Washed Up

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,777 Followers

"Okay. But I have to let him know this is conditional and it'll up to child services whether or not he can stay with me until a judge okays it."

"Fine! Do whatever you need to do!" she told him as she dialed the first number.

Her agent wasn't thrilled about doing what she asked, but she was still paying his salary and he did have an enormous Rolodex so after three phone calls on his end, Jeri had the name of a local attorney who'd be expecting her in an hour or so.

DJ wasn't thrilled about the idea, but if it meant staying out of one of those group homes, he was willing to try to it.

Link and Jeri shared information and then told DJ to grab everything he needed and to come with them. He only owned a few things along with a reasonably expensive guitar and old baseball glove. Within ten minutes, they were on their way to Link's apartment and then to the attorney's office.

"I've got an emergency hearing with Judge Winslow and CPS will have a rep at the hearing. We need to be there in 30 minutes so is everything good on your end?" the lawyer asked.

"Yeah, I think so," Link told him. "I don't know how we're paying you, but other than that...."

"I already have the retainer so no worries there," the lawyer explained without explaining how he'd been paid.

Link looked at Jeri who just smiled and he couldn't help but wonder how a substitute teacher had pulled something this significant off in virtually no time at all.

"All right. Then let's head over to the courthouse. You do not want to keep this judge waiting," the attorney told them.

The hearing lasted less than five minutes.

"If Child Protective Services and Mr. Ryan and Mr. Matthews all agree, I am willing to grant temporary custody to Mr. Matthews."

The judge looked at Link then said, "Do you understand that you will be responsible for all of his actions, Mr. Matthews?"

Link looked at DJ who said, "I won't screw you over, Mr. Matthews."

"Yes, Your Honor," Link told him.

"CPS? Are you on board with this?"

"Mr. Matthews is employed and has a home so yes, subject to an inspection to ensure the home is safe, we're happy to keep a child out of the system, Your Honor," the CPS rep said.

"Very well. Temporary custody is hereby awarded until Mr. Ryan turns 18 at which time this arrangement is automatically terminated. If there are no other questions, these proceedings are adjourned," the judge announced.

The CPS rep followed them to Link's apartment and in less than fifteen minutes, told him it was more than adequate before wishing them well and leaving.

Jeri was still with them, and as DJ went to check out his very small-but-private room, she told Link, "I am so proud of you!"

"If not for you this wouldn't have happened. So if we're giving out credit, the lion's share goes to you."

"Well, maybe we make a pretty good team," Jeri said with a smile.

"Yeah, maybe we do," Link told her before adding, "I should probably take you home, huh?"

"Oh, gosh. I haven't even called Keri. She's probably worried about me."

Jeri smiled then said, "I've been on my own for so long I don't stop to think about my family."

She gave her sister a quick call and said, "She says to tell you you're her hero."

Link laughed but thanked her for saying that.

Jeri relayed the message and just before she hung up, Link said, "Would you maybe like to stay and have dinner with me? And DJ, of course."

"Keri? I'm gonna be a little later than I thought," Jeri said before explaining why.

"Okay. All set? What's for dinner?" she asked playfully.

"Um...well, I don't cook so we can call for pizza or Chinese or...."

"Chinese?" they heard DJ say.

"You like Chinese?" Link asked.

"I haven't had it in a couple of years, but yeah, I love Chinese," he said.

"You okay with that?" he asked Jeri.

"Very!" she told him.

A minute later, they were on line looking at the menu before placing their order.

DJ surprised both of them with his ability not only to carry on a conversation, but with his politeness and courtesy. Over the course of the next couple of hours they learned about his dad's passing at an early age, his mother's struggles with drug addiction, and how music had kept him from going off the deep end.

"Would you mind playing something for us?" Link asked after dinner.

"Well, if Ms. K will sing...sure," he said.

"Um...okay," Jeri said with a smile. "What do you want to play?"

"How about the song we did in class?"

"I don't have the sheet music with me," she told him.

"That's cool. I remember it," he said with a smile as he went to grab his guitar.

"If he can play that song without the music, that's...incredible!" Jeri told Link.

"Just remember, we have neighbors here," Link said politely as DJ got ready to play.

"I'll keep it down," he promised.

He began strumming the chords and Jeri joined in right on cue and Link sat there in total amazement as Link not only played but sang harmony.

"That was incredible!" Link told them both.

"You've got talent, Mister!" Jeri told him when they were done.

DJ couldn't remember the last time anyone other than his band mates had complimented him and he hungrily ate up the praise but with a sense of modesty that also impressed the two adults.

"You should record that song, Ms. K," DJ told Jeri.

"Oh, no. That would never sell in today's market," Jeri told them.

"You don't know unless you try," DJ told her having no idea how she could possibly know what might or might not sell.

"That's so sweet," Jeri told him. "Tell you what. Maybe you and I could go into a recording studio and make a demo. It might be fun."

"That's gotta cost way more than I can afford," DJ said with a shake of his head.

"It's not as much as you think," Jeri told him. "If I set it up, will you play guitar for me?"

"Are you kidding?" DJ said. "That would be totally awesome!"

"You have talent, DJ. If I can help you develop it, then I will," Jeri told him.

DJ looked at her then at Link before saying, "This place is already more of a home than I've lived in a really long time."

"We're glad you're here, DJ," Link told him.

"I've got some studying to do so I think I'll go back to my room if that's okay," he said pointing over his shoulder toward his room.

"That sounds very responsible," Link said with a smile.

"Goodnight, Ms. K," DJ told her.

"Goodnight, DJ," she said with a smile.

"You were right," Jeri said once the teenager was out of sight.

"Of course," Link said.

"You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?" Jeri teased.

"Um...no. What am I missing?"

"You said his tough exterior was just an act and there was a good kid underneath. Or something close to that," Jeri told him.

"Ah, right! I do tend to know people," he told her with a smile.

He continued smiling and said, "That includes you, too, Jeri."

"Oh, really? So what is it you know about me, Mr. Guidance Counselor man?" she said playfully.

They sat down on what passed for a couch and Link said, "Well, for starters I know you're caring and compassionate."

Jeri smiled then said, "Keep going."

"You're clearly beautiful so that's no big insight."

"You just made my day. No, wait. Bringing DJ here made my day. You just made my evening," she said correcting herself.

"You're also a very talented musician and singer. DJ's right. You should record that song. Who knows? You might get noticed by someone and the next thing you know you'd be off to New York or LA livin' the dream!"

Jeri's smile faded as she replied, "Yeah. The dream. Sometimes it seems more like a nightmare."

"I'm sorry?" Link said having failed to understand what she'd said.

"Oh, nothing. It's just that sometimes the things we think will make us happy...don't."

"Such as?"

"Money. Fame. Power. It all seems kind of empty, you know?" Jeri said as she looked back on her years 'in the business'.

"No, sorry. I'm afraid I wouldn't know. The closest I ever came to fame was as a college wrestler," Link told her.

"Oh?"

"It's no big deal," Link said clearly not wanting to talk about it.

"Tell me. I want to hear," Jeri said with genuine interest.

"I was undefeated my senior year and an All-American. That and two bucks will buy me a cup of coffee at any Starbucks. A small coffee at that."

"Link. That is so impressive! Why are you minimizing it so much?" she asked forgetting what she'd just done about her own long and relatively successful career.

"Because it's over and done. That part of my life is behind me, and I never look back. It's not that I forget the past or don't try and learn from it, but it makes no sense to sit around thinking about our glory days when all we have is right now and the hope of what lies ahead."

"You are a very insightful young man," Jeri told him.

"I just try and pay attention," he told her politely.

"A guy who pays attention. This has been a very interesting day," she said, her smile now fully back.

"Yes, it has," he said smiling at her. "And you've been no small part of that."

"Me? You're the one opening your home to a teenage boy you barely know. All I did was tag along."

"No, you inspired me," Link told her.

He sat there looking at her for a moment then said, "I don't think I've ever met anyone quite like you, Jeri."

"No, I'm a real one of kind," Jeri said breezily.

"You are. You really are a one of a kind."

He smiled at her then added, "I'd say 'special' is the better word."

"Special? Me? You must have me confused with someone who's done something significant with their life," she said actually believing her words.

Jeri was more than surprised when Link gently reached over and put his hand on her lower arm before saying, "It doesn't matter so much what we do, Jeri. What matters is how we do it."

Her eyes were unable to break their gaze into his. He was sitting there putting into words the very things she'd been trying to understand about life for so long, and the way he was doing it was creating a stir somewhere deep inside.

"You may see yourself as just a substitute teacher, but you are so much more than that," Link told her.

"I'm a real go-getter, huh?" she said softly as they stared into one another's eyes.

"I can assure you that's not what I see when I look at you. And if being a substitute was the sum total of what you call your accomplishments, I'd still say you're a very special woman."

Jeri's heart was pounding in her chest as Link leaned toward her. She wanted him to kiss her more than she'd ever wanted anything, but she couldn't let him until she told him the truth.

She turned her head slightly then said, "Link?"

He pulled back quickly and apologized.

"No. Don't apologize. I...I wanted you to kiss me. It's...it's just that, well, you really don't know anything about me or what kind of life I've lived. It would be unfair for you to get involved with someone who...."

"Someone who's kind, caring, thoughtful, and incredibly beautiful?" he said quietly with a smile.

"Is that how you really see me?" she asked hardly able to trust what she was hearing; words she'd longed to hear for so long.

"Yes. Is that so hard to believe?"

"Honestly? Yes, it is," she told him. "And let's be honest here, okay? I'm not twenty-something like you. I'm barely still even thirty-something."

"If you don't find me interesting or even attractive enough, that's okay. But please just be honest with me, because I really, really like you, Jeri."

His eyes confirmed the words he was speaking and now she was regretting having not let him kiss her, and yet she still hadn't told him who she was. Or more truthfully—who'd she'd been.

"You're more than interesting to me, Link. And trust me, you're way more than attractive enough. In all honesty? You've made me feel like I'm the younger person here watching the older, more experienced one deal with some very complex issues."

"Unless our ages is some big deal to you, and it's not to me at all, then what's wrong? Why are you giving me the cold shoulder? Am I just moving too fast?" Link asked.

"No. Well, I don't think so," she replied.

"Did you perhaps just get out of a relationship?"

"No. Heavens, no. I haven't been a real relationship in...."

Jeri sat there trying to think of the last time she was involved with someone who was more than a fling and for the life of her, she couldn't.

"That long, huh?" Link said with a polite smile.

"Yes. Maybe even longer," she said trying not to feel sad at having spent so much time pursuing money and fame with nothing to show for it.

"If I really am interesting to you, then, whenever you're ready, I'd very much like to have a relationship with you," Link told her.

"I think I'd like that," Jeri said quietly as she again stared into his eyes.

She could see he was hesitant and said, "I promise not to duck this time if you still want to kiss me."

Link smiled then raised his hand and gently touched her cheek before telling her, "There's nothing I'd like more."

This time she didn't pull away. She not only let him kiss her she kissed him back for several seconds.

"Whoa! Sorry!" they heard DJ say.

He'd come out of his room to ask a question about doing the demo with Jeri and stopped dead in his tracks when he saw them kissing.

"Uh-oh," Jeri said with a smile.

Link smiled back then said, "No problem. What's up?"

DJ asked his question and just as Jeri was answering him, the doorbell rang. Link answered the door, paid the young girl who was delivering along with a generous tip, and thanked her, as well.

"Let's eat!" he said as he turned around with both hands full of large paper bags that smelled wonderful.

The three of them talked the entire time they ate. Most of it was about music even though Link could neither sing nor play an instrument. He liked listening to music but that didn't include much before the late-90s on, and that explained why he'd never even heard of Jeri Kennedy.

DJ rode with them when Link drove Jeri back to her sister's place and they kept right on talking until Jeri got out.

"I'll see both of you tomorrow!" she said.

"Have a good night, Ms. Kennedy. And thank you," DJ told her.

"Thank Mr. Matthews," she told him with a smile.

Link was standing next to her after helping her out of his older-model Ford Taurus.

"I'd like to thank Mr. Matthews, too," she said with a bright, happy smile.

"Okay, but only if can thank you back," he said smiling back.

"We did something really good today, Link," she told him.

"Yes, we did, and it feels pretty great, doesn't it?"

"It does, and, well, spending time with you was pretty great, too," Jeri told him.

"Would it be okay if I kissed you again?" he asked.

"I don't think it would create any big stir," she replied sweetly.

This kiss was short but no less meaningful. Link thanked her again for all her help and wanted to ask how she had all these contacts but didn't. Instead he just wished her a good night.

"You, too," she told him before waving goodbye to DJ.

As Link got back in and closed the door, DJ said, "Ms. K is awesome. And hot."

Link looked at him in the mirror and said, "Yes, she is."

When Jeri walked inside, she could tell by the look on her sister's face she'd been watching.

"Well, well. You don't waste any time, do you?" Keri teased.

"No! It's...it's not like that," Jeri said. "He's really sweet."

"And...."

She leaned closer then said very quietly, "Hot!"

Jeri laughed but the laugh was more a girlish giggle as she said, "He is pretty hot, isn't he?"

"Oh, yeah!" Keri said as they turned to head into the living room. "I want details, sis. So...DISH!"

Jeri told her everything that had happened and Keri just sat there shaking her head.

"Absolutely amazing," were Keri's first words when Jeri finally took a breath. "Link's taking him on as his guardian? That's incredible."

"It's only for two months or so, but yes, it really is incredible."

"So...do you like him, like him?" Keri asked.

"I don't know," Jeri said initially. But two seconds later she said, "Yeah. I think I just might like him."

She smiled at her sister then added, "A lot."

Keri reached out for a hug and said, "Then I'm happy for you, Jeri. You deserve to be happy, and if Link is a part of that, then that makes me happy."

Jeri pulled back after the hug then said, "I just feel like if he really knew who I was, he might feel differently. Not that I'm all that famous or anything. I just can't help but feel he deserves to know."

"Hey. There's plenty of time for that. If he's really that kind and caring it won't matter. I say just spend some time getting to know him and if things...heat up...then by all means tell him about your past. Otherwise just enjoy having a boyfriend."

Keri smiled then said, "And when I say boy...friend, I mean...."

"Okay, okay! I know he's a few years younger than me, but...."

"A few?" Keri said, her eyebrows raised high in mock disbelief. "He's like...what? Maybe 27 or something?"

Jeri looked away for a minute before saying, "Or something."

"He's not even 27?" Keri said, her eyes now very wide.

"I didn't exactly ask. I was too busy trying not to drool," Jeri said hoping to lighten the growing tension from all the teasing.

"I guess it really doesn't matter, huh?" Keri said. "I mean, if you guys really like each other then it's no one else's business."

"What's no one else's business?" they heard Jeff say as he walked in holding a cold beer.

"None of your business!" Keri said playfully before reaching for his beer.

"Hey! I'll share anything I own with you, honey. Except my beer!" he told her as he pulled the bottle away. "Would you like me to get one for you?"

"No, thanks. I only wanted a sip," she told him.

"Well, I guess I could spare one sip," he said.

As Keri reached for the bottle he said, "One very tiny sip."

Jeri found herself smiling and thinking, "That's what I want. Not another recording contract. I want—that."

The following morning, the entire school seemed abuzz as Jeri and Keri walked into the main building.

"What's going on?" Keri asked rhetorically.

People were staring at them and then they were smiling and pointing and looking at their cell phones.

"Yeah, what is going on?" Jeri asked as it continued all the way to her room.

Jeri no sooner walked in than the principal came in behind her.

"I think the cat's out of the bag," she told her with a smile.

"What cat and what bag?" Jeri asked.

She pulled out her cell phone, opened up YouTube and hit play then handed it to Jeri.

"I don't understand," she said as she watched herself playing the piano and singing.

"It's gone viral," the principal said. "Everyone's seen it."

"Oh!" Jeri said as she finally understood.

"So much for your privacy, eh, Ms. Kennedy?"

"I don't suppose it's that big a deal. It was only a matter of time, right?"

"Quite a few of the teachers recognized you immediately. I'm surprised it stayed 'hushed up' this long," the principal told her.

"Other than my having to deal with this for a couple of days until it passes, there's no problem where the school's concerned, is there?" she asked.

"No. Not at all. I just wanted you to know what all the buzz is about."

"Okay. Well, thank you for clueing me in," Jeri told him.

"Good luck!" the principal told her before heading out.

Jeri got her first real look at the phoniness of fame in quite some time as kids began flocking to her door. They were peeking in and trying to get a look at her whereas the day before no one even cared she was there. She was still the same person she'd always been. The only thing that had changed was the perception others had of her.

When she finally unlocked her door, a throng of students pressed through it and started asking for pics with the famous singer (they'd never heard of) or for autographs. Jeri smiled thinking back to the 'good old days' when that happened everywhere she went except that people had cameras rather than cell phones back then.

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,777 Followers