What Now? Ch. 01

Story Info
Changes at Ross, repercussions of discovery.
7.6k words
4.72
14.2k
29

Part 1 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 12/22/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
KemMyst
KemMyst
1,303 Followers

Dear Readers,

Have had a lot of computer trouble of late which has led to about 3 months of downtime. However, things are back up and running.

Here find the next installment in the Lyssa and Emmett saga.

Enjoy,

KemMyst

******

Stephanie woke, feeling chilled.

There had been a cold snap and they had left a couple of the windows open. But, normally, their combined body heat kept them comfortable. Had he left their bed again?

She reached over and contacted flesh. But it felt wrong, cool.

She felt of his chest, listened for his heartbeat.

No pulse. No breathing. Her stomach flipped.

[Healer! Beta! Help me!] The call would rouse the entire pack.

She ran for the bathroom and lost the entire contents of her stomach.

Sampson burst in, followed shortly thereafter by Sharilyn.

Sampson dropped to his knees and howled. He could smell it.

Sharilyn swallowed and checked Calvin, then went to check on the Alpha female.

Calvin Ross, Alpha of Ross pack, was dead.

Stephanie sat on the edge of the bed, staring at her mate's carcass.

He was dead, it was nothing more than that now.

The healer had left and the Beta was keeping the other wolves away.

Questions, however, came in. She didn't answer any of them.

The Madam Alpha didn't seem to want to leave her mate's side anytime soon so Sampson decided he had to start arrangements.

[Edward, Paul, please prepare a pyre for our Alpha.]

[Yes, Beta.] [Of course, Beta.]

Next would be the phone calls. [Madam Alpha, would you like me to start calling the other Alphas?]

Three breaths before she turned to look at him. Jade green eyes held his gaze briefly before turning back to her mate's body. She practically whispered her answer. "Yes."

Sampson started with the Wyeth pack, whom they were closest to.

---

Randall Wyeth put down the receiver and dropped his head. The red-haired female in the room looked at him. "Ran? Mate? What's happened?"

The lives of the packs had been turned upside down. It was two months prior the people in the area had found out about werewolves.

Now, their oldest leader was dead. His successor was his mate and would be the first female to lead a pack.

If she could keep them together. If she survived long enough.

But, first, the would see their friend off.

He swallowed, inhaled, blew out the breath. "Ran?" Ariel was growing concerned at her mate's lack of response.

"Cal's dead."

"Oh, poor Stephanie."

"She's going to have a difficult time of it."

"It would have been hard before, now, with everyone watching?"

"What will the humans think? What will they see?"

"Perhaps we can help her, provide some support."

"However she'll let us."

[Wolves of Wyeth, please gather in one half hour.]

Emmett and Lyssa appeared in the Alpha's office pretty quickly. Madeline showed up a little later, hands covered in dirt. The garden was being planted. Her mate, Erich, was out patrolling.

"The Alpha Ross has died."

Sounds of acknowledgement and dismay were heard.

"Madam Beta, would you please inform our second Beta?"

Lyssa nodded. [Erich...] A small dark brown pup with silver-tipped fur jostled her as he ran by. Emmett scooped up his son. [Erich, Alpha Ross has died.]

Lyssa was the only wolf in the packs capable of broadcasting far enough to reach the other packs or those in their own pack who were beyond the den.

Erich would be returning to the den now. They all had to be on the Ross range at sundown.

---

The Alphas and Betas, minus one, gathered at the balcony. The pack was gathered below in the front hall. The mood was anticipatory, as they were only called like this for announcements of one type or another. Some speculated as to the reason - a human attack, perhaps? Natalie's pup was squalling. She brought him to a breast to quiet him.

"My pack, I bring you sad news. The Alpha Ross has died."

There were sounds of sympathy and a couple of howls from wolves who had originally been Ross pack.

"In light of the recent resolution, our old packmate, the Madam Alpha, is now Alpha Ross."

The passage of that resolution wasn't fully supported, nor was the one before it. Some of the pack growled lightly, some murmured.

"At this time, my pack, we must avoid dissension. We need to maintain a united front with the other packs. The resolution was clear and was passed."

Later that afternoon, six wolves from Wyeth went to the Ross den. There they joined the Alphas and Betas of the other packs. Clothes were shed as soon as the visitors disembarked.

Members of the Ross pack ranged to one side of the bier that held the body of the Calvin Ross. Stephanie Ross, the new Alpha Ross, stood near the head. The Ross Betas, Sampson and Amanda, were just behind her. The other Alphas and Betas stood opposite the Ross pack members. Some nodded to each other and a couple of silent words were exchanged. The requisite lit torches stood close at hand.

As the light faded, Stephanie continued to stare grimly at her mate's body. Several wolves began to fidget.

Sampson sighed and walked over to one of the torches. As he touched it a snarl ripped from his Alpha's throat. He quickly snatched his hand away. A startled whimper, fearful, came from one side, from a blue-eyed, blond wolf.

It was another minute or two, when shadows covered his face, that she finally moved. She grabbed the torch closest to her and thrust it into the wood below his head.

She didn't move back as the flames licked and grew. Some saw her lips move but no one heard what she said.

"You bastard," she whispered, "you left me with this at the worst possible time. I can't do this alone, you son of a bitch."

As the flames reached his hair a howl rose from the pack. After a second, the others joined in. Long, and mournful, the sound rose in the spring evening as the flames continued to grow.

Any human looking at the scene would find it both bizarre and macabre. Five dozen or so naked people watching a body burn as it got darker. This would be their first death since their discovery by humans. Once this death was registered with the human authorities they would likely want to witness some of their funerals.

Stephanie finally stepped back as some of the younger wolves began to drift away.

Sampson watched the others, as well as his Alpha, who appeared to be oblivious to anything but the fire's work.

The collapse of the bier generally released the attendants to return to duties or other pursuits. The pack members began to move off and some of the Alphas also turned to leave. The new Alpha of Ross suddenly took notice of her surroundings.

[Alpha Wyeth?]

[Yes, Alpha Ross?]

[I would like to come to Wyeth tomorrow, if you will let me. I wish to consult with your healer.]

[Is there a problem with your healer? Are you ill?]

[I don't want to start rumors if there's no problem.]

Randall hesitated for a moment. This was not good. [Of course, Stephanie.]

The new Ross Alpha stood by the burning pile, then the embers, until late into the night. Sampson stood by, watching her. She had refused food this day and he was worried about what she might do. He couldn't force her to live for the good of the pack.

Things were very volatile right now. Tobias would have already made a move, if he had lived.

She finally moved at full dark, going back to the den, into the Alpha suite, where she fell into bed...

---

Lyssa was off again to visit the packs' lawyer. They had been very busy. The local authorities were having regular meetings with her, as the representative of the packs. They were at a bit of a loss as how to deal with supernatural creatures.

Thankfully, they had been able to head off the first, fearful response. There had been talk of rounding them all up but common sense prevailed; that the packs had been around for years without trouble. Or much.

Lyssa had also had to deal with the circumstances of her disappearance from the human world. From when she had joined the pack and mated Emmett. She'd simply not shown up for work one day; dropped off the grid. Her house had been burned to the ground by a vengeful ex-boyfriend. The man her own son, in furred form, had bitten on the Day of Discovery. That was the day that three of their kind had shifted to wolf, or intermediate form, in the presence of humans. The day that humans had learned of their existence.

There were creditors after her and Ronnie, the ex-boyfriend, was suing her. The police, of course, had wanted to know why she had disappeared. Their first thought had been that Ronnie had killed her, then burned her house. Or vice versa. Then, when she was found alive, they thought that she might have been abducted. After all, there had been several recent incidents of women found after years in captivity. She had assured them that that was not the case.

She had tried to take out her frustrations in the circle and her sparring partners were the worse for wear. Madeline had ended up with a nasty scar across her chest.

---

Stephanie arrived midmorning, driven by one of the Ross wolves. She had told Trevor, as they travelled, that she was going to have to learn to drive. She has always resisted while Calvin was alive.

She was greeted by the Wyeth Alphas and they went to the Alpha suite. Stephanie was uneasy; the full weight of what had happened hadn't hit her yet.

"Your first priority must be to take control of the pack. Transition unsettles them; they need stability."

Stephanie showed annoyance in her answer. "I know."

"You have limited experience as Alpha; I'm trying to advise you."

"That's not why I'm here. I need to know if I have to plan for a few months or years."

Both Randall and Ariel examined her, Ariel a bit more closely. She seemed healthy; her color was good. What was amiss?

"As you wish."

"Before Natalie arrives, I need your assurance that no one will know until I choose to reveal the problem."

"Are you sure you don't want Foster's healer?" The Foster's healer was a certified M.D. She shook her head. "And Natalie, not Wade?" She nodded. "She will be bringing her pup with her."

"Fine."

Natalie came upstairs, confused, carrying her son. She stood in the room with the pup squirming in her arms. "Natalie, you will not divulge anything you discover in this room."

Her eyes went wide. "Alpha?"

"Do you understand?"

She swallowed. "Yes, Alpha."

"The Alpha Ross wishes to discuss some medical concerns with you."

She then whipped around to look at Stephanie. "Me, Alpha?"

After a moment or two, she composed herself. "Please, Alpha Ross, what are your symptoms?"

"Mostly, I'm tired. Sometimes, I'm nauseous."

Natalie's eyes cut to Ariel's and the two women exchanged a look. Natalie turned slowly back to Stephanie "Madam Alpha, when was your last heat?"

All the blood drained from Stephanie's face. "No. No, I can't be."

Natalie approached her slowly, passing her pup to Ariel. She indicated Stephanie's abdomen. "May I?"

Stephanie backed away. "It's impossible."

Randall spoke. "Alpha Ross, you have managed the impossible a few times in the past few years."

Natalie pressed her ear to Stephanie's stomach. She listened for a few moments, then straightened.. Seeing the look on the Ross Alpha's face, she gave Stephanie a sad smile.

"Selene," she dropped her head into her hands, "why did he have to die now?" She then picked her head up, looked at Randall, and the volume of her voice rose. "Why did he do this to me?"

Ariel passed little Hugh back to his mother. "Thank you, Natalie." Natalie left, closing the door behind her.

Ariel moved closer. "Stephanie, when was your last heat?"

Suddenly recognizing her old Madam Alpha, she blurted. "I want it gone."

"Stephanie, you don't mean that." Ariel made motions to shoo her mate from the room. She needed, right now, to focus all her attention on the new Ross Alpha. Stephanie's fight or flight response was tipping toward flight. Under scrutiny of humans, they couldn't afford to have an Alpha go wild.

"Stephanie, sit."

Ariel had been her Madam Alpha most of her life. Automatically, she obeyed. However, she startled as Ariel sat beside her.

They sat, quietly, for a few minutes. Ariel listened to her heart rate, heard it start to slow. Randall had slipped out.

"Stephanie, what would Calvin say?"

"He's dead. He won't say anything."

"Stephanie," Ariel reproached.

"He'd be thrilled. But, Madam Alpha, it's one thing too many."

"Stephanie, you can call me Ariel." Ariel gave her a pointed look.

Stephanie had no answer to that. "What have you eaten today?" Stephanie shrugged. "Did you eat yesterday?" She shook her head. "If you don't eat, you'll lose the pup. You could be killed if you get weak and are challenged." Stephanie huffed. "What sounds good to eat? Venison? Beef?" No reply. "Bacon? Eggs? Cheese?"

"Pork sausage?"

Ariel watched quietly as Stephanie ate about a dozen sausage patties and half a loaf of bread. She didn't offer advice or any of her experiences with her pregnancies. Since Stephanie was still unsure of her course of action, Ariel would not press but would answer, if asked. Stephanie didn't ask.

A frantic call came to Wyeth den. "Madam Alpha! Uh, Alpha. Please, they're attacking him."

Stephanie drew a deep, ragged breath. "Who's attacking Sampson?"

"They're challenging him for Alpha!"

A growl of rage ripped from her throat. "Coming."

[Trevor, bring the car. We're returning, quickly.]

[Yes, Alpha.]

Just before they reached the gate, Stephanie ripped off her clothing. Trevor, as commanded, sped across the grounds toward the circle.

When the car's tires spun, digging into the moist earth, she ripped the door open and jumped out. She raced to the top of the bowl that was their circle and snarled. [I am your Alpha! You fight me!]

Stephanie leapt down, knocking Paul off Sampson as the two wolves remained locked in combat.

She stood over Paul, teeth at his throat. She growled. [Do you challenge me?]

Stephanie could feel the movement of air through his windpipe. Four breaths. Five. [Yes.]

She backed off, releasing him. [I will be sorry to lose you.]

Sampson moved off to one side while the two wolves squared off. He bled in a couple of spots, slashes and bite marks. Edward stood apart from the others, but for Sharilyn, who was tending to his arm.

Paul shifted to intermediate form and Stephanie followed. He slashed; she twisted. He moved forward; she backed. Sampson was confused and a bit alarmed. Stephanie was generally an aggressive fighter. What was she doing? Did she mean to die, to follow her mate? It had happened before.

Paul could handle the business and logistics end of things; he wasn't strong enough to hold leadership.

Paul pressed the fight and slashed her hip. The pack howled at her blood. Sampson watched as she swiped at him ineffectually. What was going on?

He knew better than to ask, for fear of distracting her.

He kept watching, worried, and he noticed her concentration shift. Then she went after him. Focused. Confident. She took the offensive and, fairly quickly, threw him off. Stephanie raked claws down the side of Paul's face and three gashes were opened from brow to chin. He roared in pain as his blood flowed down his lightly furred face. An inch to one side and he would have been blinded in that eye.

He twisted away and she whirled, dropping and sweeping his legs out from under him. She then settled on top of him. As he reached for her, she grabbed his wrists and forced them to the ground beside his shoulders. She leaned down and put her teeth to his neck, again.

He went still.

The pack watched, waiting for his lifeblood to flow.

And waited.

Paul fidgeted. [Do it.]

[Enough of our pack have died. Submit.] Stephanie broadcast to the whole pack, not just him.

They waited for him to decide. A slight trickle of blood ran down the side of his neck as she shifted her grip on him. The pack sighed.

He ground his teeth. [I submit... my Alpha.]

She stood and put a foot on his chest to keep him from rising. Stephanie looked around her. At the pack. Her pack. Most dropped their eyes quickly. She took note of those who didn't, as did her Betas.

Her voice had the unused quality associated with her elongated face. It was generally easier for them to send than speak in intermediate form. "Who else wants to challenge me? Who else challenges their Alpha?"

Paul scrambled away as she turned.

After completing a full circle, the Alpha of Ross pack stood, naked, barefoot, and a bit dirty, with blood running down her hip as well as that on her mouth and claws. She stood in the Ross circle, threw her head back and, with her fists out to each side, howled.

Sampson also howled, followed by Amanda.

Shortly thereafter, the others followed.

And, as one, the Ross pack sang to the midday sky.

Stephanie was angry, frustrated, and overwhelmed.

She brought her head back down, shifted to human, and turned another circle. In the most commanding voice she could muster, she asked, "Who am I?"

Some pack members looked at each other.

A split second before Sampson stepped forward, Phil fell to his knees and said, "My Alpha." Sampson echoed him.

She turned again. Sharilyn and Amanda said, "Alpha.", and the rest of the pack followed.

They were hers. "We are Ross. This is our pack."

She heard the little bit of grumbling from a couple of the males and a female as she strode back to the den. She made sure of her footing on the muddy lawn as slipping now would negate what she had just done.

[Alpha, we need to talk.]

[The office. 15 minutes.]

Stephanie went to the Alpha suite, showered, and threw on a t-shirt and a pair of chinos. Then she started pacing.

She moved to the office when she heard Sampson come down the hall.

Sampson closed the door behind them and turned to his Alpha. He did not look her directly in the eyes as that was considered a challenge and, this soon after battle, she could easily attack him.

"My Alpha, may I speak plainly?"

"You are Beta. It is your job."

He wondered if he would ever have the rapport with her that he had had with her mate. She had always addressed him formally. "The female Wyeth healer was called to the office while you met with the Alphas. You favored your abdomen during the fight. I need to know how ill you are."

"I'm not .. ill."

The hesitation was important, he knew, but he didn't have time to puzzle it out. "Alpha," he exhaled in irritation, "in order to help you, in order to help this pack, in order to prepare, I need to know what's wrong. I need to know how long we have."

Stephanie began pacing.

Sampson watched her make two circuits. "Alpha!"

That brought her up short. "Calvin Ross left a pup in my belly."

Sampson stood, openmouthed, his next words stolen by the revelation.

She glanced at him, then away. "Exactly. Damn Calvin Ross. He died, made me Alpha, and gave me a pup, all at the same time. As if the first two weren't enough."

Sampson gained back enough sense to ask another question. "Did Cal..?" She shook her head before he could finish.

"He never said anything."

Sampson knew his friend and Alpha had died, unknowing. It was a sad thing and, like Cal's death, hurt his heart. For him. For her. For the pup. Unless...

"Madam.." he swallowed, "my Alpha, I know it is not my place to encourage you one way or the other but I will remind you that you carry the Alpha heir and will have a clear line of succession. I'm assuming you haven't taken steps to end your pregnancy."

"No. At least. Not yet."

Sampson swallowed; this was the moment to tread carefully. "My Alpha..."

"I've already been challenged. It's barely been a day."

"You've asserted your dominance over the pack. They are with you."

KemMyst
KemMyst
1,303 Followers