Trust Me

Story Info
From Omaha to Oregon was an escape he desperately needed
24k words
4.12
78.9k
71
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,590 Followers

Author's Note: I was both surprised and flattered to be invited to participate in the "Legends" contribution for the July 4th holiday. Although I am a "Canuck," and often write stories based in Canada, I chose to use the USA as a setting for this yarn. This is not a hard core Loving Wives contribution, but it is typical of my type of story. I hope some of you enjoy it.

Trust Me: A Story for Legends Day

Chapter 1 Antoinette Betancourt

At age twenty-eight, it wouldn't be uncommon for an attractive young single woman to suffer angst about finding a life companion ... specifically in her case, a husband. Time had already marched on, leaving in its dust a collection of men who simply didn't measure up to Miss Antoinette "Toni" Betancourt's expectations. However, she wasn't about to accept Mr. Right Now in place of Mr. Right; ticking biological clock or not. She'd had a few boyfriends and was intimate with a couple of them, but none were really what she wanted.

Toni freely admitted that she was quite fussy about what type of man she was interested in. She should have some choice, after all. She was attractive, if not spectacular. Five-foot-six, one hundred and twenty-five pounds, a nice, fully developed body, regular facial features, dark chestnut hair cut short at the neckline, and dark brown eyes. Her teeth were even and her smile displayed them nicely. She had a very good, responsible job, and a nice place to live.

Toni was not a virgin ... not by any means. She'd been deflowered at age seventeen at her high school junior prom by a rather arrogant young man who, having had is way with her, wanted no more to do with her. It was a demoralizing lesson to be sure, and she decided she would be much more careful choosing a boyfriend in the future. That caution had continued through her remaining year of high school, four years of college, and now her business career.

It wasn't that she was without male companionship. It was just that she was very cautious of whom she allowed into her bed. But none of the men she associated with were marriage material, and thus their relationships were short-lived. She could count on one hand those who she allowed to become intimate with her, and now, as time ticked away, she was still without a likely candidate for a husband. She was looking for something in a man that she couldn't yet define; a something that would tell her that "he" was the one. The thought of children had been pushed back into the recesses of her mind. She wasn't depressed, but she longed for excitement, companionship, and love in her life. At some point, everyone longed to be truly loved. A successful career wasn't enough.

~*~

Jennifer Terrell was her best friend. She worked in the accounting office of the dairy plant where Antoinette was the Assistant QA Manager.

"Are you going to the street festival, Toni?" Jennifer asked as they enjoyed their morning coffee break.

"I haven't decided, Jen," was Toni's vague answer. Her friend was distracted, Jennifer realized. This wasn't something new. She knew Toni was still searching for something ... or someone.

"A nice hot summer day, lots of young hunks around to seduce, a chance to wear some scanty summer clothes. You don't want to pass that up, girl."

Her friend and co-worker looked at her with a puzzled smile. "When was the last time you saw me seduce anyone?"

"There's always a first time, Toni. It'll be a real 'meet market' on Saturday. Then there's the outdoor dance at the plaza. A hot looking number like you should have no trouble finding a suitable male. In fact, you'll probably have to fight them off when they see you in that new summer dress."

"I don't know whether I've got the nerve to wear that thing in public," Toni admitted.

"Hey ... it's not like it's indecent. It's just sexy. You won't be the only woman displaying her wares," Jennifer laughed.

It wasn't as if Toni had something better to do, so she allowed Jennifer to talk her into attending both the street festival and later, the dance at the town plaza. She cautiously accepted Jen's dare and wore the new, revealing summer dress her friend had talked her into buying, along with a wide, floppy, straw hat, some oversized sunglasses, and plenty of sun block for her exposed skin. Her Mediterranean complexion gave her some protection, but nonetheless she was still guarding against sunburn.

When she looked in the mirror before Jennifer arrived to pick her up, she worried that the dress was too risqué ... showing too much cleavage and a good deal of upper thigh. But when she heard her friend's car horn, she had no time to pick an alternative. It was the new yellow outfit, like it or not.

"Wow! Toni! You look fabulous. New sandals, too," Jennifer beamed as she surveyed her best friend.

"Thank you. I'm still a little nervous about this dress, but ... I guess it's too late now."

"Don't be so worried, girl. You look amazing. You are going to have to beat the guys off with a stick."

"I hope not. I'd rather find someone I can relate to, not just some horny guy."

"Good luck with that," Jennifer laughed as she pulled away from the curb. "I feel like a frump next to you."

"Oh, come on, Jen. You look great in that tank top and shorts. Besides, guys go for busty blondes. That's always number one on their list. Also, you're five years younger than me. They will definitely go for you first."

"Will you cut out that stuff about how old you are? You're exactly the right age to catch the right kind of man. I'm not ready for a permanent relationship. I'm going to enjoy myself for a while longer before I get serious about some guy."

"Yeah, sure," Toni laughed. "That will last just as long until 'Mr. Wonderful' comes along, regardless of your age."

"Maybe, but I'm in no rush, so if and when he does come along, I'm going to be sure he's the one."

"Good plan girl," Toni grinned, thinking Jen was mirroring her own thoughts.

They found the festival's temporary parking area laid out in a vacant school yard and prepared to board the shuttle bus. The passengers on the shuttle were in a good mood, anxious to see what the various booths and entertainers had to offer. The youngsters were asking all sorts of questions about what they would find to see and do. It was a short five minute ride before everyone stepped down onto the riverside walkway that marked the north end of the festival area. A few steps toward the town center and they could immediately feel the heat of midday radiating from the pavement.

The two women looked around, seeing most people walking up the rise of the main street. They could hear music among with the noise of people and activities. The festival was contained within a rectangle of a four block square, with craft and art exhibits, local store displays, a car show, an antique tractor display, carnival rides for the kids, and a mini farm market with a variety of food and other homemade items. The smell of cooking food was pervasive from assorted vendors throughout the area. They continued to walk up the incline toward the town plaza in the center of the festival area.

~*~

They'd been walking around the perimeter of the plaza, stopping to gaze at various exhibits and, from time to time, listening to one or another of the street musicians.

"It's really warm, Jen. Let's find something cold and sit in the shade for a few minutes."

"Sure. You want a soft drink or a beer?"

"Soft drink. I'm sure there'll be plenty of alcohol at the plaza tonight. I'm in no rush."

"Yeah ... I think you're right. We'll pace ourselves, then let loose tonight," Jen laughed.

"Just remember, you have to drive," Toni warned. "You don't want a DUI on your record."

"Don't worry," Jen assured her. "I'm not one to drink too much, as you already know. Neither of us would consume enough combined to get drunk."

"True. We really are a couple of stick-in-the-muds, aren't we?"

"Well, maybe we can break that pattern tonight without getting stupid. We'll dance off any alcohol. We won't have any trouble finding willing partners," Jen assured her friend.

They found a nearby bench that was shaded by one of the mature cherry trees that framed the plaza.

Jen walked over to an ice cream vendor and on impulse, bought two cones and two lemon-lime sodas. The recycled paper tray held the four items securely and she returned to the bench where Toni was seated, only to find her in conversation with a rather attractive man. She smiled to herself, thinking that it didn't take very long for someone to notice her friend.

"Here you go, Toni. I see you've made a new friend already."

Toni seemed a bit flustered, but the man stepped in adroitly to ease her discomfort.

"Hi, I'm Marshall Tomlinson," he smiled, holding out his hand. "My friends call me Marsh. Is Toni short for Antoinette?" he asked, turning his attention back to the woman seated beside him.

"Very good guess, Marsh," Jennifer grinned. "You are quite correct. I'm Jennifer. Are you a local resident?"

"Uhhm, sort of. I live up river in Sandy Bar. Almost local, I guess," he smiled.

"We're both townies," Jennifer admitted.

"Are you enjoying the festival?" he asked, again focusing on Antoinette.

"So far," Toni admitted, gazing at the handsome stranger. "We haven't seen everything yet."

"I was just getting started myself. I'm new to the area, so I didn't know what to expect. Do they have this festival every year?"

"Yes," Jennifer confirmed. "It's a great draw during the last part of summer for local merchants, farmers, and residents. It's been going on for years, I guess. Long before I got here."

"I really like this town," Marshall said, looking around. "It's exactly the right size for me. I've had it up to here with big city living," he gestured with his hand to his throat. "This is the kind of life that suits me."

"I've heard that from a lot of people who live here," Toni nodded. "The pace of life is so much more relaxed. A lot of retired people find this just the right place for them. The coast is only an hour or so away, the weather is pretty good all year around, and everything we need is within a few miles."

"Yes, I'm really pleased I've decided to settle here," Marsh confirmed.

"Where are you from?" Antoinette asked.

"Council Bluffs, Iowa. I'm a reformed flatlander," he grinned.

"What do you do?" Jen asked.

"I'm a lawyer. I practice both family and civil law. I don't very often get involved in criminal law, but I do have some experience. I've acquired a partnership with Tom Pierce and James Browne. It's an ideal setup for this area. I'm replacing a gentleman who retired."

"Good for you," Jen smiled. "But you said you live in Sandy Bar. Couldn't you find a place here in Ridgeview?"

"I've only just begun looking. Currently, I'm living in my trailer. I found a nice campsite near Sandy Bar that had a vacancy and all the necessary services, so I'll live there until I can find what I'm looking for as a permanent home."

"I know that campsite," Toni said. "It's very nice, shady with all the trees, and well kept."

"You're right, it is," Marsh smiled. "It will do me until I find what I'm looking for."

"What are you looking for?" Jen asked boldly.

"A single family home with some property, room for a dog, and a place to park my trailer."

"You shouldn't have too much trouble finding what you want," Toni offered. "It's a lot cheaper here than living in the city, too."

"I've already discovered that," he smiled. "I'm really hoping I'll find just the right place."

"No wife or children?" Jen asked pointedly.

"Nope. You applying for the position," he chuckled.

"No ... no ... just curious," she backtracked rapidly.

"You can see my friend is the shy, retiring type," Toni said with a smirk.

"Quite all right," Marsh assured them, "I'm getting used to small town curiosity. But of course, that works both ways."

"Hah!" Jen laughed. "Well, since you're curious, we are both single, we both are currently without boyfriends."

"Well, you both are very eligible young ladies. It's my good fortune to have stopped here and introduced myself. I hear there is a dance in the town square this evening. Are you ladies planning to attend?"

"Yes," Jen answered immediately. "Will we see you there?"

"I think I will if you two will save me a dance," he smiled.

"Then you'll find us quite happy to save you a dance," Jen assured him.

"Good. Until then, I think I'll wander around and see what the festival is all about."

He rose and extended his hand, first to Jennifer, then to Antoinette. Jen shook his hand genially, but when Toni and Marshall touched, she felt something pass between them. She had a look of surprise on her face as they parted. That was an unexpected experience. She couldn't remember ever having that happen before.

"See you later, ladies," he smiled once more before turning and walking away.

The two women watched as he wandered off. Tall, possibly in his mid-to late thirties, sandy blonde hair with an attractive wave at the temples, blue eyes, a slightly crooked nose, and a strong jaw: A more than acceptable appearance. And ... a lawyer who would be setting up shop in town. Altogether quite attractive, Toni thought.

"Wow, Toni, he is nice. Handsome and eligible, too."

"Well, we'll get a better look at him tonight, won't we," she said carefully, still a bit confused by the feelings that his light touch stirred in her.

"He's new, so none of the local girls have got their hooks in him yet. Here's your chance, Toni."

"Whoa, Jen. It's a little early for that, isn't it," she cautioned, knowing full well that Jen was only echoing her own thoughts.

Chapter 2 Marshall Tomlinson

Marshall Tomlinson stood an inch short of six feet tall, with what might be called craggy good looks. He displayed a slim, fit build, and neatly trimmed sandy blonde hair. His most distinctive feature was his deep blue eyes. He was thirty-five years old and more than ready to start a new career. He had earned his law degree in Iowa at Waterloo State, admittedly not the most prestigious law school. Marshall had lived on campus for the entire four years. His original plan was to work in a large city law firm, ultimately hoping to earn a partnership. A tragic event and its aftermath ended that hope, and he took the opportunity to leave the firm when the timing was right.

The firm had given him a well-rounded experience in law, as well as a very handsome income. But with the opportunity of a partnership snatched away, he began to plan his alternate future. In truth, he discovered he didn't really enjoy corporate sized firms with their ferocious competitiveness, or the sixty to seventy hour work week. When his search for an opportunity to buy into a smaller firm had come up with a likely candidate, he quickly responded to the notice. It looked promising, and he flew out to Eugene, Oregon, interviewing with the two existing partners.

Marshall had an easy way about him that was both engaging and direct. The biggest concern his two would-be partners had was his ability to adapt to a small town mentality and a slower pace of life. The only reservation beyond that was the reason for his leaving a prestigious law firm in Omaha.

Marshall assured them that their practice was exactly what he was looking for. After a thorough further background check and lengthy interview, the partnership was offered and the price settled on was within Marshall's reach. A month later he had severed ties with his previous employer and moved to establish himself in the little town of Ridgeview, Oregon.

He had put away most of his corporate-styled suits and silk ties when he packed his belongings. They were infrequently required in his new community. His furniture and any unnecessary items were put in storage until he acquired a permanent home. He had been living in an apartment in the city for several years, but now he hungered for a proper home with some space and perhaps a garden ... maybe even a dog for company. Well, perhaps a woman might be a better companion, but there was no rush in that regard.

His trailer was a recently reconditioned 28 foot Airstream, circa 1975. He'd paid $15,000 cash for it at an estate sale. A quick pre-check told him that similar units in this condition were selling for as much as $25,000. It was large enough to exist in, but little more. The queen sized bed was a bonus, and while the kitchenette, toilet and shower were minimal, he could survive in it for a few months. His GMC Yukon was more than powerful enough to haul it wherever he wanted to go. The big unit was not out of place in Ridgeview. Pickup trucks and SUV's appeared to outnumber conventional automobiles.

He'd been wary about moving too quickly to buy into the law practice here, but one look at the surrounding countryside and town, its location, and the pace of life, told him that this was what he had been looking for. In addition, the reputation of the firm was spotless. His parents were distressed that he was moving so far from their home, but understood he had to find a place to settle that would satisfy him. His father, a banker, understood better than his mother that Marshall was decidedly unhappy at the law firm, yet enjoyed and thrived in the practice of law. His future at the big firm was at a dead end, a fact his father reluctantly acknowledged. It was best to look for a new practice and start again.

His parents had lived most of their lives in Council Bluffs, just across the river from Omaha and the law firm where Marshall had been employed. His office was an easy commute from his apartment home. He'd bought a car just after his seventeenth birthday with money he'd saved from his summer and weekend job at a hardware distribution center. As his income had grown at the law firm, he treated himself to a newer and better vehicle, settling on an SUV since he had ambitions to own a boat some day. That hadn't happened yet, but moving west to Oregon, and needing a place to live, motivated him instead to buy the Airstream. It could easily be resold for at least as much as he paid for it. It also provided him with portable accommodations for the trip west.

When he first began his search for a new destination he had thought of California, but his travels across the northern plains and then south-west along the Columbia River Gorge, confirmed to him that Oregon held what he was looking for. Ridgeview was situated on a tributary of the Willamette River, a short distance north of Eugene. It was set between Corvallis, home of Oregon State University, and Eugene, home of the University of Oregon. It was a prosperous area and it caught Marshall's attention almost immediately. Of course, the friendly late spring weather encouraged him to view the location favorably.

Unlike the flat northern plains, the western part of Oregon had texture. The green of the evergreens, the rolling hills and valleys, the Cascade Mountains to the east, the winds off the Pacific, and even the rains in winter, kept the land bright and green. That caught his eye almost immediately. There might be prettier or other equally nice places to settle, but this was as close to his ideal as he had seen in his travels. The fact that there was a partnership for sale in an established law practice was the magnet that drew him in this direction.

He would not have to write the state bar examination since Nebraska and Iowa had reciprocity agreements with Oregon. Marshall would have to take some credit hours of continuing education, including several mandatory classes, but that posed no problem for him. A letter of recommendation from his former employer and a background check would make the transition and acceptance by the Oregon Bar Association a foregone conclusion. It was then he could begin to practice law in Riverview. There was no rush to begin work. He was overdue for a vacation, and summer in western Oregon was an ideal location.

coaster2
coaster2
2,590 Followers