Westrons Pt. 25

Story Info
Family matters.
6.6k words
4.71
23.6k
26

Part 26 of the 33 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 06/13/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,325 Followers

WESTRONS Part 25

Tallia. And Senau.

I stood there, stunned. Incapable of speech.

Isa, though, knew exactly what to do. She stepped forward, and hugged Tallia, kissing her on the cheek.

- “I’m so pleased for you! Both of you!” She turned to Senau, and gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek as well.

That little act woke me up - somehow, it snapped me out of my stupor. And for the first time ever, I acted like a Westron.

I smiled, and advanced towards Tallia, my arms wide. I hugged her, and kissed her cheek, just as Isa had done.

- “I’m happy for you, Sweet.” I said.

- “Truly?”

- “Truly. He changed for you, Tallia. I know exactly how that feels.”

- “I know! When ... when it happened, I understood what you’d been through. But I’m so happy now.” She looked to Senau, and reached out to take his hand again.

***

Tallia and Senau were reasonably discreet. They didn’t engage in public displays of affection: no holding hands or kissing while on duty. But Tallia couldn’t help smiling, and glancing at him when she thought no one would notice.

I couldn’t blame her. When we first made love, Tallia already knew that I’d been with Kanitz and Aneli, and likely would be again. She also intended to share me with her sister, Esyle. Then came Oshide and Yehla. Tudino. Avette. Koroba.

Senau was all hers. Exclusively. She’d never shown jealousy, or possessiveness, with me. Tallia claimed that she didn’t want the kind of monogamous relationship her parents had. But now that she had one of her own, she looked pretty pleased with it.

And I knew how she felt.

Every day, when I woke next to Isa, the world simply felt ... right. Sometimes, I would wake to find her watching me, a smile on her face.

I was hardly an advocate of exclusive relationships. I loved several women - Westron, hybrid, and now Penchen. But right now, I didn’t want anyone but Isa.

Our time together would be limited. Six more months ... give or take a few weeks. Tallia would come to know the same mixture of urgency and dread, if she hadn’t already.

- “You look so happy.” I said to her.

- “I am.” Tallia was practically glowing.

- “You deserve it.”

Her face fell. “I didn’t mean ... Cook, I was happy with you. I was.”

- “I know. And I with you. But unless we were at war, you had to share me, with Esyle. Kanitz. And then the hemmers ...”

- “I wanted you to go with Tudino. Koroba, too.” she said. “I’m glad that you don’t go with Aneli or Avette anymore, but ...”

“I’m a little surprised that you aren’t jealous.”

- “You want me to be?”

- “No!” she said. “I just thought that, being Pylosian, you might be more like my father. Deep down.”

I laughed. “You taught me to think more like a Westron. When you told me that you wanted to share me with Esyle ... it just made sense.”

“And now - this makes sense, too, strange as it is.”

***

“It makes no sense.” said General Leydz. “It’s like ... lightning striking the very same place. No, that’s a bad example. Isaal was unprecedented. To have it happen again, in the same place, so soon afterwards, is ...”

- “Uncanny?”

- “At the very least.” said the Penchen General. He shook his head, slowly. “So many changes. Your new tactics. Isaal, and now Senau. You know, General Cook, we are a very conservative people. This will take quite some time to assimilate.”

Langoret wasn’t especially conservative, but even she admitted to being a little shell-shocked. ‘Bombarded’, she called it.

- “Wherever you go, Cook, things tend to happen very quickly.”

Tudino was much more open to change. Curious, too.

- “How is she? When you ...?”

- “When we ... what?”

That earned me another solid punch on the arm. “You know!”

- “I don’t. Whatever do you mean, Tudino?”

- “I’ve changed my mind: you are an asshole.” she said, with a grin.

***

If Isa’s change was already widely known, then it wouldn’t be long before word of Tallia and Senau spread. With that in mind, I sat down to do something I should have thought of sooner: writing a letter to Esyle.

It might already be too late for her to hear about it from me first, but at least I could make sure that she would hear the truth.

***

Yna wanted to push deeper into Crolian territory. Neslann sometimes agreed with her. They both seemed to suspect that my infatuation with Isa was clouding my judgment - though neither of them would come out and say so.

- “Why haven’t you pushed ahead?” asked Isa, when I told her about it.

- “Because I’m totally infatuated with you.”

She smiled, and simply waited for the real answer.

“We haven’t seen any Crolians for weeks. No scouts, even. Where are they?”

- “Keeping their distance? I still don’t understand why you haven’t advanced.”

- “Supplies. I know - we marched to Rassbrook with 6 days’ rations. But if we’re going deeper into Crolian territory, we’ll move at the pace of the Penchen regiments. We’re not going without artillery. We need feed for the oxen, food for 14 regiments, more powder ...”

“I don’t know what we’re heading into. I can’t understand where the Crolians are. But I’m not willing to gamble that we can find enough food this time - so we need to be well-supplied before we move forward.”

It took several weeks before the entire army was ready. Our prisoners had been marched west, under guard, along with most of the captured guns.

When we were finally ready, we marched east.

Faregil led the advance guard. I wanted her caution and thoroughness up front. We had strong flank guards, too. Talley’s maps were pretty good for the roads and major settlements, but there might be places where one could conceal an army - and I had no wish to be taken by surprise.

We marched for six days, at the pace of a traditional army - that is, at the speed of the ox-carts. There was no need to hurry. And in all that time, we didn’t see a single Crolian soldier.

Two days later, we reached the main Crolian supply depot in the north.

It was virtually deserted.

***

There were a few dozen families sheltering there, along with fifty or so wounded soldiers. But there was no garrison. No guns, no powder. The ox pens were empty.

- “Gone. All gone.” said a one-armed Crolian sergeant.

- “Gone where?” I asked him.

- “East. That’s where the fighting is.”

- “The fighting? What fighting?”

- “The war against the King.” he said.

***

Civil war in Crolia.

I talked it over with my Colonels. Only Yna wanted to advance further.

- “Which side would we fight against?” asked Langoret.

That summed up the general opinion. If the Crolians wanted to kill each other, we had no business getting in the middle. Napoleon said that you should never interrupt your enemy while they’re making a mistake.

We didn’t know who was on which side, or which outcome would benefit us most.

There were no protests when we turned around and marched back to Kesmansha.

***

I received a summons from Kanitz to report to the capital. I was familiar with her wording by now - it didn’t sound especially urgent: hurry - but don’t rush.

- “Do you want to come?” I asked Tallia. “You and Senau?”

- “No. We can stay here.” she said.

I understood. Tallia had never actually seen me with Isa, as she’d seen me with Oshide and Yehla. And I had no desire to see her with Senau.

But if we travelled together, there might be few opportunities for privacy. And if she came to Cercen, Tallia would have to see her sister, and her parents. Perhaps she was not quite ready for that.

So it was a smaller party that left for Cercen: Isa and me, plus my bodyguards (except for Ishana - I asked her to stay and watch over Tallia).

To be honest, I left Ishana behind because she was the only one of my four bodyguards who appeared to disapprove of my Penchen lover. She never said a word, but Ishana’s face was settling into a permanent frown.

- “She’s not a bad person.” said Koroba.

- “Never said she was. She’s saved my life - more than once. Just as you have.”

- “I know.” I just hoped that she didn’t disapprove as much of Tallia and Senau.

It was a surprisingly pleasant voyage. Isa got along well with Nasta and Koroba, and even coaxed a smile from Madze from time to time. I set a moderate pace, which my bodyguards appreciated. To be honest, though, that pace benefitted Isa and me more.

Stopping early gave us time to find accommodation in an inn, or to bathe in a stream. It also gave us the opportunity to make love every night - which we took full advantage of.

Isa had been to Cercen before, but she’d never seen the Palace, which was our first destination.

- “Shall I wait for you outside?” she asked.

- “No.” I took her hand. “Stay with me.”

Kanitz received us almost immediately. She’d obviously been told that were arriving. The Chancellor smiled at me. “Would you excuse me for a moment, General?” she asked.

Kanitz greeted my bodyguards like old friends - which they were, of course. She went outside with them.

Isa stood beside me, taking in the decor of the Chancellor’s study.

- “She’s very beautiful.” she said.

- “I told you she was.”

- “You should have exaggerated a little more, to do her justice.”

I’d made no secret of my feelings for other women. In fact, I had told Isa exactly how I felt about Tallia, and Esyle, and Tudino. Koroba, too. Isa knew that I’d been with Aneli and Avette - but that I probably wouldn’t be having sex with them in future.

I hadn’t mentioned Themis, though.

When it came to Kanitz, I’d surprised myself, by expressing exactly how I felt.

- “She’s beautiful. Stunning. Only the Queen herself is more perfect. Kanitz is highly intelligent, clever and amusing. She conceals her emotions, but they’re none the less powerful for that. She’s a wonderful sexual partner, too.”

- “She sounds ideal for you.” said Isa. “And she’s a hybrid. Why aren’t you with her?”

I shook my head. “She knew early on that she couldn’t keep me in the Palace. What would I do with myself all day, other than wait for her?”

“But she also loves intrigue for its own sake. She told me that I shouldn’t trust her ...”

- “That sounds like good advice. And very fair of her.”

- “Yes. But it’s been playing on my mind ever since. How can I love her unreservedly, if I can’t trust her? She puts Maia Matila first, second, and third. There’s no conflict there ... but if she ever had to choose between the Queen and me ... “

Kanitz returned.

- “You must be Captain Isaal.” she said. She offered her hand.

- “It’s an honour to meet you, Chancellor.”

- “The honour is mine.” said Kanitz. “I’m only one in a long line of Chancellors. You, on the other hand, are the first ... you may be surprised to find how many people here already know your name.”

“But forgive me - you must be hungry. Or thirsty, at least.”

- “Your pardon, Lord Chancellor.” said Isa. “But you must have matters to discuss with General Cook - political secrets, and ... private matters. I’ve no wish to intrude. If there is somewhere I could wait, until tomorrow ...”

- “That’s very ... understanding of you, Captain.” said Kanitz.

- “Think nothing of it, Chancellor.”

- “You know ... I believe that you and I should have a conversation. Would you be available, say ... tomorrow morning?”

- “I am entirely at your disposal, Countess.” said Isa, with a completely straight face.

Kanitz laughed aloud. “He told you that? Ha!”

It was one of our pet phrases - one that she particularly enjoyed.

When she’d finished laughing, Kanitz found accommodation for Isa, with my bodyguards. Isa bowed, and made her way out.

- “I like her. You know, I really like her. I can hardly imagine what you were thinking when she began to change for you.”

- “I thought she was more male than female, before her Change.”

- “Did you? Well, she’s ... very female, now.” Then Kanitz shook her head, as if to clear it.

“Can we address the war, and politics, first? We can discuss Isaal later, if you’re willing. Perhaps over dinner?”

- “I am at your disposal, Chancellor.”

Kanitz stood, and then came to sit beside me. Without a pause, she flung her arms about me, and pulled me close.

- “You did it.” she whispered. “Not one victory, but two.

“Tell me about them.”

For the next two hours, I related the stories of Kesmansha and Rassbrook, making certain to highlight the contributions of Tudino and Neslann, Votuda and Cyrte. I praised the Penchen General, Leydz, and Langoret and Yna.

Kanitz had already read my official reports, but it never hurt for the Queen’s Chancellor to hear their names and deeds directly from me.

I even gave Berandot her due.

- “What do you know about General Keinarsh’s death?” asked the Chancellor.

- “I was told that it was a training accident.” I said. I’d never forgotten the death of a Scottish King - James II, I think - who’d died when he stood too close to one of his favourite cannons, which exploded. Accidents can happen.

- “Do you believe that?” she asked me.

I raised one eyebrow. “I suggested to Berandot that Keinarsh’s death was ... convenient.”

- “I take it she didn’t like that suggestion.”

- “Not one bit.”

- “I’m looking into it, Cook. But if you can, keep your suspicions to yourself - for the time being. You’ve won the war for us - now we have to make sure that we win the peace.”

- “What does that mean?”

- “With the Crolians fighting each other, we have to wait until one side emerges victorious before we can sign a more permanent peace with them. There’s no point opening negotiations until we know who’s going to win.”

“We may have to be prepared to continue the war.”

- “Do we know who’s fighting? Who the sides are?”

- “Yes - thanks to the Woles, again. The Crolian King was assassinated. Three of his four sons are competing for the support of what’s left of their armies.”

- “And the fourth?”

- “Dead.” said Kanitz.

- “Is one of the three Prince Ellem Anry?” I’d captured him at Limset; his ransom had effectively ended the last war.

- “Yes. He’s with the southern army. In terms of numbers, it’s the strongest. Many of its units, though, are the least well-trained and equipped. They weren’t supposed to go on the offensive at all.”

- “But they haven’t been defeated. They still have all their guns.”

Kanitz nodded. “There’s also the Reserve army. We don’t know their numbers or quality. We have learned that they’ve declared for Ellem Anry’s youngest brother. Both Princes are trying to win over what remains of the northern and central armies.”

- “And the third brother?”

- “We don’t know. And that lack of intelligence is making it difficult for the Queen. The nobles want answers we can’t provide.”

- “You’d think they’d be happy with Kesmansha and Rassbrook.” I said.

- “They were - for a few days. Then it was back to plotting.”

- “We’re winning the war. What do they have to plot about?”

- “Plenty. Who commands the armies. Why we aren’t invading Crolia and forcing them to come to terms. There’s a sickness affecting the oxen, in the south. And then there’s the Queen ...”

- “She’s pregnant again, isn’t she?” The whole army had heard that news.

- “Yes. But if it’s not a girl this time ...”

- “Ah.”

Poor Kanitz. She looked tired, and a little worn down. I moved behind her, and began to massage her neck and shoulders.

- “Mmm ... that’s good.” she said. “Are you really going to stay with me, tonight?”

- “Isa practically ordered me to. Not that I needed orders ...”

- “I definitely like her.” said Kanitz. “Shall we move upstairs?”

***

Isa met with the Chancellor in the morning. I wasn’t included.

Instead, I had a chance to visit the nursery, to see my children. Airta’s twins, Oscel and Caneia, were already old enough to have tutors. Tonola was entering a gawky, coltish phase.

Her mother was visibly pregnant. She hugged me, and held me tight for a moment, despite the presence of several attendants.

- “I wish that I could kiss you, too.” she whispered.

“You’ve done it again.” said Themis, aloud. “We are in your debt, General Cook.”

There wasn’t much more she could say, with so many others present. She asked about Langoret, Tudino and Tallia. I politely inquired about the Queen’s health.

When I returned to the Chancellor’s study, she still wasn’t finished with Isa.

That gave me time to worry about what kind of reception we were going to receive when we went home, to the Belere.

***

Esyle was standing on the front steps, with her parents, Talley and Tisucha. She didn’t stand on ceremony, though. Esyle rushed forward, and threw herself on me.

She didn’t say anything, but she buried her head against my shoulder, and squeezed hard enough to cut off my circulation.

Esyle released me, and stepped back. She smiled.

- “Hello, Captain Isaal. I’m Tallia’s sister. Welcome to the Belere.”

- “Thank you for having me, Lady.”

- “Just Esyle. And ... may I call you ... Isa?”

I thought that Isa might cry, right there. I was the only person who called her by that name - which she’d begun to associate with being female. Esyle couldn’t possibly have chosen a better way to make her feel welcome.

Tisucha was a wonder, too. She treated Isa like a long lost friend. It was Esyle, though, who took Isa on a tour of the Palace, while Tisucha took me to see my children. They were thriving.

Esyle and Isa came to join us, eventually. They were holding hands. Both of them looked as if they’d been crying.

***

We had a fine dinner, with a variety of foods.

- “This is the best meal I’ve ever had, away from home.” said Isa. Thank you so much.”

- “You are very welcome.” said Tisucha.

Talley produced a bottle of spirits, and poured for everyone.

“We don’t mean to put you on the spot, dear,” said Tisucha, “but could you tell us about your Change? If it’s not too private? We’d dearly like to know how it was for you - and ...”

- “And for Tallia?” asked Isa.

- “Yes.” My mother-in-law smiled. “Yes, please.”

Isa tried to explain what it was like to be Penchen - without gender. She told Esyle and her parents about Jiril, her first lover. Tears came to Isa’s eyes. I reached to put my arm around her shoulders, and collided with Esyle, who was doing the same, from the other side. I ceded the field to her.

It wasn’t too difficult for Esyle and Tisucha to understand. Westrons share one thing with Penchens: neither species really understands what causes them to go into hemmer - or to Change.

Isa told them of first meeting me.

- “I was interested, right away - and then impressed. I thought I was admiring Cook’s military skills; I was thrilled to learn from him. Then I began to realize that I respected him. Respect became admiration. After that, I can’t quite explain what happened - I don’t fully understand it myself. It wasn’t supposed to be possible.”

- “And Tallia?” said Talley. It was the first time he’d spoken, in some time.

Isa understood what he needed.

- “I know that you love your wife, Sir. Absolutely and irrevocably. Tallia spoke of you, often. Please understand: I love Cook with every fibre of my being. I would happily die for him. Just as Senau would die for Tallia.”

Talley cleared his throat. “Pardon me for asking, but - what happens when ...”

- “When I change back?” said Isa. “That’s alright; it is what it is. I’ll be genderless again. I’ll still love Cook. I just won’t be able to express it physically.”

- “There will always be a place for you here.” said Esyle.

Everyone fell silent, at that. Isa clasped Esyle’s hand, and squeezed it.

- “Why don’t you two ... retire, for the evening?” said Tisucha, nodding at Esyle and me. “I’m sure that Talley and I have many more questions for Isa. That is ... if you don’t mind, dear.”

AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,325 Followers
12