Westrons Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

- "Eventually." I said. "Wouldn't want to be too predictable."

That got me a smile. But then Vanova's face changed. She studied me, intently, for a few moments. Then she sighed again.

- "Look ... Cadet. Why would you want to go out with me? You're just a kid, starting out. I'm way too old for you. It's a cute game, but ... really - why bother?"

- "Why do I want to go out with you? Wow - there are so many reasons. I like this place, and one of the major attractions is the fact that you're here."

"I enjoy the feeling I get when you speak to me. Brief as they are, those moments are powerful. They're easily the highlight of my week."

Vanova was still looking at me, but her mouth had fallen slightly open.

"And, believe it or not, I look forward to asking you out, every time I come in here. Because I like to imagine that one day, you won't say 'no' - that you'll say something else."

She didn't know how to answer that. I let those last words sink in a little longer.

"Vanova? Will you go out with me?"

She sat for a moment, still looking at me. I wasn't even sure that she'd heard me, until she slid out of the booth, and stood up. Then she grinned.

- "Maybe." she said.

***

At the end of our first year, there were presentations of awards: highest academic average, highest scores in UC (Partosian), AC (Karpov), and almost two dozen other training disciplines.

I didn't win for orienteering, or for Survival Exercises - despite my highest marks. I suppose it would have been embarrassing for one of the faculty to have to hand me an award. So they simply doctored my scores.

I finished the year with 19 firsts, out of a grand total of 2,000 exercises. I also had 27 'seconds'. I invite you to guess - as I did - how many of those were actually firsts.

They weren't going to let an undisciplined, disrespectful, anti-social little bastard like me collect any laurels - even if they had to cheat to do it. I counted that as a win, too.

Then we were on holidays. There was a month-long interval before 2nd year, when cadets had no duties or exercises. The rich ones went off on local travels, or ensconced themselves in their love nests with their mistresses.

The poor cadets continued to fetch and carry for their 'benefactors'. I found a job in the Space Dock, preparing and delivering food. Low wages, but better than nothing.

And I continued to go to the hotel, twice a week, to see Vanova.

It was busy season for contractors, so I wasn't always the only customer. The first few times there was someone else there, she looked at me from across the room, and slowly shook her head.

I got the message. None of my banter, no asking her out - nothing too familiar.

On the other hand, I got to watch and listen as Vanova deftly fended off drunk and horny salesmen. She'd had some practice at this; she was able to keep them at arm's length without letting her disgust show. Sometimes, she mentioned her 'little boy', as a reason why she couldn't accompany these contractors back to their rooms.

- "I don't actually have any children." she told me.

- "I know. But it seems to work, more often than not."

- "Yeah, it does. Hey ... Cook. Ask me."

- "Will you go out with me, Vanova?"

She grinned. "Maybe."

***

Major Gomez called me in, to discuss my academic progress.

- "I have an interesting offer for you, Cadet Cook." he said - smiling. "AFOTA will transfer your scholarship to the University of your choice, on your home planet. Instead of four years at the Academy, your bursary would run for as long as you need to earn a Master's Degree in whatever field you choose to pursue. Or, for 4 years - whichever comes first."

"What do you think of that?"

Very interesting. The AF get rid of me, fairly cheaply. All the cadets in my year get the message: don't buck the system. I get a Master's Degree, all paid for.

You could call it a win for me, too, in a way.

But it was definitely a win for AFOTA. I didn't like that part so much.

That, and never seeing Vanova again.

- "I don't know, Sir." I said. "I'd hate to give up a promising military career."

*****