Una Nuova Famiglia Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They worked in their workbooks for another 20 minutes and then she asked a few students to work out problems on the board. This way she could make corrections before the entire class. When the bell rang, the kids quickly gathered up their belongings.

"Don't forget, we're doing pages 29-35 tomorrow so please take a stab at them tonight! Have a good one!"

Most filed out without saying goodbye and she smiled. They were pissed. Even though none of them had failed the exam, she had snatched the victory from them with the curve. She didn't mind if they were upset, they would work harder next time. She straightened up the desks a little, biding time as she waited for Reese. She hadn't seen him since Saturday morning and she wondered how the rest of the weekend had gone. Considering he had not called again, she assumed everything was fine.

She was hoisting her overstuffed leather satchel onto her shoulder when Reese tapped on the door and then let himself in. He was beaming.

"Hmmm…I take it you made up with him?"She stated the obvious.

"Hell yes, and it was damn sweeeeeeet!"

"Thanks for sharing," she shook her head ruefully. "And are you in a monogamous relationship now?"

Reese shrugged his shoulders, "no, but I told him just because I agreed doesn't mean I have to like it. Besides, I mentioned I might find someone else to fuck one day too. He didn't seem to like that idea."

"I thought you said you didn't want to do that anymore?"

"I don't know," Reese shrugged. "Look, how about a drink before we go home?"

"No way. I spent the entire weekend grading papers and recovering from a hangover. I finally have a night to myself and I'm going to enjoy it."

"Oh, I forgot to ask. Did the thug call?"

Raegan raised a brow, confused for just a moment. Then it dawned on her, he was talking about Shane Miller. She hadn't thought about her all weekend. Well, almost all weekend. "She's not a thug."

"Right. And I love pussy. Come on, she's a thug and you know it. In fact, I think you like that about her. So, did she call?"

"No. And that's probably for the best."

"Hmmm, best for whom?"

"Okay, that's enough, just shut up." She stepped through the door, waiting for him to follow her before turning to close and lock it. He continued to tease her on their way out of the building. They stopped to chat briefly with a few colleagues smoking in front of the building before making their way to the subway station. There they parted ways. Raegan waved as Reese jogged down the steps. Then she turned to cross the street and wait for the city bus that would drop her off a block from her apartment building.

She was reading over her lesson plans for the next morning when a car door across the street opened, catching her eye. It resembled the silver gray limousine from the restaurant. A familiar looking chauffeur stood from the driver's seat, straightened his finely tailored gray jacket and then opened the rear door. She already knew who would emerge and yet her breath still caught in her chest. She watched as the striking form made her way across the street, ignoring the blare of a car horn as it was forced to screech to a halt. Most of the people standing around, or hurrying about at the typical break neck New York City pace, took a second to watch Shane, with her broad shoulders, slim hips and long legs, make her way to the bus stop. This time she was dressed in a pair of black jeans, a burgundy leather jacket and a pair of hiking boots dyed the same rich burgundy color. Her hair was braided into thick cornrows again. A fresh cigar dangled from between her lips.

Raegan could feel Shane's eyes traveling over her full-figure. She ran a mental picture of herself through her mind, content with her choice of a long black skirt and royal blue sweater. She licked her lips nervously, meeting those intense hazel-green eyes.

"Can I offer you a ride?" Shane's husky voice sent a jolt of electricity through her. She mentally chastised herself, trying to get her emotions in check. She tried to distract herself by taking a quick look over Shane's shoulder at the limousine. She was a bit reluctant to accept anything from this woman, even a ride home. Something, other than her annoying best friend, warned her that Shane Miller would be hazardous to her health.

"Actually, my bus is turning the corner right now. I wouldn't want to put you out."

"It's no problem."

Raegan watched as Shane picked up her satchel and turned to cross the street with it. She hesitated for a moment before following suit. The chauffeur had already opened the door by the time they arrived at the softly purring vehicle. Shane slid in, sitting with her back to the driver, allowing Raegan to occupy the seat across from her alone. Raegan appreciated the gesture. She was afraid Shane would hear the erratic beat of her heart if she sat too close. The door shut once they were settled, the hustle and bustle of New York City traffic abruptly silenced. Raegan took in her surroundings as the large, sleek car pulled away from the curb. She ran her fingers over the plush seats, taking in the wood paneling, the glass refrigerated bar stocked with miniature liquor bottles, and the small color television tuned to a news program. Shane unzipped her leather jacket to reveal a black silk tee. She reached for the remote control and turned off the television.

"142nd and Riverside, right?" She asked with a raised brow.

"Uh, yea. Thank you." Raegan refused to ask how she knew her address.

Shane pressed a button and gave the location to the driver.

"Drink?"

"Water, please."

She watched Shane's broad form as she reached into the bar and extracted a chilled bottle of water. Raegan could not help but notice a dark rectangular object settled into a black leather pocket-like contraption beneath Shane's jacket. In the moment it took Raegan to figure out the black leather contraption was a shoulder holster, and the black metal object a gun, she had already averted her eyes. She forced herself to concentrate on accepting the bottle of water from her host. She wondered if Shane could see her hands shaking as she quickly gulped some down.

*

Shane settled back against the comfortable seat, unzipping her jacket as she watched the dark chocolate beauty across from her. She impatiently switched off the television. She wanted to absorb everything about Raegan Vincent without distraction…her beautiful face, her edgy gestures, her delicious scent, her nervous, shallow breaths. She stared at her guest for a moment longer before confirming her address. She didn't need to ask about the location of Ms. Vincent's apartment. Karin had already completed a background check on her. She not only knew Raegan's address and phone number, she also knew her social security number, her birthday, her bank account numbers, the amount of credit card debt she owed, every dollar she'd borrowed for college, and every school she'd ever attended. She also knew as much as there was to know about Raegan's mother and older sister, her only family members.

As far as Karin could tell, Ms. Raegan Vincent was clean. She wasn't a cop and she wasn't a competitor. Or if she was, she was very good at covering her tracks. She inhaled from the cigar once more before putting it out and asking her guest if she wanted something to drink. Water. Of course. Clean. As she reached for the water, she heard Raegan's sharp intake of breath. She swore to herself silently. She'd forgotten she was wearing. For her it was a habit, like brushing her teeth in the morning. She wore it every day. The 9-millimeter Glock had saved her life on more than one occasion. But she certainly didn't want Raegan thinking about guns as she sat across from her on this brisk, sunny afternoon. No, all she wanted was to have a normal conversation with a very attractive woman.

Raegan continued to sip at the water in a more controlled manner. She wished suddenly she had asked for something stronger. What was she thinking, getting into this woman's car? She knew nothing about limousines and people who carried guns. Not only did she know nothing about these things, she was pretty sure she wanted it to remain that way. She could just imagine her mother's dismay if she ever mentioned Shane's name, much less brought her home for dinner. She shook her head. She was pretty certain she wouldn't see Shane Miller again after today. She took in the browning of the leaves in Riverside Park as the limousine made its way North on Riverside Drive. The image did little to soothe her.

"Don't worry about that."

Raegan forced herself to meet Shane's eyes, trying to appear calm when she felt anything but. "About what?"

She watched Shane reach into her jacket and remove the gun, laying it on the car seat close to her thigh. Raegan sipped at her water, avoiding Shane's eyes. She couldn't handle this. Guns? She'd never seen a real gun before in her life.

"Raegan."

She kept her eyes on the gun for a moment longer, finally obeying the soft, throaty command. Her eyes settled on the impressive frame of the woman sitting across from her. Hazel-green eyes bore into her.

Shane raised a brow, a smirk appearing on her lips. "So, why teaching?"

Raegan swallowed, she'd rather talk about anything other than the gun, "my mother's a teacher. I have two aunts who are teachers. My grandmothers, on both sides, were teachers. Just seemed to be destiny."

Shane simply nodded. They were silent for a moment and Raegan could see her building come into view.

"How about dinner?"

Raegan froze at the unexpected question. Was there a polite way to tell a gangster no?

"I can't tonight."

"Wednesday?"

"Open school night."

"Thursday? Next week? Next year?"

Raegan smiled. She was persistent if nothing else. "I'm free on Friday."

Shane nodded, "7 O'clock."

Raegan collected her belongings and slid over as the limousine pulled up in front of her building. The door opened moments later.

"Thanks for the ride, Shane."

Raegan hurried from the car into the lobby of her building. Once in the elevator, she leaned against a wall heavily, closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. There had to be a way to get out of dinner on Friday.

*

Hours later, she was soaking in a steamy tub filled with hot perfumed water. She could feel the anxiety leave her body. She didn't want to think about her job, or gangsters, for at least the next hour. She sighed, trying to erase the tall, honey-brown image of Shane from her mind. Shane Miller. Jesus. She remembered the tall, thin girl from 8th grade with ponytails. Even then she had commanded respect from her classmates and traveled with a posse of women. Shane had run the school, beating up any kid that challenged her. And she performed well in her classes. She'd always been a leader. Every teacher promised Shane would go far. Well, she was successful, if the size of one's bank account reflected success. But she wondered what had happened to make Shane travel down the path she'd chosen. What made a woman partake in organized crime? That is if the newspapers were correct.

Raegan stood from the tub and dried herself, deciding to rinse the tub out later. She climbed into bed, reaching over to set the alarm clock. She'd worry about the Friday date later. Her eyes closed and she drifted into welcomed sleep, the image of a pair of hazel-green eyes lingering.

*

It was Thursday, after classes, when she finally told Reese about her date. His eyes opened in shock and dismay.

"You have to cancel."

"I would if I had her phone number." She chuckled.

"This isn't a fuckin' joke Reg, you can't go out with her."

"I can't stand her up, that would be rude. It's just dinner."

Reese shook his head. He didn't like it, not at all. "Where is she taking you?"
"I have no idea."

"Reg! This is serious! Did you read that article about her in the Post? She might be wanted for conspiracy to commit murder!"

"Oh come on Reese. You know that newspaper is nothing but a tabloid."

"Yea, whatever. She sure looks the part to me."

"Don't judge her because she's butch."

"Believe me, this has nothing to do with her fuckin' over developed sense of masculinity!"

Raegan was replacing the decorative borders on the classroom walls in anticipation of the upcoming holidays. Reese watched, silently fuming.

"You know, you could help," Raegan quipped.

"I don't think so."

"I'll remember that the next time you ask for help with your room."

She finished the last wall and smooth down her skirt. Done. They gathered their belongings and left.

*

On Friday the time passed slower than any day she could remember. She had to admit she had become increasingly intrigued at the thought of dinner with Shane. She was mysterious, like forbidden fruit…and dangerous. Reese kept insisting she stand Shane up, bringing the New York Post article in for her to read. The possible charges included not only conspiracy to commit murder but federal racketeering. She had torn the article into small pieces and handed it back to him.

She was waiting for her bus at the corner again, but this time Reese stayed with her. He wanted to talk to Shane if she showed up. Raegan was relieved when the gray limousine did not materialize. When her bus turned the corner, he made a final plea for her to cancel. She kissed his cheek, hugged him tightly and boarded the city bus. She promised to call him as soon as she returned from her date.

It was only 4:30pm when she arrived at her apartment. She forced herself to grade homework assignments until six. Then she showered and dressed for her date. She had decided on another ankle length black skirt, an emerald green sweater, and black leather 4-inch heeled boots. Short curls framed her face in a soft cloud of black. She was applying a coat of lipstick when the buzzer rang at 7pm exactly.

Damien, the chauffeur, smiled when she appeared in the lobby, holding the door of the limousine open for her. There was no one inside.

"Ms. Miller will meet us at the restaurant. Can I get you anything?"

She shook her head, "no thanks." She smiled, settling into the comfort of the lavish burgundy seats as the car pulled away from the curb. She tried to guess where he was going, but gave up after he crossed the T-Neck Bridge. Instead, she reached over to switch on the small television, glancing at her watch. The traffic was still pretty heavy and it was already 7:45 PM. She sighed, using the remote control to flip through the channels. After ten more minutes she switched off the set. She leaned over to study the panel Shane had used to talk to Damien.

"Damien?"

His deep voice filled the rear space, "yes ma'am?"

"Would you mind lowering the divider?" She spoke into the intercom again. Seconds later the dark divider separating the driver from the passengers lowered.

"Where are we going?" She asked with a smile.

Damien returned the smile, "great soul food place. We're about 20 minutes away."

"Soul food? I thought only whites lived this far out."

He shrugged, "Ms. Miller owns a restaurant out here."

Raegan nodded. She watched as he eventually pulled up to a two-story building with a red awning. The name "Audrey's" was scrawled across the awning in gold. She remembered Shane's mother's name was Audrey. Damien held the car door for her, opening the door to the restaurant before she could reach for it. She thanked him, a little uncomfortable with someone waiting on her, took a deep breath, and then proceeded inside. She admired the tasteful red and gold wallpaper, the deep rich red of the carpet and the numerous photographs of famous black artists adorning the walls. She stopped to examine a photo of Ella Fitzgerald.

Shane watched her silently. The simple clothes, the voluptuous figure, the soft curls framing her face. She smiled as Raegan stood on tiptoes to read the words written on a photo. She came up behind her, waiting until Raegan turned to face her. She noticed her face change from surprise to admiration as Raegan took in her chocolate brown, double-breasted, Armani suit. She looked up at the picture Raegan had been admiring.

"Ella signed that for my mother years ago."

"Really? Did your mother know her?"

"They toured together once."

"Your mother was a pianist, right?"

Shane nodded silently. Raegan wondered if she was thinking of her mother's death during middle school. In an attempt to change the topic, she glanced down at her clothing, "I feel a little under dressed."

Shane took her time looking her over appreciatively, finally saying with a bit of a smirk, "you're fine."

Raegan nodded, glad her dark skin hid the blush warming her cheeks. Then she blurted, "I wasn't going to come."

Shane raised a brow, but remained silent. She took another moment to observe Raegan. She searched for signs that she might have rehearsed this conversation with someone else, for the bulge of a hidden weapon or for a crease in her emerald green top where she might be hiding a wire. Then, suddenly, in an attempt to catch Raegan off guard, she reached out to gently comb her fingers through Raegan's hair. The gesture could be seen as offensive, to those who knew what she was looking for, or inappropriately familiar. The touch startled Raegan and Shane admired her determination not to back away. Shane tilted Raegan's chin upward.

Raegan stared up into Shane's mesmerizing hazel-green eyes. Her heart was hammering loudly in her chest. She swallowed, watching as Shane searched her face. After another moment Shane smirked again and then turned to enter the dining area. Raegan followed after her. She was disturbed by the way Shane had touched her, in more ways than one, and she was a little more than annoyed that she felt aroused by the dominating behavior. They were greeted by the hostess, a tall, slender, dark-skinned woman. Shane introduced her and Raegan smiled, reaching out to shake her hand, "a pleasure to meet you."
"Ms. Vincent. We have prepared a very special meal for you tonight at Ms. Miller's request. Please come this way, your table is ready."

Raegan followed her into the restaurant. She heard Shane's husky voice some distance behind her and realized Shane was not following. She turned to see an older black woman clasping Shane's hand between her own. Raegan continued to follow the hostess. Moments later she was settled into a comfortable booth against the back wall. The booth allowed her to take in the entire restaurant. There wasn't a booth to her immediate left or right, although some lined the walls quite a few feet away. She realized the location was relatively secluded but allowed the occupants of the booth to see everything and everyone in the restaurant. She glanced around at the other customers as she waited for Shane to join her.

"I ordered wine."

Shane informed her, unbuttoning her jacket as she slid into the booth. Raegan nodded, not at all surprised. Shane seemed to wait for no one to make a decision. A waitress brought the bottle to their table. She showed the label to Shane who nodded. She then gracefully removed the cork and poured a small portion of the wine into Shane's glass. Raegan watched Shane taste the wine, taking her time to savor it before swallowing. When Shane nodded again, the waitress filled her glass first and then Shane's. A silence fell between them when the waitress left. Raegan was about to ask a question when Shane's cell phone rang.

"Excuse me."

Shane stood and moved away from the table. When she was done, she rejoined Raegan.

"You were about to ask me something."

Raegan nodded, "I just wanted to know about you. I don't even know where you went to high school."