What The Cat Dragged In Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Difficult as things were between Kelly and her grandmother, it was a relationship that Kelly ached for. Her grandparents were the only family she had and the only connection she had to her father. She was so afraid that she was going to screw it up somehow. Maybe Victor wasn't the only one who was bad with all the sentimental bullshit.

"You still haven't explained why you're so set on this." Her grandmother jabbed the knitting needle into the next stitch. The gesture was filled with obvious anger.

Kelly sighed. The thought of having a pleasant final day had evaporated already. She saw her new goal of tolerable slipping away as well. "What more can I say?"

"You can start with something that makes some sense for a change."

"I've been making perfect sense, Granna. You just don't want to hear anything I have to say."

Anger made the old woman's lips nearly vanish. "It isn't right."

"In your opinion-"

"Not just my opinion."

"You've taken a poll?"

"I don't need to."

"Of course not." Kelly started packing her knitting back into her bag.

"What are you doing?"

"Getting ready to leave." It took every ounce of strength she had in her to keep from crying. "I have some things to do before we go." She got up and started for the door.

"You're as stubborn as your father." Her voice cracked. "Have you even stopped to consider what he would think about you living with....with someone like Victor?"

Kelly stopped. "Someone like Victor?" She looked at her grandmother, the old woman looked away. "Tell me that doesn't mean what I think it means."

The old woman was on her feet. "Kelly-"

"I can't believe what I'm hearing." Kelly was stunned.

"You didn't give me a chance to explain."

"After where I've spent the last few years, do you really think I need you to explain?" The anger and hurt made her head spin.

"It's not the same." Her grandmother was speaking quickly. "I'm grateful to Victor for helping you and I certainly don't hold his...nature against him-"

"As long as he remembers his place?" Anger was quickly overtaking hurt.

Her grandmother searched for the right words. "In my day people stayed with their own kind. That doesn't mean there was anything wrong with any of them. They just didn't mix."

Kelly took a deep breath. "Things change, Granna. It amazes me every day that Victor is willing to put up with how physically fragile I am compared to him, not to mention all the trouble I've caused because of Stan and Dawes and everything that went on before that whole mess. In spite of that though, he never makes me feel like I'm damaged goods. Like none of what came before matters." She shrugged. "I don't pretend to know why he can be that generous, I just count my blessings every day that he is. It's your choice whether you accept that or not, but you're going to have to find a way to live with it." She started toward the door.

"The last time I saw you, you were still sleeping with a teddy bear."

The statement made Kelly turn to look at her grandmother. The older woman had tears streaming down her cheeks.

"The last day you spent with us, you scared me half to death my climbing that big maple tree in the back yard. You just looked at me and said 'I got up here okay, I'll get down okay'."

Kelly smiled a little. "You made Grampa come up and get me."

"And you were so mad at me." She laughed a little. "At least until I asked you to help me bake those peanut butter chocolate chip cookies you used to love. Then you forgave me."

Kelly laughed a little. "I'm still just as stubborn."

"I know, but I missed everything else. When I see you in my head, you're still that little girl because I don't have any memories of you going to high school, or going on your first date, or your prom. Then you show up on the doorstep and you're a young woman and you've been through so much that I can't even bring myself to think about. I don't know how to reconcile it."

Kelly sat down again. "I don't know either, Granna. I know that I can't go back though."

Her grandmother nodded and wiped at her eyes. "Don't go yet. You said you weren't going to leave until six, we still have an hour."

She swiped at her eyes. There was too much emotional tension gathered in the room, and neither she nor her grandmother could do anything more to really resolve it at that moment. Kelly smiled a little. "You said you were going to teach me how to knit cables. Is an hour enough time?"

The older woman gave a quivering little smile. "I think so."

12