Voyage of Discovery

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thankfully that was not the case," Arielle said softly. "It seems that somebody didn't think I should ever arrive..."

Arielle related the story of her journey and the King's face grew dark and stormy as the true nature of the betrayal became evident.

They both heard the sound of voices. With a gust of wind, the outer door swung open sharply and Lady Miranda swept in on a cloud of acrid perfume. "Your Majesty, I was wondering—" she began ingratiatingly. Then she saw Arielle and her face blanched snow white.

"Miranda my dear, perhaps you would like to be introduced to my bride-to-be, Arielle De Montfort." The King's voice was ice cold as he strode towards the treacherous woman. He grasped hold of her arm and yanked her within spitting distance.

"How dare you interfere in my intended marriage!" he seethed. "I had no intention of ever marrying your niece -- you should have known better than to plot and meddle with my affairs. For this you shall be banished from my land for the rest of your pitiful life."

Miranda's lip wobbled and she began to protest her innocence vociferously.

"GUARDS!" The King yelled at the top of his voice. Several well-armed men came running into the room, their weapons at the ready.

"Please escort the Lady Miranda and her entourage from the city. She is leaving immediately," the King ordered harshly.

Arielle watched with little sympathy as the scheming woman was hauled out of the room, crocodile tears falling in acidic floods. She was lucky to have escaped with her life - as was Arielle when all things were considered.

* * *

Arielle stood on the cliff looking down at the sparkling sea. The sun shone across the turquoise water, reflecting off the glassy surface into a myriad of tiny rainbows. It was a beautiful sight.

Behind her Nico played in the rock pools, his unruly black hair tamed and brushed smooth. Smart clothes had replaced his rags for he was now a part of the royal household. The King had been much impressed with his kindness and had not hesitated in offering the boy a home. Naturally his poor parents had jumped at the chance for their boy to better himself.

Arielle smiled at him before returning to gaze pensively across the bay. This was the morning of her wedding. She had asked for an hour to come down and pay her thanks to the sea for saving her life. It could have been very different if fate had taken a different course.

Soon she would be married to a handsome man who had promised her the world. She was the happiest woman in the entire kingdom at this moment and she felt the excitement bubbling up within her breast. Joyfully she began to sing, the familiar words of her favourite songs flowing off her tongue. The golden notes danced in the warm breeze and floated off across the water like sparkling gems.

A loud splash caught her attention and she looked down, her song interrupted. A dolphin jumped up from out of a wave and whistled at her. Laughing in delight, Arielle clapped her hands joyfully. Her dolphin saviours had returned!

Soon more dolphins leapt and cavorted in the warm water, vying for Arielle's attention. It was a marvellous sight and she was enraptured. Suddenly something flew out of the water and landed at her feet with a wet plop. She stooped to pick up the green seaweed clad lump curiously.

A small hard object within the slimy mass sparkled when the bright sunlight caught it. Arielle carefully pulled the seaweed away, only to reveal the diamond ring that had been stolen from her. She gasped in surprise. How on earth had this turned up now?

She stared in shock at her dolphin friends. "Where did you find this?" she asked them in astonishment, knowing that they could not reply even if they wanted to. They just whistled at her and blew columns of water high into the air jubilantly.

Then as suddenly as the pod had appeared, it was gone again, diving into the blue sea and disappearing beneath the waves. Arielle was left gazing after them with a sense of wonder. Some things could never be explained.

* * *

One week after her marriage to the King of Corinnia, news reached the city of the remains of a ship washed up on a distant shoreline. Several bodies, including that of the Captain, were found trapped amongst the shipwreck. It appeared that the poor unfortunate crew of the good ship, The Desdemona, had met an untimely end at sea.

* * *

Thanks for reading - your vote is appreciated.

12