Westrons Pt. 28

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We had to go in the opposite direction. Take advantage of our superiority in artillery - we’d captured scores of guns at Kesmansha and Rassbrook. Put together a powerful, gun-heavy force, capable of meeting the Crolians in battle - and kicking their asses.

- “Cook?” said Themis. “We have to stop them. We can’t let them rape and pillage far and wide.”

- “We fight them, then.” I said. “Meet them, and fight them.”

- “That’s what you’ll have to do.” said Kanitz. “The Queen has chosen you to command our main army.”

***

Kanitz called me in alone, the very next day. I wasn’t especially surprised to see the Queen there, along with her younger sister.

- “Majesty.” I said, with a bow. “Highness.”

- “Did we not agree that I should be Matila, to you, Cook? In private, at any rate?”

- “As you wish ... Matila.”

That the Queen was here at all was a testament to how worried she was. Normally, she left military matters to Kanitz - and to Themis.

- “Can we win a battle against so many, Cook?”

- “We can. The army that won at Kesmansha is very good. Experienced, and confident. The Colonels are excellent, and the soldiers trust them. Quality will tell, Matila. We have excellent troops. If they’re well-supplied, we can win.”

The Queen rose to her feet. We all quickly stood up.

- “I trust you, Cook. Wenzla and Simonia agree with my decision.”

- “Thank you, Majesty.”

- “I will leave the details to the three of you.” With that, the most beautiful woman on the continent left the room.

I let out a deep breath. Kanitz and Themis both smiled.

- “I know.” said the Queen’s sister. “She does have that effect on males.”

- “To business.” said Kanitz. “We move your army to the central front, and a portion of Berandot’s army goes north. The southern army can stay put, and we can siphon off however many troops we need to bring to your front.”

“The problem is, who can we put in command of the North and South?”

These two forces would probably not see any serious action. Probably, though, isn’t the same as definitely. We needed competent Generals to command there.

Unfortunately, Vis and Brune were both dead, executed as traitors. Keinarsh was also dead. The list of capable, available Westron Generals was very short.

- “Berandot.” I said.

- “I don’t trust her.” said Kanitz.

- “Then give her the southern front.” I suggested. “She doesn’t know those troops. But I don’t think you’ll have to worry about her.”

Kanitz hemmed and hawed a bit, but let Themis talk her into it.

- “Who for the North, then? Langoret?”

- “She could do it. But I need her with the Central Army. If anything happens to me, she’s the only one who could take command.”

- “Tudino?”

- “I need her, too.”

- “Why don’t you suggest someone, Cook?” said Themis.

So I did.

- “Avette?” said Kanitz. “Why?”

- “She’s careful. Marching to Limset was the only impetuous thing she’s ever done - and that only happened because she felt that it touched on her honour.”

“Give her Semmana’s regiment as well. Both are trained in the new tactics. Semmana is a defensive specialist, and they work well in tandem.”

Kanitz was scratching her chin, but Themis nodded.

- “What do you need for the central army?” she asked.

- “Langoret. Tudino. Neslann. Votuda. Yna. Faregil, Frad, and Cyrte. Leydz and his Penchens.”

- “That’s only 12 regiments.” said Kanitz.

- “Give me Lupona, from the central army.” I’d taken a liking to the Colonel, when we met at Rassbrook. She could certainly tell me which were the best regiments in the army that had once been Keinarsh’s and then Berandot’s.

- “Five or six of the best from the central front, the same from the south, and two more Penchen regiments.” said Themis.

We spent some time discussing numbers and movements. I kept returning to the subject of supplies.

- “What are you asking for, Cook?” said Kanitz. ““I don’t understand.”

- “Make Tallia Quartermaster General. Put her in charge of supplying all three armies.”

Kanitz actually grinned at me.

- “If anyone can do it, she can.”

- “Exactly.”

- “Anything else?”

- “Yes.” I said. “Promotions for several of my Colonels. A rank higher than Colonel, but below General.” I was thinking of Brigadier, but there was no Westron word for that rank.

- “Why?” asked Kanitz.

- “Because they may need to command a group of regiments. Three, or four. I want them to be instantly obeyed. They need a more elevated rank than Colonel.” If it was too soon for Army Corps, I could at least introduce the concept of divisions.

- “Colonel-General?” said Themis.

For some odd reason, I thought of Heinz Guderian. It wasn’t a bad title.

- “That would do.”

- “Who?” said Kanitz. She was frowning. I don’t if she was calculating the financial, or the political cost.

- “Langoret and Tudino.” Obviously.

Kanitz nodded.

- “Avette. That way you don’t have to make her a General. Yet.”

- “That makes sense. It gives her something to work for. Any more?”

- “Votuda. And Neslann.”

- “Who?” said Kanitz. She was thinking of their political stature, which was negligible.

- “Tudino and Neslann won Kesmansha for us. Votuda guaranteed the victory by arriving at exactly the right time, at exactly the right place. She may be the best commander in the New Model Army. And Neslann got us across the bridge over the Vonau - otherwise, we wouldn’t have made it to Rassbrook.”

- “I will ask the Queen for her approval.” said Kanitz. Themis, smiled, though, which I took as a very good sign.

***

“But I want to be where you are.” said Tallia. “Organizing your army.”

- “Name me one person who could be the Quartermaster General - other than you.”

- “You’re trying to keep me away from the fighting.”

- “That’s probably reason number six or seven. Reason number One is that no one can else can do this as well as you will.”

- “Hmmph.” She was still grumpy, but coming around. “What are reasons two through five?”

- “Kanitz trusts you. She’ll give you what you ask for. You’ll think of things that I haven’t even considered yet.” I said.

- “One more.” She was beginning to smile a little, which I hadn’t seen for some time.

- “It’s a promotion. And it could bring you to the attention of the Queen herself.”

- “Would I get a special uniform? A one-of-a-kind uniform?”

- “You’d pretty much have to, wouldn’t you?”

- “All right.” she said, pretending to give in reluctantly. “I’ll do it for you.”

*****