Vegas Ch. 05

Story Info
The day heats up.
10.9k words
4.76
13.8k
2

Part 5 of the 11 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 10/29/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is my first attempt at writing, having been inspired by a small band of authors whose work I immensely admire, and I have attempted to occasionally incorporate a flavour of their imagination in this story in tribute to them.

Having completed the novel, I have learnt so much more than I knew at the outset. Two areas of feedback are welcomed:

1. Comments of encouragement that will inspire me to write more... and constructive criticism that will help me improve.

2. Voting that will help me assess the enjoyment factor.... or otherwise.

CHAPTER FIVE: THE DAY HEATS UP

Daniel's troubled mind was beginning to settle down. He felt strong pangs of guilt over his actions with Katherine at the introductory dinner and he was only too aware of how despicable those were. Despite the relationship problems he and Grace had been suffering recently, he had genuinely thought that the visit to Vegas was the opportunity for a fresh start. Even more, perhaps it could have led to a return to the magical early days when they seemed to have been so much in love.

And yet he had betrayed her on their first day in the city.

There was no doubt that he felt a strong excitement around Katherine. She was such a free spirit and she simply oozed a sexuality that brought out in him a degree of arousal previously unfamiliar to him. Even just thinking of her now, as he stood on the Strip waiting for the bus to take him Downtown, was having an effect. The way she had looked at him, her soft voice, her fabulous body, their lovemaking. The thoughts brought an instant erection. What was wrong with him?

He glanced around at the half dozen others waiting beside him at the bus stop, wondering what secrets they had to hide. A Hispanic woman openly returned his stare and he pulled his tired eyes away. He realised he had behaved badly and that despite their recent issues, he was committed to Grace. He owed it to her to behave in the proper manner, especially as she had been so faithful and supportive to him.

Then why was he thinking of Katherine, he wondered again, standing back slightly from the kerb as the heavy, yellow bus arrived at the stop.

As he boarded, he realised that whatever sensations Katherine was producing in him this morning, for whatever reasons, he needed to focus instead on both Grace and his poker. And that started with today's Final Table. He wearily slumped back in his seat beside a group of excited Japanese tourists, who were jabbering away to each other in their own language.

As he tried to drown the sound, he realised it was not just his thoughts of Grace and Katherine that he had to battle against. It was also the fact that he had had less than four hours sleep last night. To say he was tired from the excitement, adrenalin rush and physical exertions of the previous day was putting it mildly. He felt exhausted, to say the very least, and he wearily closed his eyes in an attempt to block out his thoughts and the noise around him.

Although he catnapped for less than ten minutes, curiously enough it had its effect. Once he alighted and slowly made his way along Fremont Street towards Benny's Bullpen, an invisible hand appeared to lift the tiredness. Whether it was that brief rest, or the fact that he had shaken other thoughts away and was beginning to focus on his poker, a certain jauntiness returned to both his walk and mental attitude.

Even if he was first out today, his winnings would amount to four and a half times his entry fee. And that was a bonus considering the reason he had entered was to gain experience, and to obtain a flavour for what lay ahead. To have achieved what he had done was beyond his wildest expectations.

He decided to set himself a target and as he was currently in fifth chip position, he set his expectations at a top four finish. He appreciated that every other player had vastly more experience than he had, but all he asked for was a fair share of luck. If that came his way, he felt sure he could astound a few people.

And there was one other factor that he had going for him, he realised, as he entered the casino. That was the element of surprise. Others did not know his game, although unbeknown to Daniel, the news of this rookie Brit had started to spread. Before the Final Table commenced, he was both astonished and delighted to be interviewed by none other than Norman Chad, who along with Lon McEachern, co-hosted the television WSOP broadcasts.

Norm was the 'colour man' and Lon the analyst and whilst both of them did excellent jobs of providing insight, Norm had made his reputation with humorous comments on player behaviour, and his ability to find some type of common ground to which the average television fan could relate. It had made him a favourite among the many poker aficionados, including Daniel.

Daniel shook Norm's warm, hairy hand and told him that he had watched him so many times on British television and was a big fan of his. The friendly Chad thanked him and pointed out that the viewers would be fascinated by the story Daniel had to tell. It took a while to record it all on tape, and after completing the recorded telecast, Norm wished Daniel luck. Not only would his progress at today's Final Table be monitored and reported, he said, but so would his efforts in the forthcoming Main Event.

The interview made Daniel feel even better and he laughingly told himself that whilst it seemed he was becoming a celebrity, it would certainly be no more than five minutes of fame. Enjoy it whilst it lasts he told himself, but do not lose your focus.

But that focus was not helped when a Practically Poker representative found him, having only just discovered what was happening with one of their qualifiers. He insisted on talking to Daniel about his achievements, before gently and not so teasingly asking why him why he was not wearing any of their gear. Daniel found himself blushing as he realised he had left his pack in the Hospitality suite before he and Katherine had commenced their tour.

"No problem," announced his new friend. "I'll have another one, with a few extra goodies, delivered to your hotel."

He took details of Daniel's room and hotel, and then produced a black, long sleeved shirt bearing the site name and logo.

"How about wearing this today," he encouraged. "Tell you what, as there's a little television coverage, we'll pay you five thousand dollars if you wear this and finish in the top four."

*

The phone call had taken Grace by surprise, but she was delighted. It was an invitation to lunch, no less. At Samuel Smith's. It appeared that Samuel was as keen to see her again as she was to be with him. Instead of her mid afternoon 'rehearsal', the female on the other end of the line had asked if she could arrive in time for lunch at one o'clock.

Grace dressed in the sexiest lingerie she had brought with her and made a mental note to purchase more tomorrow. It was ten to one when she entered the club and she walked slowly across to the bar area. Her head swung from side to side as her eyes searched among the impressive crowd of patrons, trying to locate Samuel.

Although the bar itself was very busy, a rather attractive young, blonde haired barman at the far end of the counter caught her eye and waved to her. She made her way over to where he was drying a large glass.

His soft eyes followed her as she approached and he gently said, "Hello Grace. You were something else last night."

"Why thank you," she responded, pleased with the compliment.

"Want a drink?" he asked, gesturing to the row of bottles that adorned the bar behind him. "Compliments of the house."

Before she could reply she heard a hard voice from behind her.

"No, she doesn't."

She saw the barman immediately stiffen, almost as if he was about to stand to attention. Grace turned and looked at a very young, attractive man. It was Joshua, immaculately dressed in a dark suit, white shirt and silk red tie.

"Hello, Grace. I am afraid to say that my dad has been called away on business for the afternoon. He asked me to look after you. So I thought lunch would be nice."

Grace took his proffered hand and his fingers gently caressed her palm. Before she could respond to his suggestion, he pointed to one side.

"Come and join me," he instructed.

It seemed more like a directive than a question, and she happily complied as he took her slim arm and guided her along the side of the bar. Opening a partially hidden door to the right, he led Grace up a small flight of stairs. Once at the top he stood aside, opening another door and allowing her to walk in ahead of him. His gaze dropped to the smooth interplay of her buttocks as she walked into the medium sized room and he involuntarily licked his lips as his mind jumped ahead to the pleasures that were in store.

As she looked around, Grace's interested gaze took in the small, intimate table that stood to one side. There were two dinner places set, and several lit candles giving off a deliciously sensual smell of incense.

"Please have a seat," Joshua said, putting his hand in the small of her back.

His thumb rubbed her skin through the fabric of her blouse as he gently guided her to one of the chairs. As she gracefully took her seat, Grace could not help herself from staring at him. He had the most amazing brown eyes, bright and alert, and she could see them shining at her in the white light given off by the candles.

"I wanted to thank you," he said, reaching for the dish in the centre of the table.

Carefully removing the top with the help of a rich, green, cotton serviette, the air around them was immediately filled with the scent of Italian food. Grace's nostrils took in the smell of garlic, fresh pasta, and rich cheese and thought the aroma was wonderful. After a moment, she thought about what he had said.

"Thank me. Why?" she asked, her eyes flicking between his face and the food.

"For adding such a touch of class last night," Joshua casually replied. "You were quite superb, you know. We have big things planned for you, Grace."

"Really?" was all Grace could weakly reply, momentarily distracted as she watched his large hands delicately ladle up several small spoonfuls and scoop them onto a plate. He handed it across the table to her with a huge smile.

For a moment there was silence between them whilst he served himself. Then, carefully placing the lid back on the top of the porcelain dish, he delicately poured two glasses of wine and flashed another smile as he handed one to Grace. As he smiled, she could not help but notice the similarity in looks to his father. But this was a younger version. She felt a familiar stirring and crossed her legs.

"To success," he said, raising his sparkling glass. He waited until Grace did the same and then added, "To your success, Grace. You are going to be a big star."

Grace blushed like a schoolgirl, unsure how to respond. But he continued without waiting for a reaction.

"My father speaks highly of you, Grace. He says you have a unique talent."

He reached across and enveloped her small white hand in his as he spoke, his piercing brown eyes burning into hers.

"Well, actually, he said you had more than one talent."

Grace blushed furiously again. His words resulted in the arousal between her legs increasing in intensity. But instead of responding, she bashfully looked down at her meal and, taking her hand from his, picked up her fork. She prodded the contents, aware that Joshua was watching as she poked at her meal.

He realised her embarrassment and for the moment wondered if he had gone too far, too quickly. He allowed the comment to stay hanging between them and took a small bite from his own plate. But his eyes never left her face.

Grace dug the fork in deeper and lifted out a portion. The scent was overpowering and she had to try it. The food practically melted on her tongue, her taste buds overwhelmed. An edible piece of bliss, Grace thought to herself, wondering as she chewed and swallowed if she was referring to the food or the young man seated across the table. Joshua continued to watch her, approval glowing in his eyes.

"It's delicious," Grace said, looking at him again as she re-found her confidence.

The flavours still tingled in her mouth and she watched as Joshua also savoured the food. His attractive, powerful neck moved ever so slightly as he gracefully swallowed. Everything about this man was graceful, she thought. He closed his eyes in appreciation at the taste, and then opened them, smiling at Grace.

She wondered if the smile was in approval at the taste of the food, or at the way she had been watching him.

"You are quite correct," he stated with a brief simplicity. "It is delicious. Enjoy."

*

The world was moving too fast, Daniel thought. He had eventually sat down at the table having changed into the crisp, clean shirt but declined a matching baseball style cap. He eased his solid frame back against the arms of the chair, lifting the chipped, wooden front legs from the ground as he did so. He closed his eyes and attempted to regulate his rapid breathing. Time to calm down, he told his inner self.

He decided that with so much going on around him, his way of dealing with the unfamiliar attention would be to fold every hand he was given until premium cards were dealt his way. He understood that was not exactly a textbook approach, but knew that he had enough chips to adopt this strategy, for a while at least.

As he nervously glanced around the Final Table, noting the serious expressions adorning every face, he hoped that this line of attack would stop him from doing anything silly whilst his head was spinning. Not only that, but with blinds of 2,000 and 3,000; and betting limits of 3,000 to 6,000; he knew there could be dramatic chip swings. He knew he could make himself look a complete idiot if he made a bad move and exited quickly.

However, he attempted to convince himself that if he could allow a few others to take each other out, then he would move up in position by default. He ordered a diet coke and eased forward in his seat, his searching eyes again taking in the whole table as the dealer prepared to release the first hand.

If he was wondering who would be the first to go, it did not take long for him to find out. The short stack was a mountain of a man with a thick, red, beard and it seemed clear from both his demeanour and early aggression that he meant business. After successive all-ins had improved his chip position, he made the same move again and found himself called by another short stack, a young clean cut kid sporting a crew cut.

The Mountain Man somehow found a straight from a losing position to win his third successive hand and reduce the field to eight.

Daniel exhaled slowly. His worst nightmare of being the first to leave the table had not been realised and he allowed himself a long sigh of relief. Three hands later the Final Table was reduced down to seven. Mountain Man continued with his aggressive style and perhaps encouraged by his doubling up, attempted to do the same again, but this time he decided to lock horns with the chunky framed guy who held the chip lead from yesterday's play.

The outcome was predictable and Mountain Man left, growling as he stroked his beard.

Daniel realised that he had not played a single hand, and yet he was guaranteed seventh position at the very least. He was around par in chips when the blinds increased to 2,000 and 4,000 and it was then he received his first action. The dealer fanned him a pair of aces with rags. The new short stack, an older guy wearing a crumpled light blue Whistling Straits golf shirt, made a raise in early position and everyone folded to Daniel. After thinking for a few seconds, he re-raised.

Whistling Straits instantly called and Daniel knew that by calling, his opponent was pot committed. This hand was going all the way. He felt his throat involuntarily swallow and wondered where that had come from. A long swig from the red diet Coke can eased the dryness.

The flop was Jack–Nine–Ace. His heart beat increased. That gave him a set.

Whistling Straits bet. Daniel re-raised and with the call, Whistling Straits was all-in. They turned over their cards and Daniel saw that as expected, Whistling Straits was on a diamond flush draw. He felt the dryness return.

The turn brought a club, as did the river. Daniel's internal sigh of relief was almost audible. His chip stack had substantially improved and now there were only six players remaining.

A young kid on Daniel's left, who looked like he needed a shave but did not look old enough to do so, was running low on chips. He had been sitting impassively for a while but now apparently decided enough was enough, and pushed all-in. Chip leader Chunky naturally called and using the method so prevalent in the tournament so far, took him out on the river.

Daniel had made the last five. Only one more and he would have achieved his last four objective - and another five thousand dollars from his site sponsor!

Hell, he could even win the whole thing, unbelievable as that sounded. There was a good crowd gathered now in the Bullpen, straining for the best view behind the velvet cord. Friends, family and admirers all shouted words of encouragement to the players every so often, or at least, all of the players with the exception of Daniel. Until....

"How's it going, Englishman?"

Daniel instantly recognised the familiar voice from the rail and immediately an involuntary smile spread across his still dry lips. He slowly glanced around and saw Katherine beaming at him. After folding his hand, he walked over to where she was standing. He could not help but feel a surge of delight, despite his instant recollection of the conversation he had held with himself at the bus stop.

"I'm doing okay," he murmured nervously. "How about you?"

"Oh I'm good," she answered, her green eyes mischievously sparkling as she pulled a strand of her red hair from across her freckled forehead. "I've been thinking about you. Quite a lot."

Despite his surroundings, and his newfound intentions of being faithful to Grace, Daniel felt an immediate stirring in his loins. Even as he felt the embarrassing reaction, a cheer went up around them. He glanced back at the table to see the tall bespectacled guy who had been sitting to his right stand up, shaking his head. He shook hands with the other players and then came over and did the same to Daniel.

"Good luck, son," he said, his firm hand shaking Daniel's and then for some reason added, "I'm rooting for you."

Daniel thanked him, patting the man's shoulder as he turned away. He began to turn back to Katherine, realising just how pleased he was to see her.

"That was worth five thousand dollars," he began to say, and then caught himself. "Wait a minute, how did you know I was playing here...." he began.

"You told me," she reminded him, her sparkling eyes laughing happily. "I could not come to find you yesterday because I was working. So I thought I'd try today, though I'm working again and only have a few minutes. But here I am!"

Her bright eyes sparkled at him and he found himself grinning inanely.

"You better wipe that college boy smile off your face, Englishman," she teasingly said.

She whispered slightly so that he had to lean into her to catch her words. He could smell her fabulous perfume as he did.

"I was hoping that you had not been knocked out of the tournament yesterday, but I had more faith in you than that."

Daniel smiled again, his tongue flicking across his dry lips.

"I have to go," Katherine continued, placing her tiny hand on his tanned arm. "I just wanted to check. Are you going to Samuel Smith's to see Grace perform later?"