Unexpected Romance

Story Info
Joy changes Simon's life in ways he never imagined.
14.8k words
4.79
36.6k
45
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is for the Valentine's Day contest, so any feedback and of course votes would be appreciated.

*

Not really sure what to expect when she started up the winding driveway that led to her new employer's house, but Joy was as surprised as she was delighted to find the most charming house she'd ever seen, her eyes lighting up as she reached the end of her journey and pulled to a stop to take a look. It was a picture perfect white Cape Cod with black shutters and three white dormer windows across the front, with a slate roof and an attached two-car garage. And although it was a fair size, she quickly decided that it looked more cozy than palatial. And as she parked her little car out in front, looking around, she could see that also it overlooked the ocean on one side, and was forested on the other. Wow, what a lovely place to call home-- at least for a while.

Just in case, she decided it might be best to leave her luggage in the car at least until she'd actually had a chance to finally meet the man who had hired her to become his housekeeper and cook.

After inhaling a lungful of fresh crisp sea air, mixed with a delightful hint of pine, once she'd pushed the doorbell and heard it chime inside the house, she realized she had no idea what to expect. He'd told her that he was a retired English professor who lived alone, but that was about it. For all she knew he could be anywhere from forty to ninety, since it was hard to tell from a disembodied voice on the phone how old he was, or what he'd be like.

Standing and waiting, it occurred to her after a few minutes that no one seemed to be coming to the door. So she pushed the bell again and waited a little more. But as the minutes began to drag on, she wondered if he might be out for a walk on the beach or could even be somewhere out in the woods going for a hike. Not sure what to do, she tried the doorbell one last time and then wondered if she should try phoning him. Sure that they'd agreed for her to start today, now she just hoped he hadn't changed his mind about hiring her, especially after she'd driven all the way from Chicago to northern California, which had been one long gruelling trip, especially on her own in winter.

But at least she knew if he had taken the time to check her references, he would have discovered, just as she'd told him that she'd tutored a few kids while going through college, and later after graduating, worked as a barista. At least until she decided she was wasting her English degree fixing half-caff, non-fat, stevia sweetened, vegan lattes all day for a bunch of overly demanding pretentious twits.

So she was certain she didn't have anything to be ashamed of online, since she'd never been much of a partier. And although she loved to have fun, she wasn't into taking selfies, naked or otherwise, or bragging about her life and every meal she ate, like so many of her friends were into. So there definitely wouldn't be any embarrassing pictures to be uncovered. And of course she'd never been in trouble with the law or anyone else, since everyone was always teasing her about being honest and law abiding to a fault, often referring to her as an 'old soul.'

Truth was, a lot of other twenty-six year olds might not think a job like this would suit them, but since Joy was more into books than picking up men, and never cared much about barhopping or shopping till she dropped, she imagined working for an elderly gentleman who'd claimed she could use her liberal free time just as she pleased, sounded like the perfect gig to her. And now finally she might have some time to get some writing done.

When there was still no sounds coming from inside the house, about to go back to her car and try her phone, she was surprised when the door slowly began to creep open and she found herself standing face to face with an incredibly handsome man who she imagined to be in somewhere in fifties with only a smidgen of gray at the temples of his dark hair, that only made him look more distinguished. But right away she noticed that his blue eyes looked watery, like he'd been crying. And when he wiped a hand across his eyes and seemed to be struggling to pull himself together, she didn't know where to look. Awkward didn't even begin to describe what she was feeling. Wow, what a way to start a new job.

"I'm Joy," she finally explained, slightly wincing, while doing her best to look anywhere but at him.

With a nod of his head, he stepped away from the doorway, and said quietly, "Of course, come in, Joy." Finally, he heaved a deep breath, extended his hand and introduced himself. "And I'm Simon."

Doing her best not to stare, figuring he had to be uncomfortable enough, once she'd shaken his hand she glanced around the gorgeous interior, and said, "Wow, you really have a beautiful home."

Simon looked around then, too. "Thanks. My wife did all the decorating."

Not too sure what to say, since she had no idea what of had become of his wife, Joy just took in the splendor of the place, deciding that wherever his wife was, she sure had good taste. It was so tastefully decorated it looked like a spread from a design magazine. And it all worked together so perfectly, from the detailed watercolors of old sailing ships on the walls to the deep blue leather couches in the living area, and the incredible antiques and brass accents scattered here and there, it was absolutely gorgeous, and yet it still had such a homey feel.

Finally Simon looked at her confused. "Don't you have any luggage?"

"Yes, but since I wasn't sure where you wanted me to stay, I left everything in the car for now."

"Well, I guess I should help you with it and show you to your room, then."

And once they made their way up the winding oak spindled staircase with the striking blue oriental runner that led up to the second floor, Simon walked her to the end of the hallway and opened a door that brought them into an incredibly beautiful bedroom with a huge four-poster bed, and a view of the ocean that she instantly decided was to die for. "Wow," she said, her gaze drawn to the sun sparkling out on the shimmering water that seemed to go on forever. "What a view. I've never seen anything like it."

Turning his head and taking it in, too, Simon, told her, "It's the reason we built here. We both loved to sail. But I got rid of the boat right after she died since I never felt much like going out on the water without her."

Not sure what to say to that, although she was sorry to hear about his loss, Joy decided it might be best just to take a moment to appreciate the room. Mostly white with a mahogany four-poster bed and a few colorful pink and rose accents, she had to say his late wife's tastes were impeccable. "And this is quite a beautiful room, too," she told him.

Finally he managed a bit of a smile. "Glad you like it."

Not sure what else she should say, she asked, "When would you like me to start?"

Simon almost said, Start what? But thankfully he caught himself. As glad to have some company as he was to find someone to help keep his house in order, he told her, "Just so you know, Joy, I don't really expect much of you. All I need is a few meals a day, and if you could keep the house tidy, I'd be happy. And then the rest of the time is basically yours."

Nodding thoughtfully, although pleased to hear that he wouldn't be much of a task master she still wondered how badly he needed help, if by the sounds of what he'd said, he wasn't expecting all that much of her.

She looked at her watch, and seeing as it was just after one, she suggested, "If you haven't had lunch yet I could fix you something."

Shaking his head, he said, "No, thanks, I don't think I could stomach anything just yet. But if you want anything, feel free to help yourself to whatever you'd like. I wasn't sure what you'd need, so I did a little shopping yesterday, but I can show you where to shop later on if you'd like."

And as she looked into his eyes as he spoke, Simon's gaze settled on hers and he felt almost a sense of déjà vu. His wife Jenny had pretty chestnut brown hair like hers, and was about her height with a similar slender build, and also had surprisingly striking sky blue eyes. And the way she looked at him, kind of wide-eyed, had him remembering the first time he'd ever set eyes on his wife, who'd looked just as innocent and every bit as sweet. "Is anything wrong?" Joy finally asked, wondering why he was staring at her the way he was.

Shaking his head to clear it, he said, "No, nothing's wrong." Then walking towards the door, he said, "Anyway, I'll leave you to get settled, and whenever you're ready I'll show you around."

Watching him leave, she wondered what had upset him, since she could tell the moment he'd first opened the door that he'd been crying, and began to wonder how long it had been since he'd lost his wife.

Careful not to take too long unpacking, Joy found Simon at his computer in his office, sitting behind a beautiful big oak desk. But he didn't seem to be doing much more than staring off into space, at least until she knocked on the door and got his attention, making him quickly turn his head, and ask, "All settled in?"

She nodded. "Yes. So if you'd like to show me around, I'm ready."

They walked to the other end of the house to the kitchen that not surprisingly, was just as beautiful as the rest of the house. And as she looked around, she noticed that everything looked almost brand new, like it had barely been used -- from the state of the art appliances to the deep gray granite counter tops to the rich cherry wood cabinetry. And then she smiled when she saw there was even a view of the lush green forest, right outside the kitchen window. And since she loved to cook, she already knew it would be fun to work in a kitchen like this. And right beside the kitchen was the laundry room, which looked so fresh and clean, everything was just so white with just a few soft well-placed turquois accents. But then she noticed a water bowl on the floor and her eyes lit up, and she smiled at him, and asked, "Oh, do you have a pet?"

Blinking hard, it took Simon a minute to clear his throat and tell her, "I did, until about an hour ago. Just before you got here, I was at the vets having him put down."

"Oh, I'm so sorry." Without even thinking, she reached out and ran her hand soothingly over his arm. No wonder he'd been upset and didn't want to answer the door. Oh god, the poor man -- how much could one person take -- losing his wife and now his dog. She was glad now that she'd come, otherwise he'd be all alone.

Heaving a sigh, he told her, "Beau was twelve, and his kidneys were failing. And he was such a good dog, that I couldn't stand to watch him suffer anymore, so..."

Giving his arm a little squeeze, Joy said, "Of course." She knew having to put a pet down was never easy, and she could really feel for him.

When he looked down and noticed that she still had her hand on his arm, he lifted his gaze to hers and said, "Well, at least it's over with. But taking him in the car for that final ride had to be one of the hardest things I've ever had to do."

"I know," she said, still gently rubbing her hand up and down his arm. "Growing up I always had pets, and I know how much it hurts to lose one." After a few minutes of awkward silence, she tipped her head, and suggested, "Why don't you show me the beach?" And as he was opening the side door, she quickly grabbed the water bowl and tucked into the cupboard under the laundry tub, so he wouldn't have to see it again.

They walked together along the beach, with her arm looped through his. Already he was finding her surprisingly easy to be with, and not afraid of being close, judging by how comfortably she was walking with him arm in arm. Then he rolled his eyes, thinking back -- unlike the last woman he'd had to let go. Tall, heavyset and bossy, although she was probably only in her forties, for some reason, she thought she had to mother him -- almost to death. And he sure as hell didn't need another mother. But this girl, on the other hand, seemed to be able to balance being compassionate without being overbearing. And already he had a feeling they were going to get along just fine. Providing of course, she didn't start trying to tell him how to live his life. He'd had enough of well-meaning friends and family telling him that it was long past time to stop grieving over losing his wife. Five years might seem like a long time for most people, but being as happily married as they were, he still felt like he'd lost part of himself once she was gone, and every day felt like a challenge just to try to keep living without her, even after so many years.

Sensing he was still in a dark place, Joy squeezed his arm to her side, smiling as they walked along the sand. Turning her face up to the sun, she said, "Do you have any idea how lucky you are to have all this right outside your front door?"

Although he nodded, he hadn't really considered it in a very long time. She was right though, and part of him knew that he should be grateful for a lot of things, even just having his health.

But watching her, he couldn't help noticing how happy she looked just to be out here by the ocean and the way her face lit up when she smiled, had him smiling, too. "I know," he finally agreed, squeezing her arm to pull her a little closer. Funny, but already it felt like they'd known each other for a while. She was nothing like most of the young women he'd known, especially when he was still lecturing, so many of them were just so showy and shallow, only caring about their looks and of course their precious cellphones. He noticed as he looked at her a little more closely that she didn't seem to be wearing any makeup, not that she needed it, with features as perfect as hers. Her high cheeks had a healthy rosy glow and her lips were full and pink. And he decided that she was even prettier than he'd first realized, since she seemed to shine with an inner beauty and warmth that he imagined not every woman naturally possessed.

Finally letting go of his arm, Joy bent and picked up a flat white seashell from the sand, turning it in her hand, her eyes twinkling, she told him, "I think I'll put this in my room to remind me of the day I first walked here with you." With the captivating way she smiled into his eyes, despite how glum he'd been feeling, he found he couldn't help but smile back. She was pretty sweet, and he already had a feeling they were going to enjoy each other's company immensely. And then he felt something stir inside him that he hadn't felt in so long, that he hardly recognized it as the sensation of being attracted to a woman. Not that he'd act on it, especially with her being so young, but it still felt kind of nice to know that he wasn't quite dead yet.

And as he watched her run over to the shore and try and touch the water without getting her feet wet, when she squealed and laughed as a wave crashed ashore and soaked her shoes, making her jump back, for the first time in a long time, he found himself laughing, too. God, she really was a delight, and he decided that she was very aptly named. Then she turned that pretty smile on him, and said, "Oh, well, at least I got to feel the ocean washing over my hand -- and my feet. And that's a first, because I've never had a chance to touch the ocean before." Then he watched her slip her tongue out and touch a finger to the end of it to have a taste, telling him, "Ooh, and it really is salty isn't it?"

He laughed. "Yeah, it is."

As she happily wrapped her arms around herself, closed her eyes and smiled up at the warmth of the sun on her face, he decided that she was more than just fun, she was like a welcome little ray of sunshine, and could possibly be just what he needed to help him get out of the funk his life had become.

Eventually continuing on their walk along the deserted beach, they conversed like old friends as they strolled together arm in arm. Curious about her, he asked her what she ultimately wanted to do with her life. And when she told him that her dream was to become a successful writer, he smiled nodding his head, knowing just where she was coming from since he'd been hopelessly stuck on finishing the book he'd started just before his wife Jenny had been diagnosed with cancer. And he'd published so many before, that he was beginning to think that he'd lost his touch. So, who knows, maybe she could help him with that, too.

Once they finally got back to the house, both of them were quivering a little, feeling chilled, since the beach got cool in February, especially as the day wore on. And seeing her shiver, he noticed once she took her jacket off that he could see her nipples plain as day, pressed hard against her snug pink sweater, he felt that stirring again, as his gaze froze on the enticing sight of her erect little peaks poking at the fabric. And when he finally lifted his gaze and their eyes met, from the warmth he could see in hers, he wondered if she was feeling it, too. But then he gave his head a shake. What was he thinking? She was way too young for him, even if he was interested, which he told himself he wasn't. Of course he hadn't hired her to fool around with, since he really only needed her to try and help keep him sane so that he wouldn't actually become the house hermit everyone had accused him of turning into since Jenny had died.

Then she got his attention when she tipped her head, and said, "Do you like to cook, Simon?"

With a shrug, he said, "I manage to feed myself."

Then she flashed that pretty grin that he was already beginning to enjoy. "Well, how about we make some soup together, then? It sure feels like soup weather to me."

With a nod, he followed her into the kitchen, suddenly very aware of the way her jeans were hugging her tight little backside, and just how amazingly long her legs really were, especially with how enticingly they were encased in skin tight denim. And as he enjoyed the sway of her hips, he began to wonder how fetching she might look if she were out of them. But then he rolled his eyes, a little surprised where his thoughts had taken him, since he hadn't so much as looked at another woman since the day he'd met his wife, over twenty five years ago. And now here he was, shamelessly ogling this young woman that he had no business ogling.

But no matter what he'd told himself, watching her smile at him playfully as she got everything out of the fridge that they'd need, he couldn't stop himself from smiling back. And he enjoyed how effortlessly she joked with him and laughed, even gave him a teasing little hip bump as they worked together side-by-side at the kitchen counter chopping up vegetables. And after she'd taken a bite, she held out a crisp strip of red pepper for him to taste, and said, "Mmm, you have to taste this, Simon, it's just so sweet."

And as he accepted the crunchy morsel, with his gaze fixed on hers as he enjoyed it, he decided that she was even sweeter. And he was beginning to wonder if hiring such a pretty young thing had been such a good idea. It sure wouldn't take much to find himself getting carried away with her, and he had a feeling that no matter where his thoughts were going that she saw him for what he was, a man who was old enough to be her father, and probably nothing more. But he had to admit, it was still fun to work in the kitchen with her, especially since he'd never done it with his wife. Of course Jenny had been such a good cook, that she'd never really encouraged him to help her.

But he noticed as they worked together on creating a huge pot of soup -- that she seemed to be putting together out of her head -- that he found himself laughing more with her than he'd laughed in ages, she was just so much fun and so playful, that it almost felt therapeutic just to be with her.