Undercovers Detective Ch. 08

Story Info
Continuing adventure of two undercover detectives.
9.3k words
4.68
7.2k
9

Part 8 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 05/29/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ChuckEPoo
ChuckEPoo
305 Followers

Frank

During our engagement dinner with Alexia's family, I received a text message from my precinct saying Captain Greer was shot. After I showed the message to Alex, we both maintained our composure and hastily said our goodbyes. Her dad seemed visibly upset with our unexpected departure, but I assured him it was all routine.

To begin with, Alex's father had never been happy with her choice to join the police force instead of following him in corporate law. I chuckled to myself, wondering how he'd react after finding out she was working undercover as a topless waitress and dancer in a titty bar.

Once we were in the car, Alex called Janine to let her know about the shooting and asked her to get what information she could. Janine said she was informed already and all she knew was that Greer was in critical but stable condition at Memorial Hospital Los Angeles. Alex passed me her phone and I suggested she get the FBI to hospital ASAP, since there was a chance our undercover operation might be compromised.

Janine was aware that Viktor's tentacles of corruption reached deeply into the police force and department of justice. Our team had already complied an extensive list of crooked cops and judges, but we knew there were more. Because of this, I didn't know who to trust, so I trusted no one.

I drove at break-neck speed in Alex's mustang. If we'd taken my old Chevy I could have used my portable light and siren, so it was good that the roads were clear on the 101 as I tested the car's limits.

I told Alex if Amos was ambushed, that might make us targets, also. I couldn't help but suspect McNeal was involved in some way, but that was pure speculation on my part. Without facts I had nothing yet to base that suspicion on. McNeal knew that there was an ongoing investigation on his cohort Viktor Grekov and his crime bosses. However, this aggressive move didn't fit with what I knew of Viktor's cautious methods. I thought he had to be a fool to make such a bold move as to publicly shoot a police captain. From what I observed about Grekov, he was ruthless as a viper but not stupid.

Alex sat quietly while I wove through traffic, trying to make the drive from Santa Barbara to LA in as short a time as I could. The 302 roared to life as I pushed the car's limits.

I shouted above the road noise, saying, "What was it you whispered to your mom after you told her that you didn't want an elaborate wedding?"

"Frank, this really isn't a good time."

"Nonsense! There's no better time than right now. We're still an hour out."

"Well... I went to my doctor a few days ago because I was sick to my stomach. I figured it was a touch of the flu, but it was something a lot more serious than that."

Something a lot more serious? I tried not to panic and braced myself for the worst.

"Are you sick?"

"I couldn't be healthier!"

I glanced at her with a puzzled expression. "I'm confused."

"Frank... I'm almost three months pregnant."

I slowed down and pulled to the side of the road on the gravel shoulder, coming to a crunchy stop. This couldn't be true. I stared at her, speechless.

"Say something," she said nervously.

I put my hands on her cheeks, leaned forward and kissed her. "I'm going to be a daddy?"

"I guess I wasn't on the pill long enough before we made love the first time. I'm sorry."

"Sorry? What's there to be sorry about? I love you! I'm going to be a daddy!"

Just then, I saw the flashing lights of a highway patrol unit pulling up behind us. He paused to check our license plate and then came up to my window.

"I clocked you in on excess of ninety," said the patrol officer. "License and registration please."

I handed him my wallet with badge and replied, "This is perfect."

He looked confused.

"We need an escort to memorial hospital Los Angeles," I explained. "It's critical police business."

The officer stepped back and spoke into his wireless for a few moments, then handed me my badge and said, "Follow me."

He sped away with lights blazing. The Mustang had no trouble keeping up. Alex called Tom as we drove towards LA. He said both the FBI and special task force were alerted and were also in route. He added that he had little information on the circumstances, except it had happened at a convenience store in South Central LA, and that they had video surveillance from the store's security cameras.

I couldn't create any scenarios with such limited information. Alex was on her cell when I reached down and took my snub-nosed back-up out of my leg holster and handed it to her.

"Put this in your purse," I instructed.

Alex pushed it away and popped open the console between the seats. She pulled out a police automatic. "It is like American Express." She grinned. "I never leave home without it."

-oOo-

When we finally approached the emergency entrance of the hospital, the CHP unit pulled away after waving to us. There were several cruisers parked in the lot, along with an NBC news van. I suggested to Alex she stay in the car because going inside could have compromised her cover. She started to argue, but sat back in the passenger seat and crossed her arms in mock surrender. I told her I'd give her updates.

The receptionist directed me to the fourth-floor surgery unit. I noticed there were several plain clothed agents in the lobby.

Talk about the Feds trying to look inconspicuous. They might as well have held up a sign.

I was ushered into the waiting room and was immediately greeted by Greer's wife. Gloria threw her arms around my neck and hugged me.

"Oh, Frank," she said in a broken tearful voice. "They shot him! They shot my Alvin!"

I hugged her in hopes of calming her down. "I'm so sorry, I really am. What did the doctor say?"

"He was taken out of surgery a few minutes ago. The surgeon said he was critical—but stable. They said a bullet grazed his liver. I saw him before surgery and there was so much blood." She broke down all over again.

Her clothing was stained in crimson.

"You get those bastards, Frank!" She wiped at her tears. "Promise me you'll make them pay."

I gently squeezed Gloria's shoulders and said, "I promise I'll do all I can."

I left the waiting room and went to the nurses' station to ask them what room Greer was in. They told me he was in 421, a private room. After flashing my badge to a plain clothed officer at the door, I found Alvin on a ventilator with tubes, wires, and monitors. I always hated hospitals. The constant beep of the equipment brought back childhood memories of my dad lying in the emergency, helpless on life-support.

A doctor came into the room, carrying a clipboard. Still dressed in his green surgical scrubs, he looked at me and said, "Are you Detective Frank McGannon?"

"Yes. What's his prognosis?"

"May I see some identification?"

I handed him my badge and he examined it carefully, looking at my picture and then back at me.

"I'm Doctor Caitlin. Before Detective Greer went in to surgery he gave me this notepad with specific instructions to give it only to you."

He handed me a small spiral notepad with bloody fingerprints on the cover.

I flipped it open and the first page had appointment schedules written—some of them scratched out. One of the addresses was 1259 Bayshore Drive. According to Tom, that was the street where Greer was shot. He must have been meeting someone there.

"How long until he can talk?" I asked.

"He's in an induced coma right now, recovering from two life threatening gunshot wounds. He also suffered extreme blood loss. Additional surgery will be needed. We were able to contain the bleeding, but one of the bullets fragmented on a rib. The pieces will have to be removed when he's stronger."

"Could you give me a call if his condition changes or if he wakes? Here's my card." I handed it over and shook his hand, thanking the doctor for saving Alvin's life.

-oOo-

Alex wasn't feeling too well when I came back to the car, so I drove her home. I suspected it was probably morning sickness.

We talked about how the pregnancy could affect her undercover position. I suggested she stay away from the club for a few days with the excuse that she had the flu; that would have given me enough time to sort things out. I was torn between letting her continue or to pull her permanently from the operation. Truth be told, I didn't want the mother of my child being ogled and touched at that club for any reason.

Alex wanted me to stay with her, but I knew I needed to get to the office. By chain of command, I was now temporary department head and acting captain of homicide. We had contingency plans in place for this.

When I arrived at the precinct, there were already several detectives waiting for me. After a quick meeting, I went into Greer's office and opened his safe that contained the sensitive undercover information. Using the encrypted software, I sent out a coded message to all the domestic and international department heads, explaining the situation and reassuring them that I'd keep them informed.

There was a tap on my door. I opened it to see McNeal looking at me. He had his usually smug look on his face.

"I guess this makes you department head," he sighed. "Captain."

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I glared.

"Viktor wants to talk with you."

I looked past him and noticed the detectives who were waiting to see me. "Viktor will have to wait. I've got a department to run."

"I strongly suggest that you don't leave him waiting," McNeal replied with a cocky expression.

"Are you threatening me?"

"Nah, of course not. I was only reminding you of who's in charge. It would be a shame if something happened to that hot little girlfriend of yours."

I reacted instantly by grabbing him by the collar and shoving him against the wall.

He raised his hands and said, "Don't you do anything you might regret."

"You get near Alex and I'll beat the—"

"Whoa! Slow down cowboy! Don't shoot the messenger. Viktor has an assignment for you."

"Look, asshole, I'm meeting with my team. If I have time, I'll talk with jerk-wad."

"I'll do you a favor and not relay that message. One more thing... since your captain lives, this isn't a homicide. The case is in my jurisdiction. I'll need all the evidence collected."

"Get the fuck outta here, McNeal before this actually becomes a murder case." I opened the door and shoved him out.

That SOB had the nerve to look back at me and smile.

"Looking forward to working with you, Captain. After all, this is about one of our own."

Janine

I opened the small plastic vile and tapped the contents onto my hand mirror, dividing the precious powder into three lines with a credit card. Using a rolled up ten-dollar bill, I snorted up two lines and chased that with double shot of Jacks. Fuck. I lived for this shit.

I knew I was in serious need of detox when this assignment was completed, but for now this was the only way I could cope with being Viktor's girl and doing the disgusting things I had to do. I knew he was responsible for my sister's abduction murder; I looked forward to the day I could put a bullet in his head. There was no way I'd let him plea bargain his way out with his crooked judges. I found my hatred for him to be my supreme motivator.

There were times when I couldn't believe the things I'd done in the past three years of investigation. It was a long and difficult road, but my patience and perseverance seemed to be finally paying off.

Earlier today, Viktor told me to prepare things at the mansion for some important guests, which meant arranging the entertainment and accommodations. He'd hinted that some of his international partners were visiting, if not all of them, and I was to do everything possible to make their stay memorable. What did "memorable" mean in Viktor Grekov's crooked dictionary? Girls, girls, and more girls.

This was the break we were looking for. I had used the guise of preparing for the party to ask him how many would be attending. Viktor had hesitated but eventually revealed it would be twelve or thirteen.

I knew from our Interpol contacts that this could possibly be all the international players we'd had under investigation. Catching them all together was an imperative because association with known criminals was evidence of collusion under international law. I knew we needed a comprehensive plan, and we needed it soon.

I wasn't sure how they'd managed, but I was informed the FBI had already bugged the mansion with undetectable surveillance devices. I sure hoped they worked because we'd be totally dependent on them to remotely monitor the activity inside.

I snorted in the remaining line of cocaine and shuttered as it hit my nervous system. It was important that I call Frank to give him an update, so I headed out to my car for privacy. He picked up on the first ring.

"Frank, we need to talk. I think we finally have a break in this case."

"Lay it on me."

"Viktor told me to prepare the mansion for about thirteen dignitaries. After all this time we've finally got them all in one location. Their security will be extremely high, so we need to limit who has this information as not to spook them."

"That's great! I've got some good news for you too."

"What?"

"Captain Greer has been upgraded to stable condition and... I'm going to be a daddy!"

"Oh my God! Alex is pregnant?" I nearly dropped my phone. "How in the hell did that happen?"

"Well, the way it works is... there's a boy and a girl..."

"Very funny! I thought she was using birth control."

"So did I. I guess I must have some real fast swimmers."

I wanted to be in the moment and be happy for them, but there were more important things to discuss.

"Frank, I have something else I need to tell you—something you're not going to like."

"Rip off the bandage fast, Janine. Let's hear it."

"Viktor insisted that Alex be a part of the entertainment at the mansion. I think he wants her to sing, but I can't guarantee that's all she'll be asked to do."

After a long pause, Frank said, "I'll talk to her when I get home. Those perverts won't touch her. I won't allow it. She's not some whore."

"You mean like me?" My heart sank. "Don't you?"

"I didn't mean that, Janine. I know the sacrifice you've made to bring these scumbags to justice. I just don't want my fiancée and mother of my child to be manhandled by these low-life criminals."

"I know this is tough for you, Frank, but if she refuses to go, it might raise suspicion. If she does go, I'll do my best to protect her—though I can't promise anything. I don't know these men. You need to talk it over with Alex. I'll need an answer soon."

"I'll talk with her tonight when I get to the apartment. Right now, I need to go talk with Viktor—he's asked to see me."

ALEXIA

After going to the drug store to buy some Ibuprofen, all I could think about was getting off my feet. I inserted my keycard in the door and waited for the green light. I wondered if anyone was home yet. My mind was preoccupied by what was going to happen with my pregnancy and pending nuptials. Truth be told, I really didn't feel I was ready for marriage or motherhood. This was all moving so fast.

I pushed open the door and it appeared there was no one home. After dropping my purse on the entry table, I climbed the stairs, looking forward to lounging in a warm bath and soaking my sore feet. My swollen ankles were killing me. I stripped off my clothes, tossing them haphazardly on the bed before I headed for the bath to turn on the water.

"Hi, babes."

"Janine!" I exclaimed in surprise. "Sorry, I didn't know you were in here."

"It's all good." She smiled. "I just got home not too long ago. Sit down. We need to talk."

I sat on the toilet and swung my legs over to put my feet in the tub. "I hope you don't mind, but my feet are killing me."

"It's because you're pregnant."

"Frank told you? Of course he told you," I recanted. "I'm surprised he's not handing out cigars." I laughed.

"Well, congratulations, sweetie. You'll make a great mom."

"Thanks, but this was accidental and it really doesn't fit into my long-term plans at all. A baby changes everything. I didn't go to college so I could be a housewife. I know Frank well enough. He'll want me to stay home changing diapers."

"That's exactly why I had my tubes tied. I like sex too much and I'm not into babies. I'd be a horrible wife and even worse mother. Plus, there's no chance in hell that I could remain monogamous."

I understood her reservations.

"Janine, can I discuss something private with you in absolute strict confidence?"

"You don't even need to ask. I would never betray anything you tell me, so go ahead. You've peaked my curiosity."

"Do you remember when I first started this undercover assignment and how scared I was of everything?"

"How could I forget? I really didn't believe you could handle the assignment, but you proved me wrong. You overcame your fears of being publicly exposed quicker than I thought—even faster than me. I think you're a natural exhibitionist, Alex. You've become a fan favorite at the club." She winked.

"That's my problem." I exhaled slowly. "When I first started this assignment, I had absolutely no experience with men, including my sexuality. It was only my pride and determination not to fail that kept me going. I realized recently that I'm not fearful anymore. In fact, the longer I did this gig, the more I liked it!"

"What is it you like about it?"

"I don't know exactly. I love singing and the attention, especially the power I have over men; it's addictive. The whole thing just seems so... naughty. As Frank can testify, I love sex more than anyone probably should. There are times I'm so sexually demanding that I think I'll kill him!"

Janine erupted in laughter. "Poor Frank! You do know every man's dream is to be fucked to death? Honey, you are preaching to the choir. I know exactly what you're feeling, but you're still young and filled with hormones."

"Your telling me! Now I'm filled with more than hormones." I giggled.

"I can see how the thought of becoming a wife and mother is daunting to you, but you picked a good man. In my thirty-five years on this planet, I've never seen a couple more in love than you two."

"So, you don't think I'm a bit... depraved?"

"For loving sex? Hell no! But I might not be the best person to ask moral advice from. Remember, I've already had a three-way with both of you. However, I know this for sure: you need to work this out before you make a lifetime commitment to forsake all others. Do you think you're ready to take those vows?"

"That's my problem," I said. "I should be able to answer that question with a 'yes' in absolute certainty. But I can't. I love and adore Frank more than I ever thought I could love anyone. However, I'm haunted by this feeling that I still have some unfinished business—or maybe I'm just getting cold feet."

"Normally I'd suggest that you put off getting married for a year or two if you feel that way, but your condition makes that option seem unlikely."

"Thing is, Janine... I've only been with one man my entire life. I have nothing to compare. My curiosity about other men has been playing tricks on my mind. I also know if I don't come to terms with this before we marry, it could destroy our marriage."

The dam had broken, as my tears started to flow.

"I... I don't know what to do," my voice cracked. "I find myself checking out men constantly. I know it's wrong, but I can't help myself. Maybe it's the sexually charged environment we work in. I'm not sure of anything anymore. This job is messing with my head. I need to talk about this with Frank. I think we can work this out together."

ChuckEPoo
ChuckEPoo
305 Followers