UnitedFutures Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

****

New York UnitedFutures Headquarters, 5:04 am

The heavy-set door to the tenth sub-level of the hub beneath the New York swung open. Three different pairs of footsteps were audible -- each striking the metal floor at irregular intervals. From Veronica's vantage point, she saw Andrea appear to her right, flanked by two men.

"Andrea, how nice of you to visit me at this early hour." Veronica said. Andrea's face remained impassive.

"I'm sorry to have to do this to you Veronica," Andrea replied. "But Fenwick submitted his final report last night." She paused for a moment. "He recommended that your project on the nano-cultures be decommissioned."

"Really?" Veronica could hear tools being removed from boxes and saw both men disappear from her view. "That wasn't how I read the document." The screen behind Andrea sparked into life -- and David Fenwick's report was projected onto it. "In fact, I think if you look here..." One particular section of the report was suddenly highlighted. "He's actually stating that he thinks additional resources should be directed towards the project." Andrea looked at Veronica, her eyes ablaze with anger. "And he found something rather illuminating within the security tapes..."

The screen suddenly shifted. The footage being replayed on the oversized monitor relayed the events of a fateful afternoon in London. Andrea watched as she saw images of herself moving around the laboratory, switching several power cables with ones from a small black bag.

"Tell me, what did Reynolds' offer you?" Veronica asked as the footage continued to loop over time and time again. "You knew he was my competition for head of the department. Did he offer you a place at his side if you removed me from the picture?"

"Jardine, Mitchell -- shut her down now!" Andrea barked. Both men moved around to the front of the hyperbaric chamber. As they reached out towards it, there was a loud hissing sound from the machinery itself.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you gentlemen," Veronica warned them. Jardine reached out, his fingers just brushing the metal of the chamber. Explosive bolts erupted, jettisoning the exterior of the capsule at speed. One section of the metal casing tore through Jardine, removing his right arm and shoulder from his body. His body hits the floor as blood pours from the wound. The shattering glass peppered Mitchell's face -- with one particularly nasty shard entering his neck.

Stepping out of the chamber and into the recycled air of the hub, Veronica Goddard stretched her arms and looked over at Andrea, now backing away from her boss.

"As you see, I kept the full details of my progress a secret from everyone," Veronica stated as she took another step towards Andrea. "So now I guess it's just you and me."

"Veronica...I...I...look..." Andrea spluttered, realising that everything had gone wrong.

"Hold your tongue Andrea," Veronica gleefully replied, her voice dripping with venom. "Unless you want me to break it down into individual DNA strands?"

****

Mexico 3:42 am

The stillness of the air did nothing to suppress the adrenaline she felt flowing through her veins. As her small boat approached the large yacht from the rear, Eva braced herself for what was about to come. Cutting the engine she allowed the tide to slowly push her darkened boat towards the gleaming white vessel that sat low in the water.

She kept her profile within the boat low, hoping that -- if spotted -- her body suit would disguise her appearance enough that a casual onlooker would think that it was just another boat that had slipped its moorings and was drifting aimlessly around the bay.

Once she was close enough, she engaged a small electronic clamp that held the boat firmly to the fibreglass hull of the yacht. Carefully making her way onto the boat, Eva crouched down and looked around -- noticing that there appeared to be a figure standing at the rear of the boat.

Carefully edging her way along the deck -- and securing a small black bag she had bought with her -- Eva found that she could hear something like a tap running. The closer she got to the figure she realised that whoever it was had chosen to urinate over the edge of the boat, gripping the metal railing with one hand and aiming directly into the sea. Shaking her head at the lack of common courtesy, she paused as she reached striking distance. The sound of the zipper being pulled up was Eva's cue.

As the man turned around he saw a dark shape flying towards him. A gloved hand clamped across his mouth, preventing him from crying out, as another grabbed the lapel of his jacket. Powerful leg muscles propelled him backwards, slamming him into the metal railing with force. Eva saw his expression change at the moment of impact -- from one of surprise to a mixture of anger and shock as his body connected with the barrier.

Eva felt a small shockwave run through his torso as the force of the blow cracked something in his spine. She pulled her hand free from his mouth as his weight was transferred from his legs to her hand that was holding his jacket. The impact of the collision had definitely broken something in him, but Eva couldn't be sure if the momentary failure of his legs was due to shock or something more permanent.

In one fluid motion her free hand pulled back and she slammed her palm forward into his face. Blood erupted from his nose and he was clearly stumbling towards unconsciousness courtesy of her attack -- the force of the blow knocking his torso backwards enough for Eva to grab his legs and propel him over the edge and into the inky black sea.

If he survived her initial assault then he'd eventually succumb to the effects of fatigue in the cool ocean water. Looking back at the small crew cabin, she opened the bag she had bought with her. Screwing the silencer in place on the barrel of her pistol she took a moment to remove a small round metal canister and gripped it in her hand. If everything went according to plan, she wouldn't have to fire her pistol once.

Approaching the cabin door, Eva pressed a small button on the canister. Opening the door, the two men sitting inside looked up, obviously expecting their colleague. They both looked confused at the sight of the black body-suited woman standing in the doorway. Eva threw the canister inside and quickly closed the door.

Eva saw the small flash through the tiny windows and the sounds of two voices reacting in fear as the room quickly filled with gas. Eva counted in her head to ten and then heard two thudding sounds. She continued to count, knowing that after thirty seconds the lethal gas would become inert.

As she reached twenty-five she felt a hand powerfully grip her shoulder and pull her backwards. Hitting the floor hard, Eva heard her pistol spin across the deck.

"Might have known you'd be down here." She recognised the gruff voice immediately -- it was Dawson. "Pity, looks like you have to go as well. You, then the Auditor."

Eva spun her legs around as she saw Dawson pull a knife free from his belt. Managing to get onto her feet just as Dawson drove his boot down into the space where her head had been. Spinning on her back heel, Eva slammed her foot into the back of Dawson's head, only to find him grabbing her leg at the same time. He used the momentum of her attack against her, swinging her around through the air.

Eva collided with the edge of the cabin -- the blow driving the air from her lungs. The next sensation she felt was that of the deck of the boat rushing up to meet her. Stunned, Eva felt a hand grab her and lift her up -- and then a crushing sensation around her throat.

"You know, I always wondered if you were Reynolds' whore as well as his secretary." Dawson said as he held Eva in the air. She could see the knife poised in his right hand. Despite the fact she was already becoming light headed by the lack of oxygen she knew this was her chance.

Grabbing Dawson's wrist, Eva twisted it and dug her thumb into the soft tissue at the base of the palm. His reaction was exactly as she had hoped -- his fingers reflexively released their grip the knife. Her movements were a blur as she snatched the knife out of the air and slashed at his left wrist. Dawson's screams filled her ears as she hit the floor. Kicking out powerfully at his knee, she pulled the steel blade back.

"The correct term," She hissed. "Is Personal Assistant." She drove the knife up through his chin and into his skull. His body fell to the deck, twitching spasmodically. Pausing only to retrieve her pistol, Eva opened the cabin door. Now to retrieve the test subject, she thought.

****

UnitedFutures New York Office

8 hours later

"...As you can see from the projections, we estimate that a working adaptive nano-culture inspired cure to the common cold should be within our reach by the end of the current quarter." Lee Reynolds stood at the head of the table and addressed the senior members of the executive board. Today was going to be his day, he felt sure of it. And if today didn't work out in his favour, then he always had other irons in the fire. "Profit margins on this product alone will outstrip the company profits for the last year in their entirety."

"It certainly looks like a viable proposition," Edwards, the former head of Mergers and Acquisitions, added. "What's the potential for expansion of the technology to other areas?"

"Unfortunately, Dr Spiro hasn't arrived for work today -- I believe she's at home with a cold," Reynolds comment prompted several chuckles from the board members. "However I expect that she will be back in tomorrow, she would be better placed to explain the other applications for the technology. I can say that there are clear applications in other areas of the medical field and we envisage that there could be a military application for the product too..."

"Possibly in conjunction with the Orexin product that you've been field testing down in Mexico? Or is that after you sell a licensed UnitedFutures product to BioTech Industries and jump ship?" The question from the rear of the conference room rendered the room silent. Board members looked at the door -- where David Fenwick was standing.

"I'm sorry," Reynolds said. "But what are you talking about?"

"Members of the Board, my name is David Fenwick," Fenwick was followed into the room by Eva, who was carrying a familiar brushed steel briefcase in her hands. "I'm an auditor appointed by the Chief Financial Officer, Miss Rahjak, to investigate a substantial black hole in the budgetary documents submitted by Mr Reynolds division this year." At this point, Survinder Rahjak nodded, indicating that this was the case.

"I have proof that not only has Mr Reynolds been planning to steal a company product and hand it over to BioTech, but that he was implicitly involved in the attempted murder of a colleague on company premises, something which leaves the company open to a wrongful death lawsuit should the family of the victim choose to sue." Fenwick inserted a small USB stick into the projector. A slide show began automatically, flashing up detailed documents highlighting the evidence to support his statement.

"Is this right?" Meredith Evans, acting CEO of the company asked. Reynolds remained silent for a moment, his mind whirring into gear.

"These documents are fabrications designed to discredit me," he said, gesturing towards the images flashing up on the screen. "My service record with the company is exemplary, my loyalty beyond question."

"Then how do you explain this?" Fenwick pulled a piece of paper out of his jacket pocket and unfolded it. The same piece of paper that he had been given by Monica Braccia and -- in turn -- he had shown to Eva. As he placed it on the table for Reynolds and the board to see, he provided a commentary. "A contract between BioTech industries and yourself for delivery of the Orexin compound, complete with authenticated DNA signatures."

The room was silent for a moment -- then Reynolds exploded, grabbing Fenwick and pulling him in front of him as a human shield. At the same time, something glinted in the light of the boardroom in his left hand and a cold metal blade was pressed against Fenwick's throat. Several of the board members were out of their seats by this point.

"Very impressive deductive work Fenwick," Reynolds hissed. "Now, unless we want to have a nasty stain on the boardroom carpet, I suggest that every stays calm and does precisely what I ask." Reynolds looked directly at Eva -- who now had a compact pistol in her grip and was aiming directly for him. "Especially you."

"I want access to the roof and the helicopter prepped to leave." Reynolds continued as he backed up towards the door. Eva took a step towards Reynolds and Fenwick. "Stay there, otherwise I'll open up a vein."

"Mr Reynolds, this really isn't the way to conduct yourself in front of the board." Eva said, edging forward once more. "Now, if you'll put the knife down we can discuss this like adults." She tried her best to mimic the way that Fenwick had spoken to her a few nights ago, taking the opportunity to take a third step, this time slightly to her left.

"What?" Reynolds almost laughed. "I don't think you understand, I'm the one in the position of autho..." His statement was cut off by the sound of the gun in Eva's hand erupting. Reynolds' head snapped backwards, followed by his body a moment later. As he hit the floor, Fenwick looked at him, then at Eva.

"Good shot." He complemented her.

"I told you he wouldn't resign." Eva replied.

****

Battery Park Tuesday morning

"So, where's Andrea?" Fenwick said as he appraised the figure sitting on the bench in Battery Park. Veronica looked up at him and smiled.

"Oh, she's around here somewhere," Veronica replied as she sat on the bench, basking in the morning sunlight. It suddenly struck Fenwick what was different about her since he last saw her -- she now had a blue coloured left eye.

"I take you found a...willing donor?" He asked, gesturing to her replacement eye. Veronica's expression reminded Fenwick of a cat toying with a mouse.

"You might say that." She bought her hand up and stroked the skin of her bald head. "I'm thinking of keeping the bald head look -- I've gotten used to it over the last year."

"It suits you. So, I'm curious; how do you intend to explain your Lazarus-like return from the dead?

"You'd be surprised what modern science is capable of achieving Mr Fenwick." Veronica quipped. Fenwick's mouth creased into a smile. "How did you know that Andrea was trying to get my..." Veronica chose her words carefully. "Project...decommissioned."

"I didn't to begin with." Fenwick replied, noting that she had now removed a pair of dark sunglasses from a case and wiped them with a cloth before securing them in place, covering her eyes. "I made an educated guess as to who had access to your private server -- Andrea was the only person other than me, so she was the logical choice in that respect. After I saw the security camera footage from London, coupled with Reynolds running a field test of Orexin down in Mexico, everything fell into place. I imagine that with you out of the way she would be able to present your work as hers without fear of anyone accusing her of plagiarism."

"Well, thank you." Veronica replied.

"You don't need to thank me," Fenwick replied. "The position of Chief Financial Officer is going to become vacant in a few weeks time. I intend to apply for it and a recommendation from someone such as you as the head of the Research and Analysis Division will go a long way to securing my nomination as the most suitable candidate for the role."

"Interesting," Veronica smiled; realising Fenwick's angle had been there to see from the first day he had met her as she was encased in her hyperbaric chamber. "So, what's in it for me?"

"The position would afford me the opportunity to provide you with access to the financial resources your projects require, plus protection from the Oversight Committee," Fenwick said, noting Veronica's wry smile. "I've seen some of the things you were working on before you were cooped up in that chamber -- all of them could be financially beneficial to the company with the right support and backing from someone who understands your work." Veronica nodded as her mind started to spin out ideas.

"Of course, you realise that the post of Chief Financial Officer is one that has an extremely high turnover rate."

"Indeed," Fenwick agreed. "Which is why I would need Eva as my assistant. Her credentials are second to none in the company."

"Naturally," Veronica added before extending her hand. Fenwick shook it. "I think I'm going to look forward to working with you for a very long time Mr Fenwick."

12