Twilight Time

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And I've missed you, so much." I was starting to feel emotional and choked up, my voice cracking a little.

"I love you, Vicki."

"So you should, because I love you."

"I'm sorry I ran out on you that day." Niamh put her arms round me and laid her face against my shoulder. "It was cowardly of me. I was thinking what would happen if the police and press turned up so we were all arrested and the story was in the papers. I worried about what would happen when my parents read about it, thought they'd disown me. And I imagined Father Donovan storming round to the house threatening all kinds of eternal punishment. So I couldn't face it and ran away. I thought about it afterwards and realised how pathetic I'd been. You needed my support and I wasn't there for you. I was so ashamed of myself and that's why I never replied to your calls and texts. Ruth told me what she said to you and I put her right, that it was me ran out, not you. She's very sorry, wants to apologise in person if you'll let her." She pulled a face. "It's ironic—I was the one with trust problems because of Marti and yet I let you down badly. Anyway, I was scared you might hate me for what I did."

"I could never hate you. I was just miserable because you haven't been here with me."

"I was miserable too. And I was so afraid you might find someone else."

"No, no chance of that. It's only been a few weeks and I'm not that shallow—I'm no Marti. When I fell for you, Niamh, I fell hard and deep. I kept on hoping you'd come back. So how'd you know I'd be here?"

"Susie and Joanna tracked me down and I told them the truth. They were like the KGB. Once they were satisfied I really love you, they gave me a hell of a telling off, told me what a bloody fool I'd been and made me promise to come to the wedding. I had to work this afternoon but they made damned sure I'd be here this evening—sent a limo for me. Made me feel like a VIP, a thoroughly undeserving VIP. They are wonderful friends, Vicki. Joanna was waiting for me at the door, told me where to find you and Susie." Well, that explained the mystery of the mobile phone. Susie and Joanna had been plotting to get Niamh back to me. And it explained why Susie had passed her nosegay to me.

"There's something else, Vicki. I finally plucked up the courage to come out to my parents."

"What did they say?"

Niamh smiled a little. "They really surprised me. I got them together and said I had something very important and personal to tell them. They smiled at each other and then Mum kissed me and said: 'Now would that be anything to do with your being gay, I'm wondering?' They knew, Vicki. All these years I've been terrified to tell them and somehow they knew. It seems they'd worked it out a long time ago but thought it best to let me bring the subject up. The only thing to upset them a little was me thinking they might be prejudiced and homophobic. Said all they really wanted was for me to be happy and they didn't give a damn about my sexuality. I asked them what would happen if Father Donovan found out. They said he could either accept it or they'd find another church with a more tolerant priest. So thanks to my stupidity, we've both been breaking our hearts unnecessarily for several weeks.

"They want to meet you, Vicki. I told them all about you and how much I love you and how I'd let you down. They said I should come back to you to see if you'd forgive me but I was so afraid you'd be disgusted with me and kick me out. It was only when Susie and Joanna got to me and told me to stop talking nonsense that I plucked up the courage. Will you forgive me?"

"I forgave you the day you ran out. I love you, Niamh, and that's forgiveness in itself. Oh God, listen to what I just said, pretentious philosophical claptrap—how ridiculous. Come here." I wrapped my arms around Niamh and her arms went round my neck and we kissed, a long, sweet, gentle kiss. As our lips parted I added: "I love you, Niamh Cassidy, and I'll love you for the rest of my life."

"I love you too—and it's a forever thing with me. I'll never leave you like that again, Vicki, I'll never let you down, I promise."

The sun had gone by now and early stars were appearing in the afterglow. I hummed a few notes of music that seemed to be appropriate.

"What's that?" Niamh asked.

"Oh, just an old song." I sang the final words for her: "...Together, at last, at twilight time..."

I took my love by the hand. "Come on, we've got a wedding party to go to and two of the best friends ever to thank."

As we walked towards the country club, Niamh said: "Vicki, shall we get married sometime?"

"If you ask me very nicely," I told her.

The End