Two of a Kind Ch. 01-05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ostagar was near. Cailan was near. Kainen shook with anticipation as she pulled her squirming four and a half year old sons onto her lap, shushing them with a comforting hand wrapped around their middles as well as soft kiss to the crown of their heads. "You'll see papa soon, my little loves, and he'll make it all better." The logical part of her knew Cailan would be less than thrilled that she'd brought the twins to a battle zone. She also knew he'd be less than happy that their presence would expose their affair for everyone to see. Little Ciaran was the spitting image of his father with the same golden hair, the same charming grin and the same impetuous personality. Carrigan took his dark looks from his mother as well as her oft times brat-ish demeanor. It was true, though... what one of the little tykes didn't think of to get into the other did. The joys of Kainen's life they were, her darling little demons.

She cradled them in her arms, rocking back and forth ever so slightly. Her children were safe. She knew what she risked bringing them here, but fate left her no choice. Highever Castle had been overtaken. That wretch of a man who drove the wagon had also conscripted her into the Wardens when she refused to leave and only Cailan could help her now. She could scarcely believe that horrid man had guilted her dying father into agreeing, just so she could live. She swore fervently under her breath. If only her father had listened to her when she told him she knew something was wrong. She knew Howe had been lying to her father, could tell when she spoke to him that he was up to something. Nevertheless, her father had sent Fergus and Kaeden off with their men, therefore denying those remaining in Highever Castle any hope or chance of surviving the onslaught of what was to come. Why hadn't he listened to her when she'd urged him to send a man out to scout? She would've done so herself if there had been one to send. The teyrn had often let her make the decisions concerning the day-to-day workings of the castle. It was part of her training in running the teyrnir, something she'd have full control of once her father finally passed on. Kainen just hadn't expected it to be so soon or that his death would come at the hands of a man he had called friend. It pained her when she thought of having to tell her brothers. How could she face Fergus with her sons in tow when Oren's life had been cut so tragically short?

Kainen brushed away the tears that had begun to fall anew then tightly hugged her boys. Ciaran gazed up at her with his big blue eyes, "Mama sad? Mama no cry."

Kainen hugged them again, "Mama no cry," she repeated.

"Mama squish us," Carrigan giggled. "Where is Papa? Will he carry us on his shoulders?"

Kainen sighed, torn on how to answer Carrigan's question. She didn't want to lie to him, but knew what the answer was. "If he carries you about, Carrigan, then Ciaran will be jealous. Best give your papa's shoulders a rest for the time being. As for where your papa is, I expect he's with his army. You'll get to see him soon enough."

Peeking up over the high wooden slat walls of the wagon, she noticed they'd come to a bridge. Duncan brought the wagon to a halt, knowing he would not be able to take it any further. The surface of the bridge had suffered over the centuries, pockmarked with great damage, whole chunks of rock missing from the edges, leaving a narrow path for horses or foot traffic only. Her heart pounded in her chest. Soon she would see Cailan. There was so much she needed to tell him. They hadn't seen each other in months. Politics and the threat of the Blight had saw fit to keep them apart. Her ears perked up as she caught the sound of a familiar voice, a sensuous timbre that never failed to turn her insides to mush. It's no wonder she had not the power to resist him. Heat surged through her, urging her to abandon her sense of propriety as she hopped from the bed of the wagon hurriedly.

As soon as her feet landed squarely on the stone, Cailan rounded the wagon, his face etched with a tumultuous mix of surprise and disbelief. "Kainen, have you lost all control over your sense of discretion?" Moments later the twins tackled his legs. Normally the knowledge of his mistress and their children getting out had done little to phase Cailan, but ever since Loghain had joined him here at Ostagar, there'd had been numerous arguments over his unfaithfulness to Anora.

Hurt battered her heart, tearing open a new wound. Never had he spoken to her quite like this. "I'm sorry, Cailan," she spoke softly. "But I had nowhere else to go. Arl Howe's army attacked the castle after Father had sent our troops off. My mother and father are both dead and to top it off, this loathsome fool thinks it's a perfectly sane idea to conscript apregnantwoman into the Wardens!!! Tell him he can't do that! With my father dead, I'm the rightful Teyrna of Highever."

A look of complete shock crossed Cailan's face as he looked back and forth between Kainen and Duncan. "We should continue this conversation in my tent. I may have a solution that should satisfy all."

Duncan arched an eyebrow at the King as Cailan picked up each of the twins one by one for an affectionate twirl. Though Kainen reached out for the boys, Cailan waved her off, insisting he be the one to carry his sons back to his tent. The rambunctious boys giggled while jabbering nonsensibly, each playing with shoulder pauldrons of their father's golden armor. Dutifully, Kainen followed behind them, feeling a faint flutter within her belly as the babes she carried moved and kicked.

Once they reached the relative privacy of Cailan's tent, the King turned on the leader of the Grey Wardens. "I know my father reaffirmed the power the Grey Wardens were given during Blights, but don't you think conscripting my mistress is going too far? Did Anora put you up to this? Or was it Loghain?"

"Neither, your Majesty," Duncan rubbed his brow. "Teyrn Cousland begged me to take her and the teyrna to safety. When I went to Highever to gather recruits, I was unaware of who she was to you. Conscripting her was the only way to get her and the children out of there safely."

Cailan's golden eyes burned with fire, "And why I am just finding out now that you're pregnant again, Kainen? I haven't seen you in months. What have you been doing?"

"Don't you dare accuse me of unfaithfulness? You know me better than that, Cailan." To prove her point, she hastily stripped off her dress, exposing her burgeoning belly. "I'm nearly four months along with what the midwife believes is another set of twins."

"That would explain all the correspondence between Bryce and Eamon as of late. You are aware they both have been urging me to set Anora aside, due to her lack of bearing an heir. Loghain must've gotten wind of it because all I hear from him besides how reckless I am being is that my affairs have shamed his daughter. I tire of his accusations that Anora hasn't given me an heir due to the fact that I spendallmy time in your bed."

"Cailan darling," Kainen started as she settled the twins down on a nearby cot where they could play quietly. "I know this is a troublesome matter, but what do you plan to do about Howe? He can't be allowed to get away with what he's done. My father has always supported you. He made sure you succeeded in taking your father's throne, despite the fact that so many were urging him to take it instead. Furthermore, where are Fergus and Kaeden? I don't relish telling either of them what happened. Especially Fergus because I know he will be grief stricken over the loss of Oriana and Oren."

Cailan set his hands on Kainen's shoulders, tenderly massaging the stiffness out of them. "Of that I have no doubt, especially since you managed to escape with the twins. I promise you, my sweet, that once we are done here, I'll turn my army northward and bring Howe to justice. He will hang. As for your brothers, Fergus is out scouting in the Wilds. Your twin, however, managed to incite a near riot after a hard night of drinking. He's under lock and key at the moment."

"What? What happened? What did he do?"

Cailan chuckled briefly, "He and a few of the Highever knights got into a 'pissing' contest with several of the knights from Gwaren. 'Twas an interesting fight to watch until Cauthrien and Loghain got involved. That's when hellfire and damnation broke loose. Kaeden claims that Loghain made some disparaging remarks against not only your father but you as well so that's when Kaeden drew on him. He even managed to draw blood on Loghain. Afterwards, my father-in-law ordered Kaeden thrown in a cage until justice could be served. Perhaps he's been waiting for Bryce to show up. All I know is Loghain won't back down, won't release your brother even though I've already ordered him to do so. That brings us back to you, Duncan. If Bryce promised you a recruit, a recruit you shall have. I give you leave to use the Grey Wardens Right of Conscription on Kaeden. I think that is the best course of action to saving his life. That's the least I can do to appease both you and Kainen."

"Kaeden would make a fine Warden, I'm sure. His skill with a blade is most impressive. Though, I could always beat him. I'm quicker than he'll ever be." Kainen grinned, relieved that Cailan had come up with such a satisfying solution. She noticed her lover's brow furrowing as well as the cocking of an eyebrow. "You worry too much, darling. The midwife reassured me that as long as I was careful during my sparring sessions no harm would come to the babes. She said the exercise was good for me. The same can be said for sex. We had this conversation during my pregnancy with the twins. I would never do anything to harm our children."

Duncan cleared his throat, "I shall take my leave of you, your Majesty. I have a new recruit to rescue from harm."

As soon as Duncan exited the tent, Kainen fell into Cailan's arms, clutching at his armor. She nuzzled her head in the crook of his neck, allowing her tears to trickle down her face before splashing onto his golden mail. He soothed her, removing his gauntlets, before caressing her bare skin. Pulling away, he went down on bended knee before her, his fingers splaying over her rounded belly. "I am a lucky man."

Kainen delved her fingers into Cailan's hair, mussing it ever so slightly. "I know it probably isn't proper for me to ask, but what do you think of my father's and Eamon's urging to set Anora aside? I know you love her, my darling, but..."

"If I'd truly had it my way, I wouldn't have married her in the first place, but I had to honor the contract my father made with her father. I hear the rumors, just as much as everyone else. They say the reason she hasn't conceived is due to the fact she stems from common blood, but the real reason is because I've never spent much time in her bed. I care for Anora, but you are the one I truly love." Kainen's heart fluttered at his declaration then groaned as she felt his mouth on her stomach. "My wife might be the Queen of Ferelden, but you will always be the Queen of my heart."

~~~

Ostagar--- before the big battle

~~~

A few days had passed since Kainen arrived at Ostagar. She had spent the bulk of her time in Cailan's tent with the twins, but even the interesting things that Cailan kept there could only hold the twins interest for so long. With Cailan's permission and accompanied by Cailan's trusted honor guards, Kainen began to take the twins on short walks about the camp. She'd learned from Duncan that Kaeden had passed his Joining and was now a proud Grey Warden, but still there was no word from Fergus. She feared the worst where her elder brother was concerned. Other scouting bands had returned delivering dire news of the horde now bearing down on them. Rumors spread like wildfire that the horde would reach the ruins within a day. Frantic preparations were being made. Despite his complaints of how the meetings bored him, Cailan spent most of his time closeted away with Loghain, going over battle strategies. She'd seen so little of him. Their moments alone were often stolen interludes or short forays of family togetherness. Kainen cherished every moment of it, relying on the twins to keep her occupied.

Hours before the horde was predicted to reach the ruins, Cailan burst into his tent suddenly. She could tell by the look on his face that the latest meeting with Loghain had not gone well. She could feel the seething anger rolling off Cailan in waves. Dropping the dress she was about to pull over her head, she rushed to his side.

"Let me soothe your anger, my darling," she purred as she cupped his face in her hands.

Cailan pulled away from her, "You can't, Kainen, not this time. I'm going to have to send you away, I fear. A contingent of Maric's Shield will accompany you to Redcliffe."

Hurt and disbelief assailed her, "What?"

He shook his head then moved away from her, putting distance between them, "Loghain insists. He caught wind somehow that I intended to set Anora aside as soon as these battles are over. He's threatened to take his troops and leave. Plus he's already called for Anora to meet us here. I have little choice in the matter. His men are needed here to defeat this horde. The Grey Wardens from Orlais have been delayed, so I have to do what's best for the country and the lives at stake here. Trust me when I tell you I don't want this, but this is how it has to be. I will see that you, the twins and the unborn babes are taken care of."

Tears gathered in Kainen's eyes, "You let him strong arm you. Cailan, how could you let him put you over a barrel? You are the King. You could strip him of his title for his insolence against you and appoint someone else worthier of the title Teyrn." Kainen gripped the spaulders of his golden mail, "And what about me? What about the twins? Don't you think we need you? How can you think to send us off when that horde will be here in no time? How can you possibly think I'd be safe in the company of men loyal to Loghain? Don't you see what he's planning? We'll never make it to Redcliffe alive."

His eyes flashed indignation at her accusation. "Those men have always been loyal to the crown. I've been assured that no harm will come to you."

"Don't be a fool, Cailan. I don't believe it for one moment and neither should you. Why else would Anora be coming to a war zone if her father wasn't planning to do me and the twins in? When has she ever come to visit you when you were out in the field? Think, Cailan. You've always told me she isn't interested in battles or war, that she'd rather sit in the palace. Can't you see what they're planning? She's coming here because she thinks to catch you at a weak moment so she can bed you in hopes of getting pregnant. You know what this is all about. You are playing right into their hands. Loghain is bluffing. He won't take his army and leave. If he did, he'd be labeled a coward before the whole of the nation. His pride will never allow that."

Cailan rubbed his face tiredly, "I told him you wouldn't go without a fight." He knelt down before her, resting his forehead against her protruding belly, round with the babes nestled safely inside. "This puts me firmly between a rock and a hard place. You know I don't want you to go."

A shout sounded outside of the tent then Loghain unceremoniously barged in, catching sight of the intimate family scene before him. He sneered, "Isn't this cozy? Have you told the little harlot yet?"

Kainen's eyes flashed as rage boiled in her veins. "How dare you insult me?" She whirled about, standing brazenly before Loghain clad in only her smallclothes and stockings. "I am Teyrna of Highever and you will not treat me like I'm some common doxy. I will not be sent away by you, either. As Teyrna, I have an obligation to the crown and to the soldiers of Highever who are here atHis Majesty'sbehest."

"Why Bryce would name you as his successor is truly a mystery? I fail to see his reasoning in the matter, unless he figured you'd whore your way through running a teyrnir such as Highever. Is that how you plan to gain your vassals allegiance now that your father is dead? That's right, Bryce is dead. You can't even claim Highever as your own due to the fact it's in Rendon Howe's hands," Loghain's nasty sneer matched the rage burning in Kainen's eyes.

Cailan cleared his throat loudly, "Enough!" His golden gaze shot from Loghain to Kainen then back to Loghain. "Rendon Howe will not get away with his actions concerning Highever. I've reaffirmed Kainen as Teyrna of Highever. I've promised her I would take my army north to deal with Howe once we are finished here. I also warned you about your insults toward the mother of my children. Might I remind you that I am King!?! Kainen and I have been together for nearly seven years, longer than Anora and I have been married. I never would've even married Anora if it weren't for my father insisting I uphold the contract he made with you. He knew about Kainen. He actually congratulated me on my conquest of Bryce's daughter. He told me he saw no reason why I couldn't keep her as my mistress even though I was to be married to Anora; he felt it strengthened Highever's allegiance to the crown. Besides, my father had his mistresses and tumbles in hay. You think I'm not aware that his bastard is here in camp, one of the Grey Wardens."

Kainen flashed Cailan a nasty look, "Who? And don't think I'm going to allow you to label our sons as your bastards, Cailan!" Kainen shot daggers at both men before her. Her chest heaved from the anger racing in her blood. She grabbed up her dress, yanking it on. "And you, Loghain, if your daughter wasn't such a cold fish in the bedroom, maybe Cailan wouldn't have needed another woman. Maybe she'stoocommonto be able to nurtureroyalseed within her womb. I think you need to get out before I forget I'm aladyand slit your lying throat."

"I'd do as my lady commands if I were you, Loghain," Cailan replied tersely. "The horde will be here in a few short hours. I'll meet you at the planning session shortly. We'll discuss matters then."

Loghain's eyes narrowed dangerously, "You would do well to heed what I told you earlier, Cailan. Anora will not be pleased to find your mistress, teyrna or no, here when she arrives."

"Loghain, I've made my decision. It's final. I'll deal with Anora when she arrives, but until then, Kainen stays."

Kainen felt like crowing. She couldn't keep the delight she felt out of her eyes and her smile showed her pleasure. She could barely compose herself as Loghain stormed out as violently as he had stormed in. Once he was gone, Kainen threw her arms around Cailan, passionately planting kisses all over his face and neck, "Oh thank you, my love, for letting me stay. You won't regret this. So tell me, which Grey Warden is your father's bastard? Oh, I bet I know. It's that handsome blond haired one that I've seen with my brother over the past few days. Alistair's his name, right? It's him, isn't it? I saw him and my brother sparring together near the Grey Warden tent. He's definitely of Theirin blood, yes?"

Cailan chuckled at her enthusiasm, "Me or Alistair? Who's more handsome?" He winked at her before carrying her to the large bed which dominated most of the tent.

"Ooooh, that's very tough to decide," Kainen purred coyly. "Watching him spar with Kaeden was very much a cause to get the blood pumping—a thing of utter beauty— but if I had to choose, I'd have to say that you are the most handsomest of all the Theirin men. I'd even go as far as to say you'd put your father to shame in the handsome department."

Rich laughter spilled from Cailan's lips, "And you, my dear lady, put your father to shame in the 'knowing how to stroke your monarch's ego' department. Bryce always had a way with words, and I clearly see that you not only take after him, but exceed his capabilities hands down. Don't worry, love, once we've won this battle and have sent the darkspawn fleeing in fear, we'll take back your teyrnir and then return to Denerim where I shall call a Landsmeet and officially announce you as my new queen. Everything will work out, you'll see."