Visions Unveiled Ch. 06

Story Info
A breakthrough.
9.2k words
4.76
12.8k
26

Part 7 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 08/02/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
IrishBelle
IrishBelle
144 Followers

6.

A breakthrough.

Logan watched as his Alpha emerged from the forest, carrying what looked to be an injured girl in his arms. Stunned for a moment, he quickly tried to calculate all the possible explanations. Swiftly, he turned and headed for the back door while calling for his brother at the top of his voice. "Stay here," he said to Erin before opening the door and walking onto the back porch just as Shane took the first step.

Without stopping his forward movement, Shane gave him a sharp nod. "I need a car. Make it the Jeep."

Before Logan could respond, Shane entered the house, where he passed a bewildered Erin. He didn't pause as he made his way down the hall. "Erin, call Dr. Weiss. Tell him I am on my way and need to see him. Tell him it is an emergency."

Logan and Erin shared a brief glance before following Shane down the hall and into his study. They watched as he crossed the room and gently placed the girl on a chaise. He straightened and removed the coat he wore and tossed it without thought onto a nearby chair, his eyes never leaving the girl. Once he was free of the coat he sat on the edge of the lounge beside her and placed his wrist against her forehead, as if checking her temperature.

"Shane," Logan began, "What is happening? Who is this? There is much we need to discuss with you."

When Shane lifted his eyes and spoke, Logan was momentarily shocked at the intensity coming from the Alpha. "Did I not make myself clear? Erin, Dr. Weiss. Logan, my Jeep.Now,Logan!"

Logan heard his mate suck in her breath beside him. He too could not recall the last time Shane had spoken so sharply to anyone, and it did not bode well. She recovered quickly and brushed Logan's arm as she moved around him. "Heed him, please," she whispered to her mate as she walked to Shane's desk, picked up the phone and began to dial. "Dr. Weiss has retired, Shane, I may not get an answer at his practice," it was the tone one might use to explain something exceedingly simple to a young child.

"He will see me," Shane replied tersely.

Logan held perfectly still as he watched his mate take a deep breath before she said, "And I am to tell him it's an emergency. You are bringing someone in for him to examine, correct?"

Shane nodded absently, still never looking away from the girl's face, "Yes. My mate."

A sharp crack resounded off of the desk as Erin dropped the phone and spun towards her brother."Your mate?!"

When Shane looked up and saw Logan still in the room, his agitation increased. "Logan, I swear if you -" he suddenly broke off at the appearance of Kevin in the room, who was there to answer his brother's earlier summons. "You," Shane addressed Kevin, his tone pure ice, "Don't you dare take a step closer."

Kevin was completely innocent of all that had happened in the short minutes since Shane's return. All he saw was what looked to him to be an injured person, and his drive to heal kicked in. He obeyed his Alpha's command by stopping where he was, though he couldn't resist his nature. "Is she hurt?" he asked, "I am sure I can help."

Logan said a silent prayer when he heard the deep growl coming from Shane's throat. It was a sound he had heard countless times standing beside the Alpha while in battle, though it was always directed at the enemy. Logan wanted to speak on his brother's behalf, but when Shane shifted his stance, he knew it was best to keep perfectly still. He watched with wide eyes as their Alpha lowered his body and placed his arms on either side of the girl below him. Shane rested his weight on his hands and squared his upper body over hers, never once taking his eyes off of Kevin. It was an aggressive stance, a possessive claim of protection. The growling continued as Shane braced himself over the female. Logan had little doubt that should the ceiling suddenly cave in, the girl would have been completely shielded by Shane's powerful body.

When Shane spoke to Kevin again, Logan recognized the deathly tone the Alpha reserved for his enemies. "You will never,evertouch her again."

Kevin frowned as he pondered Shane's words, "Again, Alpha? Is this someone I should know?"

Shane's growls were becoming louder, more threatening. The deep brown of Shane's eyes began to bleed towards gold. Logan suddenly held his arm out towards his brother. "Kevin, don't move. Don't even speak."

"Was it you, Kevin?" Shane asked, as he smoothly navigated his way over the girl and stepped slowly towards where Kevin remained standing. "Are you one of those who Ilsa warned would keep her from me?" Shane's steps were slow, dangerous and threatening.

Kevin lowered his eyes in submission, though he had never been the object of Shane's wrath before, he knew full well the signs. "I would never hide anything – or anyone - from you."

Logan's heart was beginning to race, as he watched Shane advance on his brother. He knew he was powerless to stop this, should it take a turn. "Kevin, I told you to keepsilent!"

Kevin snapped his eyes towards Logan, "You would have me disregard a direct question from our Alpha?"

Logan watched as Shane slowly narrowed his eyes and turned them back towards him. The smile Shane gave him was chilling. "Your twin fears I am unstable, Kevin." Shane's eyes slowly turned back towards his target as he advanced again, "Does he have good cause? Is it true, that you have betrayed this pack? Did you plot to keep my mate from me?"

Kevin swallowed and his eyes skipped towards the chaise and rested on the unconscious girl lying there. His voice became barely a whisper, "Alpha, your mate?"

Logan felt Erin, who had remained silent through all of this, slowly approaching him from behind. He reached back his hand towards her and she took his and squeezed it gently. Finally she spoke up, "With respect, Shane, Kevin is your friend. He has always been. He would never betray you."

It was disturbing how even the sound of Erin's voice couldn't get through to Shane. Logan held his breath as Shane tilted his head as he considered Kevin, the small smile remained and Logan was suddenly worried for Shane's sanity. Had Erin been right the night before? Were these the signs of an Alpha coming undone? Logan's concern deepened when he heard the Alpha issue a short, bitter laugh before saying, "Withrespect, sister, I disagree." With that, Shane's arm shot forward, grabbing Kevin by the throat and pinning him to the wall.

Though Kevin's nature was by far gentler than his, Logan knew his brother was not, nor had he ever been a weak wolf. He knew that while Kevin could not win in a battle against the Alpha, he was strong enough to withstand until hopefully Shane saw reason. Kevin reached his hand up and gripped Shane's forearm tightly, forcing Shane to relax his grasp. It allowed Kevin to catch a brief breath. This comforted Logan slightly, but he did not have high hopes when he saw the color of Shane's eyes change completely to the deep gold of the wolf.

"Shane!" Erin quickly went to her brother's side, "Stop this. If you hurt him, you will regret it."

Shane's fury had him trembling with rage. The air in the room even seemed unstable as magic rippled around him. He was visibly resisting the change from man to wolf, rendering his power tangible in the room. Lights which were not on flickered and books on shelves rattled.

"You let me believe herdead!" Shane growled, as he tightened his hold on Kevin.

"Alpha, no," Kevin answered, knowing now that Shane was referring to the night his mate was born. "She stopped breathing. She was gone."

"She lives!" Shane insisted, "Thirty-three years she has lived in terror. By making an example out of you, I will send a message to the others." Shane's bright eyes sharpened as they focused intently on Kevin's. "You pronounced herdead. You robbed me of my mate and caused her a life of fear. You failed her. And in failing her, you have failed me." Shane's claws began to lengthen, digging dangerously into the flesh of Kevin's throat.

Logan knew he was running out of time. He steeled himself as he placed his hand on Shane's arm. "Alpha please, listen to yourself." Shane's free arm violently struck out towards Logan, knocking him to the floor. Righting himself, Logan looked towards his mate and fear instantly took him. She had sunk down onto the floor and was rocking slightly, as tears flowed down her face. He opened his connection to her and gasped as he felt as the many emotions which were paralyzing her flow towards him. She was fighting off the intensity of Shane's blind rage, Kevin's confusion and his own fear for his brother's life at the same time. The emotions of the day had been relentless for Erin, from the feelings of the stranger which assaulted her all day and had now escalated into this altercation. It was crippling for Erin, and her sobs were quickly turning to tortured cries. Logan gently gathered her into his arms. "Erin, I will take you from here, and then I will come back for Kevin," he whispered.

She shook her head violently, "No! There isn't time, Shane is not in control."

Logan nodded sadly as he looked up to where Kevin was still fighting for his life. He briefly made eye contact with his brother, hoping this wasn't an eternal farewell, and that is when he witnessed the bravest thing he had ever seen in his life. After Kevin's eyes met his own, they went to Erin in sympathy. Suddenly, Kevin dropped his arms and ceased his struggle against Shane. "Alpha," Kevin rasped, "Please, have mercy. Not for me, but on my brother, and on his mate."

The sudden lack of struggle seemed to interest the beast in charge of Shane at the moment, and he relented slightly, allowing Kevin a much needed breath. Kevin went on, "If you deem my life forfeit, I will go with you, willingly into the forest, and my life is yours to end. But please, don't force my brother and Erin to see it. They are the only family I have, and I cannot leave this world knowing I caused them such suffering."

Slowly, the gold began to recede from Shane's eyes, giving way to deep brown, and his claws retracted as well. He suddenly released Kevin's throat and spun around when he realized the shrill sound he was hearing in the room was Erin's tormented sobbing. When Shane reached for Erin, Logan instantly released her and watched as Shane held her, attempting to ease her hysterical cries. Logan breathed a sigh of relief when he saw that Shane had regained himself, and he was grateful when he saw Shane brush Erin's temple with his fingertips, "Sleep, sister mine," Shane whispered to her, and clung to her as her body obeyed instantly. Tears of shame flowed from Shane's eyes as he lifted his sister, his eyes intent on her face. After a long moment, he extended her towards Logan, who accepted her into his arms. "Please," Shane said to him, "Take care of her."

Logan nodded silently, unable to form words. He looked uncertainly towards Kevin, where he was breathing heavily against the wall, not having moved since Shane had released him. When Kevin nodded at him, Logan felt the danger had fully passed, and carried Erin out of the room.

* * *

Once he made his way to the city, Justin boarded a bus that took him directly downtown. He hadn't slept, and his once soaked clothes now clung to his body in wrinkled disarray. The disheveled appearance allowed him to blend in with the other less fortunate occupants on the bus, and he lost himself in his own thoughts. The cold didn't bother him, but he was tired and uncomfortable, and his foul mood worsened when he realized the bus had arrived at his destination. With a sigh he rose from his seat and exited through the rear double doors.

Justin paused on the sidewalk where he looked up at the towering high-rise before him. Unable to put it off any longer, he took a breath and entered the building, proceeding through the lobby towards the elevators. In his rumpled clothing he did not fit in with the well-dressed occupants of the elegant building, and he returned more than a few distasteful looks with withering sneers of his own.

Arriving at the elevator, he pushed the call button and watched as the lights above signaled that the lift car was indeed descending. The bell chimed, announcing the car's arrival and when the doors slid open Justin stepped inside, grateful that the car was empty save for the uniformed lift operator.

"Which floor, sir?" the operator prompted.

Justin sighed and then answered without so much as meeting the man's eyes, "The penthouse."

* * *

Shane watched Logan carry his sister out of the room with a heavy heart. He felt completely unhinged. Never in all his years had he ever come apart in such a disgraceful manner. And to think he had caused pain to his own family was beyond the pale. He hung his head for a long moment and then taking a deep breath, he raised his eyes to meet Kevin's. He expected to be met with a stare of hatred and disgust. Yet Kevin's blue gaze held none of those things. The Beta's eyes were the same as they ever were, full of concern for those around him. Shane did not feel he deserved such concern.

"Can you ever forgive me?" Shane asked.

Although Kevin's injury had begun to heal, traces of blood were still present on his neck, and had stained the top of his shirt. He took a breath before shaking his head. "There is nothing to forgive."

When Shane made a sound of disbelief, Kevin went on. "Alpha, you have been living a long time, tormented with grief over the loss of your mate. You endure year after year, in your own silent pain, and have never allowed the pack to comfort you. You have never healed. Instead, you have kept your loss and your anger bottled inside for so many years. It was only a matter of time before you lashed out."

Shane began to move, unconsciously back towards the chaise, where the girl had slept through the commotion. Shane was thankful she was unaware of the shameful thing he had just done. "I could have killed you," he admitted in a sorrowful voice.

Kevin sighed, the hint of relief present in his voice, "Yet you did not."

By now, Shane had made his way to his mate's side, where he placed his hand against her highly fevered head.

"Alpha Kellen," Kevin said in a calm, very respectful tone, "Would you have me go?"

Shane looked up, his face clouded with worries. "Please, stay if you will."

Kevin nodded, "Of course. What is it you need? The Jeep if I heard correctly?"

Shane shook his head, "No, that wont be necessary." He took another deep breath before raising his eyes and spoke again. "Kevin, this is my mate and her name is Faline," Shane gently brushed her hair back from her head, "She is very ill. Will you please help her?"

Nodding, Kevin began to step forward before realizing just how damp and bloody his shirt actually was. He paused before getting too close and lowered his head, "I must change beforehand, my Alpha."

Shane raised his eyes, noticing Kevin's shed blood for the first time, and he felt his face turn pale. He nodded, glad for his Beta's wisdom. "Of course," Shane said, "I wish to move her upstairs. Please, find us there."

Shane looked up to see Kevin bow his head slightly before backing out of the room. When Kevin was gone Shane lifted the small girl into his arms once again and carried her up the stairs.

* * *

The elevator opened to the private lobby of the penthouse, and Justin stepped straight to the ornate wooden door where he knocked with a confidence he didn't entirely feel. Moments later, the door swung open to reveal a hulking form. The Beta who greeted Justin was easily twice his size, and immediately mocked him with a false smile. "Why if it isn't the Irish whelp. You look like hell, kid. Did Kellen finally hang you out to dry?"

Justin clenched his teeth to resist saying something that would get his neck snapped. "I am here to see your Alpha, not have a social call with you, Jeff. Is he here?" He prepared to hold his ground as the Beta advanced slightly towards him.

"Alpha Danvers was expecting you days ago, where have you been?" Jeff asked while eying Justin's dirty clothes and unwashed hair.

"I was delayed," Justin answered. When Jeff regarded him with only a cold stare, Justin decided this wasn't the best time for this meeting. He would come back later or tomorrow, after finding a way to clean up first. He turned back towards the door, "Since I take it your Alpha isn't in, I will see myself out."

As he reached for the door handle, Jeff grabbed his shoulder and slammed his back into the wall, easily holding him in place. "I never said he wasn't here, kid."

Justin struggled to gain his freedom, and when it didn't work he lifted his heel and stomped down as hard as he could manage onto Jeff's foot. Justin knew it was a childish and desperate defense, but it worked if only momentarily. Jeff hissed in pain and retreated slightly before backhanding Justin, effectively splitting open his cheek. Jeff had just balled his hand into a fist when a deep voice interrupted, causing his arm to freeze in midair. "Must you always manhandle my visitors, Jeffrey?"

Though he smiled, Jeff's green eyes remained hardened as he grinned down at Justin and stepped away from him. When he was released Justin looked over to see that Jeff's Alpha had fully entered the room. Dressed in an immaculately tailored suit and with his dark hair precisely combed, Grant Danvers looked every bit the mogul he was. He was equally as powerful in the business world as he appeared to be, not to mention he possessed a bloodlust unlike Justin had ever known before. Standing over six feet, three inches and solidly built, Justin knew this Alpha had an inclination to be a cold-blooded killer. When his gaze met Justin's he too smiled, though like that of his Beta, the smile never reached his eyes.

"Apologies, Alpha Danvers," Jeff said, "I must have lost my temper."

Justin watched warily as the Alpha nodded, as if he were a proud father, "It's understandable. This pup brings that out in the best of us. You may leave us, Jeffrey." Justin winced slightly at the obvious insult, though he knew to hold his tongue.

Though Jeff nodded, he didn't make an effort to leave. "If you don't mind, Alpha, I would like to remain. I don't trust this one."

Grant chuckled as he made his way to the table where a breakfast service was set out and proceeded to pour a cup of coffee for himself. "That's interesting to hear Jeffrey, might I inquire as to why?"

Jeff shrugged slightly as he fixed Justin with a glare. "He willingly sold his own Alpha down the river. If he is capable of such betrayal to his Alpha, his cousin no less, what's to say he wouldn't double cross you?"

Grant sipped his coffee thoughtfully for a moment before he smiled again at his Beta. "You make a valid point Jeffrey, but I will have this meeting in private nonetheless. You are dismissed."

Though he wasn't happy with his orders Jeff bowed to his Alpha before exiting the room through a hallway that led towards the back of the penthouse. Despite his dislike for Jeff, Justin realized upon his departure he was now alone with one of the most sinister werewolves in existence, and he was right to be slightly uneasy.

* * *

Kevin rushed through the fastest shower of his life, and by the time he turned off the spray of water, his throat had completely healed itself. He hastily pulled on a clean pair of jeans and t-shirt. His hair was still wet and his skin was damp underneath his clothes, but he was in a hurry. The Alpha claimed the girl he'd brought with him was his mate and she was sick. Kevin would have felt the urge to help her regardless of who she was, but if she was indeed the Alpha's mate, then she deserved nothing short of the best care he could provide. Kevin would not sully her by wearing ruined clothing in her presence. For one it was unsanitary, and that would counteract any treatment he gave to her. He also had too much respect for his Alpha to give less than his best effort, and that meant in no way examining his chosen mate while wearing contaminated clothing.

IrishBelle
IrishBelle
144 Followers