When Thunder Rolls Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
YouDidWhut
YouDidWhut
1,580 Followers

"Missus Sullivan, I have no intentions of getting hurt." I said smiling.

"Men!" she snorted as she began clearing the table.

"Will you try to find Matilda? Please?" Shannon asked innocently.

Knowing full well that Matilda was probably dinner that evening for the men that took her I looked down at Shannon and said "I'll do my best Miss Shannon. I promise."

"Dinner was excellent ma'am, thank you very much for the invitation. Now, if you will excuse me, I need to go check on Thunder." I said standing up from the table.

"Who is Thunder?" Shannon asked me.

"He is my mount. When he runs, the ground shakes like thunder." I said proudly.

"And when he get skittish, you hit the ground like lightning." Elizabeth said laughing.

"That too." I said smiling and knowing that I was defeated, I added, "Thank you for supper it truly was a wonderful meal."

"You are more than welcome and if you are serious about tracking those soldiers down tomorrow; please, do be careful." she said quickly and quietly.

"I promise, on my sacred honor as an officer and a gentleman, I will be. I'll see myself out. Good night ladies." I said as I walked to the door.

Throwing on my jacket at the last minute that morning, I left before sunrise and was in Williamsburg when day broke. I drew some surprised attention from the local populace who were beginning their day and stopping one well-dressed gentleman I asked him if he could point me in the direction of the sheriff. Getting those directions, I turned Thunder toward the office and we trotted off. Walking into the office I asked the sheriff if he knew about the incident at the Sullivan place and he laughed out loud.

"Son, I've got a list of ten farms those soldiers have pillaged in the past month. They are camped about three miles out on the other side of town. Don't do nothing stupid, it's an Infantry company and the Captain that commands them is a mean one."

"I know the type." I said dryly. "Now, if you will accompany me out there, I will show you how to negotiate with Yankees in the manner to which they are accustom. Oh, and bring that list and an empty saddle bag."

Mounting up I put Thunder into a gallop and we made the ride to the camp in good time. It was neat and orderly, and I was surprised that we could penetrate the perimeter without being challenged. Reigning in I stopped in front of Sergeant and watched him stare up slack-jawed as a Confederate Cavalry officer appeared out of nowhere in his midst. Stunned for a moment he paused before he said, "Do you have a death wish Reb?"

"No. I simply wish to speak to your commanding officer. Where, pray tell, might I find him?" I said quietly, forcing him to listen carefully to hear what I had to say.

He reached up to try and grab hold of Thunder's bridle, but Thunder was having none of it and sidestepped to the left and then reared up with his forelegs kicking. Four years of killing Yankees had turned him from a Georgia Quarter Horse into an instrument of war and he seemed to enjoy thinking that he had gotten his old job back.

"Easy Boy." I said as I regained control of him, patting him on the neck. "Now, Sergeant. Where were we? I do believe you were about to tell me where I could find your company commander. Please, by all means, proceed." I added staring down at him as a small crowd of soldiers began to gather.

"I'm right behind you Major." I heard a nasally voice say.

Turning in my saddle I saw a Captain and a First Lieutenant standing about ten feet away. Dismounting and leading Thunder toward them I extended my hand and smiling said "A pleasure Sir. My name is Thaddeus Thatcher, may the sheriff and I have a moment of your time? I give you my word, it will not take us long."

Ignoring my outstretched hand, he turned and said, "Come with me." He disappeared into a nearby wall tent with his Lieutenant following him. The sheriff and I went inside and found him seated in a field chair beside a desk. The Lieutenant had taken the only other chair in the tent, so the sheriff and I remained standing.

"I'm a bit curious as to why a former Confederate Cavalry officer would ride, bold as brass, into my camp with the local sheriff and demand to see me. That is the only reason you are standing here Mister Thatcher. Do you understand me?"

"I do Sir. The reason we are here is that the sheriff and I wish to discuss the conduct of some of your foraging parties over the past month." I responded smiling at him.

"Please Sir, do proceed."

"I spent last night at the Sullivan farm about 6 miles distant from your camp and Missus Sullivan told me a story that was so outlandish that I had to confirm it. It would seem that, a month or so ago, a party of your men paid her farm a visit and stripped it completely of livestock. I've led more than one foraging party myself and when I did, I always tried to reimburse the people affected with money or at least a promissory note and yet Missus Sullivan told me that your men offered neither." I paused to let that sink in.

"This morning, I approached the sheriff and he told me that he has a list of nine other farms and families that have been treated the same way by your men. I simply came out here to see if you were aware of it, but from the smug look on your face I'd say that you are more than aware of it and you are probably encouraging it to pad your own pockets." I said with a righteous anger building in my chest.

"Spoils of war Major Thatcher; spoils of war. An army needs to eat, and my men will live comfortably and eat well while we are here."

"We are no longer at war sir, and the civilian population here is under your protection, not your bootheel. Are your men aware that their commander is lining his pockets with the gold the Army gave you to pay the local citizens for the subsistence items you are stealing from them?"

"I beg to differ sir. I have signed receipts showing that all ten families have been properly reimbursed for the livestock and other items we took."

"And I can have sworn statements from all ten families stating that those receipts are forgeries." The sheriff said, finally breaking his silence. "You know, there were over a thousand men who left this area and joined the Confederacy when the war started and there were about fifteen hundred who are wearing Union blue right now." the sheriff stated.

"And this concerns me how Sheriff?" the Captain said smugly, easing back in his seat and folding his arms across his chest.

"Well, son, let's say only half, no maybe a quarter of them survived the war. That means that slowly, over the next month or so there are going to be close to six or seven hundred men coming back to their homes. I know those men and I can tell you that when they find out that your soldiers have been raiding their farms and stealing their livestock, they will take it personal like. That is seven hundred men, combat veterans, who will put aside their personal differences for a little while and the only people they will be concerned about are you and your merry band of thieves and bandits. That is how it concerns you Captain."

The Captain stood up, then kicking his seat behind him with a beet red face shouted, "Is that a threat old man?"

"No, it is a fact." The sheriff replied softly, standing his ground. "I know those men and you and yours won't last a day against them once they move; and they will move."

"Gentlemen, and I use that term loosely." I said much more calmly than I felt, "Missus Sullivan lost a husband and a brother, both officers, one at Shiloh and the other at Chickamauga and they were both wearing Yankee Blue. I think that the US Army has taken more than enough from her and when the letter I sent by courier this morning arrives in Frankfort asking the military governor to conduct a review of the actions of you and your men, I would strongly suggest that you had best have a plausible set of lies to tell them." Then I stood there and watched the color drain from both of their smug faces.

Crestfallen the Captain looked at me for a moment and then said, "Lieutenant, go get the Quartermaster and have him bring the strongbox."

"Yes Sir." he replied and slipped from the tent quickly.

"Wise choice Captain. I will give you my word as a fellow officer that I will use all the influence that I have to control any former Confederates in this area, provided you treat the local citizens with the respect that is due them."

"This isn't over." He said defiantly.

"Yes, it is, Captain; for now, anyway. I made a promise to not take up arms against the government of the United States and I fully intend to comply with the terms of my exchange and parole. But I am not going to allow you or the Army to run roughshod over the people that live here anymore either. There are other ways to win a battle Captain; violence is simply the last resort."

The Lieutenant returned with the Quartermaster in tow and we went through the Sheriff's list of farmers and the items and livestock that had been taken. The Quartermaster paid out the sums that were prescribed by the Army and when we left the strongbox was much lighter and the Sheriff's saddlebags were much heavier.

"Will there be anything else Gentlemen?" the Captain asked with complete distain in his voice.

Pausing for a moment I said, "Yes. A chicken. A small brown hen, some grain to feed her with and a small crate that I can use to transport her in. No, wait. I want four chickens, a milk cow, pigs, a boar and a sow, two goats, a horse and feed for them as well."

"A small brown hen?" the Lieutenant asked incredulously.

"You heard me Lieutenant." I snapped, falling back on the tone of voice I had to use to get a point across to a subordinate who couldn't seem to grasp the information I had presented to him.

"Yes Sir!" then he replied instantly and then he paused and looking at his Captain asked "Sir?"

"Just get him the damn animals Davis and then get them out of my sight."

"Yes Sir. Come with me gentlemen."

I slipped the Lieutenant one of the Twenty Dollar gold coins in exchange for him loaning me a wagon and a teamster to drive it. Smiling he tucked it into his shirt pocket and ten minutes later a wagon and teamster appeared. Securing the feed, pigs and chickens in it and tying the goats, cow and her calf to the rear I gave the teamster directions to Elizabeth's farm. Then leading the horse, the sheriff and I headed back to town.

"The folks here are surely going to appreciate what you've done for them Major." the Sheriff said to me as we stood in front of his office.

"I hope so Sheriff, but I do need to ask a favor of you."

"What is it Son?"

"Please call me Thad or Thaddeus and stop calling me Major. I am desperately trying to leave that behind me."

"That won't be easy Son. Not in these parts. I served with a young Major down in Mexico a few years back. His name was Longstreet and I'm not a smart man, but I am smart enough to know that you don't become a Major in any army without being able to lead men by instilling trust and confidence in your abilities to lead them. Old Pete, he could do that, and I see the same thing in you. Riding alone into an enemy camp and riding out with everything you demanded? Hell, that story will spread around here faster than a wildfire."

"Can you at least try?" I asked, feeling slightly embarrassed by the platitudes.

"Yes Thad, I can do that." He said grinning back at me.

"Thank you, Sheriff, may I beg one more favor of you?" I asked with a sly grin on my face.

"What?"

"Can I persuade you to loan me a pen and give me a sheet or two of paper, so I that I might write a letter to the military governor in Frankfort and ask him to open an investigation?" I asked.

Laughing the sheriff said, "Absolutely Thad. Hell, I may just deliver it myself."

I passed the teamster and wagon about ten minutes from the farm and I watched as Elizabeth flew from the porch to the yard when she saw me turn Thunder and her new mare off the road and onto the entrance to her farm. Dismounting I untied the mare and led it over to her.

"I told you I would be alright." I said smiling down at her.

"What is this?" she said as I handed her the lead.

"I believe they call it, a horse. The Army wasn't using this one and they said I could take it. The rest of what they said I could take should be here in ten or so minutes." Then taking her hand I mine, I deposited a small pouch containing her payment into her palm.

"Is this a dream?" she said looking at me as if I had avenged every wrong in the world.

"It was simply a misunderstanding Missus Sullivan. I think I have it cleared up for now, but I may have to have another discussion with the commanding officer. He is Infantry and sometimes it takes two or three attempts to get a message through their thick skulls."

"And the Cavalry is different?" she said laughing.

"Absolutely!" I responded laughing and then added, "We are handsome, dashing, intelligent, charming, modest to a fault and we always end up with the prettiest women around." I immediately regretted saying it until I saw her reaction.

Stepping back, she looked at me blankly for a second and then laughing said "Why Mister Thatcher! If I didn't know any better, I would think you were flirting with me!"

"Missus Sullivan, I was a cavalryman. When I start flirting with you; you will know it." Then I winked at her and started to walk Thunder and her new mare to the barn. I hadn't gotten ten feet when I heard her softly say, "Thaddeus?"

"Yes Elizabeth?"

"There are oats in a barrel in the last stall. Make sure you give them some."

I turned back to look at her and she was looking down at the ground. When she looked back up she was blushing slightly, then she turned and walked toward the house.

Shannon was slightly disappointed that I hadn't been able to find Matilda, but she was thrilled when I handed her the small crate with the little brown hen in it. Declaring loudly to all that were present she stated, "Her name is Myrtle!" Then nodding firmly, she walked toward the chicken coup with a purpose and a smile on her face. Elizabeth looked at me strangely for a moment then she grinned and turned her attention to the cow and its calf.

I spoke to the teamster briefly and found out that the unit was from Wisconsin and it had been in Kentucky for about five months to refit after Nashville and had been there since. He told me that the men hated the commander, because he was a replacement that had never seen combat and his father was too politically connected for him to be relieved of his command. Then he said that the men would probably be thrilled that someone had stood up to him and won. "Wonderful," I thought to myself, "I've created a politically connected enemy with over one hundred trained killers at his disposal."

Once I got the animals where they belonged and made sure they had food and water, I settled down in the barn for a bit thinking to myself that this had been the best day I'd had in a very long time. I felt good to have helped someone out and I was going to miss this place when I left in the morning.

About five o'clock Elizabeth appeared in the door of the barn and declared that supper was on the table and that I needed to wash up and come in and eat. Then glancing quickly over her shoulder at the house she stepped across the threshold of the barn and whispered, "I need to say something to you."

"What?" I asked as she walked over and stood in front of me.

"Thank you for what you did today. It means the world to me. I've been so terrified this past month that I couldn't sleep at night and you doing this has been a gift from God for me and for Shannon." Then she stood on her toes and kissed me solidly on the lips. For the briefest of moments, I felt the warmth and pressure of her breasts against my chest and then she broke away from me.

I stood there dumbfounded for an instant then she began to giggle.

"What?" I asked.

"You should have added 'easily made speechless' to your list of attributes earlier."

"It only happens when a stunning woman ambushes me."

"Thank you for the compliment but I'm too old for you Thaddeus. Far too old."

"No, you're older but you are far from being too old."

"I'm thirty-seven." she stated, sounding almost remorseful about it.

"I'm twenty-two."

"Dear Lord! I'm almost old enough to be your mother!" she gasped.

"I reckon you are but you're still a very stunning woman Elizabeth."

"Thank you, but you're just trying to make an old lady feel good."

"No, I'm simply stating the truth. You really are a beautiful woman and you are far from being old or even too old, but you got one thing correct Missus Sullivan."

"What is that Mister Thatcher?" she asked with smile on her lips.

"You clearly are a lady; through and through." I said looking down into her eyes.

She blushed a deep red and quickly looking away and clearing her throat before she looked back up at me saying, "Thank you. Don't run off after dinner tonight Thaddeus, I have a proposition for you."

I arched an eyebrow and said piously, "So soon? I hardly know you Missus Sullivan! A young gentleman has to protect his reputation you know?"

She threw her head back and laughed saying, "You were also right about one thing today young man."

"That is?"

"I would know when you started flirting with me." she added smiling at me, "Now hurry and wash up before supper gets cold." Then she turned and walked out of the barn. Suddenly I couldn't help but notice the gentle sway of her hips beneath the material of her skirt as she walked away from me.

Supper was a simple meal of the grouse I had bagged yesterday, cornbread, green beans and turnip greens but it was the second homecooked meal that I had eaten in as many days. I was in Heaven and glancing across the table at Elizabeth I could not help but notice that she was smiling as she watched me eat. By the time I was finished there wasn't a scrap of food left on the table.

"I must say Mister Thatcher, you certainly eat with a gusto that I am unaccustomed to seeing. Do you eat everything with such enthusiasm?"

"Consider it a compliment to the chef ma'am. Her skills are far superior that those I have been subjected to as of late. And to answer your question; I do when it is possible." I replied smiling at her.

"Momma sure knows how to cook doesn't she Mister Thatcher?" Shannon piped up proudly.

"Yes, she does Shannon and I am truly grateful for it. The greens were delicious."

"The secret to that is easy. You just have to warm the water up slowly and wait for it to get very hot before you dip anything into it." Elizabeth replied looking me directly in the eyes.

"And keeping it hot after you dip something into it?" I asked staring back into her blue eyes.

"Just as important." She said with a knowing smile on her lips.

"I will keep that in mind Missus Sullivan." I said, hoping that my trembling hands weren't noticeable.

"You do that Mister Thatcher." Then pausing she added seriously, "I said I had a proposition for you; are you interested?"

"That depends on the terms ma'am." I said honestly.

"I cannot operate this farm by myself and I cannot afford to hire help to do it for me. I need a man here to help me and you have proven to be one of very honorable intentions and morals. Would you be interested in staying on through the next few months and helping Shannon and me? We can put a bed in a stall in the barn and I would do the cooking and your laundry for you. I would even be willing to split any profits with you at the end of the summer after the harvest."

"May I have some time, a day or two at most, to consider your proposal Missus Sullivan?"

"Certainly, Mister Thatcher, but you must decide soon. Some of the crops needed to be planted weeks ago."

YouDidWhut
YouDidWhut
1,580 Followers