Vampires and Lovers Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Pelaam
Pelaam
1,330 Followers

"Yes, Vincent," the Dryad nodded, earning a smile of approval from Seamus who stood beside him. He watched as the three Vampires morphed, teeth and claws descending, and he reached without conscious thought for the knives he carried at his back.

Between them, Vincent, Seamus and Wyl easily rolled the stone away. The stench of rotting flesh assailed them, Delfin giving a soft, distressed sound in response to the foul smell. He was grateful to his lover for the tight embrace and soft crooning assurances. He smiled into the aquamarine eyes he loved.

"I'm alright now," he assured. "It was just a shock."

"I'm sorry, Petal," Seamus said. "It seems that some kind of spell ensured even our senses of smell could not detect what was hidden behind the boulder. We're on the right track."

"I'm ready," Delfin said determinedly.

Seamus and Vincent went ahead, Delfin just behind them and Wyl last of all. They passed bones and dried corpses of small animals and then some larger ones as if whatever had killed them had progressed or grown in some indefinable and horrifying way. Seamus and Vincent examined the husks closely. They had been drained rather than eaten. They began to move forward again, their preternatural senses trying futilely to penetrate the suffocating darkness.

The passageway led not inwards, but downwards in a spiral. Then it began to move in a straight line. They remained silent not knowing how long it would take to reach their destination or what it would bring. Occasionally tree roots penetrated through the tunnel they traversed, reaching downwards like clawed and grasping fingers. The tunnel was clearly not a natural occurrence. The walls had been smoothed to create a passageway down inside the earth.

Wyl gave a slight shiver. Whatever vague chill he has sensed before had gained a little strength. Yet although he was certain they were headed towards it, it was still very weak. That was no reassurance to the young Vampire. Even if what he felt was faint, it did not follow that their unknown adversary was weak. It took something exceptionally dangerous to cause both a Lycan and Vampire to vanish without trace.

The stench had not abated, but Wyl was becoming successful at tuning it out. Husks of bodies were a constant as they walked and Wyl wondered just how long their adversary had been killing and what its ultimate aim was. Human remains joined those of animal bodies and the group now knew the fate of the students and teachers.

As light became visible in the darkness, the group moved with even greater caution. Noiselessly they headed toward the expanding pinprick of light. The four men stopped. Vincent and Seamus rose silently and eased forward to peer from the underside of the tunnel's roof to look inside the chamber that opened before them.

****

Smothered sounds of grief and distress greeted the sight of David and Gabriel. Each man hung limply, their upper bodies wrapped in vines which also seemed to be supporting them above the ground. Similar, finer vines were wrapped around their throats. Neither man was conscious; their bodies so still that it would be easy to think that life had already left them.

There was another body which hung next to them. One so wizened and withered that it was almost beyond belief it could still be alive, but the group's preternatural senses registered faint, if slightly erratic, life signs.

Wyl smothered the cry that rose unbidden in his throat and clasped the hand that Delfin pressed into his, squeezing gently to reassure the young Dryad. He cast desperate eyes at Vincent who indicated they should wait a few seconds more. He gazed at the cavern before them.

It was as created as the tunnel. There were trestle tables with various kinds of chemical apparatus set up, but it looked as if it had been unused for some time. Tubes and beakers held nothing but stains where unknown liquids had dried and a layer of dust covered everything. The only thing that looked thriving was a large, ugly plant. Its aerial roots were penetrating the cave walls growing from a body which had the appearance of an enormous rhizome. More of the kind of tendrils or vines that had been used to secure the prisoners extended from the plant's tuber-like body. Also rising from it were creepers that held smaller versions of the plant as if it was budding. Without knowing why, Wyl shuddered at the sight of it.

"I can't detect any others hiding in there," Seamus whispered. "Let's go."

Dropping to the floor Vincent and Seamus, followed by Wyl and Delfin, ran forward. Seamus headed to Gabriel and Wyl to David as something caught Vincent's eye and he faltered to a stop causing Delfin to also halt.

"What is it?" the Dryad whispered, looking around.

"Something moved," Vincent replied, his own voice almost sub-vocal. "Wyl, Seamus, look out!" he shouted, but too late.

Thick vines, like scaled tentacles, snapped out from the body of the plant enveloping the two Vampires. It took only seconds for Vincent to realise that this was how David and Gabriel must have been caught as the vines wrapped around the others, rendering them helpless.

"Seamus," Delfin shouted, taking a step forward.

As he did he was shoved aside by Vincent as the blond vampire rose into the air. As the two men separated, a vine surged between them.

"I think it reacts to sound or vibration," Vincent shouted. "I'll distract it while you find some tree roots and get out of here. We have to retreat for now or we'll all end up like David and Gabriel."

Delfin wanted to argue, but as he looked up at Vincent's face, he saw the grief and despair. The blond had no more desire to leave his Chosen than Delfin did Seamus. Instead he nodded and raced for the tunnel. Although he could hear Vincent making noise and his own feet fell only lightly, Delfin could hear a vine slithering behind him. He gave a sob of relief as he saw thick roots in the tunnel's roof ahead and, with an agile leap, he dived into the tree. As he raced up towards the branches, Delfin shuddered as he heard the vine strike at the tree as if furious that its prey had escaped.

He emerged in the topmost canopy and retraced his way between the trees until he could see the entrance to the cave. He waited, his body trembling, until with a cry of Vincent's name he ran to be enveloped in the older Vampire's arms and lifted away from the cave. He clutched tightly to Vincent, praying the older man would know what to do.

****

At the sight of just two returning to his village, Kuyani was shocked. He issued orders to his warriors to be alert and on guard and gathered the women and children into one area for easier protection. He had no idea what could have so easily bested three Vampires and the Dryad and hoped that his powers would be enough to keep his people safe.

"Do you need anything?" he asked as Vincent landed beside him, not relinquishing his grip on the trembling Nymph. "What happened?"

"Our adversary is some kind of plant life," Vincent growled. "But nothing that has been grown naturally or behaves as such."

"Neither Seamus nor Wyl could break free of its vines," Delfin added. "It had Gabriel and David, too." He took a deep breath to steady himself as he was released by the blond Vampire who began pacing.

"There is nothing that occurs naturally in your world that could render both Vampires and Lycans helpless. Not without some kind of involvement from us," Vincent added. "We have to find some way to defeat this thing and rescue our family."

"What can destroy such a creature?" asked Kuyani. He looked over at Vincent as the blond man seemed fascinated by the flames of the fire around which some of his warriors sat. "Fire?" he queried, looking hopeful.

"Seamus said you were a Shaman, Kuyani," Vincent said, whirling around to face the other man. "Do you have any spell-caster abilities?"

"I have some," Kuyani said slowly. "I have no way of determining how strong they are."

"Would you be willing to accompany us and add your power to that of flame? Even if we can do no more at this time than free our family, we have to attempt it. A Vampire can exist for a long time if drained slowly and we have no idea how our blood might add to its power."

"It is not intelligent," Delfin offered. "If it had been alert I would have felt it."

"There was another prisoner there," Vincent said thoughtfully. "Perhaps he was more than he seemed. I have an idea, Kuyani."

****

At first light, Vincent put his plan into operation. Throughout the latter part of the night he had transported a good number of Kuyani's warriors into the trees around the deserted camp site. He gave each of them a plentiful supply of rocks. These were to be thrown to the ground individually to imitate something moving around the campsite. This was his intended diversionary tactic as Delfin, Kuyani and he would enter the cavern below ground in an attempt to both rescue their family and destroy the unnatural plant.

****

As Delfin made his way through the trees to enter the cavern the way he had left it the previous day, Vincent carried Kuyani and flew in through the cave entrance. Kuyani carried an unlit torch and Vincent could hear the Shaman chanting softly as they approached where their adversary waited. He slowed and, with infinite care, lowered Kuyani to the floor facing the plant.

Kuyani glanced over at the unmoving bodies, connected to the creature by its tendrils and shuddered. He wondered if they were aware of what was happening and prayed they did not. The man closest to the plant did look vaguely familiar, but with such a shrunken, wizened face he could not be completely certain it was the same man. Nor could he feel the same power from the man, although something tingled at the periphery of his instincts.

His eyes moved to the rhizome that looked so innocent and yet was clearly so deadly. He recognised the pods that heralded that the creature was producing more of its kind. He gave a shudder at the thought of dozens of the plants rooting themselves in his jungle. Nothing and no one would be safe if the plant was allowed to reproduce.

"When Delfin starts slicing through the vines holding our family, I will fly them out," Vincent's voice from behind and above him had the Shaman turn his head. "As we do, use your flame and let us hope it's enough to at least buy us time to free everyone. Are you ready, Delfin?" he asked the Dryad in his arms.

"I will start with David and Gabriel," Delfin said determinedly. As tempting as it was for the nymph to think firstly of Seamus, his friends had been in the creature's grip longest. As Vincent set him down, he pulled out his knives and then watched as Vincent morphed, the blond's teeth and claws extending as they readied to fight their adversary. He nodded to the Vampire and then to Kuyani and then moved. His knives effortlessly sliced through the vines holding David and Gabriel. Before their bodies could fall to the ground, Vincent had swooped in a fury of teeth and claws to carry them from the cavern.

More tentacles snaked forward, blindly seeking the source of the attack. As they did, Kuyani murmured a few words and his torch blazed to life. He pointed it at the rhizome and the flames flew forward, enveloping the creature. The body of the plant began to glow as if trying to repulse the flame, but it seemed to be having the desire effect on the tendrils. They began to flop and writhe harmlessly on the ground as if all the plant was able to focus upon was protecting its main body and the vines with its pods.

Leaving Kuyani to continue chanting the mantra to keep the flame blazing strongly, Delfin moved and sliced through the vines holding his husband and Wyl. He wished he could hold his lover but knew that such a luxury would have to wait. He gave an exclamation of disgust as a vine flopped over his foot. He slashed at the creeper angrily. Glancing back as he heard Vincent return, he was relieved at the sight of Seamus and Wyl being carried to safety. He then turned his attention to the last captive.

The Dryad sliced through the tendrils and gave a cry of shock as the man's eyes opened. The mouth moved, but Delfin could not work out the words. Bending closer, he leant over the shrunken body.

"Kill me."

The voice was a dry as the rustle of dead leaves and the young Dryad went to jump back, but was held by a hand of deceptive strength.

"It's using my magic to repel the flames. I can't destroy it myself and you won't unless you kill me. Do it. Let me finally die; please give me peace."

Although it went against all of Delfin's natural instincts to kill someone in cold blood, the Dryad knew what had to be done. Mouthing an apology that he knew was unlikely to be heard; he brought his training to bear. In a single, swift thrust he buried his knife deep into the man's heart. The body jerked once before going limp.

"The fire has broken though!"

Kuyani's triumphant yell followed a second or two later and Delfin turned to see the Shaman's flames finally beginning to consume to body of the plant. The rhizome body and the pods were no longer able to resist and shrivelled under the Shaman's relentless onslaught.

"Burn everything, Kuyani," Vincent said as he returned from leaving Wyl and Seamus with the still-unresponsive David and Gabriel. He watched with grim satisfaction as the plant burnt before his eyes. "There's little more you can do here, Delfin," he added, turning to the nymph. "Go back to our hut and try and get Seamus and Wyl to feed from you. As soon as I return with Kuyani, I will do the same for David and Gabriel."

"Take care, Vincent," Delfin said, hugging the blond Vampire tightly.

"I will not be satisfied until I have seen everything in here burnt to ashes," Vincent said to the Shaman.

"Nor I," Kuyani agreed through gritted teeth.

Finally the Shaman dropped his arms in exhaustion. As he stood, panting as if he had run for miles, he watched Vincent pick his way through the ashes. The Vampire's eyes flitted over everything as he stalked around the charred remnants of the laboratory.

"Is it done?" he asked.

"I believe so," Vincent replied. "But it will not hurt to check one more time."

****

Delfin left his friends and ran rapidly to the tree roots through which he had escaped previously. Ascending to the branches, he sped from tree to tree until the village came into sight. Dropping downward, he leapt lithely to race into their hut. He stopped and stared at his family lying so lifeless and still.

Although Vincent had suggested he start with his own husband, Delfin selflessly nipped at his wrist and pressed it to David's lips first. He gave a delighted smile as he saw the bruised, too-pale throat make the tiniest swallowing motion. He hoped it boded well. He moved to take the same care of Gabriel.

Once done he gave a few seconds thought to the fact his Bonded friends lay side-by-side. He eased David closer to Gabriel and positioned them so that the slender blond now had his head on his mate's shoulder and his arm across the Lycan's chest. In his turn, Gabriel was moved so he had an arm draped over David's waist.

"Good thinking, Delfin. Their closeness may help."

"I wanted to take care of them first," Delfin said, as he turned, blushing at Vincent's words of praise.

"Give me a hand with Seamus," Vincent said. "Once we have got him to feed you can settle with him. He and Wyl were in the creature's captivity the least and will hopefully revive quickly."

Trying not to be overly anxious as he watched Vincent lift his wrist to Seamus' mouth, the young Dryad could not help but give a small, choked sound of relief when his lover accepted the offering. As soon as Vincent decided that Seamus had taken enough, he smiled at the Dryad and moved over to his own beloved Chosen.

"I'll stay awake if you want to rest, Delfin," he offered as he watched the Dryad nestle against Seamus, the younger man's jade eyes reflecting exhaustion as well as anxiousness. "I'm sure the minute Seamus moves you'll be wide awake, and I can keep an eye on David and Gabriel. I'll wake you if I need you," he added, hoping the Nymph would take him up on his offer.

"Thank you, Vincent," Delfin said around a barely concealed yawn. "I hope and pray they awaken soon."

"Try to rest," the Vampire urged. He nipped at his wrist once more, urging his Chosen to take the offering. Although he felt some relief at seeing his mate swallow, the blond would not be happy until Wyl's eyes opened. Licking closed his small wounds, he began his solitary vigil.

****

Time seemed to pass with interminable slowness for Vincent. Seconds felt like hours and hours like days as he watched and waited for some self-initiated movement that indicated Wyl was recovering. Each time the insidious thought that this might remain a permanent state for his lover and his family tried to raise its head, Vincent shoved it brutally aside. He could not, would not, accept that they were not going to fully recover.

Eventually his unceasing vigil was rewarded. Wyl's eyelids fluttered and he made small movements as if trying to free himself from unseen bonds. Vincent made a sub vocal sob of relief and began to pepper Wyl's face with kisses. Then he pressed his lips to Wyl's ear.

"Relax, my Own," he whispered. "You are free and safe in my arms. Rest a little more, gather your strength. Feed from me, love." He nipped his wrist and pressed it to Wyl's lips, elation coursing through him at the stronger reaction from the younger man. "Sleep, Wyl," he whispered kissing his lover's temple. "When you wake again you will be stronger."

Once certain his mate was sleeping, Vincent rose silently. Delfin was sleeping, burrowed tightly against Seamus. Vincent knew that the older Vampire would be conserving his strength and letting the effects of whatever poison had incapacitated him fade before attempting to wake. Settling beside Gabriel and David, he nipped his wrist and let the Lycan and Vampire feed. Closing the small wounds, he made a slight change to the positions of his friends. He pulled David's shirt up so that Gabriel's hand touched smooth, pale skin and opened the Lycan's shirt to place the blond's hand over his mate's furred breast. He hoped the feel of each other would help them.

Casting a last glance at Seamus and Gabriel, Vincent settled with his Chosen, opening his own shirt so that Wyl's head nestled in the crook of his neck and shoulder. He wrapped his arms tightly around the lithe frame and let himself drift a little. However, part of him remained alert and on guard.

****

The low groan from Seamus had Vincent and Delfin awake and alert instantaneously. Vincent eased away from Wyl to kneel next to Seamus as Delfin leant over his slowly waking lover.

"Seamus?" the Dryad whispered tremulously.

"Feels like a horde of elephants trampled me," the vampire groaned, his voice husky. He forced open his eyes and saw the anxious look in his Chosen's verdant eyes. "I'm fine, Petal," he added. "I just need a little more time. How are the others?" he asked as he wrapped his arms around his lover.

"Wyl has tried to wake but it was too soon," Vincent replied. "Nothing yet from David or Gabriel, although I think they fed a little more strongly."

"Is it over?" Seamus asked, needing to know if the nightmare creature still existed.

"It's over," Vincent asserted. "The thing was destroyed and I checked that lab thoroughly. Nothing remained."

"It took strength from the other man," Delfin supplied, looking at his lover with tear-sheened eyes. "While he lived it drew power from him. I...I had to kill him. It was what he wanted," the Dryad added.

"You did the right thing, Petal," Seamus assured seeing the worry in the young nymph's eyes. "Will you hold me while I rest a little more?" he added.

Pelaam
Pelaam
1,330 Followers