Vannerbehn's Luck Pt. 08

Story Info
Getting in Deeper.
9.5k words
4.88
22.2k
27

Part 8 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 07/18/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,274 Followers

"It's possible? Ludianne could go home?"

- "I believe so." said Taliesine.

- "That's fantastic!"

Ludianne hugged me.

- "It won't be easy, though." said the wizard. "Or cheap."

- "Uh-oh." I didn't like the way she'd said that last bit. "How much?"

Taliesine shrugged. "Anywhere between a hundred and two hundred and fifty thousand."

I gaped at her. It wasn't that long ago that I'd have considered 250 a good score for the month. Now I was listening to the raven-haired wizard calmly throwing out a sum a thousand times greater.

"There are components we will need. I can't even begin to imagine how we'll obtain some of them. Magical resources, consultations ..."

- "We can afford it." I said. "How much do we have on hand, partner?"

Ludianne put her hand on my arm. "Slow down, Kelsen. We have to maintain a considerable reserve for the Narimac. You need money, as well, to buy a house. Taliesine is earning her reward."

- "Kima and I have found a suitable place." said the wizard.

- "There you are." said Ludianne. "You have to go see it."

I really didn't care. A house is a house is a house. I had far more practice robbing them. I myself only needed a room with a bed and a chest. But there might be advantages to living under the same roof as a wizard, and a deadly fighter.

There are times, I must admit, when I don't have a clue what I'm talking - or thinking -about. This was one of them.

11 Bedford Square was a three-storey mansion, on a very respectable street atop the Hill. It was quiet, with a small park directly across from it. There were flower beds on either side of the front door.

My main impressions were of dark wood, sunlight streaming through cleverly-placed leaded-glass windows, and space. So much space. You could have fit every room I'd ever rented into this house, and still have space left over.

I followed Taliesine and Kima through a sitting room (aren't most rooms made for sitting?), a dining room, a kitchen ... and then my mind began to shut down. Taliesine was talking, probably explaining the finer points, but I couldn't follow a quarter of what she said.

Kima just grinned at me. "You look a little lost."

- "A little? Don't tell me you understand all of this."

- "It's got a great room for storing armour and weapons." she said, with a wink. "And a wine cellar."

After a tour of all three storeys, I did begin to see a picture emerging. My bedroom, with a small antechamber (another 'sitting room') would be on the 3rd floor, at the back of the house. Taliesine and Kima would be at the front, with a view of the park.

For the rest of the upper floor, there was a room with a huge bathtub, and a 'common room'. The second floor would be given over to living quarters for the servants.

- "How many servants are we talking about?" I asked.

- "Cook, gardener, two or three maids. Maybe a butler who doubles as a wine steward."

- "Which I'll be paying for?"

Taliesine cocked a snook at me. That's what it looked like, anyway.

The ground floor would be for receiving guests, entertaining, and so on. Naturally, I looked at the house from the perspective of a burglar. I saw far too many points of ingress.

Kima shook her head. "Don't you worry, Kelsen. By the time Taliesine is finished with this place, a fly will have a tough time getting in unnoticed."

- "Guards and wards." said the wizard. "Guards and wards."

- "I'll take your word for it." I said - but I intended to take my own precautions. "So am I understand that this is the place you want? Both of you?"

The wizard and the fighter exchanged a look.

- "Yes." said Kima.

- "May I ask: how much is this place?"

- "Sixty thousand." said Taliesine.

***

Mother of Mercy. The dragon we'd fought couldn't have afforded to buy this house. And, as I soon discovered, 60,000 was just the beginning. Taliesine needed a room refurbished, for her private - magical - use. Furniture, carpets, tapestries, bedding, wine, servants ...

The women had their own ideas, of course, but a wizard and a fighter aren't necessarily equipped with taste in home furnishings. But I knew someone who was.

- "I could really use your help with this." I said to my friend Marta.

- "I can do it, Kelsen. But it sounds like it could be very time-consuming. I couldn't afford to do it for free."

- "I wasn't asking as a favour. Of course we'll pay you."

Marta met Kima and Taliesine, and impressed them with her first three suggestions. From then on, they were putty in her hands.

It wasn't a bad decision. Marta had been inside dozens of upscale houses, and she had an excellent eye for tasteful decor. She would enjoy the whole process of decorating our house.

- "How much?" asked Kima.

- "Fifty a day." said Marta. "That's better than a percentage, because then you know that I won't be inflating the prices or kicking money back to the merchants."

"That's the first thing. The second is ... if you have guests, and they compliment you on your furnishings - I'd like it if you told them about me."

- "We can do that." said Kima. "Is there a third thing?"

- "Oh, yes." said Marta. "Kelsen has to treat to me to another night at the Narimac. Once each week that I'm still working for you."

- "That will be a pleasure." I said.

- "With the full massage, too." she said. "Including the oil."

My future housemates exchanged a look.

***

Marta had more excellent advice, which she gave away for nothing.

- "You'll need a cook. Servants." she said. "Do you remember the Seahawk?"

- "The tavern that burned down?" There had been a nasty drunken brawl, and while the winners celebrated, some friends of the losers came back and set fire to the Seahawk. Burned the place to the ground - along with four of the adjacent buildings.

- "That's the one. The food there was excellent. That was the work of Boutan - she was the cook. And she lived next door." said Marta. "She's not only out of a job, but she's also homeless, her and her daughter."

- "I see. You think she'd cook for us?"

- "I know she would. Her daughter is ... I don't know, 16 or 17. If you gave the girl a job, as well - chamber maid, or something - you could have them both. I've tasted Boutan's cooking. You wouldn't regret it."

Marta's suggestion sounded good. I met with Boutan, living in cramped conditions with a friend, on the lower slopes of the Hill. She was grey-haired, wrinkled, and stooped over. But I got a good feeling from the very first moment I talked with her.

- "I'm tired of the tavern game." she admitted. "And I want to find a place for Naomi, here." She indicated her daughter, a short blonde moppet who looked barely sixteen. She was cute, though, and I could well imagine what kind of trouble she could get into, hanging about unsupervised in a tavern. Boutan would be a grandmother twice over before she knew it.

"Marta speaks well of you, Master Kelsen." said Boutan. "And if you can promise that you'll protect Naomi ..."

You have to understand: when Boutan said 'protect', the look on her face said 'don't molest'. She was worried about the Master of the House hitting on the servant girl.

- "I wouldn't let any harm come to you, or your daughter." I said. And the look I gave Boutan clearly implied that I included her daughter's maidenhead in that statement.

- "Then we'd be happy to work for you." said my new cook.

***

The house took up a chunk of my time. But I didn't forget about Jerian. Teeshay was constantly after me, wanting to 'do something'. After a few days, she seemed to be growing suspicious.

- "Are you trying to avoid me?" she asked.

That wouldn't do. So I bought a few bottles of wine, and took the little spy back to one of my rooms. I probably wouldn't need so many hideouts once we had the house ready for occupancy.

Teeshay was thrilled to see my room. That, and the wine, put her into a good mood. A very good mood.

I banged her from behind, bent over the bed, until she began to slobber on the sheets. Then I flipped her onto her back, and climbed between her legs. I entered her in one long, swift thrust. She lay back on the pillow, with her arms behind her, palms pressed against the wall.. But she raised her hips, and wrapped her slender legs around my waist, giving me even better access and deeper penetration.

As I fucked her, hard and fast, I wondered if she was sleeping with Jerian, as well.

Odd, that. As I fucked Teeshay, my mind was on other things. Her lies, the question of how much Jerian knew about me, and what he was really doing ... I was piling into her - and nowhere near coming.

Teeshay was staring at me in wonder. That's when I realized that I'd lost track of time. I'd been driving my hips against hers for quite some time. I slowed down, a bit, and changed from thrusting to grinding against her clit.

It worked, eventually. Teeshay came - or faked it.

Once I started concentrating on what I was doing, it didn't take all that long before I sprayed jets of come all over her stomach and cute little tits. I rolled over, next to her, and watched her fall asleep.

I didn't sleep, of course. Would you?

***

Showing Teeshay the location of my room was a kind of test. Partially, at least. The very next evening, I went back to that room. Sure enough, there were two men watching the place. Not very effectively - they were far too easy to spot.

They hadn't been there the night before, when I'd arrived with Teeshay. Or when we left. Teeshay was having me watched. Or Jerian was.

I was probably being followed, as well. But I routinely shed tails, without much inconvenience. Only a dogged or persistent tracker could give me cause for concern, and I hadn't had one of those in ages.

I know how it's done, because I was skilled at doing it myself. When I set up to burgle a man's house, or to run a complicated scam on him, I always wanted to know who I was dealing with. That meant knowing where they went, and who they associated with. I could follow them all day, without my quarry ever suspecting that I was there.

Now I was applying those skills to Jerian. I was careful - there's no point even trying it if you're not going to be cautious. And I had help.

Little Denya and two of my older accomplices took a turn working with me. If you're attentive, careful, or a bit of both, you may suspect that you're being followed. But when that suspicious person is then nowhere to be seen for the next hour, it's natural to relax.

Jerian left his house with a pair of bodyguards, and - unfortunately - Syrava.

First off, the fey could easily recognize me. Second, she was a wizard: unpredictable, and dangerous. I handed off the tail to Denya, and hurried off to get some more of my people. I warned every single one to be extra careful.

From then on, I stayed a few streets away. Periodically, one of the team came to let me know what had happened.

- "'E went t'the docks." said Puli, a young fellow with horrifically large ears. He was permanently annoyed that I made him wear a variety of hats when he worked for me.

"Met wi' two pirates fer 'bout an hour."

- "Any idea who they are?" I asked.

- "Denya's on it."

- "Alright. That hat suits you, Puli. Looks good."

- "Doan rub it in, Kelsen, awright?"

- "Honest opinion." I said. "Who has the next leg?"

- "Camenus."

Camenus was a young student. He couldn't decide if he wanted to be an advocate, or a wizard. While he was trying to make up his mind, he had to pay two tutors. To help make ends meet, he was happy to be an informer and part-time operative for me. I liked the boy because he was clean-cut, and could legitimately loiter where most of my helpers couldn't go.

An hour later, Camenus came in to report.

- "He met with Rymogo. At the Anchor Chain."

That was legitimate enough. Maybe. Two Pirate Lords having lunch could be completely innocent - or it could be the start of a conspiracy.

- "Who's on now?"

- "Mar."

Her full name was Marulamda. Naturally, no one in the Bottoms could be bothered with a name so long, so she was Mar to everyone. She was an intelligent, attractive young woman, who was also vacillating between career paths: thief, or prostitute. Mar was clever enough to know that the two are not necessarily incompatible.

It occurred to me, then, that she might benefit from a chat with Marta. I would have to get the two of them together.

Meanwhile, Denya came in to report.

- "Them first two pirates? One o' Jerian's captains, and a lootenant."

- "Thank you, sweetheart." I said. "Catch up to Camenus."

She scowled at me. I didn't know whether it was for what I called her, or because she had to meet Camenus. Let's say the latter.

Jerian met another captain after his lunch. This one was much more interesting. It turned out to be Jodzio Two-Tooth.

There were dozens of unaffiliated pirates in Kumyr, men and women who prized their independence above all. Money talks, of course; so does not having to take shit from anyone.

The Pirate Lords routinely canvassed these independents; it would have been remiss of them not to. Anyone who could recruit even a few independents could become a greater power in the city overnight.

Jerian and Two-Tooth might be still in the polite stages. But one never knew ... Ledomir and Inavar might be interested in this little bit of information.

Shortly afterwards, Jerian and his two bodyguards separated from Syrava. It was Marulamda who informed me.

- "Did someone follow the wizard? Please tell me you didn't -"

- "Puli is on Jerian. Denya took the wizard." she said.

- "You left a little girl on the wizard? What were you thinking?"

- "What're you talkin' about?" said Mar. "Denya's better than any of us."

That was true. I had overreacted there, for a moment.

With Syrava elsewhere, I could afford to shadow Jerian myself.

What a waste.

He took his bodyguards for few drinks at the Castle (a tavern, not a real castle). Denya found me outside.

- "The wizard went back to Jerian's house." she said.

- "You're sure? You were careful?"

Denya flashed me her best look of utter scorn. "What d'you think?"

- "Don't get snippy. I worry about you. And your brother." I paid her off, and told her to get lost.

Later that evening, Jerian went to visit a brothel. Not an expensive brothel, either. I was disappointed, and a bit confused.

Jerian had Cremyne at home. What was wrong with the man? She was one of the three most beautiful, most luscious, desirable females in all of Kumyr. Ludianne was one, as well, but I had yet to meet the third. Or first. I just thought it wise to leave one spot open, near the top.

Even if Jerian felt the urge to step out ... why here? Surely he could afford better. I didn't know what to make of it.

I paid off my crews, and went to the Narimac, for a late drink and a chat with Ludianne.

***

Four days of following Jerian produced mixed results. He met with several independent captains; again, that could be normal ... or not. After watching his spending habits, I came to the conclusion that he was a cheap bastard. That was no way to get ahead, for a Pirate Lord - especially an ambitious one.

Jerian was a randy bugger, too. Every night (and one afternoon), he visited seedy brothels, or low-end taverns. Why he would do that, with Cremyne at home, continued to baffle me.

I began to suspect that I was going to have to break into his home. There might be some documents, or some kind of evidence to give me a hint of what he was up to.

Unfortunately, no sooner had I decided to do that, than the heavens opened up, and it began to rain. Every day. Sometimes all day, and all of the night.

You can't burglarize someone's house when it's raining. Dripping water on the floors and furniture and tracking mud across the carpets is no way to pass without a trace. I would have to wait for decent weather.

That did give me an opportunity to ask Aressine out again. This time, she agreed to come to the Narimac.

She wore a long white skirt, and a green and yellow blouse that was just a little too tight across the chest. Aressine had a fine bosom - something I'd never noticed before.

- "I don't think I've ever seen you without your armour - or a cloak." I said.

- "Neither seemed appropriate, tonight." she said.

- "You look ... really nice."

She smiled. "Thank you." It wasn't the most suave of lines, on my part, but maybe that was what she liked about it.

Too bad she didn't care much for the Narimac.

- "Too loud?" I asked her.

- "I'm not much of a gambler." she said. "Sounds strange, coming from a fighter, I know ..."

- "Why is it strange?"

Aressine looked sad, for a moment. "Many fighters that I've known ... gambled a great deal. Every battle, every duel is like placing a bet. You never know when you're going to end up facing someone better. An opponent who's quicker, or stronger ... or just a little luckier, that particular day."

I took her upstairs, to the balcony, where at least it was a bit quieter.

"I'm sorry." she said. "I didn't mean to go maudlin on you."

- "Don't be. I didn't invite you because I expected you to make me laugh."

- "Why did you invite me, Kelsen?" she said.

Damn. Why do women do that? Everything is going fine, and they have to spring the trap question.

Well, I wasn't playing Aressine, so I told her the first thing that popped into my mind.

- "Do you remember, after the fight with the dragon ...? You were sitting on a stump, in your dented armour. You were completely exhausted. Your armour was streaked with blood, and dirt, and black acid."

"You looked exactly how I felt, at that moment."

"Physically and mentally drained. Satisfied, with a job successfully completed. But well aware that it could easily have all gone very badly. Lucky. You were feeling lucky to be alive. But too damn tired to enjoy it."

- "That's amazing." she said. Her eyes were wide. "How did you read all that?"

- "I told you: it's exactly what I was feeling. That was why I felt a ... kinship with you. Then I healed you - that always creates a bond. It works both ways, in case you're wondering. I will always be grateful to Pamna."

Aressine blushed. She swept her hair back. For the first time, I realized that she had an exceptionally long neck. Swan-like. I felt the urge to kiss her neck, her throat ...

- "And Pamna told you that I was interested in you." she said.

- "Don't make too much of that, Aressine. Yes, if I hear that a woman is interested in me, I'm curious ... But if she's ugly as sin, it isn't enough that she likes me. Or, if she's a complete bitch, that's not going to work either."

- "So I'm not a complete bitch?"

I shook my head. "You know very well you're not. But if you're not tired of compliments, then I can tell you that you're very attractive, and pleasant company. I know that you have a good heart - and not just because Pamna was trying to steer me towards you."

Aressine smiled again. I liked to see her smile, almost as much as I liked her profile.

- "Does that mean that you'd want to see me again? Even though I don't like the Narimac?"

- "Of course. Just because I own part of it doesn't mean that I want to spend all my time here."

- "Can I choose where we go, next time?" she said.

- "Of course. When?" I tried not to sound too eager.

- "The day after tomorrow?" She was smiling again.

- "That sounds great."

***

I expected a busy day, following Jerian in the rain, but he didn't go out at all. That still left me with Teeshay, who wanted to know more about what I was planning, or even what I was thinking.

AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,274 Followers