We Are Both In The Dirt Ch. 12

Story Info
Aftermath.
2.1k words
4.38
8.3k
1
0

Part 12 of the 20 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 06/30/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
theeink
theeink
14 Followers

"I can't fucking believe it. We just got fire-bombed by Michigan Mike from motherfucking Munich!" are the first words Mira hears when she comes to. She feels wind on her face and the sun is a glaring, cantankerous orb in the flawless blue sky above her. Every piece of her feels burned, sore. She tries to sit up.

"Lay down honey, there's nothing to see here!" The voice again. Definitely familiar, but different at the same time. She can't see him. She's laying on the backseat, staring at the gold D's monogrammed on the seat backs. She closes her eyes for in indeterminate amount of time, and when she opens them she finally feels like she might be gaining her bearings. She makes out a lifeless body in the passenger seat, covered in blood and dirt. She gets up quickly without much trouble as she realizes who it is she's looking at.

"Mandrake!" She is shaking him. His head lulls, she tries to climb over the seat and the wind whips at her and threatens to throw her from the car. Whomever is driving is going faster than Mira can ever remember having gone in a car, and she has been in at least two high speed police chases that she can remember.

"Watch yourself honey. that's the thing about convertibles, they don't have no roofs!" She is dumbfounded when she finally recognizes the man in the driver's seat. He looks just the same, but there is something different about him that she can't figure out.

"Delray? What is going on?" The pain in her head, which she has only been partially aware of, intensifies and makes her pay attention.

"Michigan Mike is going on sweetheart. Fresh off the boat I bet," Delray says. He has a cigarette in his mouth, loud Mexican language rap blares from his speakers. Mira feels like she's going to be sick.

"Pull over, Delray!" she screams.

"We can't, have you not seen what's behind us?"

Mira looks. Two police cars, about a car length away from them. "Oh my gosh we're doomed as-" she just makes it over the edge of the car before she can no longer hold back. She tries to remember a time when she has been more miserable than this as she shields her eyes from the blowback of her own vomit as it hits the pavement. They are going so fast, however, she isn't exactly sure it has time to hit the pavement at all. "Stop the car, now!"

"Your wish is my command," Delray says as he pulls over to the berm in a spray of gravel. Mira flies out of the car as soon as they stop, but finds that she is no longer nauseous. She holds her hair away from her eyes and watches as the police cars fly by, Delray saluting them as they pass.

"Is he dead?" Mira asks, approaching the car, her mind only barely registering the fact that the police aren't chasing them after all. Five more wailing police cars pass them by.

"No, just unconscious," Delray says around his cigarette. "he looks bad but they're all flesh wounds for the most part-he hit his head, though. You did too, you have quite the knot. We need to get you both to a hospital."

"And those police that were behind us?"

"Yeah I was just yanking your chain. I won't say there are a lot of dirty cops in Vegas, but the ones there are, I know-luckily a few of them arrived on the scene. I told them I was going to take care of Mandrake, they let me go. Those cops that were behind us were on their way to another call, I'm sure-or not-who cares? All that matters is that they weren't after us. Now I'm gonna get you two taken care of, call it a show of good faith."

Back in the car Mira leans the passenger seat back and examines the mess that is Mandrake. She calls his name, slaps his face, he doesn't bat an eyelash. It is only when she presses her fingers to his neck that she is convinced he is even still alive. "You might be a cop but you're certainly no doctor. There are more than flesh wounds. Where's my cell phone?" Mira asks. Her head begins to pound more severely, and the nausea crops up again. "I need to call Mint."

"Mint already called me, he'll meet us at the hospital," Delray says. "Now close your eyes and try to relax, we'll be there soon."

Mira closes her eyes, and she envisions the explosion, remembers the way it sounded, even recalls Mandrake being flung like a rag doll over a cluster of tables and chairs. Delray looks relatively unscathed however, the untouched house in a tornado's warpath.

She awakes to the sound of a beeping heart monitor, is bewildered by the fact that she cannot recollect losing consciousness in the first place. She is in a hospital gown and the ache in her head has subsided though it still pulses faintly behind her eyes. Mint steps into her view, and she is of course, reminded again of that night he saved her life.

"You probably feel like shit, but damn you look amazing," Mint says with a smile. He touches her face and she flinches, though she is not sure why. Her eyes search the room until they find Mandrake. He is sitting up in the bed beside her. He is wearing a hospital gown as well and he looks much better than he had in the car. Mira tries to sit up, but feels nauseous again and doesn't resist when Mint pushes her back down.

"Delray?" She manages to say.

"That's her first word, asking after this Delray?" Mandrake says. He hops from the hospital bed and leans over to place a kiss on her forehead.

"Well, he did save your lives, and your freedom, no less," Mint says.

"This is true," Mandrake says with a nod.

"Where is he now?" Mira asks.

"The cafeteria, he eats like a sixteen year old boy-that's what I remember thinking about him back when we first met. Package after package of cookies, soda all the time, candy," Mandrake answers.

"Well he acts like he's full of sugar, that's for sure," Mint says.

"We can't stay here," Mira says. "It's not safe. Montana sent someone named Michigan Mike after us."

"It's true we need to move, but there's a little more to the story. You tell her or me?" Mint asks.

"You tell her, this is your mess."

"Montana didn't send Michigan Mike," Mint says.

"Let me guess," Mira says, anger forming in her gut. "Mya sent him."

"Beautiful and smart, deadly combination," Mandrake says.

"Give me a break," Mira says. "When can we get the fuck out of here before Mint's girlfriend sends this pyromaniac to blow this place sky high as well?"

"Doctor's making his rounds," Mandrake says. "How about we not be here when he arrives?"

~~

Mira and Mandrake shed their hospital gowns with little fanfare and with Mira leaning on Mint for stability, they make a beeline for the elevator. They face no resistance until they exit the hospital, it is then that Delray appears with a bag of potato chips in his hand. "You guys weren't thinking of leaving without me, were you?"

"Yes," Mandrake says, his jaw set.

"Well I think you all need to rethink your decision. Why do you think, after an explosion like that, cops aren't crawling all over your conspicuous asses?" Delray barks a laugh.

"Because we didn't do anything wrong? I don't know..."

"It's because I'm with you. I've arranged for you to be left alone-while you're in my custody. And I'll tell you what Mandrake...you're lucky you've gotten along so well this long. Lucky the world is so preoccupied with their cell phones and celebrity women's tits, okay, because if they weren't, they'd all be wondering what the hell this one," Delray says thrusting his finger at Mint, "is walking around free and why there are two of you. And you," he says looking at Mira, "they'd just wonder."

"Dayte mne pereryv!" Mandrake says, taking a step toward Delray who simply shoves a handful of chips in his mouth.

"English, Mandrake, English!" Delray laughs.

"Poshel na khuy," Mandrake spits.

"That one was fuck you, Delray. I really suggest you leave him alone," Mira says, "if your aim truly is to help and not antagonize, which is what you've been trying to convince me of since you met me."

"Fair enough," Delray says. He jingles his keys. "Shall we go?"

Mira fights back nausea all the way to the car, feels clear one minute and foggy the next. She finds herself watching Mandrake for a couple of moments confused as to who he is before she is flooded with flashes of memory that make him familiar again. She nearly tells everyone about this but then, doesn't. Delray pulls from the parking lot and Mint produces the medical file that he'd stolen from the nurses station.

"TBI," Mint says quietly.

"TBI?" Mandrake asks.

"Traumatic Brain Injury. She has a concussion. We have to keep an eye on her."

"True enough, but she needs medical help, I don't think it was wise to take her out of the hospital." Delray says.

"I know. I have a friend in Colorado, though. He's in his residency at one of the hospitals there, he can take a look at her."

"So you're going to drive your, girlfriend is it? You're going to drive your girlfriend twelve hours in a car without medical attention for brain damage? I get it, you guys haven't said I love you yet? Things aren't that serious?"

"This guy doesn't shut his mouth I'm going to crack his skull. Matter of fact, maybe I'll just do it right now!"

"Mandrake, he saved our lives," Mira says.

"Everybody keeps saying that but what I can't get over is that he's one of Montana's cronies. You don't know what he's up to, not really."

"But Mandrake I do know. We talked in the bar, he could've killed me but he didn't. He told me something really important. I just can't think of what it was," Mira says with a small laugh.

"I told her that Montana paid me to kill her. You see, I require all jobs to be paid up front-" Delray says with a shake of his finger.

"No one gives a fuck, keep talking," Mint says.

"I'm just describing my character-"

"Please, Delray, no one gives a fuck," Mira says.

"Tough crowd. I took my payment and made Montana think I was taking the job, but in reality I wanted to meet Mira. She and my sister were good friends. Sela didn't have a happy life. Didn't have a lot of good people around her. When she talked about this Mira, though, she was so happy. She seemed to have really found a person who genuinely cared about her. They always seemed to have fun. When she disappeared I started looking for you, Mira, but every trail ran cold. When Montana mentioned you-I didn't think at first that it was the same person, but when he told me everything, I knew. I came to find you, and here I am. Sela died and no one knew why. She killed herself and me and my mom couldn't figure it out. She'd seemed so happy. It's true we hadn't heard from her in the month before-she died. But we still didn't get it. Montana put it all together."

"It was all my fault," Mira says. She begins to cry. "My head hurts," she says.

"Mint you snatch any pain killers?" Mandrake asks. He holds Mira tightly. Mira can hear his heart beating in his chest, but it sounds mostly far away.

"I didn't get a chance to," Mint says.

"Listen, we can hash it out later, but I didn't wait all this time to find out what was happening to have her die before we can talk. If it helps you to believe me, count on my selfishness. I miss my sister, I wasn't the best brother, and somehow me knowing what her final moments were like, will give me some sort of closure. I want her to live so that..."

"So that if the story doesn't meet your expectations you can fulfill Montana's contract?" Mint asks.

"Listen, I'll get her to this doctor. Maybe then you'll trust me."

"Give it a rest, Mint, Mandrake. I've got a good feeling about him," Mira says. Her vision is narrowing, and she would tell them, but doesn't want to alarm them. She closes her eyes tightly and presses her head into Mandrake's chest, it seems to help.

"Step on it then, Delray. She dies, you die " she hears Mandrakes voice as it vibrates through his chest. She figures, as things go black again, that if this is the last sound she hears before she dies, she would get the last thing she deserves, a death more pleasant than the one she'd afforded Sela.

theeink
theeink
14 Followers