Underwear Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SadieRose
SadieRose
425 Followers

This unlooked for and unanticipated support came as something of a shock to Rayne's system and he found himself lost for words, unable to thank his rescuer, or to defend the poor fellow when Kev laid into him verbally. The argument washed over Rayne and as the handful of browsers in the store peered nervously at this big man, ranting like a lunatic, the Vampire backed off slowly until he was clear of them both. Then he turned and fled as fast as his diamante heels could take him.

He was halfway down the concrete stairs, his heart thumping in his chest, when it occurred to him that he was still dressed like a hooker. Behind him he could hear raised voices, even through the heavy fire doors at the top of the stairwell, and this made up his mind for him. He could not go back in there. For a start, it would mean forgiving Kev for humiliating him and he was not ready to do that yet. Steeling himself for further embarrassment, he clicked rapidly down the remaining steps and peered anxiously out of the doorway, up and down the street outside. It was late afternoon and mercifully quiet back in the real world. Taking a deep breath, Rayne Wylde lifted his head and walked hastily out onto the square.

In the reflective window of Kev's Saab, he adjusted his smudged lipstick and pulled his raven hair forward around his face before setting off resolutely in the direction of Piccadilly and the security of his house. It was not so far, he kept telling himself. Just a short walk and he would be fine. He could strip off and take a long, hot bath and have a large vodka to settle his nerves. Grimly he focused on those things.

It did not take long before his feet began to feel as though someone was sticking hot pins into them. His legs were aching mercilessly from walking in such an unaccustomed position and it was as if rats were biting his toes off piece by piece. For much of the way, he was able to keep to the back streets, which was a godsend. The few people he encountered either ignored him or looked him up and down sceptically before going on their way.

Shaking fingers pulled down his shades, which had been perched on top of his head for much of the afternoon. Even though it was gloomy now, he felt safer hidden behind the smoked glass.

At Piccadilly Station, he was forced to leave the shadows and cross London Road. Here it was busier, but not as bad as crossing Piccadilly Plaza would have been. It was the long route home, but worth it if no one recognised him. On the corner, by the foot of Station Approach, a group of young men wolf-whistled appreciatively and shouted lewd comments after him, but he kept going, relentlessly, ignoring everything but the promise of comfort and safety.

By now the pain in his feet was so bad that he was tempted to take his boots off and make a run for it barefoot. It consumed every last fragment of his awareness, right up to the moment, crossing the tramlines at the bottom of Aytoun Street, less than a few hundred yards from safety, when his left heel slipped and jammed in a gap between the metal track and the brick paving around it and his impetus brought him down and broke his ankle. He was conscious of the crack of bone moments before he hit the floor on one knee and both elbows.

The scream it tore from his lips was born more of frustration than pain. Cursing incoherently, he pulled at the recalcitrant heel but it refused to budge. Something hooted distantly and in that instant his world opened up again and he raised his head, aware of several people heading towards him from different directions. Most of all he was conscious of the tram which had eased to a halt just a couple of feet away.

"Are you all right?" someone asked.

"She looked stoned," another voice (the tram driver, he thought) declared gruffly. "She just walked out in front of me. Never looked. Then she was on the floor. Lucky I wasn't goin' fast, I'd 'ave killed 'er!"

"I need to get up," Rayne said neutrally.

"Stay put, girl. Looks like you've done yourself a mischief," the first voice instructed and he looked up into a wizened, sun-browned, masculine face, and the sharped, most golden eyes he had ever seen on a mortal.

"I'll be fine," the Vampire told him tersely, feeling his mouth go dry. Already he could feel the bones trying to knit again. He itched to get the boot off; long fingers struggled in vain with the zip and the buckles. "I'm late. I need to..."

"I'll call for an ambulance, shall I?" the tram driver asked uncertainly.

"Yes," the elderly fellow said, more firmly, just as Rayne exclaimed; "'No'!"

The zip came down and he wriggled out of the boot, struggling to his knees. The difference in height and the weakness in his unshod ankle brought him down again when he tried to stand and now he swore as he wrestled the other boot off furiously.

"What's it to be, luv?" the tram-driver demanded, looking helplessly from his vehicle to the gathering crowd around it.

"Just leave me alone!" Rayne snarled, pushing himself upright again, keeping his weight on the good leg this time. He managed to limp clear of the track but it was slow going and he was forced to stop by the wall, which enclosed the canal bank. A hand took his arm on the injured side and drew it across strong, broad shoulders before he could push it away.

"I'm not going to ask what this is all about," a mellow, accentless voice said close to his ear. "Let's get you out of here while we can, shall we?"

Rayne blinked hard. It was as if he was seeing two images. Through the glamour of the old, keen eyed stranger, he saw long, silver-blond hair and an endless, amber gaze so solemn and familiar that he wanted to cry out his progenitor's name.

"Jabez?" he whispered hoarsely instead.

...to be concluded in part two.

SadieRose
SadieRose
425 Followers