Valley of Sinners Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tremain's undisclosed goal, according to what Hope told Austin, was to be the biggest individual grape-grower in West Auckland. As he developed 'his' land, he proposed buying out smaller suppliers. He realized the key to his ambition was to control the valley's wine production facility, so approached the Bronkovic brothers as operators, who refused to discuss such business with him, saying he should consult the Honeybuns.

Hope was in Australia at the time so Cedric listened to proposal and said such a proposal was impracticable because his daughter Hope who owned the land on where the winery was being developed and currently owned eight-five percent of the winery.

At that disclosure Tremain lost his temper and said he didn't want to be involved with what he called 'a spoilt brat like Cedric's daughter.' Well then, said Cedric, he had no wish of being involved in business with someone who bad-mouthed Hope. That concluded the discussion and he made it clear there was no likelihood of talks between them ever been resumed.

Tremain, his face dark and his jaw tight, said he'd build his own winery and take suppliers away from the Te Henui Winery, unaware that the Bronkovic brothers had growers tied in to very amicable supply contracts. Tremain boasted he'd show Cedric what big money could really do and within the decade he'd dominate wine-making in the valley and local growers would not renew with the Te Henui winery when contacts expired because they would want to associate with the far superior Hausman Winery which he would have built.

As the supply of grapes throughout the valley increased, the Bronkovic brothers stepped up their involvement at their juice extraction operation, the source of finance for which was substantially from Cedric and Hope. The youngest brother Marko went off to Adelaide to complete a diploma in oenology on the advice of a marketing consultant, who argued that today marketing was all about quality, prestige, technical excellence and acquired reputation. None of the Bronkovic brothers wished to 'go back to school' but as the idea of buying in an academically qualified winemaker long term did not appeal, the two older brothers decided Marko, then aged twenty-two and who had attended university for almost a year before quitting, was the best choice.

As the winery occupied only a tiny portion of the lot leased by the Bronkovic brothers, -- Hope leased back the remainder and had it developed into forestry.

A real community spirit began generating in the valley as more and more families arrived to become involved in growing and tending the vines or underpinning the expanding service industry based at the village. Although valley life continued at a fairly even tempo, the inevitable ups and downs occurred. A series crisis -- initially kept secret from the wider community ¬-- erupted when Ana, wife of the second-oldest Bronkovic brothers, who had been thought to be barren, became pregnant. Under duress she pointed at Cedric as being the boy's father.

There was a great to-do but Hope emerged strong, with Natasa's support, and negotiated a settlement involving the infant's future welfare just as Ana and her son Anton were about to be cast out of the family. It was agreed that a six acre block of Cedric's land opposite the winery would pass into the ownership of Anton, when he turned twenty-five.

Hope also suggested that her father be banned from the winery, and her partnership with her father be dissolved and she would take over the partnership loans to the Bronkovic brothers. After long discussion the brothers returned to the negotiating table to face Hope and Natasa, who was sitting with Hope to keep the exhausted young woman awake.

The brothers agreed to accept the package as offered with the proviso that Cedric hand back Natasa's painting that Hope had purchased a year earlier for his birthday. There was a pregnant pause and Hope rose to her feet, re-energized. She smiled and then proceeded to give the brothers a tongue-lashing for being arrogant, macho males -- no, the painting would not be handed back, it was now a Honeybun family painting. Then she applied a new condition after being told something during the earlier break in negations. The condition was unless mother and child were free to remain within the Bronkovic's extended family; there would be no final agreement.

Out went the brothers again, this time taking their mother with them. Finally the four of them stood in the doorway. Natasa, as spokesperson, looked at the exhausted Hope and said solemnly, "Agreed. We are no longer in dispute."

As agreed, the husband took back his wayward wife after Natasa slapped him and said he had been the problem over conception, and this son -- her second eldest -- looked at his wife and fell head over heels in love with her again. Drago did not, however, regard the son as his own.

Word swept through the valley that there had been a major confrontation between the Bronkovic's and the Honeybuns and the brothers were hailed by valley vineyard workers and winery staff and growers for standing up to the Honeybuns. Although the brothers basked in this adulation, their respect for Hope Honeybun had increased enormously.

Although news about the illegitimate son leaked out and of Cedric's regular 'ladies' abandoned him, other women took their places eager to be associated with this ageing man with a growing regulation for his virility. Rumors spread about another 'out of wedlock' offspring.

Resolving that initial confrontation left Hope with an increased burden of debt although potentially so did her wealth, at least on paper. Soon after, the community began to acknowledge Hope. As she drove into the village people tended to stand aside, waving her ahead to be served next. She was invited to become patron of the district horticultural society, which she accepted, so then the golf club invited her to become co-patron, which she accepted, although never having hit a golf ball in her life until then.

Life continued being good to her and two years later a deputation called on her, inviting Hope to stand for a vacancy on the county council, but she declined, saying it was just not her thing to sit through meeting after meeting. So the president of the village Retail and Professional Association resigned and Hope was invited to stand, unopposed, for election as the 1983 president, and she was elected and continued holding that post for the next eight years. Before long the young mother of three was acknowledged as the district's leading woman, and the reference to Hope as being 'unofficial mayor' began to stick.

Another of Cedric's indiscretions later surfaced, with Hope once again arranging for the transfer of a six acre block of prime vineyard land being transferred to the illegitimate child at the age of twenty five. This child was Eloise, the daughter of Brigitte, wife of Chaney Moreau who the Bronkovic brothers brought in from France to be winemaker for the first three vintages at Te Henui Winery. When it was time for Marko to takeover, Chaney moved out and later returned to become chief winemaker at the new Hausman winery.

The end for Cedric came after he was diagnosed as having incurable cancer and was dead not quite three years later, aged 72. Hope was the sole beneficiary and understandable for quite some time suitors began to call, so two German Shepherd dogs joined the ageing Montgomery 1V and his pup, the present Montgomery V behind the now locked steel gate at the cattle stop.

"Well, that's the story," Hope yawned, rising from her chair. "I'll fetch a cool drink and some fruit, and then I'll tell you about Rupert."

"Rupert -- you have a brother?"

"No, silly; be patient and you'll find out."

Walking up to the kitchen, Hope thought about those pesky 'gentlemen callers' who had arrived to offer her romance. Not long after they faded from the scene Hope began her very convenient 'weekends away' as the guest of personable men who wanted only her body. As such men tended to be 'happily married' that explained the difference between them and suitors, a distinction that suited Hope just fine. It never occurred to her that she was underpinning a Honeybun tradition established by her beloved father. Of course she has no intention of relating this little secret of hers to Nash. Hope sighed; it was her secret and would remain so.

However, eventually, Hope would find that questions concerning her possibly sexual activity already occupied a niche in the mind of her contract writer. Nash planned to be discreet with that particular probe, deciding to question three people -- Alayna and her mother Maggie and Hope's youngest daughter Lisa. If they would not help then he'd have to cast around to try to find past or even current lovers, a quest he'd rather avoid. Perhaps the brothers at the winery could help him. The alternative was to ask Hope outright at the risk of getting his ears boxed and being run off the property.

To Be Continued...