Upgrades

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,793 Followers

So why would a man like that do what he did to her and do it with one of her closest friends? Former friend, that is. It made absolutely no sense to Rachel. She was objectively more attractive than her friend, and she gave herself completely to a man once she committed to a relationship. So what in the good Lord's name would cause him to betray her like that? And had a mutual friend not told Rachel she couldn't stand going one more day without telling her what she knew had been going on for weeks, she still might not have known.

As bad as the breakup hurt her, it had really been hard on Rain, who was much too young to understand such things. All she knew was she missed Mark. She missed his smiles, his laughter, the bedtime stories, and he'd even had a tea party with her once. Rachel laughed when she thought of him sitting there with a little tiara on his head and her purple robe draped over his shoulders as he sipped tea with her daughter.

"Asshole!" she said quietly to herself before attending to the next customer who walked in.

That Sunday evening, Rodgers' mom gave him almost an hour off before starting in. "So...did you meet anyone interesting this week?" she asked.

"Can't we have just one Sunday dinner in peace?"

"This is peaceful," she insisted. "And I'm only asking. Can't a mother take an interest in her son's life?"

Rodgers sighed and told her, "I did meet a very attractive woman yesterday morning."

His mother sat up and her mood brightened immediately. "Oh? And who is this...very attractive woman? Is she also a doctor or maybe a nurse?"

Like Rodgers, his father had also been a doctor and his mother assumed her son would marry a fellow doctor or at least a professional woman who as maybe a lawyer or at least say...an architect. It was never directly put that way, it was just understood to be the case.

"Just someone I randomly met while running errands."

"Oh, so...did you recognize her from work or some conference?" she asked starting to dig in the way she always did.

"No, nothing like that. She works for the cable company." Before Rodgers could finish telling the story, his mother's countenance changed completely.

"I see," was all she said. "Well, take heart. That was a kind of reminder or maybe even a sign to let you know there are plenty of beautiful women out there who are ready to be the wife of a handsome, successful, young doctor. It's just a matter of time, right?"

Rodgers smiled weakly and changed the subject, hoping the topic of dating wouldn't rear its ugly head again for at least another week. They managed to make it through the rest of the evening and Rodgers was very relieved.

The first Wednesday of every month was poker night. Poker was Rodgers' only vice. He didn't smoke, drink more than socially, he exercised regularly and ate well. Poker, and specifically Texas Hold 'Em, was an enjoyable pastime he'd picked up in college and he was now quite good at it, as his four best friends knew all too well.

As friends go, his best friend for many years was Bobby Garner. While Phillip was open with his other three friends, there was virtually nothing he and Bobby didn't share. Around midnight, with Rodgers up $200 at the expense of his friends, everyone but Bobby went home. The two of them spent a few minutes alone catching up after the other guys left.

"So why didn't you ask her out?"

"I don't know," he told his friend truthfully.

"Is it her job? I mean, I know you love kids, so what else could it be?" Bobby said.

"Timing maybe?" Rodgers offered knowing that was weak. "Okay, maybe what she does does concern me. A little."

"I guess I get that, Phil. I just made junior partner—finally—and I'm a little concerned about who I'll end up marrying. I don't think it's elitist to at least think about things like a woman's education or what she does although who she is seems a whole lot more important. But yeah, I get that."

"Yeah, I'm with you on that. After dating all these women who are doctors, RNs, lawyers—thank you very much." His most recent girlfriend had been an attorney and someone who came highly recommended by one one Robert Garner.

"Sorry, man. I had no idea. I'm still reelin' from that one."

"You? You're reeling? Hah. Get...real," Rodgers told him. "You're not the one who walked in on her getting boned by some other guy."

"No, but if she'd told me I could bring other chicks home to boink, and that she'd join in, I don't know, man."

"Dick," Rodgers said.

"No, it's still Robert," Garner said doing the kind of thing they'd done for as long as he could remember. "Okay, fine. That one's on me. Still, I really can't believe you'd turn down an offer like that."

"Asswipe."

Bobby took that one, knowing he deserved it or at least partially so.

"You said she's got a cute kid, too, right? Why don't you at least ask her out? I mean, what if it turns out she's got a BA or maybe working on one? Even if she doesn't, what if she has all the right values and attitudes when it comes to marriage and um...you know, being faithful."

"Watch it, buddy," Rodgers playfully threatened. "Tread lightly. That scab is still healing."

"I'm not picking at it," Bobby told him. "I just don't think you should pass up an opportunity. What if she's...the one?"

"The one? Don't tell me you believe in that crap. There isn't any one person we're 'meant' to be with. There's just a range of women with which we could be compatible; with whom we can choose to spend our lives and make it work with the key word there being work. If someone's not willing to work at marriage, then there's no use trying, no matter what her credentials look like. Look, we're human beings. We have all these conflicting wants and needs and desires. I understand 'straying.' It's probably even the natural thing to do. Monogamy is hard. It takes real commitment and dedication. But I'm ready to commit. If I could find someone—and I don't mean the one because she doesn't exist—I'd gladly settle down for life. I do like kids so that's not an issue. Honestly? I'm not sure why I didn't ask her out."

"Yeah. Well it's too late now, of course. If only it was humanly possible to find that cable store and track her down, right? Oh, well, the space-time continuum has transported her to a new galaxy, so that...starship...has sailed."

"Dickwad," Rodgers said again. "You want another beer...Dickwad?"

"That's Richard Wad to you, and no thanks. It's almost 1am and I've gotta be in court by ten so I'm bailin'."

"Yeah, good idea. I can still get by on six hours of sleep, but I'm a little groggy the next morning now. I'd say we're gettin' old, but at 32 that's probably a stretch."

"Well, we ain't gettin' no younger, doc," Bobby said as he shook his best friend's hand.

"True statement, counsellor," he replied.

"Go find her, man. Ask her out. What's the worst that could happen? You spend on a few bucks on a nice meal and that's that. But who knows, right?"

Rodgers watched his friend open the front door then said, "Maybe you're right. Nothing ventured and all that, right?"

"There you go. Now you're thinking!" Bobby said before saying goodnight and heading out to his car.

"Outside the box?" Rodgers replied to himself as he watched Bobby head out.

He didn't give much thought to asking Rachel out the rest of the week as he was slammed at work all day long. In addition to his regular patient load, he was trying to fit in as many beginning-of-the-school-year physicals as he could. From high schoolers wanting to play football to little tykes just starting Kindergarten, the clinic was on overload. Rodgers owned the clinic along with another doctor, and the two physicians had hired a physician's assistant or PA to help out with the case load. Even so, none of them even had time for lunch the entire week.

It was Friday morning and the schedule was jam packed again. At 9:15, Rodgers' nurse told him he had yet another physical to do and as always, made sure the paperwork was filled out and ready for his signature to minimize the time he'd spend with each child. They paid a flat fee of $25 for the physical rather than the normal $75 office-fee visit covered by most insurance companies so it wasn't cost-effective to spend time with them. Get them in and out and move on.

Rodgers grabbed the chart, flipped through it quickly noting the name was Randi Powers, then knocked on the door, and walked in. He saw a very sweet little girl sitting on his table and although he couldn't recognize her, she somehow looked familiar.

"Hello there, young lady. I see you're starting school next week. Are you excited?"

"I'm this many," she said holding up four fingers.

Rodgers chuckled then quickly glanced at her mother who was sitting in the chair next to the table. Rodgers did an immediate double take then said, "Oh, my goodness! What a pleasant surprise!" he said extending his hand to her.

"Talk about a surprise!" Rachel said as she shook his hand. "I had no idea you were a doctor."

Rodgers smiled and said, "Oh, right. I forgot to wear my lab coat and stethoscope when I brought in the old boxes. Next time I'll try and remember to avoid any confusion." He was so captivated by her eyes and her smile, he forgot all about the reason he was there.

"I'm gonna be in Pre-K," the little girl said. "And next year I'll go to Kinnygarden."

Rodgers broke out of the fog and looked back at his patient. "Wow! Pre-K? You are SO big! Did you drive the car here today?" he asked being overly serious to the point it made her laugh.

"No! That's silly. I can't drive because I can't reach the pedals."

"Oh, okay. But I thought you were big," he said looking back at Rachel.

"I am big. I'm four years old and next year I'll be five."

"I see. Okay, so..." He looked at the chart for her name. "Miss...Randi..."

Before he could finish, Rachel said, "She likes to be called Rain." Rodgers looked at her and she said, "Don't ask. Just go with it."

"All right. This is the Pacific Northwest so..." he said looking at Rain. "Can I look in your ear just to make sure there's no carrot patch growing in there, Miss Rain?"

Rain giggled and said, "Carrots can't grow in your head!"

"Oh, I don't know about that," Dr. Rodgers replied. "I've seen stuff in kids' ears that sure look like carrots."

"Not mine!" Rain said proudly. "My mommy uses a Q-Tip every night when I take my bath."

He checked both ears and said, "Hmmm. You were right. No carrots."

"See, I told you!" she announced.

"Now let me take a look in your throat real quick. I'm gonna hold your tongue down with this doodad and..."

"What's a doodad?" she asked.

"Well, it's like a thingamajig or a doomaflitchy. Some people say doodads are more like gizmos, but I don't agree."

Rain giggled and said, "You're funny!"

Rodgers stood up straight, put his hands on his hips and again said very seriously, "Hey! Did you just say I'm funny looking?" He made a silly face and got Rain to laugh loudly. "Cuz I'm not funny looking. Silly maybe. Possibly even goofy, but I am not funny-looking, okay?"

"You're silly!" she said pointing at him.

He smiled at Rachel who was very much enjoying the interchange then said, "Fine. I look silly. Just don't say I look funny, okay?"

Right on cue, Rain said, "You look funny!" then started laughing again.

"Okay. Fine! I'm funny looking. Now, may I please look at your throat?" Everything was clear there, too. It was time for Rodgers to give her the bad news.

"Remember you telling me you're big?" he asked looking right at her.

"Yes, 'cuz I am," she said matter of factly.

"I hope so, because we have to take care of something that's going to require you to be a very big girl."

Rain stopped smiling then asked very quietly, "Do I have to get a shot?"

"I'm afraid so," he said. Rachel immediately got up and put her arm around her daughter who began to cry. She buried her head in her mother's chest and sobbed.

"I don't...want...a...shot, mommy!" she said sucking in air and trying to talk.

"I know, baby," she said. "It'll be over in a second, okay? Then we'll go get some ice cream. How's that?"

Rodgers had the needle ready to go and rubbed alcohol on her arm. "Do you have a favorite song?" he asked.

Rain nodded as snot ran down her lip and tears down her cheeks. "Okay, how about you and your mom sing it for me?"

Rachel sang, "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine... Can you sing with Mommy?"

Rain nodded and tried to sing, her little voice quivering with fear. "You are my shu-shine, my only shu-shine..."

Rodgers pinched the skin on her arm, pierced it, then depressed the syringe.

"All done!" he said.

Rain immediately stopped crying and said, "That didn't even hurt!" She smiled through her tears and said, "Mommy's taking me for ice cream now! You wanna come with us?"

"Honey, the doctor can't come with us. He has lots of other children and grown ups to take care of."

"Oh, okay. How about next time? Can he come then?" she asked innocently.

"I don't know about that, sweetie," Rachel said as she looked at the handsome doctor.

"This is absolutely the wrong time and place to ask, but I was going to drop by the store tomorrow anyway so..."

Rachel had felt a kind of tingling since seeing him when he walked him. Now, as he looked at her while she was picking up her daughter, the feeling intensified.

"I really enjoyed meeting you...at the store...and I wanted to see if perhaps we could possibly get to know one another a little better. I was wondering if you might like to maybe go out sometime." He looked at Rain then said, "Even if it was just for ice cream."

"Ice cream! I love ice cream!" Rain said her tears drying on her pretty little face.

"Well, I am off tomorrow. I could probably get my daughter to hold off a day if you'd care to join us." She looked at her daughter and asked if that would be okay.

"Yes. I can wait for one whole day 'cuz I'm big!"

"Okay, then...it's a...date?" he said smiling first at Rain and then at Rachel.

"There's a 31 Flavors next to the cable store. That's where we always go for ice cream," Rachel offered.

"That sounds perfect. What time works for you so ice cream doesn't ruin lunch or dinner for a very big girl?"

"How about 7 o'clock? We'll be finished with dinner and this can be both dessert and a reward for being so brave. But she goes to bed at 8:30 so we can't be gone too long."

"In and out ice cream sounds great! I'll look forward to it," he told them both.

"Oh," he said as he leaned toward Rain. "What's your favorite flavor?"

"Choc-o-lot!" she said loudly.

He got very close then said, "What's your mommy's favorite flavor? This is a secret, so can you whisper it in my ear?"

Rain put her mouth right next to his ear then cupped it with her hands. Much too loudly she said, "Mint chock-lut chip," which Rachel heard causing her to laugh.

"Come on, sweetie pie. The doctor's very busy, and we need to get going. Can you tell him thank you and goodbye?"

"Thank you, funny doctor and goodbye!" she said.

Rodgers pretending to very angry and said, "Rrrrr. Why...YOU!!" He reached over and tickled her side and Rain shrieked with laughter.

"Stop! I'm too ticklish!"

The nurse was standing at the door when he opened it. "Is everything okay?" she asked looking at everyone then realizing it was just laughter.

"Everything is...perfect," Dr. Rodgers said when Rachel smiled at him again.

"Just follow me, please and we'll get you checked out," the nurse said.

"I've got this one," Dr. Rodgers told her. She looked at him then at Rachel and immediately understood.

"Oh, okay. I'll um...get your next patient ready for you then."

As they walked to the front, Rodgers said, "Would it be too much to possibly see if I might be able to get you...the two of you...to have dinner with me before we have ice cream?"

"Oh, I don't know about that," she said. "Maybe we should just..."

"Can we go to Scupway?" Rain asked excitedly.

"It's pronounced, Sub-way, honey, and..."

"I love Scupway," Rodgers said ignoring Rachel's correction. "I get their flatbread with turkey every time now." He got close to Rain and said, "It's yummy for my tummy."

She giggled again and reminded him, "You're funny!"

"So...Subway and then 31 Flavors?" he asked still looking hopeful.

"You're a very devious man, Mr...Doctor Rodgers," Rachel said trying to be mad at him for undercutting her in front of her daughter.

"But I'll never hurt you," he said not sure why he did.

"Hmmm. A part of me is screaming, 'Run, girl, run!' while the rest of me is saying, 'This is a man you can trust'."

"Which one are you going to listen to?" he asked his eyebrows raised in hope.

"For now, I guess I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But I've got my eye on you, Doctor," she said still unable to keep from smiling at him.

"I like the sound of that," he told her. "That makes me very happy. " As they arrived at the front desk. "So could I possibly pick you up at six?"

She sighed as though he was really putting her out then gave him her address. "Don't be late," she warned pretending to be stern.

"Me, late? Never. No way. Six o'clock sharp," he said tapping his watch.

Finally, Rachel softened her look and said, "Thank you so much for taking care of my little girl. She usually screams bloody murder when she hears the word 'shot'."

Rodgers smiled back and said sincerely, "My pleasure. She's a very sweet little girl."

"I'm not little!" Rain said making them both laugh. "I told you, I'm big."

Rodgers smiled at her then said to Rachel, "See you tomorrow?"

"I'm looking forward to it, too," Rachel admitted, still feeling that 'tingle' she'd felt since she saw him walk into the exam room.

It was the weekend before Labor Day and so far, the beautiful summer was holding. Rodgers knew it could turn on a time any day now. Perhaps they'd get lucky like they did ever few years and have an Indian summer that kept the sun around for another couple of weeks.

He arrived five minutes early and sat in his car until one minute to six before walking up and knocking on her door the very second his watch (synched with the Official U.S. Time Clock) hit 6pm.

Rodgers heard a familiar small voice holler, "I'll get it!" Seconds later the door opened and there was Rain smiling up at him. "You look funny!" she said immediately.

Rodgers saw her mother walking toward them but ignored her. "Funny looking, huh? Oh, yeah?" he said as he picked her up and spun her around three times very fast.

Rain was laughing so hard it made the grown-ups laugh, too. When he set her down he told Rachel, "My hope was to get her dizzy enough that she wouldn't notice how funny I look."

"Is it working?" Rachel asked.

Rain was still giggling so Rodgers said, "Well, at least she can't tell me I look funny for a few seconds."

Rodgers finally look an actual look at Rachel and said, "Wow. If this is how you look for Scupway and ice cream, I can't wait to see how you look for dinner at a nicer place." He turned to Rain who'd finally calmed down and said, "Not that Scupway isn't a nice place."

Rachel was wearing a pink knit top and a pair of white shorts with sandals and small, white, hoop earrings. She was wearing a modest amount of makeup—possibly some sheer foundation, a touch of mascara, and just a trace of blusher. What was so stunning was the way her hair looked like something out of an advertisement for Pantene Pro V.

"Thank you," she told him. "You like very nice yourself."

Rodgers was wearing a dark blue, three-button Henley and a pair of khaki shorts with a pair of topsiders and no socks.

"Oh, thanks," he told her. "Are you ready?"

Rain sat quietly in her car seat which they'd moved to Rodgers' car for the ride. "Have you met Rain's teacher yet?" he asked to break the ice.

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,793 Followers