Visions Unveiled Ch. 08

Story Info
An unveiling.
13.1k words
4.77
9.3k
20

Part 9 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 08/02/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
IrishBelle
IrishBelle
144 Followers

*Author's Note: After what has been one of the worst years of my life, I have picked up and started again. We have moved more than once, started again from scratch, and are slowly getting back on our feet. Sadly, I was unable to focus on my writing during this time, and I missed it greatly. Once I was able to devote time to my creative endeavors, then came issues with technology, etc.

All in all, this is just a wordy way of apologizing for this chapter having taken forever. I have not forgotten this tale, and I have no intention of leaving it undone. These characters are engrained much too deeply in my heart, and there is so much more to this story which I am also anxious to share.

I hope you can please excuse the long overdue chapter, and also have patience with me for the next. Thank you also for words of encouragement, e-mails and feedback through this very long year.

An additional comment on my writing style for this chapter: I have a favorite author who uses time beautifully in his books. He has a technique of telling parts of a story both backwards and forwards at the same time, and eventually the two cross somewhere in the middle. It's quite magical and I have admired this technique for years. It has inspired me to try to humbly emulate his genius. I hope this is not confusing to follow. I have used italics within the body of this chapter to help illustrate what I've done.

Feedback and thoughts as always are treasured.

Ever,

~ib*

*****

8.

An unveiling

Shane gripped the steering wheel firmly as he eased the Jeep down the darkened main road of the village where Faline lived with Sophie. The pavement was still slick with residual ice, and so he was all the more cautious as he slowed the vehicle before carefully turning once he reached the corner. Here, the pavement was mostly clear, and so Shane chanced as quick glance sideways towards the passenger seat.

Her hands were laced together in her lap, her fingers twisting furiously as she sat staring straight ahead through the windshield. When she felt his eyes upon her, she looked over to meet his gaze, but said nothing. From the corner of his eye he noticed her fingers clenched tightly together, signaling her growing anxiety. Thinking back over the last few hours, Shane could only nod in understanding. As his eyes returned to the road, he dropped one hand from the wheel and reached for hers. He thought again of all they had just been through, and all he had just seen. Shane could think of only one thing to say, but the words didn't seem to be enough. Sadly though, it was all he had, and so as his fingers connected with hers he said them anyway. "We'll find her."

Though she nodded slightly, Faline still did not speak. Once again, his mind tripped back to earlier in the evening. As his large hand settled to cover both of hers, he vividly recalled the moment when she had raised those very hands against him.

* * *

Shane could feel the wildness of the wolf taking hold of him. He had tried to be patient with his mate. So far he had made every possible effort to reassure her that she was safe while with him. Since the moment he first saw her, he had put her needs before his own. She had come first. Before his sister, his nearest friend, and even his entire pack as a whole. That she could lash out so was staggering. To a point he could understand her distrust, but he had done nothing to deserve this reaction.

He was also amazed by the fact that she had created a barrier between them. The air seemed to buzz and crackle, similar to the way the sky behaved moments before a lightning storm. It was clear that his mate could wield very powerful magic. But the fact that she had used this gift to block him was an affront which set the wolf into a defensive frenzy.

A dozen images flooded his mind as the wolf rushed forward. His wolf worried a threat could befall his mate, and with the wall between them, how could he protect her? What if the danger she feared was truly after Sophie came for her now and he could not defend her because of this barrier she'd raised out of thin air? What if Justin appeared now from the forest as Logan worried he might? Perhaps even a random wild creature could mistake her unnatural powers as threatening and respond by attacking.

Shane clenched his teeth as the wolf's imagination ran rampant and a loud growl rumbled from his chest. This was not happening, the wolf insisted. Not after thirty-three years of anguish. Thirty-three years of emptiness. Decades of torment. Endless days of grieving. Countless dark nights of agony. All that he had endured would not end like this, not with his mate edging away from him as if he were the enemy. All of the years of thinking his mate had perished in his arms, and the tears he'd shed. The sadness of burying her father, another kindred soul lost to him. All of the suffering only to then learn that she'd lived after all. And yet, she could so easily walk away from him, without so much as letting him explain his actions.

He'd managed to hold on to the thin thread of his humanity for this long, but the wolf was tired of the man's methods. All that achieved so far was the reality that his mate was choosing to flee while calling upon magic to help her evade him.

Another growl tore through him and his eyes began to burn molten hot as he watched his mate stepping further and further away. She was his and she had been denied to him for far too long. He would let nothing come between them ever again. No man. No wolf. Not her. And most certainly not some protection enchantment. He was the Alpha. This female belonged to him. And nothing was going to keep her from him. Ever. Again.

And with that, the wolf threw his head back and howled. It was a sharp cry which split the night air, signaling to all creatures within miles that the Alpha would no longer be denied ...

* * *

Faline found the soft leather seat of the Jeep comforting. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. The warmth of Shane's hand upon her own helped to calm her, and she noticed the tremors subsiding slightly. She wanted to cry, to be sick, and to hide away from this nightmare forever. But Sophie was missing, the shop destroyed. The guilt she felt was overwhelming, but deep inside she knew that dwelling on negative feelings was counterproductive. Wallowing in her own misery would not bring Sophie back any sooner. Taking another breath, she drew from a well of strength deep inside and shored up her mental walls.

Over the last hours Shane had more than proven his claim that she was safe while with him and that he cared for her deeply. It was humbling, especially now that he was once again soothing her with the reassuring touch of his hand against hers. She was not certain she deserved such open comforting, but she was grateful for his calming gesture nonetheless.

She looked towards Shane and could tell by his clenched jaw that he too was struggling with something. His eyes were focused on his driving, but she could tell from studying his profile that he was uneasy, despite his confident words to her. When she felt his fingertips begin to gently caress her knuckles, she looked down and studied his hand. It was hard to believe that a hand capable of such tenderness could cause the damage she'd earlier witnessed. Shane's sharp claws now came to mind, appendages which were more animal than human, tearing into an enemy. The blood he'd effortlessly spilled as he ripped into the flesh of the other wolf, all to protect her.

She thought back over the last days, remembering how compassionate and gentle he had been with her. But now she realized just how lethal a predator he could be. There was no denying he was every bit the Alpha he claimed to be. Without a doubt he was the most powerful, fierce and deadly werewolf she'd ever come across. And yet for the first time in her life, a Were had used his enhanced strength to defend and protect her, rather than to threaten and harm.

By now she had seen him shift twice, though only into his hybrid form both times. The second time was just recently in Sophie's shop where he fought against the members of the other pack which they assumed had taken Sophie. But earlier in the evening, the first time he'd shifted, was when they were in the clearing as she tried to escape him. When she'd attempted to block him with a spell.

* * *

Faline's eyes widened in shock as Shane changed almost instantly before her eyes. One moment he was there, just beyond the transparent barrier she'd raised, looking like a concerned and perplexed man. She kept her gaze locked upon his face and she could practically see each thought and emotion he was having. What appeared to be a worried expression soon gave way to irritation, which changed almost immediately into a look of fierce desperation. She froze in place when his eyes suddenly turned bright gold and a piercing howl tore from this throat. She had never been so close to that sound, and it was both startling and compelling at the same time.

His arms flung outwards and his head aimed skyward as the shrill howl reached its crescendo. Before it was done, his body began to heave. His limbs lengthened. Muscles of his neck, arms and legs thickened. The seams of his clothing split, giving way to his larger form. Sharp teeth and claws began to show themselves as his face contorted.

She realized almost immediately that his shift would not complete itself, but Faline knew full well how dangerous a Were in hybrid form could be. Wolf or not, she felt confident that the spell she'd chanted would continue to protect her. After a brief halting of her steps, she flexed her fingers outwards slightly to reinforce the wall, and began backing away from him once again.

Her retreat proved to be a mistake. The moment she began to move Shane's head snapped toward her, his sharp, golden eyes piercing into her own. Despite his appearance being that of a hulking beast, his eyes betrayed a keen intelligence. She was aware that he was cataloguing her every move, down to the very breaths she was taking.

Faline watched as his pack mates slowly took position behind him. The twins flanked him, one to each side. Though they retained their human form they appeared at the ready. It was Erin who approached Shane. His sister stood close by his side, and Faline could see the redhead whispering words that Shane shook off. Beyond them, other werewolves began to appear at the fringes of the clearing. Faline recognized none of their faces, but she was certain that they must have arrived to answer their Alpha's baying call.

She knew she could not afford to show any fear. Signs of terror would only excite a predator. Faline had confidence in the protection spell she'd conjured and so she began stepping backwards again, more swiftly this time. Her only intent was escaping the werewolf whose gaze was locked upon her ...

* * *

"You killed him, that wolf."

Shane was surprised to hear the sound of her voice, as Faline had been silent since before he took her away from the shop. He wasn't certain where she was leading with her observation and so he decided to keep his response simple, "I did. My only regret is that you had to witness it."

"He was one of your kind," Faline said, her voice small.

Shane gave a slight shrug as he was driving. "He threatened you."

She was quiet for a few moments more before he heard her take a shaking breath. "And so you killed him? Just like that?"

"He intended you harm. I would end a thousand lives without remorse, if they dared to hurt you. I protect mine at all costs."

At this, he could feel the weight of her stare upon him. He slowed and down-shifted the Jeep as they approached a red light and once the vehicle stopped, he turned to look into her eyes. "I don't take death lightly Faline, so please don't think that is the case. But I will always defend my pack without question. That wolf deserved to die for the words he spoke to you, and the move he made to seize you. His death will send the message to his alpha that I will not abide the taking of any of my family by his pack. Even if it means a war, I am prepared to fight it. My pack may have decreased in size since my father's death, but that does not mean another pack can just take from me at whim. I will not allow it. If it takes the slaying of a dishonorable wolf to convey that message, I will accept whatever consequences may follow."

Faline shook her head slowly. "I don't understand. Sophie is my mother. She is of no relation to you. How is that taking from your pack?"

The light changed from red to green and so Shane shifted his attention to the street once more, his jaw clenched. He slowly eased the Jeep forward before giving a pointed nod. "Her abduction is an affront to me, and that is taking from my pack. You are under my protection, which makes you part of my pack. By default, that now includes Sophie, and anyone else you cherish."

Faline paused for a moment, absorbing the weight of his words. Finally she spoke again. "You call me part of your pack but I am not a werewolf, nor is Sophie. Is this because of your friendship with my parents?"

"Yes," Shane answered immediately. "I vowed to Ilsa that I would protect you. Your parents were good people, and I was proud to count them as part of my pack while they lived within my territory. That connection now extends to you and your loved ones. I made a promise to Ilsa that once you came into my life, I would help you without question. I never go back on my promises. I protect my pack, always. And none of you can just be taken from me. If Danvers thinks so, he is dead wrong."

"Danvers?" Faline asked.

Shane nodded again, "Grant Danvers. Reigning alpha of the pack which I am certain took Sophie. Those were his cretins we fought. And Luna help him, if Sophie is in anything but perfect health once we find her."

"Is that where we are going now?" Faline asked hopefully.

Shane shook his head quickly. "No, not just yet. I need to form a solid plan. Logan needs stitches, though I am sure Kevin will have him patched up by the time we make it back. I have to arrange for scouts to find Justin. And then we all need rest. I know you are worried for Sophie, but Danvers won't hurt her. He must have taken her for a reason, and so he will keep her safe until he thinks he can trade her for whatever it is he's after. He's a dangerous bastard, but he's not stupid. That will buy us some time for me to formulate a plan, get you to safety, and allow us some rest."

* * *

In a brief moment, Faline realized that she needed to alter her entire outlook of what she knew about werewolves to be true. If she thought she'd seen a large one before, she hadn't. If she thought she'd previously outrun fast wolves before, she didn't. If she thought she had encountered power before now, she was mistaken.

After issuing his howl, Shane's golden eyes bore straight into her, through the barrier. His eyes were bright and they had her halting her steps. As his intense gaze locked onto her she slowly understood that he was sending an important message. His eyes implored her to let her guard down and to cease her retreat, as the man he was moments prior had asked of her. If she was wise, she would have heeded those eyes. Instead, she gave in to her lifetime of fear by keeping the barrier in place, and resuming her steps backward.

It was a mistake, for the moment she began moving, the wolf leapt into action. 'Fast' was nowhere near close to the word needed to describe his fluid movements. The wolf rushed forward against the barrier with what she could only think of as a liquid grace. A moment before he would have hit the wall, the wolf swung his clawed hand forward, slashing his razor sharp talons into the thickened air. Behind him, his betas braced themselves, preparing for whatever was to come next.

Faline held her breath as she watched the hybrid wolf Shane had become attack the wall which separated them. At first, his claws met resistance, but then she noticed his eyes close for a brief moment, and when he reopened them, they were glowing brighter than they had before. No werewolf she had ever encountered had eyes that glowed so brilliantly. He began his assault on the obstacle in his way once again, this time however, the glow extended further than his eyes. Ethereal rays of light appeared to flow around him in slow waves. They circled his body and seeped into the icy ground he was standing on, and into the very air around him. As she watched, the mysterious glow brightened, and it was then that she realized, the light was actually coming from Shane's body.

Magic. He had magic of his own. How could she have missed it before now? As the light gathering around him brightened, she noticed his pack withdrawing slightly. Shane seemed to pause as if he were inhaling deeply. When he moved again, all of the light which had gathered around him concentrated, rushing at once towards his palms. Faline was captivated, and held motionless in awe as she watched his calculated movements. He brought his clawed hands together in a flash and thrust them into her barrier wall. Light seemed to explode as his magic collided with hers. Faline flexed her fingertips and chanted, causing her wall to glow. The perimeter flashed from bright green, to pale blue before her eyes. She increased her efforts, but Faline was quickly becoming drained. She had never felt a force like this. It did not hurt her, it did not harm, it merely wanted in. Faline was giving all she had to keep the wolf outside of the sanctuary she'd created, but she was now tiring and quickly. She glanced beyond the flashing colors of the wall towards the wolf and was alarmed to see he hardly appeared to be making any effort at all. The swirling golden light danced around him now, and while his pack retreated slightly, none appeared alarmed in any way. She instantly knew that what she was witnessing was likely a fraction of the power that this wolf possessed.

Exhaustion was quickly closing in. Faline now looked to the wolf's eyes and saw they were still focused on her. Looking closer now, she saw there was no hatred there, not a trace of malice. Not unlike the man, the wolf's eyes also held a thousand promises of safety, security and belonging. They did not wish her harm. And suddenly, in her heart, she wished to no longer keep the owner of those eyes from her. Though she was now weary, her stubborn mind still maintained her spell, unable to be the one to relent.

She stared into the wolf's eyes, and Faline knew that he could read her so much easier that she seemed to read him. They were at an impasse. But with the exchange between her eyes and his, they finally came to a mutual understanding. The wolf gave a slight nod, and a moment later he leaned further into the blazing wall. Light and heat burst around him as he entered her space. The wall shimmered and crackled before it suddenly gave, splitting apart and evaporating into a prism of multi-colored mist, yielding to the force that was Shane ...

* * *

Shane could not believe that at a time like this, they were shopping. Before taking the exit that would lead to his secluded community, his mate insisted on stopping for what she claimed were necessities. Shane kept pace with her as Faline moved rapidly through the aisles, filling the cart he pushed with various sundries. They were in a 24-hour store, which sold everything from clothing to groceries to automobile tires. In the pharmacy section, Shane sighed as he watched her quickly select a brand of toothpaste and a basic toothbrush before dropping them into the cart.

IrishBelle
IrishBelle
144 Followers