What Can I Do to Make You Love Me?

Story Info
A confession of love.
1.2k words
4.58
18.8k
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She sighed. Why was she doing this to herself? Why was she building up her hopes, just so he could dash them again? She chastised herself for her stupidity, but couldn't stop being who and what she was. After all, who can win a battle against their own heart?

She drove into the parking lot in the airport, and went into the arrivals lounge to wait for him. Perhaps this time he might have come back for her, rather than one of his girlfriends. She sat down and waited for his flight to arrive - waited and prayed for him to find it in his heart to return her love.

What can I do to make you love me?
What can I do to make you care?
What can I say to make you feel this?
What can I do to get you there?

* * * * * * * *

He sat in the seat of the aircraft, thinking about her. He knew she would be there in the airport to meet him. She was always there when he came back. In a way, he came back home to her. But she had always distanced herself, not shown any interest in getting involved with him romantically, always preferring to be his friend.

He'd tried, so many times to tell her how he felt, but when the time came to speak of his love he pulled back. He was afraid that she would reject him, and he didn't know what he would do if she did. He lived hoping that someday, she would love him too. If he lost that hope, he wouldn't be able to survive.

Maybe, today, he really was coming home to her. Perhaps by some miracle this time she might have come to understand his love for her.

He looked out his window as the aircraft descended; his heart filled with hope. Hope that she would accept his love.

What can I do to make you love me?
What can I do to make you care?
What can I say to make you feel this?
What can I do to get you there?

* * * * * * * *

She stared restlessly at the list of arrivals, impatient for his plane to land. She sat down again, her hands clenched. She made her decision. She would tell him today. No more waiting. She had kept it to herself for too long.

She remembered the day they met in middle school. She had been a shy and reclusive person, glued to her textbooks while he had been the popular basketball player.

They struck up a strange friendship and remained friends all through high school and college. It was in college that things started to change. She began to become more aware of his lean body, handsome face and innate gentleness. Her heart quickened every time he touched her and she started to feel jealous of the girls he dated.

She started making an extra effort to appear attractive when she was with him. She abandoned her comfortable large t-shirts and loose jeans for more feminine tops, jeans and skirts that were actually her size. But still he did not notice her. To him she was still Gabriella, his best friend and confidante.

Many times she had rushed up to her room crying her heart out because he had hinted about starting a serious relationship with another girl. He had broken her heart so many times, but she still loved him, still cared for him.

She stared up at the arrivals board again, waiting.

What can I do to make you love me?
What can I do to make you care?
What can I say to make you feel this?
What can I do to get you there?

* * * * * * * *

He unbuckled his seatbelt when his plane landed. He rose to take his bag from the overhead compartment. He walked down the aisle his mind still filled with thoughts of Gabriella.

He didn't know exactly when he started liking her, perhaps it was high school. All he knew was that suddenly he began to treat her differently, like he would a girlfriend. He tried all through high school and college to get her to feel the same way about him, but she had remained oblivious to all his advances.

He started dating, hoping that if she really liked him, jealousy would urge her to raise objections. But no matter who he brought to meet her, she smiled and wished the relationship well.

In college she began to dress more attractively and started to come out of her shell a little. She had quite a number of guys waiting to take her out. Gradually the studious and reclusive Gabriella of high school days had turned into this very pretty woman who was outgoing and vivacious.

He stopped this whole dating fiasco after he graduated from college. He went to work as a journalist for a leading newspaper and she started free-lancing for several local magazines.

Even then, they still met each other almost everyday, but she never made an advance. She never told him she loved him.

"Can't you see where you're going?" an angry voice cried out, startling him from his reverie. He apologized to the woman whom he had bumped into and quickly made his way to the waiting busses that would take them to the terminal. As he hurried on and took a seat, his thoughts again went back to Gabriella.

'I'll tell her today', he decided. 'No matter what, I'll tell her today.'

What can I do to make you love me?
What can I do to make you care?
What can I say to make you feel this?
What can I do to get you there?

* * * * * * * *

Gabriella spotted him going to pick up his luggage, the sight of him making her heart start beating faster as always. She watched as his tall figure easily bent down to pick up his suitcase and turned to scan the lounge, looking for her.

She smiled slightly and raised her hand when his gaze shifted in her direction and he moved towards her quickly through the throng of passengers.

She took a deep breath, it was now or never.

"Joshua I need…"

The words caught in her throat as his mouth suddenly swooped down upon hers, silencing her. Tears filled her eyes as he drew her close, burying his face in her hair.

"Gabriella, I love you. I've loved you for years but have never told you. I don't know what you'll do now; if you'll push me away or accept me, but I had to tell you today."

He moved back from her, looking anxiously into her eyes.

"Joshua," she said, as she hugged him fiercely, "I love you too you silly man."

No more waiting, no more, aching.
No more fighting, no more, trying.

________________________

This story just kinda snuck up on me. Its again a pretty short story, but I am satisfied with it that way. Please do send me your feedback. Again, three cheers to my editor Ray for looking through this story as well.

The lyrics used are from the song What Can I do (to make you love me) by The Corrs.