Whatever You Say Ch. 01

Story Info
He thought he would never see her again.
1.8k words
4.57
18.1k
2

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 01/30/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
vanier789
vanier789
3 Followers

Please note: This story is slow moving and developmental. It is my experimental first story and I would like it to progress as a real romance does. Please be patient. I hope you like natalie and Jake.

*****

Chapter 1

Why does it have to be so cold?" Natalie wondered as she walked as quickly as she could through the slush packed streets, her portfolio under one arm. She was not feeling in very high spirits today, even though she should be celebrating the end of her first semester in University. "November is supposed to be cool and windy, not freezing and slushy!". Since leaving her parents behind in California 4 months ago, Natalie hadn't gotten used to the climate in New York. She thought she never would either. Her new boots, now soaking wet, were not really suited to the weather, but they were all she had bought before flying over to her new life in a northern climate. As a cab screeched up next to the sidewalk, Natalie was splashed with brown slush up to her thigh. The cabbie sped off with it's passenger and Natalie was left shivering as she walked to the closest Starbucks on the block. "At least there is coffee everywhere." she muttered, long brown hair whipping in the wind as she stomped off to cross the street.

****

"..Oh okay. Hope you feel better soon then Jenny. Bye."Jake hung up the phone and sighed. He was supposed to be doing a six hour shift at the Starbucks but he was going to end up doing ten hours. Jenny had called and said she was sick and couldn't make it in time for her shift to start. "Was that Jennifer?" Mike asked as he produced another double latte with extra foam from the coffee machine. "Ya, she said she's got a bad cold and can't make it." He replied. Jake looked genuinely concerned. "Your too nice Jake," Mike rolled his eyes, giving his friend a mocking glance. Mike had known Jacob VanDoren for almost three years now and he was his best friend. That's how Jake had gotten the job Starbucks in the first place. They both loved coffee and it was really close to the university so it had been a good choice. Jake was a great guy, but he was a pushover when it came to girls. Mike had known him since senior year and in all that time he had never once seen his friend be anything but the nice guy. He knew it had something to do with a girl in California but Mike had never taken him to seriously the only time Jake had mentioned her. Hell, Jake hadn't even met her! Jake was the gentleman all the time and Mike felt bad for him, since women walked all over Jake once they got to know him. Jake just shrugged and went back to work. "I need three venti cappuccinos. One no foam the others regular with cinnamon."called Karolina from the cash register. "Coming right up!" Jake had started even before she had called it out. "Man, you have killer hearing." Mike shouted over the noise of the small coffee house. It was really starting to fill up and the constant drone of coffee machines and conversations was keeping the noise level pretty high. Both of them went back to making coffee in amiable silence.

"Boy am I glad classes are over." Jake thought as he finished another order and handed it three giggling older women at the counter. The youngest one flashed a smile at him. "What, no sugar in your coffee Isabella?" one of the older ones asked in a slightly southern accent. "No thanks Dianna, I got all the sugar I need right here." Replied the first one. Jake rolled his eyes as they started giggling again and the first girl, Isabella, started batting her eyelashes at him. "Sorry girls, I'm working right now. Have a good day."

"Okay honey, you too." They were still giggling and flipping they dyed blonde hair when they were seated at a table on the other side of the shop. Jake let out a big sigh and went back to where Mike was making café lates for some other customers. Mike wiggled his eyebrows at him as Jake approached. "Man, it must be hard on you. All those beautiful women fawning over you all the time. It must be hell, really." Jake gave him a pained smile as he looked over to the table where the three were sitting. He supposed the youngest one was somewhat attractive, in a conventional sort of way. "Mike, you can have them all if you want. I'm not biting." Mike gave him another look. "You never bite Jake. And you should, you know. Your wasting the prime of your life!" Jake just shrugged his shoulders. "What can I say? They're not for me." His friend went back to the coffee machine to start another round of orders. "Well, all I'm saying is maybe you need to give up on that dream girl of yours, Jake." Jake looked horrified. "Mike, be quiet! And she's not a dream. She's real and she was in California. I swear! " He whispered. Agitated was not one of jake's good looks. "Jake you're never going to see her again and you know it. Just go and say hi to them. Maybe you'll forget the dream girl for awhile." Jake looked at him skeptically. "Maybe next time. We actually have work to do right now." Mike gave him a grin. "Oh yeah, work. Right."

****

Rubbing gloved hands together, Natalie stepped into the Starbucks. It was a miracle that she had gotten across the street even. In New York, no one stopped for pedestrians. As she got into the considerable line, she started to look around. This was a relatively small coffee shop. But it's proximity to the university drew most of the young coffee drinking crowd. Deciding that the Holiday cinnamon latte was the best choice to warm her up, she started to reflect on her day while she waited in line. Natalie had gotten her art portfolio back with promising marks on every piece. Her professor had handed it back to her with a smile, saying that she was a talented student that, "just needs to go out and explore the real world." That had stung her a bit and she kept it in the back of her mind all day, mulling over the different meanings, like playing with a paper cut. Patience was never Natalie's best virtue and she was beginning to get bored. She looked at the counter again. Delicious looking pastries stacked under glass bells and holiday gift baskets lining that back wall. She was taking in all the different roasts on the canisters when she heard, "...Umm, excuse me? Can I help you?" Coming from a tall man behind the counter. She opened her mouth to give her order and looked up from the counter in the process. Natalie hadn't taken notice of many guys before. This one wasn't any different than most. Maybe slightly more hansom, with the long curly dark brown hair and pale skin. He had such a boyish face. It was silly really, but she couldn't figure out what colour his eyes were. Now gray-blue, changing to sea green, then green with little flecks of yellow. "Okay, maybe much more hansom than a regular guy." She thought. He looks lean and graceful, like a cat. A big cat. A kind of cat that would always want to cuddle with you. I would love to draw him. He's so familiar somehow. "But why is he looking at me like that..." Suddenly it hit her that she hadn't said anything since she had gotten to the counter. She could feel a blush come to fill up her cheeks to an even brighter pink than the cold could produce. "Miss..If you don't want anything..." He was really frowning now. It was odd how intense his look was. As if he was studying her for something. "No!" she said a little to enthusiastically, "I'll have a...Cinnamon latte, please." She trailed off into silence. Natalie couldn't believe what a fool she was making of herself. "Is that it?" He asked, a little less severe now. His face looks even better when he's not deciding whether or not I'm crazy, she thought morosely. She gave herself a mental shake and managed a weak "No, thanks," before handing him the money while looking at the counter. "He could have any girl in the world," she thought miserably, "and he probably already does."

****

The shop had been closed for almost half an hour and Jake was still wiping the counters. Mike could see him through the door in the back. "I wonder what's eating him?" Karolina asked as she was heading out the door. "I don't know, but I'm going to find out." he replied. She raised an eyebrow, "Okay, whatever you say Mike. I'll see you on Sunday?"

"Ya, sure. Bye."

As the outside door slid closed, Jake turned to look at the clock. "Uhg, is it really that late?"

"Yes, it is. Would you mind telling me why you haven't noticed anything except the counters this afternoon?" Mike asked curiously.

"I'm just tired Mike. Nothing to worry about see?" Jake flashed him a winning smile, but it didn't quite reach his eyes, which were a deep, dark green.

"Uh oh." Mike frowned at Jake and took the rag he was holding out of Jake's hand.

"What?"

"Dude your eyes are green. Really green."

"So?" Jake asked, annoyed now.

"They're only green when your angry, or depressed about something. Who rubbed you the wrong way today?"

Jake put his elbows down on the counter and rested his head heavily in his hands. Mike followed his line of sight out the front door and onto the street as Jake covered his hands with his face.

"It was her." He whispered

"What?" Mike asked incredibly.

Jake dragged his hands from his face and gave Mike a look that he had never seen on his friend's face before.

"It was her Mike, I swear."

"It was her?"

"Yes!" Jake stood and turned to face mike in one quick movement that startled Mike

"Jake, maybe you should just-"

"I can't relax okay? It was her! Her hair and her eyes and her face. Everything. It was the girl.

And she's here. I need to find her Mike. I need to."

Mike gave his friend a studying look and then wrinkled his brow. "But you don't even know her name."

"I know. But I have to try Mike."

"Okay Jake. Just, go home and take a shower first, promise?" There was laughter in Mike's eyes but he didn't let it out. He knew just how serious this was to his friend now.

"Okay Mike, Whatever you say."

Jake pulled on his jacket and headed for the door completely absorbed.

Mike sighed and pulled his own jacket on. Flicking off the light switch in the corner and locking the back door. He headed out through the night in the other direction.

"Sure Jake, whatever I say."

to be continued...

vanier789
vanier789
3 Followers