What You Will

Story Info
Old love rediscovered, new love found, over Valentines Day.
35.6k words
4.77
22.7k
34
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

*This is my Valentines Day 2016 Story submission, and the first story I've ever posted, so I hope you enjoy*

Chapter 1

After languishing in the back hills of Wyoming, David was more than happy to return to Salt Lake City. It may seem a rather homey city compared to many other parts of the country, and other places that he himself had lived, but he definitely considered it a decided upgrade. While still a bit socially backward, it was nothing compared to the general attitudes that he was continually confronted by in the country. It had been many years since he had last lived in SLC, not since he had attended the local University.

David had stayed in the country as long as he could stand to do so. He had a pretty good job, one that he was proud of. Taking care of the developmentally disabled may not be a "sexy" job, but it brought with it a lot of satisfaction. And after a rough past, it felt good to be giving back to those who were in need and vulnerable. This side of him had always shocked people when they learned of it. Most people who did not know him from Adam online would have guessed that he was either like Lewis Skolnick (Revenge of the Nerds), or Ted Kaczynski (The Unabomber). This was from a reputation, quite earned, that he was a giant nerd in the truest form. Yes, he read mathematics and physics books for fun, thank you very much. But, no, he was slightly larger than your average male at 5'11", and built like a brick house at 250lbs. At 38 there was a bit of gray creeping into his brown hair, but he still retained a full head of it and seemed unlikely that it would ever truly recede. So he basically behaved like a huge dork online, and looked like a huge former football player in person. Unfortunately the most common word used to describe him was "intimidating". But it was entirely unintentional, he actually didn't like that aspect of himself.

For anyone that really knew him, few as there were, he was about the most gentle person you will find. Unfortunately, there were very few people that could claim to know him. David was very shy and withdrawn. While some may label him as antisocial, he preferred to call himself unsocial. It wasn't like he engaged in any antisocial behavior, more that he wasn't interested in engaging in anything social at all. Combine this with his deep love of anything analytical, his bad habit of saying the wrong thing, and his singular devotion to one particular thing at a time, and it was very apparent that he was on the spectrum. But anyone who took the time to know him knew that, while he may often say the wrong thing, or not understand what was going wrong, he did this only out of ignorance, not malice. He was always deeply sorry when he ever hurt anyone's feelings.

But now work opportunities had dried up where he was living. And with his unsocial behaviors and needs, it became difficult to find a new job. He finally did obtain one in Salt Lake City, working at a book store. If he had to talk to customers (something that he was assured would be fairly rare), he wanted to be surrounded by books. Other than the very infrequent romances with women, books were the great love of his life. His personal library was currently being stored with his parents, to avoid the fee and the potential moisture damage of a storage unit. But as soon as he was adequately settled in the city, he was going to be moving his nearly 1000 books down with him. No matter how small his apartment, David couldn't survive long without his books. Crammed into the back of his Veloster, a very small car, was about 20 books that he was sure he couldn't live without for the next couple weeks while he waited for his parents to bring the rest of his stuff down. The suitcase of clothing and the video game consoles were secondary to ensuring that he at least brought some reading material. Well, along with the hundreds of novels on his kindle and his ipad. A man had to have his priorities.

His thoughts were temporarily drawn away from the books he couldn't wait to dive back into by the vision of Salt Lake City as he came out through the canyon. It was always a somewhat awe inspiring thing to be winding along the canyons of I-80 and having them part to reveal the metropolitan area of the city laid out in the valley before you. Now he had to concentrate on finding the correct roads to his apartment. He had obtained the apartment online and over the phone, all utilities were set up in advance as well. So this would actually be the first time that he'd ever set foot into it. But there would be the standard walk through to put down any deficiencies before he handed over the down payment. It honestly set his nerves on end more to have to meet the apartment managers than it did to be moving into a place he had never seen in person. David could deal with whatever dwelling they handed him, people were trickier.

Thankfully the roads in the city are fairly well labeled and for the most part they are numbered quite logically. As long as you know a few basic principles for where the numbers radiate from and which directions they go up or down in you were pretty well set. So it didn't take David too long to find the apartment complex where he would make his new home. Not too many miles away from his new job, perhaps in summer, and if the neighborhood was safe enough, he may decide to walk to work instead of driving every day. But it was currently getting on to winter, so that would be infeasible in the short term.

The apartment was fairly small, only one bedroom, but being permanently single, that was not a concern. He had given up dating years ago so there was no need to plan for anything more. Once he settled with the management and ensured all the utilities worked, he unpacked his car and set out a sleeping bag. He'd be bagging it until his parents arrived with the rest of his stuff the next week.

David texted them, "Arrived at the apartment, everything is fine to bring the rest of my stuff."

And a response from his mother, "OK, cya on Mon". She was much more fond of abbreviations than he ever would be. By all appearances he was the old codger of the pair.

Last thing that he did before settling down to read a book, by way of winding down from his trip, was to update his Facebook page with the information that he had moved to Salt Lake City. He had very few Facebook friends, but he received a few "likes" and a short message from a woman he used to date many years ago, who now also lived in Salt Lake. She just asked if he was moving into a place by himself or if he was moving in with a roommate. David just replied that he was solo and then he closed up his browser and started some background reading music. In a very short time, he was lost inside of the romantic world of his book.

Chapter 2

The stress of acclimating to a new job made the next week fly by. Moving his spare furnishings and books into the new place only took a few hours out of the Monday. David started his new job on Wednesday and discovered it could be something that he would enjoy doing for a long time. Low pay, true, but more importantly to him it was low stress, and not too bad hours. They also seemed to be happy to have gained an employee that was flexible with hours and days off, due to not having any family of his own, but was still very well read and could be a valued resource.

He didn't work with anyone that he had any sexual interest in, so he thanked his lucky stars for that. No need to involve himself in sexual or gender politics at work and risk his job security. The only contact he had with any women that he worked with was when they asked him to do something. But they were always kind about it, so he always dropped everything to help them out and then left without a word. Once they were used to this behavior and his distance, they all meshed into a nice working relationship. And, frankly, after their last employee, they loved having someone who did not complain incessantly or bring a ton of drama into the workplace. It was a bookstore, not a library, but peace and quiet were still definitely appreciated.

There was one woman that he corresponded a little with over those few weeks, however. And it kind of took David by surprise. It had always been his policy to cut all contact with anyone he dated after they had stopped dating. There were two main reasons for this. One is that he really had little interest in platonic relationships period. Friends were not something that he really cultivated ever in his life, even as a child. But the second reason was that even if the relationship changed, his feelings didn't. So he didn't want to keep on hurting himself by staying around someone that was dating someone else. Perhaps that jealousy made him a petty person, but it is part of who he is, so he accepted it.

The woman that he now corresponded with was over Facebook, and her name was Laura. He had dated her several years ago when they both lived in a small town together. She was going through a rough patch and was getting a divorce at the time, and they met through a mutual friend. But eventually the needs of her children won out and they stopped seeing each other. David never held it against her that she broke off the relationship, but it still hurt him, and he couldn't ever see them becoming friends. While he had dated a few other women since her, she still stood out as one of his favorite people in the world. So he didn't want to hear about her other relationships, even if he wished her well in the pursuit of happiness.

But ever since the day he moved back to Salt Lake City, he would receive a message from her about once every day or two, checking up on him and how he was doing in the new environment. It was nothing more than simple pleasant banter, though. And he honestly didn't even know if she was dating anyone, and he wanted to respect her privacy regardless. He did wonder if her message when he arrived in SLC was a veiled attempt at finding out if he was dating anyone. But since she never brought it up again, and they never even talked about relationships, he dismissed the idea.

David didn't hear much from Laura over the next week, but it was the Christmas holiday. He figured that she would probably be traveling to see her family and also to take her kids to visit their father and his family. It was a nice holiday for him, which meant low impact. The only way an outsider would even know that it was Christmas by looking in on his place would be that he watched a few of his favorite Christmas movies such as "Die Hard", "Lethal Weapon", "A Nightmare Before Christmas", and "Fanny & Alexander". Other than that, he never really celebrated that holiday, or any other. Still, he discovered that he kind of missed those short little messages from Laura over that week. When those feelings became apparent David did his best to tamp them down and remind himself that, not only did she probably bring a boyfriend with her to spend Christmas with, there was no chance of a long term relationship between them anyway. Those sobering thoughts distracted him enough that he just settled back down with one of his favorite series to read over the remainder of the holiday.

They were only out of contact for a week, but he was surprised at the Facebook message that he received for the first thing that he heard from her after the holiday. It was, "Hi there. Ummm... I'm not sure if I should be even asking this, but I can't think of anyone else who might be willing. Can you do me a favor on New Years Day? You would have to dress nice... and have a very open mind (which I'm sure you still do). Please, please, please... it's a huge favor."

Nothing about their recent relationship or the past several years prepared him to receive a message like that. So he sat there a bit shocked before he typed out the reply in the affirmative. But he had to ask, "How nice is nice?"

"Tuxedo."

Fortunately he still had one that should fit him, in fact it may be a bit large on him. But nevertheless, he could get it dry cleaned in time. So he responded, "Okay, tell me where and when to meet you."

"Can you pick me up and I'll give you directions to where we are going?"

"Sure."

And so she gave him her address and the time to be there. The whole conversation had David very confused though. It almost sounded like she wanted him to take her on a date to a New Year's party. But he found it very unlikely that he would need a tuxedo for that. And he figured that she would have just asked him to do that and that it wouldn't be a favor. No, all around it just seemed to be a very strange conversation. He sighed to himself, resigned to the fact that he would have to wait and see when he got there.

Chapter 3

There was almost as much dread as there was excitement as the day quickly approached. And much like anything else you are dreading, the hours and days just flew by in a very unaccommodating fashion. He swore that he must have missed a day or two in there, just accidentally slept through like Rumpelstiltskin. But, as work had never called him in, it must have been his nerves. Not only was he nervous about what possible favor that he would need an "open mind" for could be, but also he had not even seen Laura in many years. But he supposed that her Facebook picture was probably a lot more indicative of how she looked now than his was. Especially since his portrait wasn't even a picture of himself, it was a scene from a movie.

David did end up having to get his tuxedo pants altered a slight amount. He wasn't sure what activities he would be doing, especially whether he would be dancing or not. So the risk of them falling down around his ankles was too high to let it be. So with some messages back and forth with Laura she helped him find a place to take in the waist a little. But it was a quick job and didn't cost much. So he didn't feel too put out over it. Through that whole conversation, though, it was quite obvious that they were both avoiding the topic of what this favor might be. If his arm was twisted and he was required to give a reason for that, he would guess that she seemed almost embarrassed. But over text, such indicators are very difficult to suss out.

Sooner than he would like, it was New Year's Day. He didn't even watch the television fireworks the night before. Not only because of his general aversion to holidays, but this particular one he had a lot on his plate. So he just spent some time in a very wonderfully sappy romantic novel to keep himself calm before his impending doom. Gloomy thoughts pervaded him as he dressed up in his best and, before he knew it, he was heading out the door. It was quite early, but he was always early for things whenever possible, and he also wanted to give her time to tell him what was going on before they had to be where they were going.

It took him even less time than he anticipated to arrive at her house. So David sat there for a few minutes trying a few relaxing techniques to control his breathing, and then to make sure that his palms weren't quite so sweaty. Finally he shot her off a message from his cell phone to her Facebook account. They probably should have just exchanged phone numbers to text that way, but frankly this was the first time he had even considered doing that. If he made it through the night in one piece, and it seemed like she wanted to talk to him any more afterward, he might consider bringing it up to her. But then, he reminded himself, if she has a boyfriend it still was not a situation that he wanted to get involved with. Those thoughts rapidly evaporated when he saw her door open and she started walking to him. She looked nervous, but very sexy. She seemed much the same as she always was, lovely strawberry hair, light freckles, average female height, a little on the skinny side but not frail, and pretty eyes that looked very nervous.

Something seemed a bit off about her appearance though. She only took a couple steps before he realized what seemed strange, and it made him even more nervous. Laura was dressed very nice, but she wasn't wearing anything like an evening gown. He was way overdressed for this situation. Then he remembered that it was she herself that asked him to wear a tuxedo, so he decided to reserve judgment until she filled him in. Her apparent nervousness allayed his fears a bit. If she didn't look so nervous herself, he might think that she was trying to play a trick on him. While that would be out of character for her, it would not be the first time he received an unpleasant surprise like that from someone.

When Laura had almost reached his car David got out and opened the passenger door for her. She gave him a little smile when she saw him for the first time in years. This made a warm feeling spread throughout his body, all the way to his toes. He had the image of a Warner Brothers cartoon character who was frozen in snow and then given a swig of the old hooch to thaw him out by a dog with a barrel on it's neck. She said a little thank you and then sat down into his car, giving him a shy look. He could still see the nerves there, but she seemed genuinely glad to see him. She flashed him that tight lipped smile of hers, lovely as ever, almost like she was sharing a secret with you.

He went back around to the driver's side and got into the car with her. As soon as he did her scent assailed him. Immediately his mouth was watering and his eyes found her exposed neck. Her pretty neck was something that he always associated with her smell. It frankly made him very hungry, and not for food in the classical sense. He had to wrangle his brain to get it to obey, there was the start of an erection already, and she was not even his, so he had to get control of himself. Once he finally regained control, he opened his mouth and was disturbed when nothing really came out. Mentally kicking himself, he remembered that he hadn't actually used his vocal chords in quite a while, so it would take a little work to lubricate them sufficiently. So he tried again.

"It's good to see you again, Laura. You look just as beautiful as you always have." She seemed to let out her breath a little at that and some of the nervousness left her eyes. David didn't necessarily say that because he knew she was nervous about it. In fact, he was a little surprised that she seemed to care about his opinion. Frankly he only said it because it was true.

"Thanks," she said with a little blushing smile. "You're a little early."

"Yeah, you know me, always early to anywhere. Besides, I was hoping that this would give you some time to tell me what it is that you want me to do." At this she seemed to get nervous again.

"Laura, I said that I would do it. I'm not asking because I'm looking to back out, I just need to know what to expect is all. There is no need to be worried."

"I know, you always do what you promise. But this is a pretty big favor, and it may not be something that you were... necessarily hoping for." She looked almost a bit remorseful or guilty about that. But David just decided to let her get it out. "You see... I need you to be an... ummmm... escort for someone. But that someone is not me." She gave him a bit of a side glance to see and hear how he would respond to that.

"So, by escort you don't mean the fake prostitutes that they have around here right? Because a: I'm a bit overdressed to be one, and b: I'm not nearly good looking enough."

Laura gave him a bit of a flabbergasted look and broke out in giggles. "No, not that kind of escort, and you don't look so bad so don't put yourself down."

"So who am I escorting, and what function do I need a tuxedo for, and what are you going to be doing?"

"Well, her name is Barbie, and she's one of my best friends in the whole world. And it's for... sort of a pageant... for New Years. I'll be in the crowd watching and cheering her on." For whatever reason she was blushing furiously by the time she finished explaining.