Westrons Pt. 15

Story Info
Affairs of honour.
6.7k words
4.87
26.1k
45

Part 16 of the 33 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 06/13/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,307 Followers

Kanitz arranged me for me to see my children before I left the Palace. Oscel and Caneia (Airta's twins) were 3 years old, and Tonola, my daughter by Themis, was 2 1/2. I talked with all three; Tonola wanted me to identify the flowers she'd yanked from the Palace garden. She held them up, one at a time, until I'd named them all.

I was on my way out when I heard a discreet cough, which caused me to turn my head.

Themis.

I went to her, and she enfolded me in her arms. There was no one else nearby, thankfully, so she was able to kiss me, and hold me tight.

No platitudes, no clichés. She didn't have to say anything. Themis embraced me, kissed me once more, and then slipped away.

***

Tallia was trying hard to keep her emotions in check. She was distraught, but didn't want to upset or depress me. Our lovemaking, though, was frighteningly intense, as if she was trying to sear every sensation into her memory.

Esyle was more pragmatic. If these were indeed to be my last days, she made certain that I would enjoy them. Fine meals, the best of Tudino's wines ... and whenever Tallia let me go, Esyle took me to bed, and cradled me.

Tallia was upset that their cycles were all wrong; there was no way for either of them to become pregnant before the duel. Esyle simply accepted it, as one of those things she couldn't change.

She also helped me to write my will. I wanted it done, so that they'd be properly looked after if Berandot killed me.

Bequests for Airta's twins, a small amount for Tonola ... it was unlikely that she'd need money, given who her mother was, but a gift now and then couldn't hurt. In the same vein, Aneli's son, Tonol, and the child she was carrying now, would probably never be poor, but I set a little aside for them.

Yehla's girl, named after Oshide could use a more sizeable grant. Then there was Tudino's child - she insisted that she was pregnant, though there was no way to be sure.

Would Kanitz conceive? That was strange; I might never know.

Five children - or maybe eight. Two battles won, plus the winter raid. I hadn't done badly at all, in a few short years. Then I shook myself - I was thinking like I was already dead.

I left the Belere to Esyle and Tallia. Even though they probably couldn't afford to maintain it, they could sell it and live comfortably on the proceeds.

Then I got busy trying to figure out how I was going to win this duel.

Tudino and I practiced with pistols, with Nasta and Koroba watching. Koroba herself was a damn good shot, in addition to being deadly with a variety of blades. She had a few useful tips to pass on.

They showed me how to stand - which I had already figured out for myself, but I let them move me around until they were satisfied.

- "It's a shame you're so damn big." said Tudino. "Now would be a good time to be a skinny wretch, like me, or ..."

- "Like Koroba." said Nasta. The big blonde wasn't a fool; she just didn't have any brakes on her tongue. If a thought crossed her mind, it usually ended up exiting via her mouth.

After a long practice session, where I must have shot thirty times, with several pistols, and Koroba cleaning and reloading for me, I turned to Tudino.

- "Well - is there anything else I can do?"

- "Hope she misses?" said Nasta.

***

Avette sent a polite note, asking if she could come by to visit. I assumed that it was to discuss her hemmer; it was, and it wasn't.

I was always struck by the olive tone of her skin, contrasted with the copper colour of her hair. She had grey-blue eyes, and classic features; once again, I was reminded of the portrait paintings of a millennium ago.

She'd met Tallia, after the battle of Limset, but she introduced herself to Esyle, and thanked both sisters for considering her wish to have me at her hemmer.

- "We'll leave you to it." said Esyle.

Avette had a preternatural ability to remain calm and composed. Most people would have begun to speak the moment the door closed behind the sisters. But Avette simply continued to look at me, without any change of expression.

- "I wish to thank you." she said, finally. "I am told that you interceded on my behalf, with the Chancellor." Avette's title had finally come through; the Queen had made her a Countess.

- "Langoret and I believed that you deserved every honour."

- "Thank you, again. There is another matter I wish to discuss with you."

- "If you're here to talk about your hemmer," I said, "that makes you just about the only person I know who thinks I can win this duel. Or survive it, at any rate."

- "You can win." she said.

- "Oh?"

- "I am a very good shot, Colonel Cook." she said. "I am not bragging, or claiming a skill I do not possess. When Berandot challenged me, I was pleased, because I expected that killing her would prove that right was on my side."

- "I believe you."

- "I was burning with anger, the week before our duel. I simply could not wait to face her. And when we finally met, that morning, the mere sight of her nearly drove me mad. I wanted to hit her, to smash my fist into her lying mouth."

- "I know that feeling."

Avette frowned. "This is no joke. If you are not mentally prepared, she may very well kill you."

- "I apologize. I wasn't taking what you said lightly."

Avette waited for a moment before beginning to speak again.

- "Berandot was not angry at me. She saw me merely as an opportunity to defend her reputation, to refute my accusation. She is no coward. But her claim to honour is a sham."

"I let my anger take over. I fired first - and I missed."

"Berandot took all the time she needed to compose herself. Then she fired - and missed by an inch. She meant to kill me, Cook. She was aiming at my body, but she struck my outstretched arm instead."

- "You were angry. She was calm."

- "Exactly. When you meet, on the morning of your duel, she will say something offensive - not merely vulgar, but utterly vile and despicable."

- "To make me angry."

- "Yes. She will smile at you, mock you. And if you let her irritate you, if you think too much about what she said ... you will miss."

- "What do you recommend?" I asked.

- "I would suggest that you ignore her, but that is difficult. You could also fight fire with fire, if you think you can make her angry."

"Duelling requires ice-cold water in your veins. I was too hot-blooded."

- "That's excellent advice. Thank you."

- "Are you a good shot, Cook?"

- "Fair."

- "Let her shoot first."

Avette was silent for several minutes, letting me digest what she'd said.

"May I say more?" she asked.

- "Please."

- "I was a member of a rather conservative faction. We were unhappy with the direction of the wars - every war, not just the last one. We disapproved of the Queen's choice of an heir. We did not like the Heir's choice of a Chancellor. In short, we were unhappy, and disapproved of just about everything."

"We claimed to represent traditional values: honour, loyalty, truth."

"It came as quite a shock to me, to realize that most of my colleagues were only paying lip service to those values. They would have put a Crolian on the throne, if only they could control her. They would have happily lost the war, to prevent their rivals or opponents from winning it."

I didn't say a word. Avette was baring her soul, and admitting past mistakes - it was already difficult for her, without me interrupting.

"After Limset, I was so angry that I announced my intention to become pregnant by you. I am ashamed to admit that my intention was mostly to shock my former 'friends'."

"It was profoundly disrespectful to you. I apologize."

- "I understand."

She nodded, and fell silent again. A few moments later, she went on.

- "I had time, after the duel, to reconsider my hasty words, and to re-evaluate ... everything. It became clear to me that while I had behaved foolishly, your conduct throughout was honourable and courageous."

"That is why I had to come today, to formally ask you to attend my next hemmer. I would very much like to have a child by you."

***

"Did you hear, Colonel?" asked Nasta, the big blonde. "Your friend Krayt got a beating last night. Someone did a pretty thorough job on him."

- "Really?" I said. "Where were you two last night?"

- "Ha ha." said Nasta. "Funny."

I was just joking, of course. But two things struck me: Koroba didn't laugh. The impish little blonde had a quick wit, and a sly sense of humour. But on this occasion, she didn't say anything at all. She also turned her head when I looked her way.

The second thing I noticed was that she kept her hands behind her back - where I couldn't see them.

***

Esyle organized a party, the night before the duel.

You could make the argument that I should have been resting, or clearing my mind, or something like that. But my lover knew me well; she suspected - rightly - that I wouldn't be getting much sleep tonight.

Tisucha and Talley came. Langoret and Tomos, Tudino and Avette rounded out our little gathering, along with all four of my bodyguards. Esyle had thought about inviting Aneli, and then decided not to.

- "She would drink, and get maudlin - and then do something dramatic to claim everyone's attention."

- "You're probably right." I said.

It was a quiet affair. Langoret and Avette seemed to get along well. Tudino was more lively, and she included the bodyguards in the conversation. Tallia didn't cry.

Our guests left early, after wishing me luck. Esyle put Tudino in a guest room; as my second, she'd be accompanying me to the duel.

Tallia took me to her bed, and made love to me, with passion, and urgency. When she fell asleep, I left her and went to Esyle's room. We made love, too, more quietly, but no less intensely.

It rained that night, I remember - quite heavily. The ground would be slick, in the morning. I was suddenly glad that we were fighting with pistols, instead of swords: the footing might be slippery.

Then I smiled at myself, in the dark. Glad to be fighting with pistols ...

***

The morning dawned grey and cool, with wisps of fog still in the air. I thought about just sneaking out early, but Esyle and Tallia both woke up. Esyle looked like she hadn't slept at all. They tried to get me to eat, but I had no appetite.

They hugged me, and kissed me hard. I told them how much I loved them.

- "Come back." whispered Esyle.

The muddy streets were almost deserted, in the pre-dawn. None of the few individuals we passed had anything to say, for which I was grateful.

Tudino and the bodyguards were silent as well.

The location chosen for the duel was just off the road to Frenet. I'd passed this way, in the other direction, when I first arrived in the capital. It felt like a long, long time ago, or as if it had happened to another person.

Tudino and Colonel Seriba - Berandot's second - had agreed on the spot: a meadow, shielded from the road by a small grove of trees.

The grass was slick, and cold. For some reason I noticed that.

There were half a dozen people there when we arrived. Berandot, her second, a few servants, and a doctor. Tudino went over to speak to them. I wondered if they flipped a coin to choose either end of the meadow.

But Tudino was also honour-bound to ask Seriba if the quarrel could be settled. Seriba had to ask Berandot, who would say no, she could not accept an apology, because the affront to her honour was too great ...

I tried to remember what it felt like to face Partosian, or Mongo, or Karpov, back in the AFOTA days. I'd known, then, that I was going to lose; for some reason that made me calmer.

Today ... I didn't know. Avette had given me her advice. I was free to take it, or to try to get off a shot first, before Berandot could shoot me.

Tudino came back. "All set." she said. "We're at this end."

If only it was 'we' ...

Koroba loaded the pistols, under Tudino's watchful eye. She prepared two - if the first misfired, I was allowed a second. The little blonde's lips were tightly pressed together as she handed me the first pistol. She didn't say anything - and, thankfully, neither did Nasta.

- "Hey - Koroba." I said.

She looked up at me.

"Were you the one who kicked the shit out of Krayt?" I asked.

She grinned. "Yeah."

- "You didn't have to." I said. "But ... thanks."

- "You're welcome, Colonel."

Tudino led me out to the middle of the meadow. Berandot and Seriba met us there.

- "We are agreed," said Seriba, "that this quarrel cannot be composed, and that the only recourse is to single combat ..."

It was formulaic, and I'd heard it all before from Tudino. Seriba's voice was monotonous, anyway. I glanced at Berandot.

She was glaring at me, like a fighter at a weigh-in. Then she spoke.

- "I'm glad," she hissed, "that one of your little whore bodyguards died at Limset. I'm only sorry that the other one survived. The fewer hybrids about, the better."

Oshide. She was spitting on Oshide. And at that moment, I understood what Avette had been trying to tell me. I can't quite explain it, but instead of shooting Berandot in the face, or trying to gouge her eyes out with my fingers ... I just grinned at her.

- "I had no idea you were so jealous, Colonel." I said. "It's too bad, though, because I can't imagine being desperate enough to want to copulate with you."

"I wouldn't fuck you with Krayt's dick."

Her eyes blazed, and she actually took a step towards me. If Seriba hadn't been in the way, I think she might even have taken a swing at me. Tudino was alarmed enough to step between us, just in case.

The seconds separated us, and quickly decided to proceed to the main event.

Tudino positioned me, and then she and Seriba counted the paces between the duellists. Ten. They conferred, and repeated the process. Still ten.

It was cool, and damp out, but I knew that I was sweating. My pits were clammy, and I felt a drop of sweat trickle down my spine.

- "You may fire when ready." said Seriba.

I turned my body sideways, like a fencer, to present the narrowest target. Then I raised my arm, and pointed the pistol at Berandot.

And at that precise moment, I decided that Avette was right. So with my left hand, I reached down and adjusted my package. No, I didn't want to get shot in the balls, but mostly I just did it to piss off Berandot.

I barely knew Avette - except that she'd come to help Langoret and me at Limset, when no one else had. But she knew Berandot. She'd stood exactly where I was standing: ten paces from the muzzle of Berandot's pistol. Or eight paces, if you counted the outstretched arms.

My hand was trembling, and my breathing was all fucked up - then I heard the crack of a pistol, and felt - or heard - a whistle as the bullet passed me.

Berandot had fired. I wasn't dead.

I looked at my target. And ...

- "Tudino!"

I had to call her three times, before she came over.

- "What are you doing?" she whispered. "Shoot at her!"

- "How long do I have?"

- "What?"

- "How long do I have? Is there a time limit?"

- "I don't ... know. Why?"

- "Ask Seriba."

Apparently, the issue had never come up before.

- "I don't understand." said Seriba. "What are you asking?"

- "Just shoot, damn you!" swore Berandot.

- "I'm asking how long I can save my shot." I said. "Can I pass? And keep my shot, in case Berandot challenges me again?"

Tudino and Seriba had one hell of a long conversation. I didn't mind the delay at all. If Berandot shit a single brick, it was all worth it.

After a long, long time, the two Colonels approached me.

- "I think ... you should just shoot, Cook." said my second.

- "There is no precedent for what you are suggesting." said Seriba.

I'd already come to that conclusion. It seemed like a perfectly good idea to me, at first. But I could see how someone could torture another duellist - forever.

You missed me? I save my shot. A week later, I call you out, make you stand on the slick grass, ten paces away ... and then decide that I don't feel like using my shot today after all ... and then four years later ...

- "Fine. Stand back."

I have to give Berandot credit for one virtue: courage. She just stood there, sneering at me, the same haughty expression on her face. Maybe she just hated me too much to be afraid.

As the seconds moved away, I lifted my arm, and pointed the pistol at her. Then I lowered my aim, and fired a shot into the wet grass.

- "Fuck you." I said.

***

Deliberately wasting my shot was just my way of messing with Berandot's mind. Besides, if I shot and missed, I didn't know if she could demand a second shot. I wasn't interested in that option at all.

Berandot was absolutely furious. She took it as a personal insult - which I suppose it was. Seriba had to restrain her - again.

Tudino was stunned. "Why did you ... what was that?"

Ishana had a sour face. Nasta and Madze looked confused. Of all those present, only Koroba got it.

- "Ha! Did you see her face?"

- "Annoyed?"

- "Look at her face! Like she's spitting nails!"

I was still alive.

In the following days, word spread that I'd fired into the ground. It became a more popular topic of discussion than the fight at Iloni's party.

Traditionalists disapproved. It had never been done before, therefore it was wrong. A travesty. Disrespectful. General Vis was of that opinion, and so was Ishana, my chief bodyguard.

Many of the younger set were fascinated. Tudino eventually swung around to agree with them. "It's your shot." she said. "Who has the right to tell you where to aim?"

People got the impression that I'd somehow spared Berandot. I'd shown mercy. End of quarrel, end of debate. That, of course, was almost guaranteed to drive my opponent crazy.

Koroba absolutely loved it. Not only had I made Berandot angry, but I'd made it difficult for her to challenge me a second time.

Kanitz was delighted as well - for her own reasons.

But that was all in the future. We walked back to the Belere. There were more people in the streets, and many of them seemed to know about the duel, and its result.

- "Good for you, Colonel!" someone said.

- "Well done, Limset!" said another. I don't know if he was referring to the battle, or if he thought Limset was my name.

A few people came up to pat me on the back, or to touch my hand. My bodyguards were watchful, but it was all sincere. Either the locals wished me well, or they figured that someone who survived a duel had to be lucky - and maybe some of it would rub off.

I don't know how they knew, but Esyle and Tallia were waiting at the front gate of the Belere when we approached. I was a lucky bastard. Two beautiful women were waiting for me.

- "I know it's early in the day for drinking, Tudino." I said. "But perhaps you could make an exception, today."

I got another surprise, when I entered the house: Langoret and Tomos were there, with Talley and Tisucha. So were Aneli, and Avette. I was shocked to see Kanitz, too. Even Yehla had made the trip.

There were hugs embraces, and a quite a few kisses. Someone grabbed my ass, too. Yehla embraced me tightly, pressing her heroic breasts against my chest.

Talley tried to find a spot out of Kanitz' line of sight.

We cracked a few bottles, while Tudino and Koroba related what had happened.

I sat back and just enjoyed the feeling of still being alive.

Aneli was disappointed that I hadn't killed Berandot, or at least wounded her. My patron was a bit loud, even by her own standards: I think she felt a little guilty that she'd tried to excuse herself in the interview with Kanitz. As far as she was concerned, only the two of them knew about it, but it might have been sitting awkwardly on her conscience.

AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,307 Followers
12