Voyage of the Istanbul Tigress Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

##

The Ariadne was an efficient, well-run warship. During the first two weeks of the mission the frigate gave chase to a number of small coastal craft. A fast French chasse-marée, unusual outside of the Atlantic, was caught by surprise one morning. A small prize crew was dispatched to raise the English colors and take her back to Gibraltor. Two xebecs were caught, one French and one Spanish, while a third attempted to flee and was quickly dismasted. The remaining crew on that vessel had been taken prisoner and their damaged ship burned. Other coastal craft were inspected, a few which seemed to be legitimate merchants from Istanbul, Boston or Copenhagen. Those were released, while the others were given prize crews or burned depending on the value of their cargo. Two French warships were seen. A frigate refused to close and was ignored, while a larger French two-decker attempted a pursuit and was only eluded after a tight daylong chase. It remained unclear whether the French warships were colluding with the Corsairs.

Twenty days after leaving Gibraltar, just after dawn, a lookout spotted a sail.

Hamilton was on watch and used a telescope to confirm the sighting. In the early morning glow along the horizon it was just possible to see that the vessel was not a ship, but a brig, with two masts.

"Glass!" Baynes yelled.

Hamilton turned quickly and handed the telescope to Captain Baynes. The Captain, wearing only his naval jacket over a night shirt looked for a minute through the telescope and then slammed it shut.

"Mr. Stepford!" Baynes said.

"Yes, sir!" the First Lieutenant yelled as he ran up on deck.

"Lay a course to pass within hail of that vessel, if you please. And we can do with the addition of t'gallants and royals. Make ready with stuns'ls, I'll crack on more if the wind freshens."

"Aye aye, sir," Stepford replied.

"And send word to my steward I will have my breakfast now," the Baynes said as he turned to go below.

"Captain!" Hamilton said suddenly, louder than he wanted to. "Captain, sir, if I may."

"Yes, what is it Mr. Hamilton?"

"I recognize the lines of the chase, sir. I believe that is the brig-sloop I commanded for the Bey of Tunis, sir."

Baynes stared back at Hamilton for a long moment, then nodded and went below.

"What is happening, Edward?" Katherine asked, an hour later, as Hamilton paced along the starboard gangway.

Hamilton touched his hat. "Good morning, Lady Dunsbrooke. We have seen a vessel and seek to intercept. There is nothing to be concerned about."

"Sail ho!" came the cry from aloft. "Two sail!"

"Masthead!" Baynes yelled out from the quarter deck. "Where away?"

"Off the larboard bow, sir! One point and a half! They're hull down, fore-and-aft rigged. They're pulling on the chase, sir!" the lookout yelled.

"Mr. Hamilton!" Baynes yelled.

"Excuse me, Lady Dunsbrooke." Hamilton went to the quarterdeck where Baynes handed him the telescope.

"Mr. Hamilton, you know these people. Why would a pair of luggers be giving chase to your Tunisian brig?"

"Damn," Hamilton said as he scanned along the horizon. "Oh, I'm sorry, sir. Those are not luggers, they're galleys."

"Galleys?"

"War galleys, sir, with their lateen sails set. The brig-sloop was poorly armed, sir, just six guns, and she's no match for even one those galleys."

"Can she outrun them?"

"I don't think so, sir. Once the galleys get close, they'll step down their mast and take to oars. That'll drive them quickly for a short while, enough to easily catch the brig-sloop, I would think, sir."

Baynes took back the telescope. "Your brig-sloop has lines, Mr. Hamilton, I'll grant you that, but we have no dog in this fight, so I'm afraid..." Baynes voice trailed out as he looked closer. He turned and snapped to one of the midshipmen to take the glass aloft and look carefully at the brig-sloop.

"Deck! Chase is flying a signal, sir!" The midshipman yelled.

"Those are English flags, sir, but I can't find this signal in the book," Lieutenant Stepford said.

"You won't, Mr. Stepford, but I recognize it," Baynes said simply. "I stand corrected, Mr. Hamilton, we are going to protect your brig-sloop."

It would be at least two hours before the Ariadne closed with the galleys and the Captain dismissed the men to breakfast. Hamilton ate quickly and then found Katherine and her servant Rachel in their cabin. For the first time the Lady Dunsbrooke didn't have a sparkle of mischief in her eye.

"We'll be cleared for action soon, Katherine," Hamilton said. "I can escort you and Miss Palmer down to the cable tier."

"It's so dark down there, Edward."

"I know, but below the waterline you'll be safe. It won't be for long, this isn't going to be a daylong affair like when the French seventy-four chased us. A pair of galleys are no match for a frigate."

Katherine stood up and leaned against him. "Thank you Edward. I know you think I'm a fool with all the talk of pirates, but I am well aware of what fate Rachel and I would have were we taken by those particular ships."

"There is no reason to worry. You'll be safe, please follow me."

Twenty minutes later came the cry: "Beat to quarters! Clear for action!" Cabin walls were knocked down and stowed, including the bulkheads of the Captain's great cabin, leaving the entire gun deck open and clear of obstructions. Sand was spread across the decks to provide traction against blood. Water casts were secured and a few marines stationed at the ladders leading down to make sure no man left his station for the safely of the lower decks.

Hamilton paced back and forth between the two rows of cannon, speaking casually with the young midshipman and the nervous Lieutenant Mabson as he tried to reassure them. He wasn't sure how much he succeeded. Like all the officers, he now wore his best uniform, with his saber hanging uncomfortably at his side.

The gun captains worked their men with a well practiced efficiency. Rammers, powder and shot, as well as handspikes and canister, and all the other tools were laid out. The gun were loaded, each ready to fire an 18-pound sphere of solid iron.

"Compliments of Mr. Stepson," a midshipman said. "You may run out the guns, sir."

Hamilton nodded, then roared to the men, "run out the guns!"

The gun deck was suddenly brighter as the gun ports were opened. With a loud, groaning rumble the wooden trucks were pulled out as men strained at the ropes, and soon the heavy cannon were ready to be fired.

Hamilton walked down and back, barely noticing that Fourth Lieutenant Henry Mabson had begun to follow him, one step behind. Hamilton stopped near the larboard number 3 and stepped between the men to catch a better look through the gun port. The Ariadne was closing rapidly on the first galley, and it looked like Baynes was going to cross the Corsair's bow.

"We're getting close, eh?" Mabson said, nervously.

Hamilton nodded. He felt a pang in his stomach. He always did before battle. But it was critical that officers set an example and showed no fear. He did not envy those on the quarter deck who had to stand and act totally unconcerned, as if the iron and lead filling the air was no more dangerous than a raindrop.

"The Captain is bringing us to point blank range," Hamilton said at last. "Those galleys are doomed, so why aren't they running?"

"They must want that ship of yours badly, I wager," Mabson said, nervously speaking rapidly. "I think that is it. Something... something in that brig. That must be it, sir. I wager. "

"Oh, it was never my vessel, Mr. Mabson," Hamilton forced himself to speak calmly. "Though the Rose is a fine craft."

"Yes, sir, I mean, yes, Mr. Hamilton." Mabson nodded gravely.

The Ariadne heeled, a slight correction as they closed on the first galley. The frigate bristled with cannon and yet the Corsairs were simply continuing their pursuit of the brig-sloop. It was a madness on their part, Hamilton wondered, or was it?

"I hear you slept with Lady Dunsbrooke," Mabson blurted out. "Oh my god, I'm sorry sir! I mean, Mr. Hamilton."

Several of the crew were laughing, though Hamilton barely noticed. There was something about those galleys. He could see it more clearly now, there was the low deck with its overhanging galleries for the banks of oars. But there was something more. They had added protection for the deck by building a low wall of planks on the gunwales that rose up and over, as if they were trying to cover the entire deck. But such planking would provide no protection against cannon, and the threat of musket fire seemed slight.

"Oh no...." Hamilton looked at Mabson for a moment and then ran to the ladder. He burst out on the quarterdeck. "Captain! That's not a galley!"

Baynes, standing in his full dress uniform, slowly put his telescope down but didn't seem to notice Hamilton.

"Captain! Please sir, that is not a galley!"

Baynes abruptly turned and glared at him.

"The gunwales, sir," Hamilton added, suddenly worried he was making a terrible mistake.

For a terrible second Baynes looked ready to clap Hamilton in irons. Then he looked back out at the Corsair vessels. "Jesus, Mary and Joseph!" Baynes yelled. "Hard a-starboard! Now, man, now! Stepford, see to the braces!"

"Aye, sir," the first Lieutenant yelled. "Haul the mains'l round! Get moving, Jackson, damn your eyes. On deck, there! Have at it! Take hold and heave hard!"

The crew leapt into action, driven by the urgency in the officer's voices. The Ariadne began to shift course, slowly bringing its broadside to bear.

"To your station, Mr. Hamilton!" the Captain ordered.

"Aye, sir."

Hamilton slid down the ladder to the gun deck.

"Edward!" Katherine cried.

"I'm sorry, sir. She insisted she had to find you, sir," said a marine in her wake.

"Get below, Katherine, now!"

"Edward!" Katherine grabbed his arm. "You cannot let them take me! You must promise!"

"You must get below!" Hamilton pushed her away and yelled at the marine. "Take her down to the cable tier. Carry her if you must, do anything, just get her below!"

"Edward!"

"You'll be safe," he said, before turning and running forward. He could see the enemy through the open gun ports as he ran. The Corsair vessel looked like a galley, she almost certainly had been built as one, but unlike a war galley there was no compliment of men shackled to oars. Instead, a dozen heavy guns had been secured to each side of the deck, hidden behind the screen of planks.

And those planks were knocked away.

"Steady men!" Hamilton said as he drew his saber. The guns of the Ariadne were coming to bear, he held his breath.

There was a bright flash from the corsair and clouds of dark smoke. The dull roar of the enemy guns was followed by series of loud crashes the air as 24-pound shot smashed against the thick wooden hull. One ball smashed through the hull with a sharp crack a few yards aft, then a second blasted through, each causing a torrent of deadly oak splinters. Men yelled, at least four were down.

"Fire as she bears!" shouted someone from deck.

"Steady men!" Hamilton yelled. "Wait on the roll! Wait for it! Wait!" He slashed his saber down. "FIRE!"

The larboard guns roared one after another as each gun captain sighted the enemy mainmast. The heavy cannon jerked back from recoil in sequence. The sound of the broadside was overwhelming, and Hamilton felt it more than heard it. Dense clouds of black and grey smoke filled the air outside the gun ports, blocking the view of the enemy.

"Reload!" Hamilton yelled, although all he heard was a loud ringing. His eyes stung. He could taste the saltpeter in the air.

The gun crews worked hard, no navy fired faster than the English. The clouds of smoke slowly cleared and it looked as if the Ariadne was now on a course parallel with the enemy vessel, about two hundred yards away. Hamilton stepped clear as the sailors hauled the heavy cables and the guns were run back out.

"Steady men! Steady! Fire!" he yelled, and it seemed as if he could hear his own voice again, though barely.

Each gun captain pulled hard on a lanyard, snapping a flintlock on the primer and exploding the charge, propelling the solid shot with a stabbing flame and dense cloud of smoke.

"Reload!"

Hamilton knew the Corsairs would fire again soon. Though they weren't as fast as the English, they couldn't be. Hamilton looked around at the men working hard at the guns and suddenly he thought of Nasira. She had been in battles, fighting for her Sultan against the Russians, Austrians and Venetians. Nasira knew what it was like, the fear and exhilaration, the panic and euphoria. Had she fought against Venice? He suddenly wasn't sure. And he wondered why he worried about this now.

There were more sharp cracks, and Hamilton turned to see a trio of men slammed back as a shot crashed through the hull, bounced off a beam and landed in the middle of one of the starboard gun crews. A young boy, one of the power monkeys, ran across the deck through one of the growing smears of blood, leaving a trail of red footprints.

"Reload!" he yelled more by instinct than anything else. The smoke was thick, and he ran up and down behind the gun crews, glancing down now and then to see if the enemy had been hit, but taking care to stay clear of the men working the guns.

Of course there were two galleys, and almost certainly both were decoys with guns in place of oars. He had only seen the first. The second should have been visible if it still followed closely behind the other. But if instead the second corsair had turned to present its guns it would have fallen aft.

"Damn," Hamilton ran down pushing the men on the guns. "Down! Lie down between your guns! Now!"

He wasn't sure how many understood what he was trying to do, because a moment later the stern windows exploded. The second corsair had turned to fire a raking shot. The range was long and most shots missed, but two heavy iron shot had smashed inside and blasted down the length of the ship, bouncing off men, guns, and beams, sending shards of smashed wood through the air to wound and kill more.

Hamilton turned and suddenly he was looking at the deck. He could see Mabson, but the young Lieutenant was standing sideways. He could taste salt, but it was damp, not dry like powder smoke. Hamilton felt water on his head and reached up. He could see out of only one eye. There was water on his head. No. Blood. He was covered with blood. Hamilton realized he was lying on the deck and then lost consciousness.