Transcontinental Swap Ch. 04

Story Info
A convenient extension of one couple's marriage.
7.7k words
4.65
26.8k
10

Part 4 of the 6 part series

Updated 10/22/2022
Created 11/09/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Romantic1
Romantic1
2,957 Followers

My thanks to GermanDragon for his outstanding editing skills on this story and several others after they were posted. Any errors that remain are mine.

Transcontinental Swap -- Ch. 04

A convenient extension of one couple's marriage

Personals: Transcontinental Couple Seeking Similar

Couple for Unusual Relationship

Synopsis of Past Chapters: Julie and Russ have superb jobs that have pulled them to opposite coasts. Being oversexed, they sought another couple with the 'reverse' problem where the woman was on the west coast where Russ' job took him, and the man in the Cambridge area where Julie had just gotten tenure at a prestigious college. Through an ad they meet and subsequently deeply connected on many levels with Jo and Dirk. While they find the sex satisfying with their new partners, Russ, Julie, and Jo go to a swing party while Julie is in California for a weekend visit with her husband.

Two weeks before Christmas was the College President's Christmas Party at the University, and the following night was the Christmas party that Dirk's company threw for their employees. These were the first two social events where we were tacitly supposed to involve our 'spouses' or significant others.

Long before, Dirk and I agreed that we'd go as a 'close friend' and let it go at that, explaining that our spouses were working on the other side of the country. There's an old saying that everybody has three lives: public, private, and secret. What I realized for the first time is that excessive amounts of alcohol make one reveal more about their hidden and secrets lives than the sober mind.

Harvard's party took place in the Widener Library, an august building named after Harry Elkins Widener, a young bibliophile who perished when the Titanic went down. About two hundred faculty members and staff were there along with the President and various deans. Also present were another hundred of Harvard's most generous donors, and another hundred of the most promising students. The whole event was invitation only except for the faculty. I felt privileged because this was the first social event of significance since I'd made tenure. Dirk and I wandered the ground floor of the beautiful building wandering in and out of the heavily wood lined reading rooms, each with a fireplace.

Dirk was on his best behavior, stayed by my side, although I didn't require that of him, and was a brilliant conversationalist. His brilliance and mine got even better as we snacked on hors d'oeuvres and partook of the fabulous wines being served.

Morton Hershier was my department chair. He latched onto me for one our rare talks that didn't address work. I think someone had told him he needed to schmooze with his minions, and so he was doing his duty but in a nice and sincere manner. Morton was three sheets to the wind although he had a reputation for being able to hold his liquor.

Things started to come a little unraveled when Morton asked how Dirk and I happened to know each other. It was an obvious enough question, but we hadn't rehearsed any 'standard' answers ahead of time. Damn. Somewhat fogged by my own indulgence in the wine, it was my substitution of the words 'lives with' for 'knows' and my awkward sentence structure that made time stand still.

I said, "My husband 'lives with' Dirk's wife out on the west coast ... so Dirk is 'with' me."

Dirk nodded to confirm my statement, although he would have nodded to about anything I said at that point even if it were a blatantly absurd statement, like 'The moon is made of silly putty.' Even as the words rolled out of my mouth, I knew I had just spilled the beans on my private life.

Morton's brain was still active enough to connect the dots. He asked, "So, you two live together on this coast while they're out there?"

Dirk nodded again. I rolled my eyes, now realizing the error of my ways but there was no way to get Pandora back in her box.

Morton went on, "So you swapped spouses? That's nice. Do you see your spouses often?"

Dirk nodded again with an innocent 'deer in the headlight' look on his plastered face.

"Morton, don't go off half cocked on this. Yes, we see our spouses every two or three weeks. Our frequent flyer miles are mounting up rapidly. This is an arrangement to ... to ... to ..." Damn I couldn't think what else this arrangement was for besides sex. Finally, I had a harebrained idea and added, "... to be sure Dirk's wife and I were somewhat protected and didn't have to live alone. We are good friends."

One of my teaching assistants had joined our conversation. He said, "Oh, I thought Dirk was your husband. You look at each other so lovingly. When you leave the office, you always seem so excited to go home and see him too."

I think I rolled my eyes towards heaven. The muck and mire I'd made for myself was getting deep, and I was sinking fast. I exclaimed, "Errrrrrr, yes, he's a good friend too, and ... errrr ... we like to have dinner together." Damn, it wasn't that what I was saying that was bad, it was the damn pauses to think of some acceptable answer in between. Why had I had so much free wine? I looked at Morton, and he knew it too, even in his inebriated state. He gave me a lecherous grin, the lascivious old man.

Trying to recover, I jabbed my elbow into Dirk's side, "Tell them about your father's business, and what you're doing to turn it around before selling it." I thought the change of topic might save me from further embarrassment.

Dirk expounded in a long, nonstop paragraph about his dad's business, babbling about raw and finished stock inventories, production problems, the economy, selling a small business, various human resource problems, taxes, and government intervention and reporting requirements.

Morton's eyes glazed over with boredom at Dirk's report, but then he turned to me and said, "Don't worry, your private life is of no concern to me. I think it's nice that you could swap spouses -- not everyone is as liberated these days."

I smiled wanly at him. There was no upside to this. I knew Morton might be the biggest gossip on the faculty, and I had just inadvertently provided him with the juiciest scandal laden piece of news he'd probably ever had land in his lap.

I had never paid attention the gossip grapevine at the University, but now I knew I'd have to see what this turned into. I recalled playing the Telephone Game as a sixth grader in school. We sat in a circle and whispered a 'secret' around a circle of the entire class. By the time it got back to the teacher, every fact was wrong and entire new dimensions had been added to the original statement.

After socializing a little more, Dirk and I walked the campus until we burned off enough alcohol content to be safe and legal to drive home. Dirk sympathized with me, but he also saw great humor in the situation and tended to laugh more than empathize with my now defunct campus reputation.

Dirk's Christmas Party was the next night. His company was small and intimate. Dirk had explained to his secretary superficially what Russ, Jo, he, and I were doing; he told me he even used the term 'temporary spouses' in his explanation. She apparently was the biggest gossip in his company. Consequently, when I showed up I was the center of attention, and probably perceived as the biggest slut in history. In this setting, I almost didn't care, so I just had a good time.

Dirk's parents were at the party, and initially cold and distant. I hated meeting them in this situation, and I'm sure they saw me as a threat to their son's marriage. Our initial conversation was stilted and awkward. Dirk had told his parents almost nothing about our relationship other than I was a friend.

Dirk's secretary Margo joined our conversation circle. She knew who knew and who didn't, so she felt she could be quite open about our whole situation. Margo blurted out quite openly, even slurring a few words, "I think what you and your husband are doing with Dirk and Jo is so special. You know if my husband -- the jerk -- was away all this time by himself, he'd find himself some bimbo and lord knows where I'd end up."

I smiled politely. I said, "Jo and I also have formed a deep friendship. Russ, my husband, is exceptionally fond of her, as I am of Dirk." I turned to Dirk's parents, "There is no intent to disrupt the marriages. We developed these friendships to be sure our long-term relationships are preserved in this awkward time when we're focusing on careers and so many other things simultaneously." I grabbed ahold of Dirk's arm and held it to me, "Dirk has become my best friend here, and Russ is Jo's best friend out in California. This seems to be working. I know it's unconventional. We're learning as we go."

As we talked with Margo and Dirk's parents, Dirk extolled my virtues, talked about the house, and then launched into my career accomplishments, such as my unprecedented tenure at Harvard. I could see my stock rising as I watched his parents. He had me say a few things about my career and Russ' as well.

Suddenly, Dirk's mother moved in and gave me a huge hug. She was a large overweight lady, and I felt almost smothered in her affection. She said, "I think you are just what this situation needs. I know my son, and if he doesn't have a woman around to keep him in line, he'll get out of line." She looked at Dirk, and tweaked his chin with two fingers, and then back at me; "Thank you."

After that, our conversation got a little more cordial. With a lot of laughs, I helped Dirk pass out frozen Christmas turkeys to the employees for them to cook as their big meal. Apparently, this was a tradition in the company. I got to meet everyone, and seemed to be welcomed just the way Jo would have been.

Margo really warmed up to me too. She didn't want to leave my side, mainly because she was so curious as to how we were making this dual, bicoastal swap of spouses work. I think she also wanted specific details about our sex life, but I managed to not get as sauced as I had the night before, so I kept my mouth shut about the 'good stuff' to her disappointment. I knew we'd see her again, and I even heard some talk with Dirk about getting together with Margo and her husband for dinner sometime. I wondered if that was code for 'I'd like to fuck my secretary while you fuck her husband.'

A week later, Bree captured Dirk for the Gynome Research Christmas Party. I laughed at all the possibilities that this web of new relationships created. Everyone knew she was single and dated, so she didn't have a whole lot of explaining to do about her boyfriend.

* * * * *

The Harvard campus had pretty well shut down for the Christmas holidays when I went into my office on Monday. A few grad students and TAs were around, but even most of the faculty had fled for the season. I wandered the halls to say hello to some of my colleagues and friends in other departments I hadn't had time for during the past semester. We were all in a happy holiday mood.

I thought all was going well until after lunch when I was trying to clear up my desk and get my undergraduate grades to the registrar. Steph Tericos, another prof in the psych department, stuck her head in the door with a big smile on her face and an excited tone to her voice. "Will you talk about it?"

Inside, I knew what was coming, but I played dumb. "Talk about what?"

"You and your hunky boyfriend that you're apparently sleeping with while your hubby is off on the west coast; you know, the handsome man you had at the Christmas Party -- oh, I wish I'd come over and met him." She looked so proud that she had the headline on the gossip boiled down to one sentence.

I said in a matter of fact tone, hoping to defuse the rumor mill, "Oh, that. Old news. We've been living together for months. Did you get the whole story or is that it?"

"You mean there'smore?" Stephanie's mind clearly lusted for details. She was a relationship person anyway, and both taught and counseled in the field. She flounced further into my office and dropped into the one open chair in front of my desk that wasn't piled high with periodicals and books.

I said in calm tone, "Well, Russ is living with my boyfriend's wife on the west coast. We arranged to have temporary spouses. Jo, the other woman, and I both wanted a man around the house, particularly at night and on weekends when males are supposed to fix things, shovel sidewalks of snow, and do other manly things. So we found another couple with the mirror problem to what Russ and I have, and agreed to a trade around, sort of like that television show 'Wife Swap.'" The TV show emphasized that sex wasnot part of the TV swap; I hoped for a halo effect.

Steph looked slightly disappointed, as though she were the last one in on all the news. She said, "You mean you're not having wild sex every night?"

I guess the pupils in my eyes must have dilated or shrunk or whatever it is they do when someone hits the nail on the head and you don't want to talk about it. I also hesitated more than a second in answering, torn between telling a blatant lie or admitting our actual activities. Steph is an alert observer. My silence lasted too long.

Steph gawked at me, and before I could speak, she did; "YOU ARE!! You're a swinger. That'sway cool." She whispered, "Joe and I have thought really seriously about doing something like that. If you ever want some company, you know, please consider us. You like Joe; and he likes you. You're both horny all the time, but then so am I, but Joe's off the map." I had confided in Steph about the time Russ first went to the west coast about my need for sex and my perpetual horniness. She informed me that based on her research all psychologists have an obsession with sex and verge on nymphomania, if they aren't over the line already.

I was temporarily speechless, but Steph took my look and silence as an invitation to continue. "I hope you won't think it improper or anything, but Joe and I have brought your name up in our bedroom play ... you know, a little fantasy tease while we're messing around."

I muttered, "I'm flattered." Steph's remark was almost too much information, but then she was in the process of propositioning me in a subtle way. Once I realized that I made a rather mad decision. "Well, let me talk to Dirk and see what he thinks. Do you think it's wise that we do stuff like that together when we work together?"

Steph nodded. She added, "You're the only person -- the only couple -- who I'd consider doing this with. I really like you and Russ ... and Dirk looked dreamy. I think I could get into him too. At this stage, I couldn't just do anyone, but ... well, you know."

I got the drift of her comment. I explained, "We have more than a swinging relationship with Dirk and Jo. They're very good friends, and we all have great affection for each other. You might even say that we love each other -- more so everyday."

As I talked I became aware of the blurring line between my private and secret lives. I thought I wanted itprivate that Russ and I had this relationship with another couple. I wanted itsecret that Bree had joined us and that I'd recently spent a night fucking my brains out at my first swinger party.

Steph said, "I understand, and that'd be fine with Joe and me. We really like you guys too, and we're both very affectionate and loving. Just so you know, we've never done anything like swing, but I think we have some friends that are into the lifestyle. If we ever get used to it, maybe we could do a party or something. Would you come if we did?"

"Oh, Steph. You're loading me up with too much too fast. I guess I have to say 'Maybe.' Things aren't quite as simple as you make out." I added, "I trust you're not about to leave here and continue that gossip or what we just talked about."

"No, but you should know Old Man Morton mentioned you're arrangement to me, only because we got to talking about unique living arrangements as part of my relationships course. I don't think he's told anyone else; there's no one around except the two of us this time of year anyway. Also, he seemed a little vague, as though he wasn't all that sure about what he recalled."

I laughed, "That's because he was shit face loaded on the wine at the college's party when I inadvertently told him. I was too. I'm surprised he could even remember we talked. That's good; it's not that I'm hiding this; it's just that I don't want to wave our arrangement in everyone's face. For a supposedly liberal campus, it's amazing at how traditional and staid some of the faculty can be."

"Yeah, tell me about it. Well, I don't want to advertise that Joe and I want to be swingers or lovers either."

"I'll keep your offer in mind."

* * * * *

Christmas week, Russ and Jo flew back to Boston to join Dirk, Bree, and me to celebrate. Russ, Bree, and I also went up to my parent's home in Portland, Maine for Christmas Eve day, while Jo and Dirk went to her sister's home outside Philadelphia for a day after visiting with Dirk's parents.

The visit to my parents turned into more than intended. We introduced Bree as a close friend whose parents were far away (true), but my mom is insightful and read between the lines.

Mom pulled me aside late in the morning. She said bluntly, "You're in love with Bree."

I said, "Yes. She'd become my best friend."

"No, I mean you reallylove her. Romantically. She loves you and Russ too. It shows."

I studied my mother; "Are you upset by that?" Some of my counseling questions came to the fore. If you don't want to directly discuss the subject, you can deflect it back with a deep thoughtful question.

Mom responded, "No. I guess I'm excited for you, and I hope it lasts and makes you all happy. Be careful of each other's feelings." She studied me with squinted eyes. "There's more to this situation than that, isn't there?"

I nodded.

There were no keeping secrets from my mother. She had a magic can opener and could pry every secret in my head from me sooner or later. I must have that transparent look on my face and a flashing arrow over my head that says, 'There's more!'

I said softly, "There's also another couple involved with us."

My Mom's eyebrows rose about as high as I've ever seen them go, even when I came home at age fifteen and told her that I was no longer a virgin. She gestured with her hand that I should say more.

I explained, "They live in California, but the man -- Dirk -- has to be on the east coast for a couple of years. Russ has to be on the west coast for at least that, so we arranged to ... well, trade spouses with them. Dirk has become my temporary husband, and Russ is with Jo, Dirk's wife, as her temporary husband. We have come to care deeply about them too -- mind, body, and spirit, just as you taught me. Dirk and me here, with Bree, and Russ and Jo on the west coast."

Mom rolled her eyes upward and twisted her lips to the side as she contemplated that transcontinental arrangement. Finally, she gave a nod of approval with her head. She said authoritatively, "Be sure everyone is on the same page and going along at the same pace; don't take things for granted. You need to talk between all of you at least once a week. Maybe some day, I'll tell you how I know to say that." With that she turned and walked off to the kitchen.

Mom had piqued my curiosity with her last statement, but I also knew better than to try to pry any information from her that she wasn't willing to share. I'd save that discussion for a time when I could talk to her alone without Russ, Bree, or my Dad wandering around too.

For some reason, I felt relief that my liberal mother knew about our situation, at least in part. I'd felt the same way with Steph too. Private lives are meant to be shared with someone. Maybe secret lives are too, but I wasn't ready to tell my mother everything about my life just yet. I figured she might come unglued if she knew about the swing party Russ and I had gone to, or that I was considering a swing with Steph and her husband.

Romantic1
Romantic1
2,957 Followers