Visions Unveiled Ch. 00

Story Info
Prologue.
1.6k words
4.57
26.1k
47

Part 1 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 08/02/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
IrishBelle
IrishBelle
144 Followers

*Author's Note: This is my first attempt at this type of story, as well as my first posting in quite a long time.*

Prologue

Shane Kellen was completely frustrated. He had been at the desk in his study for hours trying to reconcile a business ledger that just wouldn't balance. As Alpha of his pack it was his responsibility to ensure his extended family was always protected and provided for and a large part of that was ensuring the businesses he ran remained profitable. Dropping his pencil he consulted the clock on the desk and realized that hours had passed since he entered the study earlier in the day. With a sigh he rose from his chair and stretched his large frame. He took a deep breath and turned to the window noticing for the first time that snow had began to fall.

The winter storm called to the beast inside, tempting him to lift the window. Shane wanted nothing more than let his wolf free, to leap and bound through the snowy banks. This weather both calmed and grounded him, reminding of nature, it made him feel whole. At full height he was just over six feet tall, and while there were taller Weres out there, even within his own pack, none within miles came close to matching his strength and speed. He was a warrior born to a pack of Irish descent, and had been breathing on this Earth for nearly three hundred years. He had the fair complexion of his people, along with hair that was the deepest, richest brown possible. His eyes also were a deep brown, except when in Were form that they became a molten gold. He was not only large and powerful, but fiercely intelligent. He was the first born male to the Alpha couple before him, as by birthright he ruled his pack, but his keen intelligence and sense of fairness ensured that he was also deeply respected as well.

It was the desperate knock on his front door which broke his revelry. Part of him wanted to ignore the insistent banging, but he somehow sensed that whatever was outside his home could not be left to wait. With a sigh Shane left the warmth of his study heading towards the front door. In the hall he encountered Logan, his most trusted Beta who was already moving to answer the door. Holding up a hand he gestured to his closest friend that he would see to whoever was knocking so urgently. Nodding his head in a slight bow towards his Alpha, Logan returned to his own responsibilities, which were also many.

The biting cold wind was the first thing Shane noticed when he opened the door. His eyes closed reflexively against the wind and when he blinked them open again he finally saw who was so desperate to see him. "Gregor?" he said as he wrenched the door fully open and extended his hand to assist the man who was also supporting his heavily pregnant wife. "Why in the world are you both out in this storm? Is there trouble at the cottage?" he snapped off, concern for the humans at his door laced in his voice.

Gregor and his wife, Ilsa, lived in a small cottage just on the other side of the forest from Shane's territory. Gregor was an expert in languages and had assisted Shane multiple times throughout the years in dealings both relating to business and more personal pack matters. As the years passed they developed an accord that now leaned towards friendship. Yes, they were humans, many of which did not know of the Were existence at all, but Gregor and his wife were special humans, and Shane counted the couple among those under his fierce protection.

It was the petite Ilsa who spoke first, "Alpha! Please you must listen." Shane had already escorted the couple into his foyer and secured the door. When he turned back to them he noticed Ilsa was barely able to stand, despite the support of her strong husband. Shane knew the storm had them both drained and he shook his head as he placed his hand behind Ilsa's back and glared at Gregor. "Why did you not call for me? I could have been to the cottage within minutes. How long were you out there?" he asked, noting the couple was near freezing.

"Ilsa insisted we come to you," Gregor answered, "She said there was no other way."

Instantly, Shane was on full alert. "A premonition?" he asked reluctantly while looking towards Gregor. A large part of what made the couple so special was the visions Ilsa had. Shane was not certain he believed in prophets, but he had seen with his own eyes in the past years as the slight female before him predicted a viscous flood, a war among her own people and the recovery of fortune believed to be lost by a family in the nearest town. Ilsa's visions were not always bleak, and Shane wondered what was so important today. He frowned realizing he had not seen Ilsa in many months, even though he saw Gregor on a regular basis regarding the translation of a certain text in his library.

Before another word could be spoken Ilsa stumbled again. Uttering a muffled curse, Shane easily lifted her into his arms and carried her into his study, settling her down on the couch in front of the fire which was blazing there. Before he pulled away fully from her, Shane caught her scent and froze in disbelief. His Were senses allowed him to detect things which humans could not, and his deep brown eyes briefly flashed gold as he inhaled deeply once more. The cloying scent of sickness was undeniable and he knew without needing any type of healer to tell him that the cancer was beyond advanced. Shane lifted his concerned eyes to Gregor who simply nodded at him, confirming that it was true. This, Shane realized, was why she had been homebound, deathly ill whilst carrying her first child. Shane shook his head in disgust at how cruel the human God could be.

His focus changed yet again as Ilsa grabbed his forearm tightly, "Alpha, beware." Shane nodded silently and kneeled before her as Gregor took his place beside her on the couch. All of Ilsa's premonitions began this way.

Once he regained his voice Shane placed his hand over hers, "Of course, Ilsa. What have you come to share?" Quickly he blinked his eyes, hoping this would not be the last vision she ever shared with him.

Shane watched as her remarkable silver eyes glazed over for a moment, knowing Ilsa was seeing what only she could. When her eyes cleared again she smiled gently at him. "She will come to you on a night that is neither dark nor light."

He barely dared to whisper, not wanting to break her concentration. "Who will?"

Instead of answering his question she simply smiled once more. "You must help her. Try not to be angry for all the time lost. There is reason and there is life. Remember to be patient. And forgive those that kept her from you, for there was no other way."

Shane desperately searched her eyes, trying to keep up with the vague picture she was painting. Feeling at a loss he could only ask again "Who again? How will I know?" He glanced at Gregor hoping for help, but he knew this was the first Gregor was hearing of it as well. Helplessly Gregor shrugged, more concerned for his wife's health than what she was saying at all.

"Promise me!" Ilsa went on, he tone now demanding. "Promise me you will. That you will help her."

Without even thinking Shane nodded his ascent. He could no more deny the pull of the moon than the enchanting human before him. Listening to her pleading he realized he would grant her anything she wished. "I swear it," he vowed. At his declaration Ilsa threw her arms around his neck and sobbed. As gently as he could, he embraced her, unable to escape the scent of death which lurked just under her skin. As he breathed her in he suddenly became aware of a new scent which rocked him to his core. Unlike the scent of disease, this scent was fresh and vibrant. It reminded him of the smell of the air during a pleasant rainfall. For one brief moment his heart stuttered and leapt with a joy he could not explain. As quickly as it came upon him, the feeling and scent were wrenched away, only to be replaced by the black scent of impending death.

In the next moments, Ilsa was rising to her feet, expressing her wish to return home. Shane shook his head, "Absolutely not, you will both rest the night here. When the storm ends and the path to the cottage is clear I will escort you both back then." Quickly he arranged for a guest room to be prepared for his friends. Once the suite was ready he watched as Gregor assisted Ilsa up the stairs to rest for the night. As he watched them go, Shane replayed her words over and over in his mind while recalling the mysterious scent of rainfall. Never had a premonition of hers affected him so deeply. As he heard the door to the guest suite close he sighed heavily, sending a prayer to what he believed was his more forgiving Goddess that Ilsa would have a peaceful rest. Sadly, he had no way of knowing that before the night was over the precious human would be dead.

IrishBelle
IrishBelle
144 Followers