TRC - Searching for the Sky Ch. 02

Story Info
Friend? Friend! Taken, Underestimated.
9.2k words
4.81
18.3k
31

Part 2 of the 35 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 06/19/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BluDraygn
BluDraygn
1,969 Followers

Welcome back!

We learn how Kal ended up in the situation from the first chapter.

For those of you reading The Runesmith Chronicles for the first time I recommend going back and starting with Book 1 (just search for The Runesmith Chronicles or click on my name). It isn't necessary, but it will give you have a better understanding of how things like the magic system works and what's going on.

Each time I put up a new post I update my Bio with the latest Chapters and projects I'm working on.

As always votes and feedback are greatly appreciated!

Enjoy!

Blu

------

Edited by: Old Fart

------

Chapter 2

As Kal stirred the pan's ingredients and prepared to cook up the small pile of meats he had picked out for his guest, he thought back to the events from almost two weeks ago that had gotten him into this situation...

------

Standing before a heavy wooden door, Kal lifted large iron ring attached to it and let it fall, the sharp clang as it struck the metal plate echoing throughout the clearing around him. Looking up, he wondered why so many wizards he'd heard about lived in towers. Quite often, their homes were described as garish structures that stuck out from their surroundings in a way that made them impossible to ignore. The one in front of him was no different. Standing far above the trees in a small forest northwest of Carriston, it was easily seen from a great distance away. Then again, he couldn't judge them too harshly since he planned on setting up a small city in the middle of a mountain.

He felt the faint vibrations of people moving around inside the tower long before he could hear anyone through the thick oaken door.

"Master! Someone is at the door! Can I let them in?!" came a female voice from above.

Kal looked up just in time to see a flash of golden hair disappear into one of the tower's windows, followed by a faint grumbling response from someone further inside. A few seconds later a wizened old face emerged from the same opening.

"What do you want?" he said with a sneer.

"My name is Kal," he called up to the man, "I'm looking for someone to teach..."

"Go away! Come back in ten years when you've learned enough about magic to not waste my time." The old man ducked back inside just as Kal was about to respond.

The young mage sighed, he hadn't expected to be welcomed with open arms, but this was still disappointing. Even as he walked away, he knew that he couldn't give up. For a generous donation to the coffers of Carriston's lord, one of the viziers had told him of a mage who was known to be well versed in dreamwalking and Astral magics.

The lich that had dragged Ikuno into the Astral Plane and attacked her was still out there somewhere. Luckily, Azrin appeared to lose interest in Kal once he had exacted his revenge upon the oni. In the time since Ikuno returned to her shrine, there had been no sign of him. On the other hand, with Kal's pitiful knowledge of dreamwalking, the undead mage could be standing right next to him in astral form and Kal wouldn't have known.

That's why he needed this wizard. He wasn't very interested in learning how to dreamwalk, but he needed to be able to protect himself and prevent the lich from doing the same thing a second time.

"I'm not cheap! Bring a bunch of money when you come back!" came a yell from behind him.

Kal spun around and yelled back, "Money is not... a problem," he finished lamely. The man had already walked away from the window. He shook his head as he continued back towards where he had made camp.

------

The heavy iron doorknocker crashed into the strike plate again the next day, this time Kal stepped back and looked up toward the window the man had spoken from yesterday. He only waited a few moments before a pretty blonde girl stuck her head out, her paws resting on the windowsill.

Wait... paws?

Kal looked again and, sure enough, there were paws instead of hands. As he looked closer he noticed that what he had thought was just blonde hair included two ears with rounded bottoms that hung down nearly to her jaw. Those ears cocked forward, and her head tilted to the side for a moment before a big grin split her face.

"It's the man from yesterday!" she yelled to someone inside, presumably the old wizard. "I'm going to let him in!"

The dog girl vanished from the window but was caught up short by an emphatic, "No!" from the wizard followed by some angry grumbling that Kal couldn't make out.

"But he might be a friend!" she said. A paw appeared out the window as she motioned in his direction.

"He might also be a thief or a ruffian," heard Kal as the man approached the window. A moment later the wizard leaned out and glared down at the younger mage, "I told you, you're too young to learn from the likes of me, go away already."

"But I can already use... dammit," again the old man walked away before he could finish speaking.

The golden-haired dog girl stuck her head out the window and was about to say something when the tower's master yelled for her. With a smile and a quick wave goodbye, she too disappeared inside.

Feeling more than a little dejected, Kal began making his way back to his tent.

------

Over the next week, Kal visited every day at about the same time. Within only a couple of days, the chipper dog girl started waiting for him at the window. One knock on the door and one request to speak to the wizard was all he made each day, though by the end of the week he found himself staying longer just to speak with the wizard's servant.

"Are you a slave?" asked Kal. He was laying on the grass beneath the window with his hands behind his head since it made it easier to speak with her.

She had shifted her arms back to human and was now resting her head on them as she leaned on the windowsill. She thought for a long moment before replying, "I think I am. My mother was a slave and ran away to have me. She ended up here right after I was born and, according to Master, died almost as soon as she gave me to him. But Master has had other wizards visit and he has never treated me like those men treat their slaves or put one of those nasty collars on me." A grin crept across her face and her voice dropped to a conspiratorial whisper, "Although we still do the slave stuff sometimes, especially when I'm in heat," she said her eyes twinkling like she had just revealed some big secret. "I try to get him to do it more often, but he tells me he is too old and needs to save his energy, so he can make it through my next cycle."

Kal laughed, "You sound less like a slave and more like a companion."

The dog girl stood straight up, the strip of leather covering her breasts doing little to keep them from bouncing in a way Kal had to admit he found very pleasing. It had been a while for the mage. "Companion! I like the sound of that! I want to be Master's companion!" Her arms shifted back to those of a golden-furred canine and she went bounding up the steps behind the window, calling for the old wizard.

A worried look crossed Kal's face as he got up, he hoped his words didn't end up causing trouble for the good-natured pup. As he began the trek back to his camp, he thought that tomorrow's supply run to Carriston couldn't have come at a better time. The tent he got from Dai took care of several his needs but didn't make things like food and toiletries magically appear. If things went bad between the girl and wizard, it gave them time to cool down and keep him from getting incinerated by the old man when he returned.

------

It wasn't the most expensive inn on this side of Carriston, but several merchants had praised it for clean rooms and good food when he arrived in the area a couple of weeks ago. As he stood from his table in the dining room he had to agree with them, at least on the food. Kal politely waved off the barmaid who had been giving him eyes all night as he made his way up to his room. Not that the girl wasn't pretty enough to take to bed, on the contrary, the short brunette was rather comely and the upper clasps on her bodice seemed to be coming undone as the night went on. At the moment, however, Kal was mentally exhausted after a day of haggling and bartering over in the merchant's square while simultaneously being wary of anyone who might be eyeing him up as a potential target. It wasn't the first time since he set out that he wondered how people could live in such a place.

Entering his room, he turned around and twisted the small knob that locked the door. It was strange thinking that the same mechanism was on all the doors back at Master Ellis's inn back in the little town of Telsin where he had grown up, he'd just never noticed because he had never felt the need to use them. Luckily his lesson on the importance of locking his room turned out to be as benign as a drunken patron of the inn stumbling into his room by mistake. Even though the man hadn't meant any harm, the situation turned extremely awkward when Kal jumped out of bed to confront the invader. Over the last two years, he had become used to sleeping in the buff.

That wasn't a habit he was willing to give up just yet. For him, an inn with a reputation for clean beds and rooms would get his consideration before ones deemed upper-class establishments. Besides, though he was by no means poor, there was no sense in wasting the money he had.

Kal removed the leather vambraces from his forearms and set them next to his pillow. He'd never been attacked while staying at an inn but felt it was wise to have the runes that enhanced his strength and speed nearby in case that changed, he didn't need to worry about the healing rune since it was now tattooed on his back.

As he climbed into bed he took a moment to be grateful for Ria's assistance on his journey so far. She stored items in a kind of stasis where they stopped aging, this meant that he could make these trips into the city less often since the food he purchased would never go bad while it was inside her.

He was just about to drift off when he felt a surge of pleasure through his bond with Perra.

'Missing me?' he asked her.

'You have no idea! I was thinking I would be in the mood less once I was pregnant, but it seems to be the exact opposite. Kahrin was kind enough to loan me one of her toys to help take the edge off.'

'I imagine that came with a price?'

Kal felt Perra's laughter through the connection, 'Sort of. She asked me to return it unwashed after I've just used it, so she can clean it off herself then drag Bren back to their room. I'm not sure what his thing is with my taste but it's kind of cute how flustered he gets at the idea. Kahrin finally told me that while he has always had a thing for the taste of women, he only gets all embarrassed when it's me.

'For some reason that doesn't surprise me. Is her toy the reason you were so loud a few minutes ago?'

'Was I?'

'Enough that I felt it way over here.'

'It was nice to have something to squeeze down on, I might need to get one of these for myself. It would have been even nicer if it had been you.'

'Sorry, dear. Feel like another round? I wasn't in the mood when I came to bed, but you sort of changed that."

'At the same time? Absolutely!'

Kal smiled as he threw his bedclothes down towards his feet. He wrapped his fingers around himself as he started focusing on what Perra's hand was doing far, far away back in their farmhouse.

------

Kal approached the tower two days later, having arrived too late yesterday for a visit. He wasn't terribly surprised when the golden-haired dog girl didn't greet him at the window. Without using his speed or haste runes, Carriston was nearly a day's travel from the wizard's tower. With the travel there and back, as well as a day for shopping, three days had passed since their last conversation.

He hoped that her discussion about upgrading her status from slave to companion had gone well. He failed to see any issue, from her own description he treated her more like a companion and it would do little more than change her title. That said, one thing he had learned was that humans could be weird about titles. Even in his own experience, he had a difficult time adjusting to the idea that he was now a mage once he had left most of his farming duties behind. Not to mention when he revealed to the townsfolk of Telsin that he was a magic-user, and everyone began calling him 'Master.' While their interactions may not change dramatically, having the dog girl as a companion would put them on more even footing than a Master/slave relationship. He could see where an old man stuck in his ways might have a problem with that.

He lifted the heavy piece of iron hanging from the front of the door and let it fall, announcing his presence. Kal then stepped back far enough to see into the lowest window, through which he had spoken to the tower's occupants before. He knew that there was a spiral stair that ran right behind the opening and he waited intently for some sign of movement since he was too far away to feel vibrations from the people inside.

"Ria, I need my staff," he said to the pouch on his belt after he saw the old wizard pass by. Apparently, things had not gone well with the dog girl's request for a status change. The older mage must have been sprinting down the steps, but the tiny flash Kal saw of him showed a man enraged. A moment later a speck of light from his bag of holding touched his palm and a staff with a gold cap on one end and a platinum one on the other appeared. He then reached out and touched the runes on his vambraces with magic, but didn't activate them. This allowed him to keep them in a primed state where he could easily pour magic into them with a thought.

There was a quiet click before the door swung inward as if kicked in by a giant. The ear-splitting shriek of protest from the metal hinges made Kal wince but he couldn't free up his hands to cover his ears. The old wizard was stomping towards the open doorway and already about halfway through drawing the rune for his spell with the tip of a wand. Kal recognized the rune but had never seen this particular spell cast before, he also knew he had a fraction of a second to either take it head on or get out of the way. Taking the spell head-on was doable but would bite deeply into his magic reserves, it also would look amazing and show the old man that he was a formidable wizard worthy of teaching.

Deciding that the man wasn't in the mood to talk about Kal's education opportunities, he chose the wiser route and activated his strength rune, jumping up and towards the tower. In the same moment he went airborne, a small streak of flame sizzled through the air where he had just been standing. Kal's feet came to rest on the tower wall and he reached out with his knowledge of geomancy to anchor himself to the stone, the strength rune staying lit up with a dull glow that gave him the ability to stand upright despite the odd angle.

He looked up just in time to see the spell reach the end of its range where it ballooned into a swirling mass of orange and red flames nearly ten paces across. Perhaps he shouldn't joke about getting incinerated as he had at the end of his last visit. A blast of hot air buffeted Kal as the flames dissipated, pushing back the old wizard who had just barely stepped out of the door. The fireball vanished so quickly that only the grass near the very center was charred and still alight in places. The remainder of the plants in the area were only singed, including a few of the nearby trees on the edge of the tower's clearing. Seeing the blackened circle and how large the flaming sphere had been, Kal was glad that he had gotten out of the way. If that had hit him where he was standing it might have engulfed the old mage as well.

The thought flickered through his head that he was being a bit arrogant about the situation, being more concerned about the old man than his own safety. However, the fire resistance rune on his bracer was unique. Where other runes of this type were throttled to keep the magic requirements within reason, Kal had modified his and removed the restriction. Instead, he opted for a bit of resistance where the limit had been but was something he could push through if necessary. Going beyond that point, the energy needed got increasingly larger as the protection included higher and higher temperatures.

Regaining his feet just inside the door, the wizard ran outside and peered about, searching for the young man.

"Listen, I'm sorry about..."

The mage whipped around at the sound of his voice, brandishing the wand and screaming "Give her back!" In an instant, the man had drawn another spell then shoved the wand through the rune still floating in the air. The ornate piece of wood drew in the glowing rune near its base, carvings along the wand's length lit up with eldritch power as the spell traveled toward its tip. Kal brought his arm up in front of him and a magical shield snapped into place above an aqua colored rune. The energy gathered at the tip of the wand momentarily before a lavender bolt of energy streaked towards the younger man.

The force of the impact stung Kal's arm and places on the shield quickly reformed from where the bolt had stripped it away. He stared wide-eyed over the edge of the glowing disk at the man on the ground, Ikuno's spells hadn't hit that hard!

The wizard was also looking up in surprise, this boy had summoned a shield without drawing a rune or creating a magic circle, not to mention that the shield had survived his wand-enhanced magic bolt. It was also slowly sinking that this man was casually standing on the wall of his tower as if it were level ground.

"I don't have her!" said Kal hurriedly as he saw the old man recover and begin drawing another spell. The only 'her' the mage could be talking about was his dog girl servant as far as he knew.

"Liar! You were the one who brought up that companion nonsense and when I told her no, she ran off to be with you! For the last week you are all she has talked about," the man's voice went from angry to bitter.

"I've been off getting supplies the last few days! I haven't even been around! Besides, if I had taken her why on earth would I come back? Certainly not to end up looking like that!" he pointed with the end of his staff at the circle of blackened grass, his other arm was still occupied with maintaining the shield.

The wizard considered his words for a moment before releasing the spell he had partially drawn, another one of those hard-hitting energy bolts, but he didn't lower his wand. "Then why are you here?"

Kal sighed, "For the same reason I started coming here. I need to learn how to protect myself from astral attacks."

"You don't know astral magic?" the man seemed genuinely confused.

The young mage shook his head, "My teacher had no aptitude for it, so she couldn't teach me."

The wizard's confusion deepened as he processed what the young magic-user had said. Kal raised his shield as the man began drawing another rune in the air but this one didn't seem directed at him. When the wizard activated the spell the magic instead flowed towards the man's ears and eyes. "Answer me honestly, did you take Rose?"

Now Kal understood, the man had cast a lie detection spell. "Rose? Is that the dog girl's name?" The wizard nodded. "No, and I haven't seen her since the last time she and I spoke here at the tower."

"Do you know any astral spells?"

Kal had to think for a moment, "Some of my cantrips might be astral in nature but beyond that, no."

"Do you know where Rose is?"

"Odd question, but no, I don't."

The old mage thought for a moment before cursing under his breath and walking back into the tower, slamming the door behind him. The soft click once the door was shut making it quite clear that he didn't want to be followed.

BluDraygn
BluDraygn
1,969 Followers