Visions Unveiled Ch. 05

Story Info
Into the light.
7.3k words
4.75
12.7k
16

Part 6 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 08/02/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
IrishBelle
IrishBelle
144 Followers

5.

Into The Light

As she came awake, Faline slowly realized two things. The first was that she was freezing cold, and the second was the tight, aching pain throughout her entire body. She sat up slowly and tried to take in her strange surroundings. The last thing she remembered was fleeing through the forest, but now she found herself inside of some sort of cabin. Where was she? And more importantly, how did she get here? She was surprised to realize that her teeth were chattering despite her body being tangled up in several thick blankets. She pushed them down off of her and began to swing her feet towards the floor.

"Please don't move too quickly, you are not well."

Startled, Faline raised her eyes, searching for the man who had spoken to her. Though the voice seemed filled with gentle concern, there was also an undercurrent of authority in his tone. She located him standing across the room from her, where he was framed in a doorway that led to the room beyond. Though at first glance he appeared to be casually leaning with his arms crossed, she could tell he was tense. It was clear that he was purposefully keeping his distance.

Her eyes widened as she quickly noted the breadth of his shoulders, and how even in his relaxed posture his folded arms were thick with muscle. He was tall, undoubtedly strong, and appeared to be wound tight like a spring. If she was reading his body language correctly, he was on edge, possibly set to pounce at any moment. She dared to take her eyes off of him for a moment to scan the room. She was searching for an exit, a way to escape. When her eyes landed on the front door, she quickly looked back to the man to see how far from her he was standing. She had to risk it. Without taking her eyes off of him she brought her hands together and started to whisper to herself. "Hverfa ... fel."

She saw his eyes narrow as he focused on her words, but to her relief he did not move. She quickly realized she could not continue to speak, as her breath was suddenly gone, only to be replaced by a horrible cough. She covered her mouth with her hand as the cough worsened. Faline couldn't stop herself from doubling over. She began to feel lightheaded as the cough progressed, and she suddenly recognized the achy pain in her body as one she was all too familiar with.

Once she regained control of her breathing, Faline opened her eyes and was relieved to see the man still hadn't come any closer to her. He observed her with worried eyes, as if her condition somehow caused him discomfort as well. He unfolded his arms, and as he did so he took his first steps into the room. "Please don't be alarmed. You are not in danger here."

Faline couldn't have disagreed more. She extended her palm toward him as if it would fend off his approach. When that didn't work she looked at him with brave eyes and stated simply, "You are a wolf."

She knew that when he suddenly froze in his steps it was because she had shocked him. She wasn't certain if he would deny it or not. He tilted his head slightly to the side as he considered her, and then after staring at her for several long moments he finally nodded. "Yes. I am the Alpha of this territory. My name is-"

Without thinking, Faline sucked in her breath. "You're an Alpha?!," she blurted, as she assessed him once again. Noticing once more how large and powerful he looked simply standing still. She couldn't stop herself from rambling on. "Of course you are," she muttered, "They must really want me dead to have finally sent an Alpha ..."

The growl he issued at the mention of her death shook the air in the room. Faline misinterpreted his anger and looked again to the door. "Leyna," she whispered, hoping that she had enough strength to vanish long enough to at least make it outside. Faline kept her eyes glued to him, hoping that she had enough time to flee should he suddenly attack her. Including the time in London and the run in with the one she encountered on the way to the bakery, Faline had been attacked by werewolves regularly since she was a small child. Always, she managed to escape with little to no harm. This was the first time she had been in such close confines with one however, as it usually happened out in the open. This was also the first Alpha she had encountered to her knowledge, and that gave her all the more cause to panic.

When he spoke again his voice had taken on a rough, gravely tone which she knew meant he was a step further from man, and closer to becoming the wild creature that was capable of tearing her to shreds. "Tell me the name of whoever has threatened you, and they shall rue the day they dared to bring you harm."

Faline found she couldn't concentrate on his words as she was once again suffering another coughing spell. She shook her head and as he began to approach her once again. He stopped when he saw her eyes go to the door and he followed her gaze. "You are not a prisoner by any means, but we are in the middle of an ice storm. Leaving is out of the question. It is not safe."

Faline managed a small breath before shaking her head at him, "No, not safe," she rasped.

She saw him frown as he digested her words. He then reached to a table beside her and picked up a glass of water which had been placed there. "Here," he said, "Drink, you are dehydrated." Again, there was that tone which suggested he fully expected her to comply. She hesitated before accepting the glass, knowing he could quickly kill her in a dozen ways without having to waste his time or energy with poison. When she took a tentative sip, he nodded his approval. Almost instantly she began coughing yet again, and so he extended his hand to take the shaking glass back from her.

Faline sighed in defeat, knowing she was too sick to truly consider any type of escape at the moment. He spoke the truth, she realized, as she could hear the frozen rain beating against the roof of the cottage, and a glance towards the windows told her it was dark outside. She felt exhaustion closing in on her, and while she still feared for her life, she knew this man in her presence was the largest Were she had yet to come in contact with, and he hadn't killed her yet. Either he was waiting for some reason, or possibly there was a chance his words were true, and he would not harm her. She hoped for the latter, but was too weary to ponder it much further. When she could fight it no longer, her heavy eyes closed as she slipped to sleep once more.

* * *

Shane held his breath as he watched his mate drift into a restless slumber. His first encounter with her left him staggering. He was amazed that she identified his true nature, and he wondered how it was possible for her to know such a thing. What he found more worrisome however, were her cryptic words. Clearly, she had interactions with the Were community before, and from what he could tell, none had been pleasant. The mere notion she thought he could be capable of ending her life nearly crippled him. She obviously was knowledgeable about Weres, to be able to identify one on sight. It relieved him of having to explain to her what he was. It did pose a problem however, that she was clearly afraid of his kind, and seemingly for good reason. Desperately, Shane ached to know where she had been all these years. She must have been miraculously revived at the hospital. He wondered if after Gregor's death if a distant family member had come forth to raise her. He readjusted the blanket covering her, before stepping back to gaze upon her once more. So many questions, he thought to himself as he shook his head and backed out of the room.

A short time later, Shane was standing at the window in the kitchen of the cottage. This room faced east, and from here he watched the slowly brightening sky. The branches of the trees were encased in a coating of ice, causing them to gleam in the early light of day. Thick clouds still hovered in the sky, though the rage of the storm had ended. The forest was silent, as it was too early for most of the creatures to emerge. He had now been awake for over 24 hours, and while he was fatigued, he was more worried over what this day would hold.

His mate was ill, and from the sounds of her distressed breathing while asleep, she would be no better upon awakening. She needed medical care. He sighed as his eyes scanned over the ice encrusted world beyond the window. There were no actual roads leading to the cottage, which meant they would have to travel by foot. He considered reaching out to Logan, to send a vehicle to the nearest point where the forest met a nearby back road, but then he quickly dismissed the idea. The ice which covered the trees would be doubly thick on the pavement of the road. The back road was subject to several curves and a number of hills, as pack lands were decidedly set far beyond main highways. While the roads may have been pretreated for the winter weather, he was doubtful they would be drivable at this hour. He did not have faith in traveling on such roads after such treacherous weather. It wasn't worth risking the safety of any of his pack or his mate to drive in these conditions. It was an hour drive to the nearest city which held the best medical center. His hope was that she was well enough to make it to his home and by then the roads would be in better shape for traveling.

His decision made, Shane turned on his heel and crossed the kitchen to slide open the pantry door. He paused as his eyes scanned the shelves, thinking of the many times he had restocked the items here. His habit was to donate the food to a shelter before it expired, and then shop for replacements. There were boxes of rice and pasta, jars of fruits and vegetables, bags of flour and sugar. Typical finds in any kitchen, he imagined. Like the rest of the cottage, Shane maintained the organization of the pantry identically as it was kept by the kitchen's original owner. Ilsa had kept her cottage immaculate, and the pantry reflected her tidy housekeeping. The items on the shelves were aligned in perfectly straight, neat columns. The arrangement of the foodstuffs made sense. There were dry goods on one shelf, canned items on another; vegetables together on one side, fruits on the opposite end, and so on.

Suddenly his gaze landed on a number of boxes and cans, grouped together on the shelf at his eye level. Several specific items were set apart from the rest, and tilted ever so slightly to cause them to stand apart. While shaking his head in disbelief at the dozens of times he had purchased the groceries and rearranged them just so, Shane reached up and took them down off of the shelf. He gathered them together and walked to the counter by the stove where he set down the chicken broth, tea and sugar cubes. He paused for a moment and then returned to the pantry and retrieved the final item which resided with these things, a box of graham crackers.

Ilsa, was there anything that you didn't know? Shane thought, as he reached into a drawer and withdrew a can opener. He then made quick work of heating the broth and brewing the tea. He placed a steaming hot cup of broth and another cup of tea on a tray, along with a saucer that held several of the crackers and some of the sugar cubes. He carried the tray into the living room and set it down on the coffee table before he went to the fireplace to stoke the steady flames and embers there. A sound at his back caught his attention and he turned to see his mate had awakened. She had raised herself into a sitting position and was watching him with distrustful eyes. She followed his every move until he realized her focus was on the sharp iron poker he held in his hand. Slowly, he lowered his arm and returned the poker to the stand which housed the fireplace tools. He then stepped to the tray and lifted the heavy mug containing the broth and held it out to her. He saw her eyebrow arch as she studied the contents of the tray, and she gave him a confused look as she accepted the broth.

"Thank you," she croaked, and he nodded silently. The rumble of her congestion concerned him greatly, and he studied her intently as he took a seat on the edge of a chair close enough to observe her, but far enough away as to not crowd her. She blew gently on the broth to cool it before taking a small sip. After several long moments had passed, she wrapped her hands fully around the warmth of the mug and fixed him with a curious stare. "I don't get you," she said.

"Ask anything you like, and I will answer honestly," was his reply. He rested his arms on his knees, and then leaned forward slightly. He was hoping the smaller he appeared in size, the less threatened she might feel. Her very next words quickly dispelled that illusion from his mind.

"Are you going to kill me?" she asked bluntly, before taking another sip from her cup.

Shane inhaled a sharp breath, forcing himself to not overreact. He shook his head and knew she was watching his every move. "I could never hurt you, nor will I allow you to come to any harm. Not so long as I am able to prevent it."

"Then I am free to leave?"

Shane felt his wolf object, demanding he never lose her again. He paused to gain control of the feral part of him and then shook his head. "You are quite ill. You need to see doctor." Shane couldn't wait to get back to the civilization of his home, so he could call the one human physician he trusted enough to tend to his mate's sickness.

Without missing a beat, she nodded back at him, "I will. I have a doctor. So I can go?"

Shane was grateful for his patience. It allowed him to calmly rebuff her once more, even though his wolf was yet again snarling inside of him. "You are not well enough to travel on your own. And it is still dreadfully cold out in the forest. When you feel strong enough, we will journey to my house a few miles from here, and then I will take you to the medical center in the city."

He saw her blink in confusion as she looked around the room and then back at him. She leaned forward and set her cup back onto the tray. "This isn't your place?" she asked.

Sorrow filled his heart as he looked into her eyes, her beautiful silver eyes. "Technically yes, I own this cottage. However it once belonged to my very dear friends."

"Not anymore?" she asked innocently, as she looked over the room once again.

Shane rubbed his hands together briefly before answering her, "No, they are deceased." Saying those words out loud had never hurt him so much as it did today. His heart twisted further in his chest as a look of pure sympathy crossed his mate's face.

She took a small breath before nodding in understanding. "I'm sorry about your friends," she told him.

The genuine honesty in her voice touched him deeply. He nodded sadly, "So am I."

Shane then watched as she leaned forward once more to inspect the tray, the look of disbelief once again dancing over her pretty features. She reached for the cup of tea and dropped in a single sugar cube. He watched intently as she picked up the delicate teaspoon and dipped it into the teacup. She stirred with her left hand, he noted. As each moment passed, he was more and more certain that she was not only his mate, but the long-believed dead child of Ilsa and Gregor. There were so many things he was yearning to ask of her, yet he didn't know quite where to begin.

"Aren't you going to have anything?" she asked suddenly, in the way people did when trying to change a sad subject. He shook his head silently, and watched as she took a sip of the spiced tea. His breath hitched in his throat as she smiled appreciatively. It was the first time he saw her smile, and it was the loveliest sight he could remember seeing in a long, long while. "I love this tea," she said, "It reminds of me of India."

"You've been?" Shane asked, eager to know as much about her as possible.

"Twice," she said with obvious pride. "That's where I was the first time I had this tea. I have it at home, but I've never met anyone else to have it on hand. At least I don't often see it."

Shane found himself nodding in understanding. While chai tea had recently become popular in trendy coffee houses, it wasn't always the case. He had no doubt Ilsa foresaw her daughter's taste for the exotic tea and that's why it was in the pantry. Shane himself panicked a few years prior when he could not find it in any local market. Desperate to maintain the contents of the cottage to perfection, he tracked down a supplier across the country to have it shipped to him. When he saw his mate's obvious pleasure at the taste of the tea, he instantly knew he would be ordering many more boxes for a very long time.

He wanted to ask her a thousand questions, starting with what had happened to her and why was she out in the wilderness during such horrid weather. The beast inside him snapped angrily at that thought, and while his human side saw the importance in such a thing, he knew he had to keep things level for the moment. So far, she seemed trusting of him. Of course she was intent on getting away from him, which he steadfastly objected to. However, he knew he had to take things slowly for now. If he overwhelmed her or demanded she answer too many things at once, he knew he could lose her yet again. He kept this in mind as he watched her break off a corner of a graham cracker and nibble at the edge.

"I like these too," she announced with another one of those small smiles. And Shane nodded dumbly once again. Of course she did.

* * *

For Erin and Logan, breakfast was a tense affair. Today they sat alone at the table in the kitchen. Normally, they dined with Shane and discussed the matters at hand for the day. This morning though, was another day Shane was not home, and it stressed Erin greatly. The only other person who technically resided under the Alpha's roof was Kevin, though he was a very early riser, and had long since had his meal and began his day.

It was pack tradition for the immediate family of the Alpha to share living quarters. It had been so for hundreds of years in Ireland, and when Aiden Kellen immigrated with his pack to the United States in the early 20th century, he insisted the tradition remain. Clearly the largest building on pack lands, the house belonging to the Alpha boasted plenty of bedrooms, seemingly more than they might ever fill. Upon arriving in the United States with his pack the former Alpha, Aiden Kellen, secured land in a remote location. He then set about constructing the houses with the help of the pack's strongest males. In the end there were close to three dozen houses built in the complex.

Aiden and his family resided in largest of them all. His personal quarters were located in a suite on the third floor which he shared with his mate, Lareina. The pair was blessed with five cubs, though only two would accompany their arrival to the States. Their first born was an anomaly in that he was born to a litter of his own. Practically from birth, the cub possessed his father's willpower and strength and was also the only cub that would inherit the dark coloring of his mother. He was given the name Shane Rian Kellen, and when he was born the pack celebrated the birth of the young Alpha. He was the only cub belonging to the couple for ten years, when his mother delivered a litter of twin males, named Torrin and Tavis. 45 years after delivering her first born, Lareina delivered her final litter which consisted of a male named Egan and the only female born to the pair, who instantly captured all their hearts, Erin.

In the present day Shane moved, albeit begrudgingly, into the third floor suite when he ascended as Alpha after Aiden's death. Erin resided in a suite on the second floor with her mate. Of the other siblings, Tavis had perished in a battle among the packs years before the transition overseas. His twin Torrin chose to remain in Ireland where he was an acting Beta in his mate's pack. The final sibling, Egan, had also perished at a young age. Erin often admitted to still being able to feel him, though he was gone now for centuries. With so many empty suites in the home, Logan's twin brother, Kevin, had taken a room on the second floor also, as he and Logan were the only remaining wolves in their line.

IrishBelle
IrishBelle
144 Followers
12