Twelve Realms Ch. 09-10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Eventually Jacob fell asleep and dreamed of his princess. In his dreams he searched for her and every time he got close, every time he could see her face, something would pull her away from him and he would have to start his search for her again. He woke at dawn exhausted. He dragged himself out of bed, cleaned up, and got dressed before making his way to the king's study.

He found the king at his desk, reading reports from outer sectors, wearing the same clothes as the night before, rumpled and creased. William had dark circles under his clear blue eyes and Jacob noticed a tremor in his hands.

"Would you like breakfast, Your Majesty?" Jacob asked him.

"Ah, Jacob...," the king responded, his voice strained and tired. "Yes, please order up breakfast and coffee."

Jacob went over and called down to the kitchen to have breakfast delivered and then returned to the king, afraid to ask him for news.

"Fiona is still missing," William answered his unspoken question. "We know she had a meal near the space port around midnight. We are fairly sure she didn't purchase passage away from Terra."

As he spoke, there came a knocking at the door to the study. William motioned Jacob to open it. He escorted the Captain Kennedy of the royal guard in for an audience with the king.

"Your majesty. The head Foreseer sent a message at dawn. The princess spent the night in their hostel. I sent a squad to collect her, but she was gone when they arrived."

"Jacob! Do not move!" The king shouted at his squire before he could take more than two steps towards the door.

"Thank you, Captain. Please continue to search for her. You are dismissed," the king directed the officer who turned and left without a second glance.

"Jacob," the king said gently, "it's worse than I thought, isn't it?"

"I... ," Jacob gulped in air and clenched his fists. "Yes, sir."

"Jake. You know it cannot be."

"Yes, sir. I know," Jacob moaned.

"I am going to look for her. You are going to stay here."

Jacob just nodded, unable to find words to speak

***

After breakfast, William threw on an overcoat and made his way down into the city. He left his guards behind and went from one of Fiona's favorite places to the next. He went to the fording point to the Wilds and found fresh footprints leading away so knew she had been there, but was no longer. It was past midday when he finally found himself in front of the cathedral to the New Gods on the northern tip of the island. He climbed the stairs and let himself in through the heavy wooden doors.

Inside it was cool, quiet, and dark. Noon light filtered through the tall stained glass windows, candles burned in alcoves throughout the room.

"Your Majesty," a brother of the church scurried over, inclining his head in greeting. "The princess asked for sanctuary."

"I understand, brother. You cannot violate the covenants of the church.

"Where is she then?"

"Follow me, please."

The king was led to a small chapel connected to the main sanctuary. He entered and the brother silently slipped away. William let his eyes adjust to the dimness and noticed his daughter sitting in an attitude of prayer at the altar to the goddess of young women, love, and fertility.

"You set me on quite the chase, Häschen," William said, sitting down next to his daughter.

"I'm sorry, papa. I just needed to get away for awhile. To think."

"I understand.

"Have you come to any conclusions in your thinking?"

"I think I need to get further away," she turned to look at her father, tears in her eyes, her lips curled.

"I love Jacob, papa. I can't... I can't just stop. I can't stop feeling how I do."

"The problem isn't how you feel. Or how Jake feels. It's how you act on your feelings."

Fiona nodded absently.

"Would it be okay if I go visit Edward? I need to get away from here. I need the distance to give me strength," Fiona wrung her hands together. "It's not fair to Jacob. He knows his duty. I can't hurt him like this."

"You are wise beyond your years, Häschen. Visiting Sabbatical is an excellent idea. It will give Jake and you both a chance to build the barriers you both need."

Chapter 10: Sabbatical

The night before she was to leave for Sabbatical, Fiona tossed and turned in her bed, unable to sleep, unable to think of anything but her beloved Jacob. Finally she gave up, pulled on her dressing gown and snuck out of her rooms to Jacob's quarters. She held her concealment glamour tightly about her and knocked on his door. She waited and was about to knock again when the door opened and she dropped her glamour. She saw Jacob, his sandy hair tousled, his chest bare, wearing only loose flannel pants, his eyes confused before they fastened on hers.

"Jake? Please invite me in?" she whispered, her eyes bright.

"Fiona? You shouldn't be here," he said, not opening the door for her.

"Please Jake? We have to talk," she sobbed. "I have to talk to you."

He sighed, took a step back and opened the door wide enough for her to slip in. She fell into his arms. He could feel the vibration of her whole body trembling. He held her tightly against him and felt moisture against his chest from her tears. He stroked her back gently and hummed softly trying to calm her. Eventually she settled but still she clung to him. His body responded to her proximity and the feeling of her softness pressed into him.

"Fiona," he croaked, "you need to go. I can't... ."

"I know, Jake. I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't be here.

"I just... I needed to tell you. I love you. I needed you to know that.

"I'll go now," she said as she turned to leave.

He hesitated but caught her just as she reached his door. He grabbed her wrist and turned her back towards him. His tug caused her to fall heavily into his chest. His mouth fell on hers as he pushed her against his door, his body covering hers. She gasped in surprise but soon melted into the kiss. Her hands rubbed the warm skin of his chest, her fingers tugging on the short hairs.she found there. He drew open her dressing gown and his palms slid across her breasts over the satin of her night gown. He felt her nipples pebble through the thin fabric and heard a soft sigh escape Fiona's lips. His fingers brushed her gowns off her shoulders, exposing her soft breasts to him. Her body trembled as his fingers trailed down her chest to lightly stroke her. He dipped his head, licking and biting at her erect nipple and then taking it into his mouth.

"Oh Gods! Jake!" Fiona moaned, her hips rocking unconsciously against him, her hands on the back of his head, holding him against her.

"Fi. Gods, Fi!" he responded, releasing her nipple and returning his lips to her mouth, his one hand hard against her buttock, his other playing with her breasts.

Jacob released her lips and groaned when he felt her soft hands caress his erect cock through his pajamas.

"Fi... don't!" his eyes were wild as they met hers. "Please don't..."

"But Jake," her voice was throaty as she looked into his eyes, her hands gently stroked him, "I want it. I need it."

"We can't. I can't. You aren't ready."

"I AM ready," she insisted, her fingers busy along his length.

"NO!" he shouted, pulling her hands away, pinning them against the door. "We can't!"

"But, Jake..." he could hear the tears starting again. "I love you."

"Fiona. We can't make love. You aren't ready for that."

"But Jake..."

"No. I said 'no', Fiona. My body is on fire for you, I know you can feel it. But we can't take it where we both want it," he said, his voice anguished. "I'm sorry, baby. I really am."

Fiona searched his eyes and saw his decision was firm. She nodded and let the tension of her limbs ease and her head drooped onto his solid chest. She took a deep, stuttering breath and then looked back into his eyes, giving him the slightest of nods. He saw the acceptance there and let go of her hands.

"I... I really need you to go," he whispered to her. "I don't have the strength... ." He watched her as she adjusted her gowns to cover again what he had revealed. It was everything he could do not to gather her back in his arms as he saw the tears rolling down her face, her lips and chin trembling. He stood stock still, his hands in painful fists as she slipped back out of his room.

***

The king and queen sent their daughter to Sabbatical with Lady Melissa Swarthmore as her companion, each with her Lady's Maid. They left two days after Fiona's adventure in the city. The princess did not make any appearances with her father before her departure and to their knowledge did not seek to see Jacob before she left. While Fiona was glad to have Lady Melissa with her, she was not ready to take her into her confidence as to why they were making the excursion. As far as Melissa knew, Fiona simply wanted to relax and see her brother.

Fiona loved watching their approach to Sabbatical. She had not been away from Terra very often and seeing a different planet was new and exciting. She saw that Sabbatical seemed to consist of long, narrow blue seas separated by long volcanic island chains in the equatorial regions and massive snow-capped mountain ranges that spiralled out from the arctic and antarctic regions. Solar and wind farms were visible as they approached the planet's Kype. They hovered and then landed, allowing Fiona and Melissa to get a view of the city, bursting with people at midday.

"Welcome to Sabbatical, Baby Girl," Edward greeted his sister at the landing platform. "I am really delighted that you are here."

"I missed you terribly, Edward," Fiona hugged him tightly.

"Edward, you know Lady Melissa Swarthmore, don't you?" Fiona introduced her companion to her brother.

"Melissa, this rogue is my dear brother Edward."

"Your Royal Highness," Melissa dropped into a deep curtsey at Edward's feet.

"None of that now," Edward said quickly. "We are all family here.

"Dear sister, I don't know how I failed to know such a beautiful girl. Where has she been hiding?" Edward took his sister on his right arm and Melissa on his left and started guiding them into the Kype proper.

"Please don't embarrass her, Ed.

"Ignore him, Melissa. He likes to play.

"Melissa came to Terra for her debut when you were on the Royal Progress with papa. And I'm sure you've met her before. She's uncle Ian's daughter."

"Uncle Ian's daughter? Uncle Ian's daughter...? STRAWBERRIES!"

"You do remember me," Melissa groaned.

"Strawberries?" Fiona asked, puzzled.

"It was before you were born, Fi," Edward said, his eyes dancing. "My mother took me to visit Steading while papa was on a Progress. It was all very casual. We stayed at the lodge in the royal vineyards. Uncle Ian's sons and I had a grand old time playing together, as I recall, and were annoying mother immensely. She decided to get us out of her hair by having us pick strawberries in a field that has already been harvested. We were so proud of ourselves. Until." Edward threw his head back laughing.

"Until what?"

"Until we found Melissa here sitting in the middle of our basket of berries. She had strawberry everywhere. She looked like a little red demon."

"That is actually my earliest memory," Melissa mused, smiling. "Mother didn't have the heart to scold me. The multiple baths it took to get the sticky out of my hair was punishment enough."

"Now that you're here, we'll make some even better memories," Edward said, laughing.

"The Duchess has assigned you adjacent apartments. Your luggage will be delivered while we have dinner with Their Graces. The Duke is letting me escort you around for the week. Then I will have to come back here to work. You can decide where you want to spend your holiday once you've seen all that Sabbatical has to offer."

***

The Duke and Duchess, Charles and Carolyn, were wonderful hosts to Fiona and Melissa. Carolyn planned a dinner and ball in honor of the princess on her second night there over the princess's protestations, having not yet officially debuted at court. Fiona tried her best to enjoy herself and forget about Jacob, but her brother at least noticed she wasn't her usual cheerful self as they danced.

"Baby Girl, I wish you would tell me what brought you here so suddenly," Edward asked her in a rare serious moment. "What troubles you?"

"Oh, Edward... I can't rightly tell you what is bothering me," she said as they danced. "It's... well, it's personal. And I don't want to think about it... or talk about it. I'm here to forget about it."

"Very well, sister. I won't pry. But do let me know if there is anyone I can behead for you."

"I will keep that in mind," she responded with a genuine grin.

"There's the smile I've been missing," Edward laughed.

"You should dance with Melissa," Fiona said, trying to change the subject. "I really like her. She talks about things other than clothes and boys. She recommended the book I'm reading right now. She has really good taste."

"I do want to get to know her better," Edward acknowledged, thoughtfully. "Obviously her brothers are good friends of mine, but I had no idea their sister had grown into such a beauty."

"It happens. One minute a little girl, the next a grown woman," Fiona chuckled.

"Not to you, Baby Girl. You'll always be a little girl to me."

The song ended and Fiona begged off the next dance and watched Edward take a turn with Melissa.

"Lady Melissa, I want you to know that I appreciate you befriending Fi."

"Oh no, Your Highness! I knew right away when I met her that we'd be great friends. She's so sweet and funny. I really like her."

"I'm glad to hear that," Edward said as they danced. "And please call me Edward.

"I'm sure you've heard what some... people... call her."

"Unfortunately, I have Your... Edward," Melissa said sourly. "I'm not sure, but I think that's why she wanted to travel here."

"Hmm. I wasn't sure I should ask you about that. I don't want you to violate her confidence."

"Of course. My first loyalty is to Fiona. I want her to know I'm her friend. But she has kept the reason for this holiday to herself. I'm just guessing based on my own observations."

"So you think she's trying to get away from those bitches that call her names?"

"I know that Sparta gave a group of them a tongue lashing in her defense. He even threatened them physically, from what I heard. They were angry with him and made sure to let their like-minded cohort know to avoid him. And the bullying seems to have gotten worse... since she... Well, since she's developed into such a gorgeous woman."

"It's good to hear that Jake was trying to protect her. But he can't be with her all the time.

"I'm worried it won't be any better for her here, though. There are more Aelfir here than on Terra. But, if anything, they dislike half-breeds more than Terrans do."

***

The following morning Edward escorted the ladies to one of Sabbatical's many tropical resorts. He explained that the original settlement of the planet hundreds of years before had been as a vacation spot for the people of other Realms, particularly Academy and Reliquary. It was the last of the major dukedoms to be founded and was now the biggest tourist destination in the Twelve Realms. They could choose a tropical retreat and spend time relaxing and sunning themselves on a beach. Or they could go to the snowy mountains and spend their days skiing and enjoying other winter sports. Or they could go to one of the many amusement parks with thrill rides. They could go sailing. They could try a casino. They could go to plays and concerts and ballets. They could go to sporting events of every kind. They could go to museums. They could explore restaurants. If they preferred a quiet holiday, Sabbatical boasted a library to rival the University's on Academy. It was the perfect place for Fiona to forget about Jacob.

Fiona lay on a lounge chair on a beach of white sand, wearing a tiny pale blue string bikini which barely covered her enough to be decent. She wore a wide floppy hat and huge dark sunglasses and had her nose in a trashy romance novel. Melissa and Edward sat together not far away. Melissa wore a much more modest one piece suit. Fiona knew Ed was less than pleased at her revealing bathing suit. He had given her a look that she'd seen on her father's face enough times to recognize it.

The princess decided she was thirsty and wrapped a sarong around her waist and walked past other sunbathers to a cabana where she could get some refreshment. She ordered a fruity drink from the bartender who eyed her up and down as she spoke. He smiled and his eyes lingered on her breasts. She could feel her cheeks burn at his frank appraisal. While she waited for her drink to be prepared, she watched the other occupants of the cabana through her dark glasses. She was startled by a tall young man draping his arm over her shoulder and lightly brushing his fingers over the light triangle of fabric covering her left breast. She gasped at his over-familiarity.

"Get off me!" she hissed, her eyes blazing.

"Relax, babe," he said, "I just think we can have some fun together."

Fiona could smell alcohol on his breath as he spoke and tightened his grip on her. She didn't ask him to release her a second time. Rather, she used her elbow, hitting him in the solar plexus before turning into him and striking his groin with her knee. The man collapsed, writhing in pain at her feet.

"You bitch," the man tried to scream at her but he was struggling to regain his breath.

"That's really not something you should say to Her Royal Highness," Edward chuckled as he reached the cabana himself, too late to rescue his little sister but close enough to have seen how she protected herself.

Fiona turned back to the wide-eyed bartender and smiled as he handed over her drink.

"How much do I owe you," she asked the bartender.

"On the house, Your Highness," he stammered in response.

Fiona nodded her thanks, placed her hand on Edward's arm and allowed him to guide her back to her lounge.

"Gods, Baby Girl," Edward said excitedly. "I didn't know you could protect yourself like that."

"Oh, Ed... You haven't been home for a while," Fiona responded. "Papa insisted that I learn to protect myself. Jake... Jacob used to help me practice almost every day... practicing self-defense moves. He's so much bigger than me. I had to learn to be good at it.

"I can do just fine hand-to-hand with one, but I need my knives if I'm outnumbered."

"Well, I'm impressed.

"But I still think that tiny bikini is a bad idea."

"I can take care of myself, Ed. And I like the bikini. It's... fun."

"I feel like you are trying to prove to me that you are not a little girl anymore," Edward said as they got back to Melissa. "I am now fully aware. You don't have to do anything else to show me."

"Okay, Ed. But I'm keeping the bikini."

***

Fiona tried her best to enjoy her holiday on Sabbatical. The planet had been a pleasure retreat for Terrans and their allies for generations and the princess took advantage of all it had to offer. After a few days at the beach, Ed took them to the mountains to ski and snowboard. At the end of her first week, Fiona asked to stay back at the Kype. Edward had to get back to his duties as the Duke's squire and Fiona had no desire to play on the beach or in the mountains without her brother around. She knew the entertainment venues would be plenty to distract her at night and the library held enough treasure to keep her occupied for a dozen lifetimes.

Fiona and Melissa had been on Sabbatical for less than two cycles when Fiona first caught Melissa and Edward kissing in an alcove under the Kype's grand staircase in the Great Hall. She was very happy at her discovery. Melissa had proven to be a great friend and the princess knew Ed could do much, much worse when choosing a consort.