When Worlds Collide Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You play nice," he growled at the vampires before he strode out of the room with his woman safely ensconced in his arms. He kicked the door shut behind them and crossed to the sofa in the study.

"I'm sorry, Annie," he groaned kissing her gently as he cradled her on his lap. "Please say you forgive me. I had to find a way to keep Demetri on our side. He was ready to walk especially now Mara is home."

Rhianna drew a shuddering breath looking into his anguished face. "It was all an act?" she asked shakily her eyes brimming with more tears. "You weren't really going to let Rafe stand alone?" She searched his face intently, her heart thumping loudly in her chest as a torrent of emotions ran through her; anger, relief, hope.

"Do you seriously believe I would ever break your heart like that, my Annie?" he whispered softly. "Rafe will never stand alone, not as long as I live. I gave you my word. I would never break it, not ever."

She uttered a strangled moan and threw her arms tightly around Caleb, burying her head in the side of his neck. "I was so frightened, Caleb," she breathed tearfully. "I thought you weren't going to help. I thought I was going to lose him again."

Her tears soaked the side of his neck and his arms clutched her even tighter.

"I won't let anything happen to him, love. I swear it. No matter what happens I'll keep him safe for you." He didn't know just how he was going to keep that promise but he would die trying. He couldn't bear the thought of her grieving for her brother again, not after the last time when she had sunk into such blackness when she had believed he was dead. He never wanted her to ever feel that kind of pain again.

Caleb soothed his woman gently, kissing her face tenderly as he stroked her hair and her tears finally slowed to a trickle. He wiped her face gently, staring into her beautiful lavender eyes. "Forgive me?"

"Always," she whispered with a tremulous smile. "Don't you know that by now, Caleb?"

He smiled softly at her, thanking whatever deity there was in the heavens above that his precious woman had such a pure, forgiving soul. Lord knew how many times he'd messed up and needed her forgiveness and always she gave it with no reservations at all. "I love you, my Annie," he sighed softly brushing her lips gently with his own.

"I love you, Caleb," she murmured against his lips, her arms holding him so tightly.

He allowed them one more brief moment together before he sighed and pulled his mouth from hers. "We'd better get back before Demetri decides he's bored and starts a pissing contest with the Weres," he said with a rueful smile.

"It's not Demetri I'm worried about," she answered with a deep frown marring her beautiful face.

"Don't fret so much about the twins," Caleb said firmly, standing up and depositing her gently on her feet. "Demetri has them well in hand and I've promised them I'll kill them both if they step out of line. They'll behave."

She gave him a startled look at his causal tone, swallowing slightly when he smiled at her. He meant what he'd said. He would personally kill the two vampires if they stepped out of line. This side to him was one she didn't see very often and it intimidated her slightly even as she felt a little more relaxed about the Romanovs being at the compound. The fact she wasn't horrified at the prospect of Caleb killing the two vampires was a little disconcerting to say the least but now was not the time to examine those feelings. She took Caleb's hand and headed back to the dining room.

Mara was talking quietly with Lacey when they re-entered the room, getting to know the new addition to her circle of friends. Rafe surprisingly wasn't glued to his mate's side, instead he and Jared were sitting across from Demetri discussing how best to form a line of defence against the coming vampires. Andrei was grinning impudently at the five betas dotted around the room, seeming to be having great fun and drawing their angry glares down on his head. Alexei had moved to lean against the wall closest to the door, his arms folded and his brown eyes cold as he surveyed the room slowly. For two species who supposedly hated each other they looked downright friendly compared to when they had first come in.

Rhianna slipped her hand from Caleb's and gave Demetri a quick hug from behind. He turned his head and looked at her intently for a moment before he smiled gently and patted her arm. His attention immediately turned back to the Weres as she released him and headed over to Mara and Lacey. Caleb sat down beside his friend and joined in with their planning session.

There was a little bit of dissension between them but Caleb quickly soothed it over until they were in agreement on what they were going to do. Jared cleared his throat and gathered everyone back to the table. He looked at Caleb to see if he wanted to outline the plan but the vampire conceded to him.

"Okay, we've reached an agreement," Jared said firmly. "Mara and Lacey will be situated in the house. Annie, you'll be with them. I'll give you three Weres to back you up but essentially that's all you'll have. It will be your job to keep Mara and Lacey safe."

The little redhead nodded shooting a quick glance at Caleb and Demetri. Neither of them objected and she smiled widely. She had expected them to lump her in with the others, needing protection rather than being a worthwhile member of the defence. That they respected her enough to allow her to help increased her confidence immensely.

"Boss, I volunteer to help Annie," Ben said from his position on the far wall. He was fond of Rafe's little sister and didn't let it bother him she was a vampire. He knew her quite well from her visits to Wicked. She always spent time chatting with him while he worked the bar. Plus, he would be directly protecting Rafe's mate too.

Rhianna looked at the sandy haired Were and gave him a grateful smile. He really was a nice man, not letting his natural enmity towards vampires cloud his judgement of her. She liked him a lot and it would be good to have someone she trusted in the house with her. Rafe also rumbled his approval.

"Thanks, Ben," Jared said. His gaze turned to Mike and Pete and he shook his head before either of them opened their mouths to volunteer too. "I need you both outside. Ben can select two others to join him inside the house." That settled he turned back to the vampires.

"Demetri anticipates Graves will use a lot of humans in his attack. The Weres will form an inner defence perimeter around the house. The humans will be our primary targets. The vampires will form the outer defence perimeter, meeting the other vampires head on."

"Just how many friendly vampires do we have, boss?" Pete asked from across the room. His stocky body was tense, his arms folded as his gaze bore into the brown haired vampire who kept grinning at him like a maniac and was really inciting his wolf to violence. It was with extreme difficulty that he was able to stop himself from shifting and launching himself across the room at the vampire.

Demetri followed the Were's angry gaze and tutted in irritation. He had expected Alexei to be the one he'd need to rein in but it appeared Andrei was going to be the pain in his ass. "Enough," he growled softly drawing his friend's eyes to his.

Andrei grinned unrepentantly at him but wisely kept his gaze averted from the Weres. At least until his friend looked away. Then he went back to his baiting of the dogs. It was so much fun watching them fight with their wolves.

"There will be five of us in the compound," Caleb answered trying not to roll his eyes at the byplay between Demetri and Andrei. "You're looking at them."

The Weres stared at them stunned for an instant. "Only five of you?" Jared finally asked. Five vampires were better than none but Lord only knew how many Graves was bringing with him. How did they expect to hold the line if there were only four of them? Rhianna would be in the house so she didn't really count in the numbers outside.

"In the compound, yes," Caleb reiterated. "There will be more in the forest though, possibly as many as another twenty. They will be the first line of defence. We will take care of any vampires who breach that line."

It made sense but Jared felt there was something more his friend wasn't telling them. He raised an eyebrow and Caleb sighed.

"I'm only bringing those into the compound that can be trusted not to 'forget' who their real enemy is, Jared," he admitted. "The history between our people is not easily forgotten by my kind. Those in the forest will be there because I asked them to be, not out of any real desire to aid you. Mostly they hate Graves more than they hate Weres and that's why they'll join the fight. Keep your people out of the forest as much as possible. I don't think the others will hurt them but I can't guarantee it. This is all I can guarantee." He waved at his people in the room.

Jared nodded his agreement immediately. He didn't want any friendly casualties, not to his pack and not to Caleb's people either.

"What about Graves?" Rafe asked quietly. "Who gets to take him out?" His expression was tight, his muscles tightly clenched as he looked at his brother-in-law expectantly.

Caleb met his gaze unflinching, knowing the big man wanted to take out the cause of his mate's pain, knowing that it was an impossible ask. "He's a vampire, Rafe. We will deal with him."

Rafe growled loudly and jumped up, his fury erupting instantly. "Graves is mine!" he bit out furiously.

"Oh goodie, dog meat," Alexei laughed softly, speaking for the first time since entering the compound. Demetri hissed as the tension in the room suddenly soared and the Weres started growling loudly at the insult. Caleb and Jared were instantly on their feet, both turning to their people and glaring furiously at them.

"Stand down!" Jared growled, his command tone sinking deeply in on all of the Weres present.

"Enough!" Caleb hissed striding over to blond vampire and getting right in his face. "Do I need to embarrass you in front of the Weres, Alexei?" he asked coldly.

"You could always try, Caleb," the other vampire hissed back at him refusing to back down.

Demetri moved so swiftly Mara gave a startled squeak, her eyes going wide with surprise. One moment Alexei was face to face with Caleb the next he was flat on his back with Demetri's booted foot pressing hard on his throat.

"You really shouldn't give him an option, Caleb," the dark haired vampire said drolly as he looked around at his friend. "Alexei understands actions so much better than words, don't you, my friend?" Glacial green eyes pierced the vampire beneath him in a deadly gaze.

"I think he'd have a better chance of answering you if you weren't crushing his throat, Demetri," Andrei remarked calmly, injecting a bit of humour into his tone. He was tense, ready to come to his brother's defence despite the fact it would be suicide to go up against his friend.

"Valid point," Demetri suddenly laughed, removing his foot and heading back to his seat. He smiled at Mara and stroked her cheek lightly before he turned back to the Weres as if he hadn't just floored one of his best friends.

Caleb followed his lead casting a quick glance at Rhianna to make sure she was okay. Her pleased smile shook him a little as she watched Alexei get up rubbing his throat and shooting a dirty look at Demetri. His woman really didn't like the Romanovs at all. It was surprising to see her take against anyone. She always found something good in everyone she came in contact with.

"He will be dog meat if he goes up against Graves," Alexei snarled, his expression unrepentant. "Graves will take him apart piece by piece and you all know it. Someone needs to let these dogs see just what they're up against. A fucking youngling could take them apart without breaking a sweat. He thinks he can just walk up to an ancient and take him out?" He snorted in disgust and sat back down.

"Alexei's right," Caleb said reluctantly. He hated having to agree with the blond vampire. "Rafe, I'm speaking as your brother now. You will leave Graves to us. I understand it will be difficult for you to do this. If you won't do it for me then I ask that you do it for Annie. Don't break her heart again."

Rafe quivered in fury, glaring at Caleb with a murderous rage inside him. Only Jared's command was stopping him from shifting and even with that his wolf was trying hard to break the rigid control his Alpha had over him.

"Rafe," Rhianna said urgently, seeing his inner struggle. She understood it, his need to avenge the wrong done to his mate but her fear for him overrode her understanding. "You promised me," she whispered. "No needless heroics, that we would both be standing at the end of this. Will you break your word to me, brother?" It was a low blow. She knew it and she knew he may never forgive her for it either but she would rather have him alive and disappointed in her than dead.

"Will you leave your child fatherless?" Lacey asked softly inside his head, joining in with the assault on his fury. She chose the one thing she thought would break through his initial fury, backing up her new sister who suddenly looked like a frightened child as she stared at her brother. "Annie needs you, Rafe. I need you, love. Please stay with us. We need you so much."

Rafe uttered a strangled groan fighting hard with his wolf as his two women strove hard to reach him. Annie's terrified expression tore at his heart, his mate's gentle plea shattering through the fury to reach deep inside him and drag him back into controlling his wolf. He reached for Lacey and pulled her into his arms, burying his head in the side of her neck as he took deep, tortured breaths.

Her touch soothed his snarling beast, her scent washed over him calming the deep rage. His beautiful mate whispered her love for him endlessly inside his head until he was once more completely in control, trembling slightly against her. He kissed her blindly cupping her face gently as he silently thanked her for being his strength when he needed it so badly.

Smiling gently at his mate he turned to look at his sister, his precious child, and she looked so dejected that any lingering anger melted away. He was gathering her into his arms, holding her tightly as she shivered in his embrace. "It's okay," he whispered soothingly. "I won't break my promise, baby girl. No needless heroics."

Jared watched them, slowly relaxing as the tension in the room began to dissipate. His Weres had backed down but still remained alert. The vampires were once more being their usual arrogant selves. He knew he had Lacey to thank for Rafe calming down, her and his sister. He turned to his new pack member and gave her a grateful smile. She met his gaze and positively beamed with radiance at the approval of her Alpha. Lacey really was going to be a valuable addition to the pack. They just needed to keep her alive so she could realise her potential.

Caleb extracted his woman from her brother's arms and nodded his thanks to the big man. He really did know how difficult it was for Rafe to back down. If anyone had hurt his Annie he didn't think anyone would be able to talk him out of exacting vengeance. Rafe Hanlon was a better man than he would ever be for the simple reason he could put the needs of others before his own needs. It was a skill that Caleb just couldn't quite master, not where his woman was concerned.

"I presume we can continue now?" Jared asked slightly archly as Rafe took his seat again. No one contradicted him so he continued. "So it's agreed, the vampires will deal with Graves. Unless he gets through the line and becomes our problem."

Andrei laughed softly. "He won't get through our line. My brother and I have a friendly wager on which one of us will claim the kill and we're very competitive. Neither of us like to lose."

"Then I guess that's fortunate for us," Jared responded with just a hint of sarcasm in his voice. He really didn't trust the two brothers at all, and liked them even less than he trusted them. If they were an indication of the more trustworthy of Caleb's kind then he didn't particularly want to meet any of the others who would be secreted within the forest.

"I believe we've covered just about everything," Caleb interjected before any more egos could decide to be wounded and react accordingly. "The only question left is when Graves will strike."

"it won't take him long to discover Lacey has mated within the pack," Demetri answered. "He has his spies watching the pack just as I have mine watching his haunts. The moment he moves we'll hear about it instantly."

There was definite feeling that the meeting was drawing to end. Jared couldn't help feeling relieved that the vampires would be leaving soon. His people had behaved admirably considering the circumstances but they were pushed to their limits holding their wolves at bay from the repeated taunting of Demetri's friends. He would need to do something about their pent up aggression. Possibly have them do an hours run as soon as the vampires departed.

Rhianna suddenly turned to him and frowned slightly. "Where's Mills?" she asked.

Jared stared at her in surprise for a moment and then looked at Rafe. The big man shook his head slowly. "Didn't she call you?" Jared asked. "I just assumed she would have. She had to evacuate with the children. Aaron and Jen have gone with her. She's pregnant, Annie."

Rhianna gasped in surprise, her lavender eyes going wide before a huge grin crossed her face and she jumped up to give the Alpha a big hug. "Oh, Jared that's fantastic news," she cried happily. "I'm so happy for you both. What a clever boy you are."

Rafe choked loudly, trying not to laugh at the outraged expression which crossed his Alpha's face at being termed a boy. He watched Jared try to be insulted but failing to hold onto his disgruntled expression in the face of his sister's obvious joy at the news.

Jared burst out laughing and hugged the little redhead back. "I'm glad my virility meets with your approval, Annie," he remarked humorously.

"I think it's more important that it meets with Millie's approval," she quipped back lightly, her eyes dancing with laughter when he threw back his head and laughed loudly. The sudden lightening of the mood seemed to transmit among the Weres first and they relaxed a bit more.

"Caleb, you're going to be an uncle," Rhianna beamed happily.

The tortured expression which crossed his face had all three vampires at his side suddenly laughing loudly too.

"God forbid!" Caleb groaned. Uncle? Children? What the hell was he supposed to do with that? He'd never had to deal with a little person in his life before and didn't know where to start. He shot a pleading look at his woman. Surely she wouldn't really want him to act as some type of guardian to Jared and Millie's offspring?

The unexpected camaraderie shattered when Alexei's cell phone rang and he pulled it from his jeans pocket and listened briefly before putting it away. His brown eyes met Demetri's and he nodded his head. The vampires were on their feet instantly as the door to the house suddenly flew open and Bill Shepherd appeared in the dining room doorway. "Alpha, the vampires are on the move."

To be continued...

12