Truth of the Matter

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You're just saying that. When you told me....you just didn't want me hurt. Now you try to take the blame, well some of the blame to make me feel a little better, but it won't do! The man is an asshole, a pervert and a rapist. I should have kicked him out. He never loved me, he just used me! I'll show him! It's early I'm headed to work. I have a life to live and I don't need him now, and I never did."

Connie went to work but couldn't hold it together. She went home after a few hours. From there she called Martin's boss again. She didn't get through. That made her angry. She began to imagine all the hateful things Martin must have spread about her at his office. She could play that game too.

The weekend was hard for Connie. Her mother came to spend a few days. She wanted to see if she could help. But she couldn't because she never found the true reason for the pending divorce. But it did help and by Monday Connie could face the world.

The following Wednesday she found that Martin had transferred to Minneapolis. Thursday morning she called. "Well hello Martin, guess you didn't think I would find you. Well I do have your number now!"

"How have you been?" he asked in a flat voice.

"Well let me see. Where do I begin? Oh yes I had this asshole of a husband that raped my best friend. The he walked out on me! I find his...an old phone under the sofa. It took me 40 calls to find that. You sure are cute sometimes. Oh yes and then to top it all off I get papers served. Now the whole office knows. Have you told you co-workers?"

"No things are pretty normal here," he replied.

"Well...Well..." then she began to cry.

"I have to go," was all she heard before the line went dead.

Connie cried in her office for an hour then pulled herself together. "If he wants to play hard ball, I can to. I'll get a divorce attorney." With that she set out to find the best.

She did find an attorney but neglected to tell him all the circumstances leading up to her husband filing for divorce. Sean Wilson didn't really buy her story but she was paying the bill so he set out to protect his client's interest. He made contact with Martin's attorney, Jerry Lewis. Sean knew of Jerry's reputation and played it by the book. Within a week he had all the information on Martin Jamison. He had his address, place of employment, and phone number.

He passed that along to his client thinking they might work it out before it got to court. In the mean time he prepared all the documents needed to justify Connie's claim on the joint assets of the marriage.

Connie was still on a roll-a-coaster ride of emotions. With the change in her, she found she had few friends at work. Men that use to do anything for a smile sidestepped her. The women ignored her and only spoke with her on work matters.

She read that as the office was against her. They were taking her husbands side. That only led to more friction at her work. In truth it was her unpredictable mood swings that had make all want to keep their distance. With the alienation at work she sought comfort elsewhere. One she leaned on was Roger Smith. She had called him regularly before she slept with him. She did that to get to know him. She didn't want to sleep with a man she picked up at a bar. There was too much risk of getting more than she wanted. Ma He might turn into a stalker or have an STD.

With her life shattered Connie needed reassurance she was desirable. She wanted men to want her like they had in the past. Roger was understanding and would meet her for lunch or dinner when he could. She had even given in to him several times.

It was a Friday and Connie was ready to go to work. At her front door she changed her mind. She was going to Minneapolis and face her husband. This had gone far enough. She was miserable and knew he was too. All she needed to do was see him and explain. She called in sick and headed to the airport. She wasn't happy to find no direct flights. She had to change planes in Dallas or Denver. She chose Denver because if left first.

As she flew she thought about what Roger had said. She had taken comfort in his company, his arms and his bed several times. It didn't really fill her ache but it did console her a little. It made her feel wanted and desired. But it just wasn't as rewarding as it had been with her husband. But Roger had suggested she make the trip. It would help bring closure one way or another he advised.

She arrived in Minneapolis just after noon. She had the address and was soon on her way to Martin's apartment. She had to go in the main lobby. There she found a security door that would need a code to pass through. She waited and was lucky to grab the door after a mother with children made their way through. She smiled to herself. She felt good and knew the weekend would get their problem settled and behind them. She would even move to this god forsaken ice box if she had to. She just wanted her man back in her life.

It took a lot of walking but she found Martin' apartment on the fourth floor. She looked at her watch and saw it was just past 2. She put her suitcase on the floor and sat down on it. She would wait. It was Friday. He would have to come home, if for nothing else but to change clothes.

An hour passed with little activity in the hall. Connie had a lot of time to think. Why had this happened? Why had they let it get this far. It had just gotten out of hand. She would change her story. She would say she went on the date but she had declined sex. She had just said she screwed the man to get even. She was hurt and wanted to lash out. Yes, she would lie. Wasn't he guilty of the same? Continuing too deny he had...she didn't want to think about it anymore.

About that time she became aware she was being watched. A woman three doors down the hall was giving her the eye. When Connie returned the glare the woman stepped into an apartment. Connie felt her ire begin to rise.

Ten minutes later the woman stepped back into the hall. She was dressed in shorts and a snug top. The two eyed one another for a few seconds before the woman approached. Connie stood. Each gave the other the once over.

Connie didn't like the woman at all. She was about her height, and redheaded. She had green eyes and a nice figure. In a beauty contest it might be a tossup. Finally the woman spoke. "Why are you sitting in front of Martin's door?"

"Who the hell wants to know?" Connie answered not realizing how angry she had become.

"Just think of me as the 'Hall Monitor'. Do you tell me or do I call security?"

"If you must know, I'm Mrs. Connie Jamison. Do you need ID?"

"No if you say so, I guess I'll take your word for it. Have a good day." But those words weren't sincere and it was obvious.

Connie sat back down and felt her blood boil. What or rather who in the hell had Martin been doing up here? He already had one girlfriend, that was obvious. He hadn't bothered to tell her he was still married. But the news did register on her face. Connie felt a little victory in that she had dampened the 'Hall Monitor's' ambition toward her husband.

It was almost five that night before Martin came home. He wasn't happy to see her and Connie took that as his feeling she was interfering with his social life.

When he was close she smiled. "Surprise, I just had to come and talk with you. I still love you and you.."

He cut her off. "Let's go inside."

He opened the door. She stepped in and turned to face the door. He picked up her bag, stepped inside and closed the door. Connie stepped to her husband and kissed him on the mouth. He didn't respond. That hurt her.

"What's the matter, I got bad breath?"

"No, it just didn't feel right."

"Does it feel right when you kiss that redheaded bitch?" she fumed.

"When I kiss who?"

"That big boobed, log legged trollop that calls herself the 'Hall Monitor'. She asked why I was outside your apartment. No make that 'Martin's' apartment. If you don't know her, how did she know your name?"

"I don't know what the hell you're talking about but come here." He opened the door. "See my name is right there on the door."

"I told her I was your wife, and she didn't like that one bit. Guess you didn't tell her you are married. From the way she left, you won't be getting any more of that."

"I wasn't 'that', anyway." he said as a matter of fact.

"If you don't know her, how do you know you're not getting any?"

He just liked at her like the question didn't deserve an answer.

"Martin I know you still love me. And I love you. We need to work this out and put it behind us. We can make it like old times again. We could even have a second honeymoon."

"I don't think that will work. The damage is done."

"Can't you forgive me? We both made mistakes."

"I forgave you a while back."

"Then if you forgave me and still love me, why are you being so stubborn?"

"It's like this; you took my most valued possession and broke it. You did it by accident or in anger, but you did it. You can try and glue it back together again and it might serve a purpose. But it could never be the same. Each time I saw it I would be reminded of how it had been damaged."

"Well you did it too! You fucked Ann, remember? I know all that happened. You both had been drinking and she can be a flirt, but damn it you should have stopped. You betrayed me first!"

"The hell I did! I mean I didn't touch the bitch. Drunk or sober I know she is nothing but trouble."

"Don't lie to me! I know you did and now your pretending you didn't so you can blame this all on me!"

"I didn't touch her! I'm tired of repeating it. The bitch is lying!"

"Somebody sure is lying. I know Ann might not tell the whole truth but she wouldn't lie to me about anything like that. Men are all the same!"

So it went, arguing, shouting and some crying. It was a long and unproductive night and day. Finally Martin drove her to the airport and got her to security. There they said their good-bye. The trip back to Houston was filled with a restless sleep for her. She had been exhausted by the turmoil. They had to wake her to change planes in Chicago. She arrived in Houston more fatigued than she had been when she left Minneapolis.

Sunday she slept, cried and screamed in anger. She knew she had lost her husband but it was all his fault! He just wouldn't admit his mistake and ask her to forgive him. Damn he was stubborn. He had always been stubborn. Why was he that way? It could only mean he didn't love her any more.

Connie spent a sleepless night. Monday was no better for her. By Tuesday she was on a terror. Many in the office were avoiding her. Her boss called her in late Tuesday. He told her to take the next day off and get whatever it was out of her system or not to come back. It had gotten that bad.

When Connie called her friend Ann, she knew what to do. They would go out and have some fun. By 10 they were drinking in a local club. An hour later they had men with them. At midnight they were back at Ann's place.

Connie was paired with a nice looking man. They went to bed. He made love to her. All in all he was a good lover but somehow it didn't fully satisfy her. She rolled over and went to sleep after their first engagement. The next morning she found herself alone in bed. She was not surprised or angry. Getting up she showered and went to the kitchen in a robe. On her way she passed Ann's bedroom. There she saw where her date had gone. He and the other man were tangled with the Ann.

A memory came back to Connie. It was of her Bachelorette Party. Ann had hired a stripper for her. And after a few drinks, a lot of drinks, he did his dance. Later he took her to bed. She had a little guilt but she was still single. She was not due to be married for a week. And what was Martin going to do his last few free nights?

The sex wasn't bad, in fact it was memorable. But the next morning Connie awoke to find the man in bed with Ann. Was that a pattern? Did Ann see it as some sort of competition? Did she always have to have the man after Connie, as if to prove she could take him away? At the moment she didn't want to think anymore about that. For it could mean that Ann had enticed Martin intentionally, and it was nowhere near the unwilling surrender she had described.

Connie went back to work on Thursday and did control her emotions. It helped she had lunch with Roger. Friday passed without incident. She felt she was over the worst of it. She would pick up the pieces and make the best of it. And when it was all over she would have a better life than she had ever enjoyed with Martin Jamison.

Things settled in for her for the next month. Then it came time for depositions. She and Ann were both there. A charming lawyer named Jerry Lewis was representing her husband. His manors were disarming. That made her feel better but her lawyer knew better. He tried to caution her and explain how critical it was for her to be truthful. Jerry took both their statements under oath and didn't challenge a single word.

Under oath Ann told of how Marin had forced himself on her. And Connie claimed she had always been faithful. All the time Jerry smiled that charming smile. When it was all over they were discussing having Marin come back to Texas for his deposition. That was when Jerry dropped the bomb. "I would like to take one more deposition," he stated.

Connie's lawyer asked who and why?

"The name is Roger Smith. And I believe he will have some interesting testimony. And I want you to hear this." Jerry pulled up his laptop and began a video. It was of Connie confessing her night with another man. The audio was excellent but the video had just a few pictures of Connie in the frame. However it left little doubt as to who was speaking.

Connie looked at Ann then her attorney. He had an unhappy look.

"I was just trying to make Martin understand how it felt to have the one you love....well have sexual relations with someone else."

"Oh really, you didn't use the term sexual relations when you described your night now did you?" Jerry smiled that same charming smile.

"I was mad and I just wanted to hurt him like I was hurt!" Connie defended.

"Really, tell me how is it that you are still friends with the woman he slept with. I won't use the terms you used."

"Ann is my best friend. She only did it to protect me!"

"You still contend you had no sexual relations with any other man?"

"Yes, I lied to get even."

"Then you can explain these photos." Jerry with his standard charm passed several 8x10's of Connie and Roger Smith to her. Some were of them were at a restaurant and one was them entering a hotel.

"And I have more of Mr. Smith with other women." Jerry said that as he looked at Ann.

"I don't know what any of that proves. My client is a business woman and meets many for lunch, both men and women. And she has had to attend meeting at many hotels." Sean offered.

Jerry smiled even larger. "Well let's get Mr. Smith in here and see if he can shed any light on these photos. I'm sure your client can explain her business relationship with her best friend's boss."

Connie's attorney looked at her. He had a frown and was aggravated.

"Shall we ask Mr. Smith in? He volunteered to come." True Roger Smith had come without a summons but he knew if he didn't, papers would be served. If that happened and he was taken to court he would lose his job and probably his marriage. He had an interest in keeping his name out of the divorce court. Jerry had made it plain he would call him as a witness and make sure he was served at his home. The lawyer explained 'that would keep him from being embarrassed at work'.

Roger was called in. Jerry excused himself.

Roger was extremely mad he had been caught up in the action. He was not mad he had slept with Connie, Ann and several others, but the thoughts of it being brought out would ruin him. He explained his situation then laid it on the line. "Connie if I am called into court I will swear this was a set up to break up your marriage. It was a way for you and Ann to have a threesome with me and other men. If I lose my job and family I will do all I can to ruin both of you! It was Ann that lined you up for me. I'll tell all. I even tell of Ann's bi adventures. And hint all this was to get you into bed with her!"

Connie glared at her ex-lover then at Ann. Was any of it true? Could Roger prove it or would it be just his word about Ann plan and another woman? Even a lie in court would certainly damage her case.

Her lawyer laid it on the line. If all that came out in court and Connie had only the testimony of Ann it wouldn't be good. The questions he would ask, and he was sure Jerry would be thinking along the same lines, were how could you remain married to a rapist? And if he had raped her best friend, it had been some set up. How could she remain friends with the woman her husband cheated with. And how did she come to be in bed with her best friend's boss? Yes it didn't look good.

They invited Jerry back in. He was smiling but it was the same as when he had begun. "Shall we talk terms?" he asked.

He laid out what his client's terms. He wanted 60% of all assets and release of all personal retirement accounts to the person holding them. That surprised Connie but not her attorney. Then Jerry added the insult. He made his fee payable by Connie.

He was asked to leave the room. They talked about it. Connie could get the money for the house equity from her parents. The rest would be half of the value of the furnishing still no real problem. The division of their cash was easy enough. But the $25,000.00 legal fee was a blow. Connie demanded help from both Roger and Ann on that. When it was agreed, they call Jerry back in.

With papers prepared and signed Jerry turned to leave. "I'll send these to my client and if they meet him approval I'll get them back and file them. He might want to make some changes so be prepared for that. At the best it will be a week, at the most two weeks, before I can file it as a final."

That night Connie went home and cried herself to sleep. It just wasn't right. Martin shouldn't have been so stubborn. By the next afternoon she had convinced herself to make another try at getting him to see reason. The papers wouldn't be filed for a week or two.

Getting home she went to work on her computer. She found his new phone number and called. She got a shock when the phone was answered.

"Hello" but it was a female voice.

"I'm looking for my husband! Just who are you?" Connie demanded.

"I would have thought you would have remembered me. I'm the Hall Monitor."

"And just why are you answering my husband's phone?"

"Well it is nice to hear your voice Connie, but to answer your question, Martin is in the shower."

Connie fumed and tried to make some words come out but before she could respond the woman continued. "Oh here is his now. Martin you could have at least wrapped in a towel. You're naked and embarrassing me. Here he is Connie."

Then she heard Martin, "Why should you be embarrassed, you're naked too. Yes, Connie how can I help you?"

"Martin Raymond Jamison, we're still married. You don't have the right to be...to be... fucking some old whore. Now I want you to know I have changed my mind. If you want to play dirty I can too. I'm coming up there and I'll straighten this out!"

"You can come if you want Connie but we're divorced."

"No we're not! It will take a week or two. I'll tell my attorney to block it."

"No can do, it was filed with the judge at 6 this evening. It's official."

"Damn you Martin, I see you in court....better I'll see you in person tomorrow! Maybe tonight if I can get a flight! You won't get away with this!"

"Do what you want but as far as I'm concerned it's over and when can I expect my check!"