What Goes Around Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So what do you say you and I head over to the big house, where you and your mate can spend some time together?"

Nina was his mate? It didn't make any sense. He hated Nina. She was terrible and a snob. There is no way that Luna would have picked someone like that for him. But he heard all the stories about true love and soul mates over the years assuming that was never in the cards for him. Maybe it was? Maybe it was his defect that was blocking his feelings. Hugh decided it was worth a chance to find out and see. He nodded his head and the Alpha patted him on the back before they made their way to his house.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Someone was lightly shaking Daphne's shoulders, but she didn't want to get up. She let out a groan and hoped they would go away.

"I know you must be tired," a sweet voice said. "But you're not far from a warm comfy bed, much better than sitting under a tree."

Daphne opened her eyes and the face talking to her came into focus. It was a beautiful woman, with long black hair and large almond colored eyes. Her tan skin accentuated by her brown clothing. All the memories came crashing back to Daphne and she realized her hands were already untied.

"You speak English?" Daphne asked.

"My name is Katalantia," she said. "But you can call me Kat. What is your name?"

"Daphne."

"Can you stand up Daphne?"

Daphne nodded her head. Kat gripped her elbow and helped her up. There were four men with her, including the one who tied her to the tree.

"Where are you taking me?" Daphne asked.

"Brooksinos found you," Kat said. "He said you watched your father die and then pulled yourself to safety. It would have been wrong for him to leave such a strong girl to fend for herself."

"How did you say his name?" Daphne asked. "I want to thank him."

"You can just call him Brooks," Kat said.

Daphne walked up to him and bowed her head.

"Thank you Brooks," she said.

"You're welcome," Brooks replied.

"You speak English too?" Daphne asked.

"Not well," he said.

"You're going to come home with me tonight," Kat said. "I will feed you, get you cleaned up and something to wear. Then you can sleep for as long as you need, then tomorrow you can tell me about your troubles and how to get you back on your path?"

"Thank you," Daphne said. "Thank you so much."

She felt like crying again, but this time it was with tears of happiness.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When Hugh approached the big house he started heading around to the back.

"Where are you going?" Alpha Garrett asked.

"Inside?" Hugh said.

"You can come in the front door."

The last time Hugh went inside the front door was when his mother was still alive. They entered the main sitting room. On the chairs were Nina and her mother Josephine. Josephine stood up first.

"Hugh," she said. "It is so good to see you. You've grown up so big."

She walked towards him with her arms wide open, ready for an embrace. Now this was starting to get really weird. The last time Josephine Garrett had spoken to him was on the day that his mother died.

Hugh stood over her body, crying and clutching her hand.

"That's it," Josephine said. "Your promise is over."

"What about her son?" Alpha Garrett replied.

"What was the pledge you made to your father?" Josephine asked.

"That I would always look out for Amy," Alpha Garret said.

"Amy is dead now," Josephine replied. "Not once did you pledge to take care of her halfbreed bastard."

"You expect me to toss him out?" Alpha Garrett asked.

"Don't be so dramatic," Josephine said. "It's best to start treating him for what he really is. An Omega, a low level one at that. He's probably lower than an Omega. If you let him keep living here with us and playing with our Alpha daughter it will only be harder on him in the long run."

Hugh didn't realize they were even talking about him at the time. He assumed it was some other poor little boy whose mother recently died, but later that night he moved out to the barn. He spotted Josephine from time-to-time over the next fifty-five years and she acted like he was a stranger.

Before he could back away Josephine caught him in a light embrace. He didn't know what to do with his hands since he had no desire to hug her back. She pulled away and looked up at him with a smile.

"You're so tall," Josephine said. "Maybe almost six and a half feet, you should put some weight on. Fill yourself out a little. Of course our Nina is almost six feet tall, so she can keep up with you somewhat."

She leaned in and gave Hugh a kiss on the cheek, making him more confused than he was before.

"No need to worry," Josephine said. "We have a long time to catch up with one another. Especially once you two are mated."

Josephine moved out of the way and Nina stepped forward. The candlelight danced across her face. Hugh expected his wolf to go crazy if she was his mate, but instead he was indifferent. She walked towards him and he noticed she had on even more makeup than this morning. As Hugh was thinking that Nina flung herself forward and wrapped her arms around his neck, smashing her mouth into his.

His wolf still gave no inkling that this was amazing, but he didn't seem to mind it either. Hugh felt her tongue trying to break through his lips and he let himself relax. Even though he was seen as an outcast in the pack that did not mean this was his first kiss. Lots of the girls thought he was attractive and would come visit him in the fields or at his home. He always imagined they had some fantasy about angering their fathers. This kiss did not feel any different from any of those.

"We will let you two get some privacy," Josephine said. "We know how mates can be when they first encounter each other."

Hugh assumed that meant the two older wolves would leave the room, but Nina grabbed his hand and started dragging him up the stairs. They rounded them until the top floor, where the Alphas and a few select Betas had their rooms. Nina stopped at the second door on the left and opened it up. She set the candle she was carrying down on the dresser, Hugh noticed the room was large, larger than his entire cottage. Before he could think anymore Nina pulled him by the hand and threw him down on the bed before jumping on top of him and kissing him some more.

He noticed her hands moving and saw she had pulled the top of her dress down. Then she grabbed each one of Hugh's hands and placed them over her, squeezing his fingers for him. She was more than a handful, but something about this felt so wrong.

"Wait," Hugh said. "Stop."

He turned his head to the side so she would stop kissing him. Nina seemed to pick up on his cues and stood up from the bed.

"This doesn't feel right to me," Hugh said.

Bathed with a single candle Nina nodded her head. She reached behind her and pulled a ribbon. The rest of her dress dropped to the floor. This was a first for Hugh. She reached for his pants and started to unbuckle them.

"I mean," Hugh said. "You're beautiful, but if you're my mate I think we should wait."

"I am your mate," Nina said.

It was the first words she had spoken. They weren't filled with love or assurance, or even lust. Instead they were more of an order. For the first time all night Hugh's wolf wanted to come to the surface and snap at her.

"Do not bark orders at me," Hugh said.

He was shocked at his outburst. Nina seemed to get the idea though. She dropped the buckle on his pants as well as her head. Hugh felt bad. It wasn't her fault he wasn't feeling the bond.

"What if we just lay here instead?" Hugh asked. "We could talk a little."

"I am awfully tired," Nina said. "I was so worried about seeing you again today that I think I rattled myself."

"Then no talk," Hugh said. "I should head back to my cabin."

"Please stay," Nina said. "Please?"

"Sleep in your bed with you?" Hugh asked.

"I want...need to be close to you," Nina said.

"I suppose that is alright," Hugh said.

He pulled the covers back and Nina climbed in, not bothering to put any of the clothing back on. She snuggled up to Hugh and he awkwardly draped his arm around her. He never thought he would have a mate and he was starting to think he still never would.

~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~**~

"Your tribe is so big," Daphne said. "Is that the right word? Tribe?"

"Yes," Kat said. "We are one of the largest in the area."

"Probably the whole continent," Daphne said. "And you're the leader?"

"My father," Kat said. "But he is getting older and I am taking on more and more responsibility."

"My father was the same way," Daphne said. "I mean, he didn't care that I was a girl. He taught me how to shoot, care for our crops, defend myself, but the downside is I'm not very good at sewing or cooking."

Daphne loved the dress they had given her. It was the same brown material as Kats, and it showed off a lot more of her skin that her previous dress had. Her arms were practically bare and the hem stopped just below her knees. She wore a belt that cinched at her waist giving the look a very feminine feel. Daphne slept better here than she had since leaving North Carolina.

"I am sorry about your family," Kat said.

"Thank you," Daphne said. "You know what I feel worse about? I left my father's body. He was dragged off in the flood. I didn't get the chance to bury him.

"I believe it is more important to him that you are still alive than honoring his body," Kat said. "He wasn't there anymore. His spirit went on."

"That is a beautiful thing to say," Daphne said, and she meant it.

"Now about your plans," Kat said. "Would you like to go on to Oregon or back to North Carolina?"

"Neither," Daphne said. "I don't have anyone anywhere. The closest city is probably the best bet for me."

Kat gave a frown.

"I'm only saying that because I don't want to impose on you, any more than I already have," Daphne said. "Don't even make any special trips for me. Just when the next person heads out close enough to a village I can go with?"

"I'm sure something can be worked out," Kat said. "Come out with me. I will introduce you to my father. If you're going to stay with us for a while we will have to put you to work."

Daphne smiled, and followed Kat out of her structure. She read stories about Indians but these people were not what she expected at all. These were nice caring people who did so without reason. It made her sick to think about the stories she had read.

People looked at Daphne and whispered. Her blond hair and fair features made her stand out pretty bad. They stopped walking and Kat tapped on the door to a building twice. Someone responded in another language and Kat walked inside. Seated on the floor was an older woman. She had supplied in front of her, but Daphne didn't know what any of them were. Kat and her spoke for a moment, then signaled for Daphne to take a seat.

"This is my grandmother," Kat said. "She is very spiritual."

"Like your tribe's minister?" Daphne asked.

"No," Kat said. "More like the tribe thinks she's looney, but I believe her. She has led me to good luck in the past. I wanted her to see you."

The older woman started to talk in the other language. Kat started to answer back. Then the woman started repeating one word over and over again.

"What is she saying?" Daphne asked.

"Sorry," Kat said. "She must not be herself today. Maybe she needs more sleep."

"But what is she saying?" Daphne asked.

"She's saying 'wolf'," Kat said.

"As in I'm a wolf? Like I'm going to hurt you?" Daphne asked.

"I wouldn't worry too much," Kat said. "Let's go meet my father."

The older woman kept chanting the word at Daphne even until they were outside the door.

"Please do me the favor of keeping that to yourself," Kat said. "I am sure my father will be pleased to meet you, but he tends to believe my grandmother as well. I don't want to put any ideas in his head."

"I promise not to repeat it," Daphne said.

She couldn't understand why the woman was chanting that anyway. There was nothing wolflike about Daphne at all. She would never try to harm anyone settled here.

12