Walking the Dog Ch. 08-10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I had a sudden thought. “Ask him what he has to do with the ikon,” I said to Angela. He laughed when he heard the question and Angela smiled when she heard the reply. She turned to us and when both father and daughter were smiling, the resemblance between them was clear.

“My father traced me through Frau Meyer. He went to see her after reading an article about her and he saw my name mentioned as one of those artists she patronised. The article had also said that Frau Meyer was a great opponent of extremism in the new Germany. He thought she would be disposed to help him. He explained a little of the situation and suggested that she might help. They hit on the idea of putting the ikon up for sale in the UK to mislead Cornell, who was getting too close.
“Frau Meyer wanted to do more so they agreed that she would send me some bronze to work with. Hidden in that shipment is about one hundred pounds of plutonium. My father thinks it will be at Felixstowe Docks tomorrow or the next day. He stole it from a shipment and substituted plain lead rods. The plutonium is wrapped in a lead sheath and a thin skin of bronze.”

“Why send it here?” I asked, puzzled. Angela smiled again, “It is his evidence. Anyone could come up with a list of names and things on paper. He needs our help. He wants someone to contact, someone above suspicion. Everything in the East is too corrupt; he doesn’t know who’s involved and who isn’t. Do you know anyone in the Government, Martin?”

I admitted I knew one person, an MP I had once done some work for. I hadn’t liked him much but as far as I knew, he was straight but didn’t know too much about him. Then Liam chimed in. “Do you remember Rollo Yeates?” I did, he had been Head Boy at school when we were there. “Rollo’s now a half-colonel in I Corps, he might be the very man!” I had to agree. If Rollo Yeates was now a Lieutenant Colonel in Army Intelligence, he could certainly point us in the right direction. All of this was explained to Angela’s father and he thought for a moment or two before answering. He puffed out his cheeks and then grinned. “Good, a soldier!”

It was agreed that Liam should contact Rollo Yeates and get him to meet us at Felixstowe Docks the following day. I picked up the roll of papers and began to scan them. They were written in a variety of languages but I saw a few names I recognised, Cornell’s among them. Another I recognised was a former MP, well known for his venal nature and habit of attracting scandal, and a third was a high-profile radical journalist with a history of penning attacks on Israel and the USA. There were other, obviously Western, names that didn’t ring any bells. The one name that brought me up short was that of a prominent European Industrialist. How the Hell could someone like that involve themselves with this bloody mess? I voiced this aloud and Angela’s father understood instantly. He spread his hands in a gesture of helplessness. “Gelt!” he said, money.

It had got pretty late by this stage and we were all starting to flag a bit. I left Angela alone to talk with her father and retired to our bed alone. I could still hear the soft murmur of conversation as I drifted into a troubled sleep. At least I now knew what was going on. At any rate, I thought I did.