Valentines Remembrance

Story Info
30 years later, he returns to his childhood sweetheart.
2.4k words
4.64
16.3k
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
windwriter
windwriter
262 Followers

After a long day at work I was finally on my way home. During my commute, the radio stations were all talking about the fact that today is Valentines Day. They had a dedication line set up for callers to phone in requests for the ones they love. With cruise control set, half listening and half in thought, I snapped out of my sedentary pose at the radio announcer's words. "This request goes out to Anna, who works a ATT in Bedford."

The request was for me! I hurried to turn it up and listen to hear whom it was from.

"Anna, if you are listening, this song goes out to you from an anonymous admirer. Enjoy your Valentines request titled 'Anna', by Bad Company." He continued, "Wow, this request had me dusting off some oldies, but oh so goodies. Happy Valentines Anna, if you are listening."

I have always loved this song. It was popular years ago when I was in school, but who could know it was one of my favorite songs; who would request this for me I wondered. Singing along I felt my heart melting.

--------

I got a sweet little angel and I love her so

She's there when I need her, she understands when I say go...

Living with her unfolds me, she gives me strength to carry on

I don't need anyone else...

Anna, oh Anna

---------

I have always dreamed of someone dedicating this song to me, but now that someone has, I don't have a clue who it is. The words have always fit me to a tee, I am a soft-spoken woman who allows others their space and time, just as the lyrics says. I continued singing and humming along with the music.

---------

And I know if she left me, my world would turn cold

She's the best little lady...

When I'm down, she knows what to say

She clears my blindness away

And in night..., she says "Hold me", it makes me feel... strong

I don't need nobody else

If I did I ...be fooling myself

Anna, Anna

----------

I wished with every fiber of my body that I knew who requested the song for me. I kept singing and wondering.

----------

I found me a simple woman...

A simple woman

I... found me a simple woman... yeah

A simple woman for a simple man

...a simple woman,

A simple woman, oh... yeah

----------

When the song ended I was in tears from the beauty of the words and knowing someone felt this way about me. I rounded the corner into my apartment complex, parked my car and went inside. Dropping my keys and purse on the countertop, I noticed the answering machine blinking. When I pushed the button the cryptic message gave me a hint to my secret admirer. A soft muffled voice said, "Happy Valentines Day Anna. Meet me at the bridge in the park at 7:00pm."

A click signaled that the message was done. I listened a couple times to see if I could discern whom the voice belonged to, to no avail. I picked up the phone to check the caller id; it was a private call. I knew I should be scared but I wasn't. Anyone who dedicated this particular song to me could never harm me; I felt it in my heart. After I freshened up and changed into some comfortable jeans and a sweater I drove to the park. There were no other cars there, so I waited. Finally, another car pulled into the park a fair distance away from me. A man got out and walked to the bridge. From my distance I was not able to see him.

I left my car with my heart racing and my palms sweating, wondering at the slight nagging feeling in my stomach. I approached the bridge, intrepid but stepped onto the wooden planking and began walking toward my would-be suitor. He turned toward me when he heard my footsteps but the dark of night hid his features from me. The closer I got the more intrepid I felt. I hesitated and wondered if I should turn around and run. He noticed my hesitancy and spoke toward my direction. "Thank you for coming Anna."

I stopped walking about 40 feet from where he stood. "Do I know you?" I asked quietly.

He walked toward me, narrowing the distance I had left between us. I could not move. When he got closer he looked familiar to me, but I could not put a name with his face. His six-foot frame towered over me. Slightly graying temples and strong features stood before me, with steely blue eyes piercing into my very soul. "Has it been that long Anna?" he spoke softly with a deep vibrato. His hand reached to touch my hair on the side of my head. "You still have beautiful hair after all these years."

Words escaped me. I stood and looked at him trying to place him. Obviously it was someone I knew a long time ago, but I did not have a clue of his name. He seemed to revel in my slight discomfort, by the tilted grin on his mouth. I felt embarrassed, "I am very sorry, but I do not know who you are."

He pulled his hand away from my hair, "Do you remember going to the Homecoming Dance in Junior High, back in '75?"

I thought back to that time. "Barely. Gosh, that was a long time ago."

"Yes, it was but that dance has been etched in my mind for years, Anna." He smiled as he spoke. "I remember the powder blue dress you wore that night."

It felt odd to have this man recount an event from my past, not knowing who he was. I finally asked him outright. "Who are you?"

"Andrew Johnson." He said in a firm voice.

"Andy Johnson?" I repeated with surprise. "Little Andy?"

"Yes," he laughed.

"Wow, you have grown." I offered with a smile. "How? Why?" I paused.

"Yes, I am a man now Anna." His steely blue eyes gazed at me. "I was 'little Andy', the nerdy short kid with glasses, braces, zips and not too many friends."

I recalled the dance, and Andy being there. "You asked me to dance that night."

"And you accepted Anna. I have never forgot that night." His expression softened. "After my family moved away the following year, I thought of you many times; then the years just got away from me."

"So, how did you come to be here with me now... and why?"

"I came back to town for business. I drove by the old school and that memory flooded to the forefront of my mind. I ran into a few others that we went to school with, but as you may have guessed, no one recognized me."

"I can understand why, you have changed remarkably Andy." I reminded him.

He continued, "Sometimes we go through life and we don't take the time to thank people who have made a difference in our lives. I decided to look you up to tell you how special you made a geeky nerd feel at that Homecoming dance, years ago."

I felt giddy, humbled and happy. "Thank you Andy."

"You're welcome Anna. Are you busy or can we go have a drink together?" he asked with the same hesitant look he had 30 years ago.

I smiled up at him. "Of course Andy, I would enjoy that very much."

We walked back to our cars, "I will meet you uptown at Charlie's."

I got in my car and drove to Charlie's, marveling at this blast from the past and how little Andy Johnson has grown and changed into a strikingly handsome man. He followed me and parked beside my car in the parking lot. Before I could get out he was at my door, opening it for me.

"Thank you Andrew." I said as I got out. "Gosh I can't get over how tall you are now and... and how handsome you are."

He smiled a soft smile, "You are just as beautiful as you were years ago Anna, and just as sweet too."

We walked into the bar and found a seat. Our conversation ranged from remembering the dance to what we were both doing in the present. I felt comfortable speaking with him. It was refreshing to be with someone who had known me for so long. "Are you married Andrew?" I asked with curiosity.

"I was, not anymore." He spoke in a flat tone.

"Same here." I responded.

"I know." He said under veiled eyes, without looking directly at me.

"How did you know?" I quizzed him.

"It's a small town Anna. When I decided to look you up I asked around because I didn't want to approach you if you were married."

"That makes sense, I suppose." Our conversation lingered there for a moment.

I watched him begin to fidget in his seat. When he excused himself to the restroom I sat and smiled to myself at the wonderful turn of events this evening. To know I had made a difference to someone years ago, felt wonderful. To see what a fine man he has grown into had me feeling giddy inside. He returned and sat across from me again, "Charlie's is pretty busy for a Friday night."

"Yeah, same old place, same old people." I laughed, "They all got paid today."

He laughed, "Yep, I remember those days. Do you go out much?"

I answered with knowledge that I had never met anyone worthwhile in that environment. "No, not really. I don't get into the bar scene."

"I know what you mean, but it makes it hard to get to meet other single people." His voice trailed off. "Would you like to go out with me Anna, on a date?"

"It hardly seems like I should start saying no to you at this point?" I answered with a soft smile.

"Great," he smiled while he let go of a relieved sigh. "Tomorrow night?"

"Oh my, you don't waste any time do you?" I chided him.

He looked at me seriously. "I have wasted thirty years Anna."

"Do you think maybe what you felt so long ago was puppy love Andrew?" I asked him cautiously.

"Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. All I know is that the image and feeling of you dancing with me has haunted me for years."

I began to wonder if Andrew was having a fatal attraction. "It was just a dance Andrew."

He paused a moment, and considered how I was feeling at his admission, "I don't mean to scare you Anna, I'm sorry."

I hesitated then answered him, "I am not scared Andrew, but I am afraid you have built me up into such a sensational person. I don't know if I can live up to that image."

He reached for my hand and pulled me to my feet. "Come on, let's go. I want to take you somewhere."

I did not resist him; I waited for him to help me with my jacket and followed him to the car. He opened the passenger side door to his car for me. I got in without comment. He drove us to the notorious 'look out point' where all the high school kids used to go make out. After parking the car and turning it off we sat and looked down the mountain to the lights of our small hometown. He reached in the glove box and retrieved a CD case and placed a CD in the player. The song I heard on the radio began playing when he asked, "Would you do me the honor of dancing with me again Anna?"

"Here?" I asked while I sat in the passenger side seat.

"No silly. We will get out and dance in the moonlight." He chuckled.

"In that case, yes I would love to dance Andrew."

He strode from the driver side to the passenger side, opening my door. Taking my hand he assisted me from the car, leaving the door open to hear the music. We stood together in the moonlight, hesitant like teenagers, waiting to dance. His arms went around me and enveloped me in warmth. I reached to wrap my arms around his neck and swayed to the music with him.

My favorite song allowed me to embrace this moment more than any other could have. The knowledge that Andrew had carried a torch for me for so many years enchanted our dance. I laid my head on his chest and felt his warmth in the crisp February air. When the song ended he raised his hands and placed them on each side of my head, pulling my face up to look in his eyes. I knew what was coming; I felt the strength and passion that emanated from his steely blue eyes. I felt his lips touch mine. It was a soft kiss, non-demanding. The remaining image of the geeky boy I knew in junior high vanished; it was replaced with the handsome man kissing my lips. A strong upper body leaned into me, pushed me gently back against the car. Panting and breathless our kiss accelerated.

He pulled back from our kiss and looked down into my eyes, "God Anna, you have no idea how many years I have wanted to do this." His lips lowered again and our kiss resumed, heated passionate and hungry. I felt like I was under his spell and I didn't care one iota. His tongue pressed at my lips and parted them to delve into my mouth. My hair was a mess from his hands digging and gripping it in our wild abandon. Leaning against the car, he pressed against my body holding me there.

"Andrew," I whimpered as he kissed me.

He pulled back and looked at me, "What Anna?" he asked seriously with passion still smoldering in his eyes.

I grabbed his head and pulled face close to mine. "I'm glad you came for me."

"I haven't yet, but if you keep kissing me like this I'm going to," he said with a sly grin.

We laughed together, standing in our moonlight embrace. It was the beginning of a wonderful romance that is celebrated every year on Valentines Day, dancing to our favorite song, at look out point.

windwriter
windwriter
262 Followers