Very Close

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It quickly became a favorite read in the office.

"Ooh it's dead romantic aint it?" Norma, who hailed from Leeds asked Ruby, from Auckland but a dedicated reader of romantic fiction and in tune with Norma's thinking.

"Imagine being in such danger and this wonderful strong woman just takes control, how great would that be?" Ruby wondered.

"Takes her home and all."

"What do you think happened next?"

"I wonder...I'll post it on Face Book just for my mum an' that. They'll enjoy this."

It went viral.

A day later at Woman's Day Magazine things were slow. They had some bloody All Black demand a fortune for his upcoming wedding to the not all that young woman he had been shacked up with for years, some second rank Royal who was expecting her third baby and a celebrity weigh loss story.

This was gold and the editor sent her best reporter along with the Photographer and make up artist to get the story.

Brittany Smythe had a nose for a story and her nose was positively twitching with this one. They went to the depot to interview Dennis. He was due in for Smoko at ten and they were welcome to wait in the canteen which they did until the Depot Manager discovered they were there and took them on a tour hoping a Photo Opportunity would present itself and Betty might start looking at him for a change instead of that bloody neighbor with the flash car.

Sean took Photos like there was no tomorrow. Everyone got a turn and when Dennis steered his Mercedes Bus into it's slot he was the most popular man in the depot.

As he alighted from his bus Sean stopped him.

"Can I have you looking into the distance?"

Dennis peered.

"That's it, perfect. You're a natural mate."

A few more including one of Dennis seated and looking anxiously at his open door while clearly remembering the drama of the other day and Dennis was handed over to Brittany. He had kept a close watch on the young girl and the older lady and gave enough observations to cement Brittany's gut instinct call that this was the story of the year.

Two coffees and a Cheese Scone from the bakery up the road later Brittany was bloated but content. She had a start and she had a lead. All she had to do now was find these two.

Quite unaware of the interest in them Anita and Pru had been out and about shopping. Anita had insisted on getting Pru a "Fucking new Fucking wardrobe and don't you fucking well dare say fucking no." Pru had had no choice plus she adored Anita and one day, well one day maybe it would be her doing something fantastic for Anita.

They had been to Farmers and to Glassons, Caroline E and Millers. Anita's was a familiar face around the traps but no one had seen the girl with her. Everyone though could see they were an item.

Brittany found them having lunch at Columbus Coffee Lounge in the Mall. It had been another gut call.

"Do you mind if I sit down?" she had asked flashing her most engaging smile as Sean and Amy, the make-up assistant, had tried to be invisible in the background.

Neither minded and she sat with them. There was a story going round she told them- as the counter assistant stared through narrow eyes as the arrogant bitch had't bought anything- about this young girl just managing to get on a bus before these angry women could get her and there was this older lady who was on the bus and just took control, had they heard of it?

And Pru had looked so adoringly at Anita and she had looked so protectively at Pru that the game was up.

"It was you guys, wasn't it?" Brittany had gushed and they had nodded.

Amy had worked her magic and Sean's camera work had been brilliant. Brittany presented her Editor with, as the editor herself described it,"A bloody gem."

Copies of the next edition sold off the shelves as did the three reprints.

It was a magical time for everyone- except Anita and Pru. They had been in love on their own in their little world but now there was no 'just them.' Paparazzi were stationed at the front of the section trying to get a picture of them. It was more than that though they were celebrities, albeit reluctant ones, and everyone has an opinion on celebrities.

Some of the comments on Morning Television were hurtful, some were insulting but none were pleasant. They tried not to watch any television or read any magazines or go on face book and so they missed the back lash. Women like Norma and Ruby were incensed at the character assassinations and rang the TV studios to complain bitterly. Many also, shrewdly, contacted the advertisers threatening to stop using their products and the advertisers responded.

A slightly self righteous apology on behalf of TV One was the start. It was followed on TV 3 with a more sensitive one and soon the interest shifted to be on their side. However interest itself soon waned and two days later the photographers were gone.

For all that their lives had to change. They would have in any case as both had been single previously but the peaceful co-existence Anita had anticipated was not possible as they were recognized where ever they were. She became depressed, she lost weight and became lethargic so that Pru who loved her more deeply than ever was at her wits end over her.

She had no money of her own and would not touch Anita's so was unable to take her away somewhere.It was afar cry from the joyful exuberance of a few short weeks before. In the end she just took her to quiet spots such as beaches or lakes where they would sit together, often with a blanket over their laps, and share a picnic lunch in silence. As much as she could Pru would hold Anita's hand and tell her over and over again just how much she loved her. Anita blamed herself for what had happened to Pru and it was a guilt she felt she couldn't live with.

Despite everything Pru did for her Anita grew weaker.

Not everyone was mildly curious about the two mismatched lovebirds. There were other Spring and Autumn relationships and they were acutely interested in Pru and Anita, especially when they heard Anita was failing.

And so it was that Audrey Sutcliffe visited one miserable Thursday morning. Audrey was sixty seven and had only recently buried the only love of her life Elizabeth who had been thirty four when she had died from Breast Cancer.

She sat on Anita's bed and told her of their decision once the diagnosis had been confirmed to make each day a celebration of their lives together. She spoke with such conviction that Anita had to hear her. When she left a few hours later she was not at all confident she had made any impression on Anita but that evening the lady finally ate a few mouthfuls of Pru's stew. She had a small bowl of porridge for breakfast and when Pru rang Audrey to tell her the good news while Anita was having her afternoon nap they cried together on the phone.

It was a long haul as her health had been seriously damaged but she fought her way back to as good as could be hoped and the two of them vowed they would live to make the other happy each and every day. They did too because at the end of the day, for them, that was all that mattered.

12