When You Least Expect It Ch. 01

Story Info
Who is James?
3.9k words
3.61
8.1k
9

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 05/23/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Rabdog
Rabdog
30 Followers

The following chapter is a new version. Aspects in this story have altered. The following story is my personal work, fiction and not related to real-life events or people. Characters are over 18. DO NOT COPY.

Summer is January, February, and December

Autumn is March, April, and May

Winter is June, July, and August

Spring is September, October, and November

****

Chapter One

In Australia's countryside of Victoria, you can go through summer, autumn, winter and spring in the one day. It so happened that today spring gave us a warm spring day.

It was the end of September with a month before our exams begin. After, we can say goodbye to high school and enjoy life. While looking forward to school ending, my friends and I are nervous for what awaits. We knew we had the afternoon off and decided on spending tonight together.

Four years ago when a car collided with the Forelle's, Alix's parents died. And Alix spent four months in the hospital recovering. Her oldest brother, Kaleb, was 19 at the time and became Alix's and her brother Jeremey's legal guardian. Alix's brothers are too protective of her. Kaleb in particular. Therefore, we are glad they allowed Alix to spend the rest of the day with us.

As I sat with my friends Alix Forelle, Rachael Baxter and Maddy Drake on our way to Rachael's home, we were reminiscing on how we celebrated Alix's birthday. Rachael's parents Justine and Julian are going to the city to see a show and are staying for the weekend. As they will be away, Rachael invited us to stay.

Rachael is the youngest of four. She sees her oldest brother and sister once a year, if that, but Wes still lives at home. Wes and Rachael have a close relationship.

After Rachael's parents had driven away, we put drinks for tonight in the fridge, snacks in the pantry and got set up for later. Drinks needed for tomorrow night, Rachael placed in the garage. Wes had his friends over too, yet they were going out later tonight.

****

Forgetting the men, we decided on ordering pizza as it neared 6 o'clock.

"We forgot the men!" Maddy, in a low voice shouted before Rachael connected the call. We laughed and looked at each other.

"Let us see what they are doing" Rachael continued to laugh as she went to the stairs.

"Wes, when are you leaving?" Rachael called out.

"Why?" came Wes' typical response.

Rachael rolled her eyes causing the rest of us to laugh again. "I am going be ordering pizza and do not want you, idiots, to eat ours." calling back before re-entering the kitchen.

That response had Wes and his friends, Justin Drake, Brandon Heat and Frank Crosse, in an instant descending the stairs. When they entered the kitchen, they stopped and laughed at Alix, covered in paper, bows the works.

Maddy and Justin are often hanging around the same group of friends. That does not worry them. They have an older sibling who Justin sees more than Maddy. Maddy and Justin have much freedom because their parents work so much.

"Dam girl looks as if you have under-seen major fun," Brandon commented after he recovered.

Alix looked up at them before looking at her phone.

"Well, being the last one to turn 18 out of us, we needed too," I replied. Causing them to laugh even harder.

"Sure, you guys can laugh. You will not be trying to get it off later." Alix stated when she looked back up, causing them to stop laughing. They gave each other contemplative looks, then replying together, "We are more than willing and able to help."

"that makes perfect sense," stated Maddy taunting them "Any chance you get to be nearby the captain of the netball team." This time, it was we girls, who burst out laughing. The 'I am sure I do not know what you mean.' looks the four wore, our reason.

"What you need to achieve is getting around her brothers. Without being injured." Rachael piped in after Maddy.

I had to admit, Alix is stunning. While we were not vain in our appearances, we looked after ourselves. Alix, the only blonde-haired one of us, which she keeps at 5cm below her shoulders. From light workout sessions at the gym and playing netball, her hourglass figure is firm. With a height of 160cm, green eyes, and the nice hourglass figure, Alix is more than a few men's fantasies.

Maddy is involved in basketball, which keeps her fuller hourglass figure tight. Her mouse brown hair with a nice, loose wave through it that comes to rests in the middle of her back. Ocean blue eyes and a height of 162cm complement Maddy as she has legs to die.

Rachael is blessed. Her deep grey eyes and dark brown dead straight hair allows her to stand out. Hair long, it goes past her hips though she loves it that length. As a competitive swimmer, Rachael has gone to more than a few State swim-offs. Her defined straight shape figure and a height of 166cm helps her swim career.

I am Emily Rubbinson; I am involved in volleyball and netball. With my 170cm height and top hourglass figure, I find I prefer volleyball to netball. My recent, dyed black blue middle length tight curly hair matches my multi-coloured eyes. I was eight when the school my four older siblings went to, had a fire. Everyone died. Many families lost children. My parents were so grief-stricken; I lived with my uncle Victor for two years.

We are close friends and trust each other with our secrets. When Maddy and Frank went out for over a year and ended the relationship on mutual grounds. When she had caught him cheating. We found out within the hour. I have not divulged one secret. I am too scared to tell them.

"Hey Alix, was that you brother?" Shouted Justin. Embarrassing Alix.

"Yes, making sure I have the time they are picking me up tomorrow," Alix replied, ending that conversation.

"Ok, ok. Stop picking on Alix. Do you want pizza?" Rachael asked now that everything had calmed.

"You bet we do. One each. Get a Supreme (Ham, mushrooms, hot salami, capsicum, and shrimps), Meat Lovers (Ham, hot salami, bacon, and BBQ sauce), Aussie (Ham, and egg) and BBQ Chicken (Roast chicken, pineapple, and BBQ sauce)." Wes listed off while looking at the others who were nodding in agreement to his selections.

"Four" we shrieked together, stunned.

"Yes." replied Brandon, as if it was obvious.

"Because we are twenty-one does not mean we have stopped eating as if we are teenagers." Added Justin

"Do not forget that we work during the day and then play football (Australian Football League (AFL)) on the weekend. We need the energy and stuff we can get from our food." Frank piped in without fault. You can tell they played footy. They are muscular.

Wes at 193cm is the tallest. Short, styled dark brown hair with light grey eyes. Frank not far behind Wes, at 191cm, has short messy light brown hair and blue eyes. Brandon's blond hair is not yet at shoulder length. With a height of 188cm and dreamy brown eyes. Justin is the shortest at 187cm with green eyes that match his long jet-black hair. His hair is always in a ponytail.

"Fair enough, fair enough." Maddy swift and loud enough said to get them to quiet.

"I will order then." Rachael replied to Maddy. As Rachael dialled, a knock sounded from the front door.

"I will go" I spoke, no one thinking more of it. We treat each other as family.

As I was walking away, Wes caught up with me, placing his arm around my shoulders. Growing up without my siblings, it felt nice when Wes treated me as if I was his sister.

"I will get it," Wes said as I reached for the door.

"I am here; you are not obliged to follow." I replied, looking up at him. In that moment, talking to Wes as if I was fifteen again, and I blushed. Over the past four months, it has been flirty between us two.

"Cannot have friends answer our doors, even if they are family." Wes laughed with a smile that gave him dimples.

"Well, you were just too slow. Playing football, you should work on that." I replied with a smile and laugh, to which he joined.

I turned the handle, with Wes's arm still around my shoulder. As I was pulling the door open, I froze when I saw who was there.

James, my ex.

James and I ended on awful terms, and he took up stalking. It never rose to the level that is required for the police to get involved. James and I dated for three solid years. He was two years ahead of me when we first meet. In front of the lockers trying to get out of the rain, he appeared carefree. After one year, I thought I loved him. He finished high school at the end of the year we met and when he did, it made our relationship hard. In the last six months of our relationship, he got paranoid and emotionally abusive. He worried me and I got scared thinking of what he is capable of.

James played footy with Justin, Brandon, Frank, and Wes before we finished. This meant he is muscular at 189cm, hazel eyes, black hair and tanned. Our love of sport drew us to one another; but soon realised that we had more in common and our relationship grew.

I stood frozen and the only thing running through my mind was 'oh shit oh shit. How did he find me? Will he not leave me alone?' His smile drew me out of shock. The knowing smile you see when you are trying to work something out but cannot get it so you give in and that same smile brightens because they bettered you. He had that look expect, it appeared more evil.

The fact he is standing in the doorway of my friend's home shocked me and came through in my small voice. "James, how did you find me here?"

James did not answer. He stood there and appeared as if he had seen no one who compared. The same smile, he wore a moment ago still on his face.

"Emily asked you a question," Wes stated as he removed his arm, from around me, and folded them across his chest. Realising I was not alone and with another man, woke up James. Enough for him to responded albeit with anger.

"Wanted to see you. Is that okay? I did not expect you to have company. Why are you with this prick? Are you now together? You are cheating on me. You bitch?" The accusations he was throwing around made it appear he never met Wes.

Not wanting to draw attention away from whatever is so funny in the kitchen, I lowered my voice not wanting to draw attention. "CHEATING! We have not been together for over six months, James. You know Wes is Rachael's brother and a brother to me." I paused allowing it to sink in although I could not tell if it had. His expression never changed. "I do not live here. Explain why is it your belief I should be alone? No, do not answer that. I want you to leave and leave me alone. I am finished with you." Trying to stop the fear from coming out, but was unsuccessful.

If the way his expression changed, was any sign. He got off on my fear. I could see it in his eyes. "My sweet girl, we had a small fight. It caused no reason to end our relationship. I love you. You know that. Come with me and we can talk. We can work this out between us." James calmly replied as if what I said never registered. As if, he was a new person. His calmness caused me to become even more agitated and flinch at how he was now acting compared to not a minute ago.

Wes sensing my agitation stepped in front of me, blocking me from James' view. "Emily asked you to leave. I do not want to repeat what Emily has requested. If I see you around here again I will call the cops." If this were anyone else, a statement that should get him to leave, except James is unlike anyone else. That statement never deterred him. Shown in the way he stood his ground.

He stayed there for a few moments before pushing Wes aside. He located me and said in a deadly calm voice, which sent a chill running through my spine. "I will see you around beautiful." Then turned and left.

Wes watched him, making sure he got in his car and left before closing the door. Locking the door and turning. By the time he faced me, he saw how shaken I had become. 'Why can't he leave me alone?' Lost in my thoughts, Wes placed his hands on my shoulders, so light I did not notice them at first. His grip hardened, bringing me out of my thoughts.

I blinked up at him, forgetting he was there. Wes turned me around, led me away from the front door, into their second, smaller living room off to the side. I allowed him to escort me over to the couch where when my knees hit the edge, Wes guided me to sit. Once seated, Wes sat beside me, connecting with my leg, when he asked, "Emily, why did James come here? What has he done that has you so scared of him?"

I took a while to register him talking. When I did not respond, worry crept into his voice. "Emily. Emily?" I realised what he had asked I resigned myself to telling him the whole story. The story I tried to keep from coming out. Wes is the brother I believe my brothers could have been.

I told Wes the full story of James and me. How when we dated, the first few months I was reluctant with him leaving school and being older. The first year and a half were magical but at the halfway mark of the relationship, he changed.

It was not noticeable at first but by the last six months of the relationship, I became worried he would hurt me or do something to one of my friends. He was always complaining how I was never spending time with him and either with my friends or involved sports.

As I finished I looked up and noticed everyone in the room. Listening to what I had been saying. They arrived to see why we did not return. Wes stood up when Alix, Maddy, and Rachael walked towards me to comfort me. They sat beside me and held me but it was when Frank handed me a tissue I realised I had tears running along my face.

"Thank you." I somberly responded before I continued, "sorry for crying on your birthday Alix, tonight is supposed to be a fun, just the four of us. Thinking of him showing up here did not cross my mind. Let alone James knocking on the door." "Stop worrying; we achieved a minority of fun and more. What I don't understand is how you didn't tell us this was happening." Alix responded with a worry and sincerity that made me realise, this was now my family. Ten years on and I now realise I have brothers and sisters. I never realised that my friends were becoming my family until this moment.

"I wanted to protect you guys from him. When I told him his crazy mood and restrictions had been making me crazy, he threatened your selves. I never believed he become this merciless. Hoped he moved on after a month." Looking at my knees, I replied shamefully. More tears coming to the surface.

****

Unknown to them, James left only to return. James completed a block and returned to park in front of a different house. From across the street, he was now listening to everything said with a parabolic microphone. Talking unabated was adding fuel to the fire.

****

The men moved away from the doorway and were standing, kneeling or sitting, in front of us, when Wes began.

"Hey don't do that, don't look shameful." Started Wes when Justin added. "Yeh, you are our friend too and what you needed to say," "any of you girls need to say," chipped Brandon. Before Justin talked again, he shot a dirty look Brandon's way for interrupting, causing laughs from us girls. "You only need to say you need help and we will help where possible." Justin finished as Brandon extended on what he was saying. "We may tease and treat you girls as our annoying younger sister who we want to ditch," "Gee thanks for that." Interrupted Maddy, getting another laugh from everyone and lightening the mood more. "As I was saying," Brandon responded with a cheeky grin. "We may tease and treat you girls as our annoying younger sister who we want to ditch but we still care enough to do no matter what for you, girls."

"Thanks, guys, it's just when James got stalky and the police said they cannot do something, I got scared. I thought it better to keep it to myself to protect you where I can." I spoke up after letting everything said sink in.

"You know what, we'll cancel our plans. Stay the night with you, celebrate Alix's birthday and try to get the fun to come back." Wes said to his friends, but everyone nodded their heads in agreement.

The boys secured the house, got sleeping bags, pillows, rugs and set them up with the others, in the main living room. The pizza arrived as they had finished talking. Seven boxes worth. To the girls surprise, no pizza remained by the time everyone was asleep. They watched movies talked, told stories, secrets, laughed and by the time they fell asleep Emily was feeling better than she had the past few months. Sharing is the best thing if you are anxious or worried.

****

James listened and wrote any information that involved Emily or was important enough. He still found it hard to believe that she thought that. Even knowing that James could not believe she refused to come back to him. She could come either by herself or with help. Sooner the better.

After everyone in the house fell asleep, James waited around for another half hour then drove back to the den where he did not know his Alpha is waiting. It took thirty minutes before James reached the den gates, entered his code and then drove a further fifteen minutes to get to the housing.

These past few months Alpha Lucas Lakeson of the Lakeson pack, in southern Victoria, noticed the change in James and worried for his Theta. before this, Lucas had been considering promoting him to Beta. Until he discovered what is happening with him, he needed to put that out of his mind.

Lucas has been around enough rogue changes to be aware, that if a rogue bites you, you go through the transformation different. Four hundred years living saw to that. He wondered if James' behaviour had to do with his change. He dismissed this idea straight away though because in his pack were 23 werewolves who rogues had attacked. No, James' behaviour had something to do with him, individually.

When James pulled up and saw Lucas waiting for him, he realised the need to devise something good to hold his Alpha off questioning him. He hated when people questioned him. James hated it before becoming this thing. More now. His Alpha always wanted information on his activities and was the most annoying. He never understood why. He hated being a werewolf, hated everything that came with being a werewolf.

Lucas watched James sitting in the Jeep, putting things away while calming himself. Suspicion crept into his mind, wondering what he had put away.

When James exited the vehicle, it was with a bag which he swung over his left shoulder. This had Lucas even more suspicious. James walked to Lucas, wanting to know what he needed. He only wanted to go to bed. James wished he were not a Theta so he could challenge the Alpha. He knew he would die if he challenged the Alpha as a Theta. It is his strong belief Lucas is no longer a good Alpha. Not as he had been, and not as good as his father, Alpha Ryan Lakeson. That is according to the rumours. Truthfully, James did not care who was alpha. He did not care for Alpha Lucas, he did not know why.

"Alpha," James said as he bowed his head.

Lucas examined James before responding, "Do you realise that the time is after one thirty in the morning? I am unrestricted with when you leave. Under the assumption, you do not go days without prior authorisation. Can you please tell me what you did which required five days without being heard from or seen?" Lucas asked, always careful of how he spoke but anger sneaked into his voice. It is his understanding that James has a short temper. In addition, he did not want to wake anyone.

"Sorry Alpha" James started with sarcasm that Lucas did not miss, "I didn't realise it has been five days. I was checking up on my girlfriend. We had a fight. I have been smoothing things." James hoped it be enough for his Alpha. Leaving early in the morning, James only wanted to sleep.

"Thank you, James, for your explanation. Remember that this community functions when everyone does their job and you not being here for five days is unfair to everyone else. Understand?" Lucas asked trying to get through to James that he is still Alpha and that is a position that deserves respect.

Rabdog
Rabdog
30 Followers
12