Unicorn Fire

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I whistled a tune, one I had heard so many times in my life that I had long since memorized it. A moment later, I heard a fluttering sound and a pixie emerged from behind a tree.

Pixies were small fae that lived in forests and could get around easily. If asked nicely and offered a small payment, they could even send messages.

I pulled out two things: an apple and a letter for my parents I had written the previous night. It was a long letter; I wanted to tell them so much about the things I had done and the new friends I had made, but I knew that some of the details I was better off keeping to myself. I wanted my parents to know I was okay and happy, and that they didn't need to worry.

"May you please give this letter to the unicorns named Verbena and Rhododendron?"

The pixie nodded their head before grabbing both items and flying away. I lost sight of them almost immediately.

I stood at the forest's edge for a moment before returning to my battalion.

*****

Adjusting to life in Castle Town was even more challenging than adjusting to life in the Peregrine Battalion.

Even though we were a band of knights, only Gerard, Jaqueline, and the five squadron leaders were officially knighted by the king, which meant they and their immediate families were given food and lodging by the nobility, and all they needed to do was occasionally uphold the law in Castle Town. The rest of us were commoners and had to make do between deployments.

Naja worked as an assistant to a blacksmith, but it didn't take long for me to know that I wasn't suited for that line of work. Eventually I was able to get a job for a nearby bakery. I worked in the shop and often conducted deliveries all over town. I was never comfortable when I was out and about.

The townspeople weren't as accepting and kind as my fellow soldiers. Everywhere I went, the passersby stared at me, whispering and pointing at my horn. I felt watched at all times. I had taken to wearing my horn cover whenever I was outside at night. I didn't want more people to notice how different I was.

It wasn't all bad, though. I was able to make a new friend. On my way home from work one evening I saw a bard that caught my attention immediately.

They were radiant, an otherworldly kind of beautiful. Their body was like that of a huma, except pristinely flawless and smooth. Even more striking was their large wings, with feathers that glittered bronze and gold in the light. Their eyes were solid in color, though what color that was kept changing. They played their harp beautifully and sang, their voice sweet and pure.

After their song we introduced ourselves and had a conversation.

Apparently they were named Andalusite and was a creature called a seraph. Seraphs were genderless beings, very rare and unique. They looked the same age their entire lives and could even use their wings to fly short distances. I would often stop and talk to them on my walks home.

Every few days, I would get a letter from Jaqueline asking me to meet her. She would purchase a room in a local inn and we would mate. I'd look forward to it more and more each time. When I was tired or sad, whether from a stressful day or even homesickness, she would make me feel whole again. Without her, my new life in Castle Town would have been so much more difficult.

Before long it became clear to me that I was falling for her. I knew she wanted me to tell her, but I couldn't. I didn't want our relationship to end. I decided to hide my feelings. We could continue as we were if I didn't tell her how I really felt. Unrequited love happened all the time. I could accept that and still be with Jacqueline.

On days that I didn't work I would train, wanting to improve my archery skills. Those were the times when I felt more like I did in Peregrine. I wanted to be the best warrior I could.

My new routine wasn't without its difficulties, but I was adapting.

I was forming a new life, a new home.

*****

Around the time I had been living in Castle Town for a full moon cycle, Jaqueline completely stopped her contact with me. It had gone from a liaison every day or two to none for an entire fortnight. I asked around about it and apparently she wasn't in any sort of trouble at all, she was doing just fine.

It made me think back to our last night together and wonder what had happened. We did the same things we always did. I accidentally fell asleep for a while afterwards, but that hardly seemed like a reason for her to be mad at me.

Part of me worried that she saw through my act and could tell I loved her, but I couldn't place a moment where I slipped up. I had been able to keep it from her for this long, so I didn't know what had happened.

Eventually I decided that I needed to take matters into my own hands. I sent her a letter, asking her to meet me at the inn where we always met. I planned to tell her the truth about my feelings, and only after would I ask why she stopped reaching out to me.

The matter weighed heavy on my mind for the next day. I kept thinking about what I would say to her, how I would apologize and ask her to take a chance with me. It must have been apparent in my expression, because Andalusite noticed right away when I walked by that evening.

"Hello, Wisteria. You look like you have something on your mind."

I sighed. "It's a personal matter. I don't really want to talk about it."

"At least tell me you're working to fix this."

"I am, actually. I'm going to meet up with them tonight and try to sort things out."

They gave me a look I couldn't identify.

"Where are you meeting them? I could come along and support you if you wish."

I shook my head. "It's nothing that serious. We're just meeting at the inn's tavern tonight." They asked which one and I told them the name of the inn.

"I see. Well, I hope things improve for you."

I smiled. "Thanks for your concern. I appreciate it."

The rest of the evening moved at a crawl. I was stuck in my head, imagining all the possible ways things could go between Jacqueline and I. But at long last the time came and I went to meet her.

She was waiting for me in the tavern and I felt my heart flutter, seeing her again after so many days. But when she noticed me her expression was enough to make me want to run away.

I sat down at the table and there was an uncomfortable silence.

"How have you been doing? We haven't seen each other in a while."

"I'm aware of that." Her voice was firm and unrelenting. I didn't want to waste any more time.

"Jacqueline, I have something to tell you."

"Is it that you've been lying to me for who knows how long? That you've hidden your feelings from me?"

My blood ran cold.

"I...how did you know?"

"You mumble in your sleep. You kept murmuring about how much you love me."

I talked in my sleep? I never knew that.

"Jacqueline, I'm sorry, I just didn't want what we have to end."

"It's too late for that. I don't want to be intimate with someone who lies to me. I thought I could trust you."

I felt tears well up, but I also found myself getting angry.

"You told me to let you know if I fell in love because you didn't want to hurt me. But you seem fine with hurting me now. Was what I did really so unforgivable? Was it so wrong to want to be with the one I love?"

"I will not let you twist this situation. You broke a promise to me."

"I only did that because I didn't want to lose the connection we have! The way you held me, the way you touched me and comforted me when I was sad, did that all really mean nothing to you?"

That gave her pause for a moment.

"My feelings are irrelevant."

"How could you possibly say that? Of course your feelings matter! Can you really look me in the eye and say you feel nothing for me?"

She didn't say anything, but her expression told me enough.

"Who are you to condemn me for hiding my feelings when you're doing the same thing? Why are you so against something more forming between us?"

"I already told you, I'm not ready for love."

"What about it aren't you ready for? What are you so afraid of?"

"I'm not strong enough."

"You're the strongest person I've ever—"

"You don't know me!" She was shouting now. "You don't understand what I've been through! Who do you think you are, lying to me and making me the one at fault? Get out of my sight!"

Tears poured down my face as I stood up and left.

As angry as I was at Jacqueline, I was also angry at myself. I couldn't even be honest with the one I loved. I felt like scum.

I had worked so hard to confront all my obstacles. I trained until I could join the archers. I fought in battle. I was even living on my own in Castle Town, but this was something I couldn't get past. This love had defeated me in a way nothing else could.

I was walking so fast I tripped on something I couldn't see. Frustrated, I took off my horn cover. It was dark. I needed my light. I didn't care who saw it anymore. I crumpled it in my fist and kept walking until I heard a voice.

"Wisteria?"

I recognized the voice as Andalusite's. I looked around and saw them in the alley next to me.

"You're crying. What's wrong?"

"I...it would take too long to explain."

"That's okay. I'm here for you. Come here." They held out their arms, inviting me. I was so happy to see a friendly face, so excited to be held again, that I didn't notice the other presence until it was too late.

I felt a powerful blow to my head and everything went black.

*****

My head ached when I awoke. I looked around, trying to get my bearings.

From the natural light it seemed to be around dawn. I was in a forest. I had no idea how far away from Castle Town I was.

I was also bound, gagged, and being carried by two people.

On one side was Andalusite. On the other was someone who looked a bit like Andalusite. They had the same ethereal, genderless appearance, but their skin was a deep red. Their wings were gray and leathery instead of feathered, and their eyes were as black as the darkest night.

I yelled through my gag and tried to wriggle free.

"Oh, you're awake." Andalusite said, their voice not sounding so sweet and soothing anymore.

"Maybe we should knock him out again," the other snarled. Their voice was deep and rough.

I looked at Andalusite, eyes wide.

"Oh, you two haven't been introduced yet." They both threw me to the ground.

"Wisteria, this is my partner, Carnelian. They're from a species similar to the seraph called daemon."

"Pleased to meet you," Carnelian bowed and grinned, exposing sharp teeth.

I made more muffled yells.

"Andalusite, he's making too much noise. Can't we just kill him now?"

"Not yet, love. We need to deliver him alive."

I cried out.

The seraph walked up to me and crouched down.

"If we free your mouth, do you promise to not shout and make a fuss?"

Nervously, I nodded my head.

They removed my gag and I coughed a bit before speaking.

"Andalusite, what are you doing? What's going on?"

The seraph tilted their head.

"Is it not obvious? We're kidnapping you. We want your horn."

I felt all the blood drain from my face.

"You...you can't do that! That's illegal now!"

"That won't be a problem if we don't get caught," Carnelian snarled.

"Andalusite, I thought we were friends!"

They laughed without humor.

"You and I were never friends. I don't trust anyone in that horrible town. They're all filth."

The seraph stood up again and held the daemon's hand.

"Carnelian is the only one I trust, the only one I love. Society ostracized them because of how they look. But it accepts you and I, even though we look just as strange, because we're supposedly beautiful. It's disgusting."

My two captors held each other in an embrace.

"But with the money we'll make from his horn, we can abandon society and live by our own rules! It'll be just the two of us."

"Just you and I," the daemon purred.

They kissed. The seraph looked at me again.

"You're just an unfortunate sacrifice in the name of our future. Feel honored to give up your life for such a cause."

Andalusite didn't look so beautiful now. Suddenly they looked cold, unnatural. They were just as terrifying as the daemon.

Tears poured down my face.

This is exactly what I was afraid would happen if I left my forest.

I should never have joined Peregrine.

Wait...no. This wasn't the battalion's fault. They were all so kind to me. My problems only really began when I went to Castle Town. Perhaps I should have lived the life my parents had lived, peaceful and quiet. But I wouldn't regret any of the experience I had with my new family in Peregrine. I lived a life of adventure, if only for a while.

"Our rendezvous point is nearby, boy," Carnelian growled. "We'll give you a quick, painless death soon enough."

I felt myself begin to sob. I couldn't run. I couldn't call for help. I was going to die.

Andalusite was staring to pick me up when Carnelian held out a hand, signaling them to stop.

"Wait, I hear something."

Their ears must have been very sensitive, because I couldn't hear anything besides the regular sounds of the forest around us.

There was a moment of silence, the daemon holding their hand behind their ear, before their eyes widened.

"Andalusite, run!"

An instant later, something came into view. It got closer and it was the last thing I ever expected to see at a time like this.

Keir, the dullahan from Peregrine, was riding in on his faithful steed Nyx. That horse was a force to be reckoned with. She was gigantic, but could maneuver and run around any terrain near silently. But the dullahan looked just as horrifying. What was normally a faint red glow around his head was a burning crimson fire. He only looked like that when he was furious.

A moment later I saw that he wasn't the only one riding Nyx. Two more people were on her as well.

Behind Keir was Quintus, the lycanthrope who led the swordfighters. His sword was drawn, ready for battle.

And behind Quintus was Jacqueline.

The seraph cursed. "You said we weren't being followed!"

"We weren't!" the daemon yelled back.

The three got off of Nyx and drew their weapons.

"By the authority of the Royal Knights of the Northern Kingdom," Keir roared. "You are under arrest for kidnapping and attempted murder!"

Andalusite and Carnelian both took out knives. They fought their hardest, but were no match for three of the strongest warriors from Peregrine. The scuffle was over as quickly as it began, and the two were soundly defeated.

Jacqueline and Keir bound them while Quintus freed me.

"Are you okay, Wisteria?" he asked. "Did they hurt you?"

I shook my head. "My head hurts a little, but other than that I'm fine."

He hugged me warmly.

"Those two bastards will be punished to the fullest extent of the law. We as a society have moved past poaching unicorns for money. And anyone who tries to hurt our family will have to pay the price."

"I...thank you."

"You should really be thanking Jacqueline. Without her, we wouldn't have found you in time."

Really? I thought Jacqueline didn't want anything to do with me anymore.

Soon the seraph and daemon were tied up and slung over Nyx's back.

"Quintus and I will deliver these two to Castle Town," Keir said. "Jacqueline, you can make sure Wisteria gets home safely."

"I will. Thank you for your help today."

"Of course."

They all rode off, leaving me alone with the valkyrie.

The two of us walked down the path we came from. Jacqueline seemed on edge the whole time, her daggers drawn. Eventually I felt the need to say something.

"How did you find me?"

She sighed before answering.

"A little after you left the tavern I wanted to go to you and apologize for the things I said. I went too far. But when I got to Naja's house he said you were still gone. He thought you were with me. So I went down the path to the tavern, trying to find you. That's when I saw this in an alley."

She reached into a pouch on her back and pulled out my horn cover.

"That was worrying enough, but when I saw the bloodstain on the ground I feared the worst."

I remembered how hard Carnelian hit me. I didn't think it drew blood, though.

"That was when I went to Quintus and Keir. Quintus was able to track your scent and Keir made up for lost time with Nyx's speed. I know that without them we wouldn't have caught up."

I smiled wanly. "Thank you all for helping me."

She smiled back.

"I knew I couldn't leave things between us the way they were. I'm sorry for what I said."

"Me too."

She sighed again.

"I'm happy that the last thing I ever told you wasn't to get out of my sight. Now we can move on."

She kept walking, but I stood still.

"Is that really where you want to leave things?"

Jacqueline stopped.

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about us. You never did tell me how you felt. But you did so much to make sure I was okay. Please, tell me, do you love me back?"

She looked down.

"To be honest, I don't really know how I feel anymore. I've been so guarded against the idea of falling in love for so long, I'm not sure if I could even recognize love if it came."

The valkyrie walked again and I moved to walk at her side.

"What happened to you, Jacqueline? Why does love scare you so much?"

She sort of set her jaw before speaking.

"I wasn't telling you the whole truth when I told you about the soldier who took me in. He was my family, but as the years went by I realized I loved him even more than that. He was my whole world. When I came of age, I wanted to ask him to marry me."

I raised my eyebrows.

"But then he died. My entire life was shattered. Not only was the person I loved more than anything gone, but I never even got the chance to tell him how much I cared. All I knew was battle, death, and destruction. But he was always there to show me there was some good in the world. Then the only thing that made my life worth living was taken away."

For the first time, I saw her start to cry.

"I really and truly wanted to die, Wisteria. If I hadn't have found my sister, I know I wouldn't be here today."

I didn't know what to do, but when I offered a hand to hold she accepted.

"I'm so afraid to love because I can't go through something like that again. I'm not just living for myself. I need to take care of my sister."

I gripped her hand a little tighter.

"But why can't you be happy while you do that? I'm sure your sister wouldn't want you to be sad on her account."

"That's the thing, I was pretty sure I wasn't sad living my life without love. I had my sister. I had the Battalion. But ever since I met you, I'm starting to feel like there's something missing."

"I'm sorry, Jacqueline, but I do love you. I don't know if I could ever change that."

She petted my hair. It felt so good to feel her touch again.

"I'm a little jealous of you, Wisteria. You're so open with your emotions. I've never been like that. I've been closed off for so long."

I looked her in the eye.

"It doesn't have to be that way. I love you."

"But...what if I lose you?"

"We're both in a band of knights. We face death all the time. Wouldn't it be better to have someone to share life with until the day comes?"

She wiped a few tears away.

"That sounds...nice."

She held both of my hands and looked at me.

"Wisteria, I don't want to be numb anymore. Will you help me feel something again?"

I nodded, feeling some tears of my own.

"If you'll have me."

The valkyrie wrapped me up in a hug and I felt like I was finally complete.

She kissed me on the head.

"Come on, little foal. Let's go home."

*****

It was two moons later and the Peregrine Battalion was getting ready for its next deployment. We were going to the west to aid one of the Northern Kingdom's allies in battle.