What's in a Name? Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Avide
Avide
93 Followers

Alexander reacted instinctively, wrapping his arms around the shaking girl. "Shhh, don't worry. It's okay." He stroked her back reassuringly, murmuring soothing words into her ear. "No-one will hurt you, I'll protect you. You're safe here." He continued reassuring the sobbing girl, rocking her in his arms.

His strong arms did not move to hurt her; they actually felt good, protective and warm. She felt the fear lessen, and allowed herself to relax in his arms, sucking in deep breaths. When she was breathing evenly again, he released her, wiping her hair from her face.

"That's better. You're safe here," he said, smiling. "If you don't know something, or don't want to answer me, that's okay. I won't hurt you." The girl looked skeptical. Alexander saw the denial in her face. They'd have to work on that, he thought. First, she needed food, desperately. She looked like gravity alone could break her.

"Now, let's get you something to eat." He handed her a fork and put the plate in her lap.

The food distracted her from the panic she had felt just moments ago. She took a bite, her eyes glazing over as she tucked the piece in her mouth. It was delicious. She couldn't remember when she had her last meal, when she hadn't been hungry.

It was also exhausting. After a few bites, her arm felt heavy, and she found it difficult to direct the fork back to her mouth. Alexander took it from her, helping her finish her plate. He smiled as she drifted away to sleep again before she had even finished her last bites, some color on her cheeks for the first time in weeks.

He tucked the girl in, taking the tray with him. She finally was on the mend.

***

A delicious scent of freshly cooked food drifted in the room and she felt her stomach rumble in anticipation. She frowned as she wondered how she could get some of the mouthwatering meal. As she debated whether she'd try to get out of the bed again, the door opened sending a new delicious wave into the room.

Alexander walked in carrying the source of the scent. She looked at it eagerly, ready to devour the meal he held in his hands.

He smiled at her expression. The girl was clearly in better shape than she had been this morning when she had had her first meal in weeks. He gave her the plate and she attacked the food immediately. She was doing much better than he had expected, he thought as he took a seat beside the bed.

She devoured the meal in record time and he worried briefly whether her stomach would handle it. Before he could warn her though, she'd already made the food disappear like magic. She smiled at him hesitantly, looking away quickly when he smiled back.

He was surprised at the progress she was making. This morning she still was too weak to even carry a fork, but now, she looked like she'd be able to get out bed for a few minutes.

But he decided it was time to talk first. "I think we still have not been properly introduced," he said smiling.

The girl looked away tensely and ignored his words, staring at the wall. She'd hoped to escape the house before he'd get the chance to talk to her. Although he had been kind up to this point, that did not mean she wanted anything to do with him.

Alexander ignored the fact that the girl looked like she was trying to tune him out. She'd have to learn to trust him. "I am Alexander De L'Ile, as you already found out this morning. Together with Dominic Orion, I lead the Rivers Company, and I've been living in the city for quite some time now."

"Thirteen days ago, Dominic and I found you at a business complex at the Northern border of the city. You were unconscious and heavily wounded, and we decided to take you with us; although..." hesitating, he paused for a moment, "although we thought you would not make it."

Alexander looked at the girl uncomfortably. He had argued quite a lot with Dominic, and they still were not sure whether it had been a good idea; especially after she had started to broadcast house-trashing waves. The girl didn't seem to notice though. She was still staring at the wall, not even blinking her eyes.

"I'd like to talk to you about how we found you, but before we get to that, we've got to find a solution about what to call you." From what had happened that morning, he'd expected a reaction by now, but she was still staring at the wall as if it was a piece of art. It was an exquisitely beautiful wall of course, he'd painted it himself, but was she even listening to him?

"From how you reacted this morning when I asked you your name, I think your name has something to do with why we found you heavily wounded two weeks ago." The girl tensed at his words. At least she heard him, he thought; although she obviously didn't like where he was going.

He saw her eyes dart to the door and wondered whether she'd make a run for it. She looked stubborn enough to try it in her condition. Hell, she had already tried it in even far worse shape this morning. Alexander smiled to himself. Stubborn was a good word to describe her; stubborn to escape, stubborn to ignore him, stubborn to live.

Dragging himself from his thoughts, he figured he needed to reassure her fast before she'd start breaking more windows. "I won't bring that up again, but I do want a name to call you." He quickly added, "Sensing that you don't really have one, I have a proposition to make."

She looked at him suspiciously. He sat across from her calmly, a patient look on his face. He didn't look like he had anything up his sleeve, but still. Suddenly, she started to get angry, angry at him, angry at her body, and at the situation. She didn't want to be so dependant, so weak.

She measured the distance to the door again. It didn't look very far.

The man across from her didn't seem to notice, or didn't care, he just continued his monologue. "I've been thinking about what to call you, and I think that 'girl', 'hey you' or 'uhm' will not suffice."

Her head snapped to his side, and she looked at him surprised before containing her emotions. That was unexpected. She looked at him calculatingly. After some moments, she just shrugged, reluctantly admitting to herself she couldn't argue with him on that. But where was this going?

Alexander smiled at her now that he finally had her attention. "In archaeology, newly found treasures are named after the excavation site. We found you in an area of the city called Ravenna," he said while he regarded the obvious doubt on her face. How would she react?

"How would you feel if we named you after that?"

She looked at him stunned, unable to say anything for some moments. This gorgeous and kind man wanted to call her Ravenna? To give her a name?

A dozen emotions ranging from fear, to anger, and surprise crossed her face, but Alexander also thought he saw flashes of pride and pleasure. She settled on hesitancy, her anger completely forgotten.

"Ravenna?" Her voice trembled, it sounded like she was trying to contain her tears.

He nodded. "It's a beautiful name that has great significance in Roman ancient history. I think it suits you. But if you don't like it we can find another one of course..."

"I like Ravenna," she answered in a small voice. She didn't like it, she loved it. She did not remember ever having a name, something to call herself. This adopted name would be hers. She felt pride warm her insides, and gratefully she gave a nod to Alexander.

He smiled at the positive reaction. He had not expected her to respond this positive. "Good. That's settled then."

It looked like it was time for sleep again. She was obviously fighting her sleep, her eyelids already drooping. "Get some sleep. You look tired. We'll talk again later." She nodded sleepily and watched Alexander get up and open the door to the hallway.

He turned to her in the doorway. "Good night, Ravenna," he said, closing the door behind him.

She smiled.

***

Avide
Avide
93 Followers
12