When You're Near Me

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
StormyNite
StormyNite
507 Followers

The twenty-nine year old short stop grinned, assuring her uncle. "Goin' to the play-offs again this year."

Jack kept a loose arm wrapped over her shoulder. "You know, I don't care about that just as long you girls are having fun." The owner of Belle's Bar had sponsored his niece's team for the last seven years, but had yet to win the championship of their division. He kissed his niece on the cheek. "Now go on back to your celebrating."

When Jessie stepped back through the door with four bottles of whiskey, she overheard Krista ask her uncle. "Did you get that song I requested?"

"In the jukebox. Number 21." Jack squeezed his niece's shoulder then grabbed the bottles from Jessie. "I've got that. You go on. Enjoy yourself for a bit."

"What song's that?" Jessie asked.

************************


When Krista returned to her team's table, she realized Jessie had not followed her and was once again working behind the bar. For a second she considered helping out behind the bar until Shae decided to go on the prowl for her nightly ritual, leaving her and the rest of the team to celebrate in peace.

After several beers, Shae had loosened up and was feeling rather frisky as she surveyed the small bar filled with numerous future conquests. When she noticed her old friend and co-worker sitting in a booth next to a pretty brunette, Shae's brown eyes brightened. "Ah, new meat." She meandered over to the booth and propped her most lascivious smile on her face. "Hiya."

Morgan jumped up and wrapped an arm around her friend. "Shae. Come on. Sit down." The shorthaired factory worker scooted her girlfriend over, but Shae decided to slide in on the other side of the booth after another co-worker had just vacated her place next to Ashley.

Shae nudged the massage therapist. "How ya doing, sweetie?" The tall woman placed an arm over the back of the booth, making Ashley very uncomfortable. "You wanna drink?"

"No, thank you." Ashley scooted closer to Breanne, sitting next to her on her right.

Shae didn't bother to wait for an answer as she twisted around and yelled across the room. "Jack, another beer over here. Matter of fact, bring a pitcher."

It wasn't the first time that night Ashley wished she hadn't agreed to come to the bar. She was sorely in need of being saved at the moment. For some reason, she felt compelled to glance around the bar once as if searching for something familiar.

Shae turned back to her friend. "We're celebrating our big win." Then she turned her glassy brown eyes at Ashley and slurred. "I never strike out not even once and made a homerun and the winning play with..." The drunken first baseman burped, missing a few words before finishing her sentence with. "...myself."

"All by yourself, huh?" Ashley smiled sweetly as she delivered the cocky, not so subtle, question.

Shae was dumbstruck for a brief moment at Ashley's retort. She was pulled out of her stupor when Sally from her teamed called for her. "Be back later, doll." The tall woman gave Morgan a high five before leaving.

Morgan climbed out of the booth. "Be right back." The dark haired woman with very short wavy hair headed for the restroom.

Breanne nudged her friend. "So?"

"So what?" Ashley knew what was coming.

"Morgan's friend, Shae. She likes you." The blonde smiled for the first time since entering the bar.

Ashley's green eyes drifted toward the table where several softball players were celebrating. She studied the tall first baseman for a bit. Not only was she not Ashley's type, Shae's overpowering ego grated against her. But she could easily see why Breanne would be taken with her because her friend liked women that were more butch. Case in point, Morgan. The major difference between Morgan and Shae was in their personalities. While both Shae and Morgan had outgoing personalities, Morgan was not rude. She genuinely had a good sense of humor without any trace of vindictiveness in it unlike Shae. "Nah, I'm not interested."

"The least you can do is give her a chance. I'm gonna get Morgan to dance with me when she comes back." Breanne saw her girlfriend heading back to their booth. She quickly got up then leaned back down to Ashley. "Go ask her to dance."

Morgan wrapped her arm around her girlfriend's waist and headed out to the small dance floor near the jukebox.

Ashley was happy for the reprieve, but soon found a pitcher full of beer being placed in front of her. When she glanced up, she saw warm, gray eyes looking at her. "Hidy."

Jack studied her for a moment before sliding down next to her in the booth. "A pitcher of beer for your thoughts."

"I'm not drinkin'." Ashley held up her water. "Sober chauffeur."

"Haven't seen you here before so let me officially welcome you to Belle's." The broad grin on Jack's face invited the newcomer, but he sensed that the young woman wasn't as comfortable as he wished all his customers to be. He knew that some of the regulars would get rowdy from time to time, but Jack could sense oncoming trouble before it happened and generally was able to avoid it before it got out of hand.

"Oh, I was here about six months ago." Ashley advised the owner as she steadily looked into his kind eyes. "Just don't go out much." She found Jack easy to talk with and started to relax.

"Don't tell me you don't like my place." Jack winked at her.

"Nah, well..." Her eyes turned away from him. Ashley didn't want to hurt his feelings, yet didn't want to lie either.

"I am personally gonna make sure that changes tonight." Jack tapped the tabletop with the edge of his fist. "What do you want?" The owner held out his arms wide. "Anything in the bar. It's yours for the takin'."

His generous offer and kind words made Ashley reconsider her initial evaluation of the bar. "Thank you, sir, but I'm fine... really."

When one of the customers called for Jack to come and settle an argument, he placed a large hand over hers and said. " Nobody calls me 'sir' in here. You can call me Jack. And the offer's still open. If you see something you like, it's yours." He squeezed her hand.

"Thank you, Jack. Bye." The genuine smile disappeared on Ashley's face when she noticed Shae walk up right after Jack left. She turned her head quickly to avoid eye contact with the tall woman.

Shae stood there for a long moment contemplating her recent discussion with Sally, the pitcher, on her team. Shae had bragged to her teammate that she could bag the shy brunette before the night was over. The tall woman leaned down. "Aren't you just the sweetest little thing in the place."

Ashley only took a moment before making direct eye contact with Shae. "If you're lookin' for a 'thing', you've come to the wrong place."

Gonna play hard to get, huh?Shae sensed the challenge and figured she was up for it. "Come on, just one dance and I'll show you some moves you ain't never gonna forget."

Ashley just stared at the obnoxious woman.

Feeling uncomfortable under the hard look from the smaller woman, Shae finally asked. "What?"

Without missing a beat, Ashley said. "Oh, I forgot. Guess it wasn't that memorable."

"Huh?" Shae scratched her head, feeling she had just been insulted. "You gonna dance with me or not?"

"Nope."

Steamed, Shae stood back up to her full height. "Your loss." The tall woman turned to leave.

"And you said you never strike out."

Shae heard Ashley's cutting words, but continued to walk away, not wanting to admit that a woman had turned her down. She briskly walked past her teammate's table, even though Sally called her name. The tall woman headed to the bar and plopped down on the stool next to an older man well on his way to being drunk. When she saw Jessie, she demanded a drink. "Give me a bottle."

Sensing that something was wrong, Jessie wiped the bar in front of Shae, offering her a beer instead of whiskey. "What's wrong?"

"Bitch." Shae grabbed the mug and downed half of it. She looked back in the direction of the booth she had just left and saw the young brunette sliding out of it and spat. "Tight ass."

Jessie searched the area in which Shae was looking and saw the back of a young woman as she walked away. The blonde bartender smiled to herself.For once you're right, Shae. She does have a nice backside.

Ashley had decided to go outside and get some fresh air after her minor run in with the tall woman, but a hand on her shoulder stopped her. "Hey. Where ya going?"

Recognizing her friend's voice, Ashley turned around. "I sorda wanted..."

Fanning her face, Breanne was hot from the last two dances with her girlfriend. "I need a drink."

Ashley saw that two of Morgan's friends had joined her at their booth and they were enjoying the pitcher of beer that was now near empty. When she saw Shae leave the bar, Ashley offered. "I'll get it. Besides, I need another water. Be right back."

Breanne followed her friend as far as to their booth and then slid down next to her girlfriend. The blonde knew Morgan was nowhere near ready to leave.

Ashley made her way through the crowd and finally secured a spot at the far end of the bar. Her green eyes studied the group as she waited to be served.

Jessie had just poured two drafts and placed them on the bar top when Krista asked for some change from the cash register. "Thought you had to leave early?"

"We are. In a minute. I wanna play a couple more songs first." Krista took the change and headed for the jukebox. Having her favorite uncle own the bar had its advantages.

Leaning her head around, but with her eyes still watching her friend leave, Jessie asked the waiting customer. "What'll you have?"

The strums of a guitar filled the air and a soft, feminine voice gently accosted her ears, bringing a smile to Ashley's face as she placed her order. "Bottle of water, please."

Jessie's world stopped in that moment when she heard the sexy Texan twang mingle with the music playing in the background. Slowly, her eyes found their way to the origin of that mesmerizing voice.

Ashley turned and caught sight of the bluest eyes she had ever seen, capturing her in that moment where time stood still. A hitch in her breath jump-started the pounding of her heart and then she felt a full smile bloom on her face.

Jessie's sparkling blue eyes penetrated the green warmth of the pretty woman's eyes sitting across the bar. Without breaking the familiar connection, the part time bartender reached haphazardly for the requested order. Finally, she was able to reach the item and handed it to her customer.

When Ashley reached up and took the bottle without breaking their eye contact, she felt a spark of electricity as her fingers lightly grazed Jessie's hand. The words from the song penetrated Ashley's clouded mind and she shyly said. "I've never heard that song before. It's beautiful. Who sings it?"

Not wanting to break contact with the younger woman's hand, Jessie still held onto to the bottle. Listening to the words from the song, they soaked into her consciousness and found a home. "When You're Near Me."

Ashley's smile grew wider. "Funny name for a group."

Shaking her head, Jessie grinned. "No. It's the name of the song. Jackie Bristow."

"Is that your name?" Ashley teased the blonde.

"I'm sorry. She's the singer." The blonde let go of the bottle and offered her hand. "Jessie, Jessie Stone."

Taking the hand offered, the young brunette instantly felt the connection again. "Ashley Moore."

From across the room, Krista watched as her best friend held on to the bottle of water way too long and now it appeared Jessie was refusing to let go of the young woman's hand. "Hmm..... interesting." She immediately went to the jukebox, deposited the rest of her change and hit #21 several times.

While still holding the bartender's hand that didn't feel awkward at all, Ashley asked. "Is that a new song?"

Smiling, Jessie nodded her head. "She's from Australia. My friend requested it." The blonde realized she wasn't making sense and tried to correct her meaning. "Not my friend." Jessie glanced over toward Krista and smiled.

Krista waved and made brief eye contact with the woman who was still holding her best friend's hand.

Returning her eyes to Ashley, Jessie continued. "She's from here. My friend that is. I meant the singer was from Australia."

Shyly, Ashley looked deeply into sincere blue and smiled. "I know... what you meant. I like it."

A comfortable silence settled between them as the song concluded only to start up again. They both laughed in tandem when they heard the familiar song filling the room.

***********************

For the next couple of hours, Ashley remained rooted on the barstool sipping her water. For some reason, she was willing to wait patiently for her friends for when they were ready to leave. The inebriated man sitting next to her pushed a bowl of peanuts toward her. "Want some?"

Scrunching her eyebrows together, Ashley declined the offer.

He was about to insist when Jack cupped the man's elbow. "Come on, Davey. Cab's here."

Ashley was relieved when the owner escorted the man outside because several times his glassy eyes squinted at her as they traveled up and down her body. She noticed shortly after that happening once that Jessie diverted his attention with another watered down drink and then made a short call on the bar's phone. When the part time bartender stopped back by, Ashley said. "Thank you."

"For what?" Jessie asked innocently.

Nodding at where the drunken older man used to be sitting, Ashley grinned. "And I thought this was a gay bar."

"It is." Jessie shifted her weight from one leg to the next and shrugged. "He stops in after getting thrown out of O'Brien's down the street. Doesn't care if it's a gay bar or not, as long as we serve him. But Jack always makes sure he gets home safely."

"I noticed you mixing his drinks." Ashley didn't say anymore.

"Well... Jack lets him put it on a tab, but he never makes him pay." The owner had advised Jessie long ago to taper the old man drinks and put it on the fictitious tab.

When a customer called out to Jessie for a special brand of beer, the bartender winked and said. "I'll be right back."

Ashley watched her new friend disappear into the back room. She stared at the door for a long moment and was only brought out of her musing when a hand touched her arm.

"You okay?" Jack asked.

Suddenly back in the moment, Ashley nodded. "I'm fine." For some reason, she couldn't keep the silly grin off her face and when Jessie walked back out of the door carrying a case of beer, the smile grew wider.

"Hey, give me that." Jack rushed up and relieved Jessie of her load. "What'd I tell ya? I'd get it."

Stretching her back around in obvious pain, Jessie shrugged. "Customer wanted some beer." The blonde reached around and rubbed the right side of her lower back.

Jack twisted around and placed the case on the back of the bar then pointed at Jessie. "You. Sit." He waited till his part time bartender agreed and pulled up a tall stool right across from Ashley. "Now stay. I've got it." He noticed the smile on Ashley's face brighten. "And you."

Ashley's eyes widened.

"Make sure she doesn't move." Jack winked and picked up the case of beer then turned to his anxious customers. "I'm comin'. Hold your horses."

Ashley gave a silent thank you to the man that had offered her anything she wanted in the bar that night. And quite unexpectedly, to the young girl's surprise, she had gotten the very wish she didn't know she had longed for.

Jessie shrugged. "Guess we're stuck together."

Ashley flashed her green eyes and then blushed at her own comment. "And what a nice place to be stuck."

Jessie's blonde head did a double take, wondering what the younger woman meant, but it was soon forgotten when their eyes met again.

Krista was reluctant to interrupt the enchanted interlude, but did anyway. "Jessie?" She snapped her fingers in front of her best friend. "Jessie?"

"Huh?" Her blue eyes were still locked on to green as the song continued to play in the background. "I think the jukebox is stuck or something. It keeps playing that same song."

Ashley leaned closer as she played with the label on her water bottle. "I know."

Krista looked back and forth between the two mesmerized women. She turned to Ashley. "Since my friend won't introduce us. I'm Krista Parker." The ash blonde with a ponytail stuck out her hand and nodded toward Jessie. "Her best friend, but you couldn't tell... not the way she's ignoring me."

Somewhere in the pleasant midst of the soft music and probing blue eyes of the bartender, Ashley felt her attention was being beckoned. Seeing the outstretched hand in front of her broke their contact. "Oh, I'm sorry." The brunette cocked her head at the woman demanding her attention.

"Krista Parker. Glad to meet cha. Like I said before when neither one of you were listening, I'm her best friend." She took Ashley's hand. "And now I gotta say goodbye."

"Bye." Jessie hurried a short glance at her friend before returning her eyes to Ashley.What is it about her? She seems familiar.

A bit embarrassed for not noticing Krista earlier, Ashley's green eyes turned downward briefly as she sucked in a calming breath then looked up bravely at Krista. "It's nice to meet you."

Morgan, who was holding on to her girlfriend's hand as they approached the bar, interrupted them. "Jessie? Heard you made the game winning play."

The second baseman shrugged off the compliment.

"We need you on our soccer team as fast as they say you run." Morgan nudged Ashley. "Right?"

"Right." Ashley easily agreed. Earlier, the brunette had inspected the blonde's long legs quite thoroughly.

Tired of being ignored, Krista pretended to be annoyed. "I'm outta here. I can get this kind of attention from my boyfriend." She turned to Jessie. "See you at work in the morning."

Jessie nodded. When Morgan ordered a bottle of water for her girlfriend, Jessie jumped up and pulled a muscle in her back again, grabbing it. She hurriedly retrieved the bottle and gave it to Morgan. "Here you go."

"Thanks." Handing Jessie a couple of bills, Morgan then looked at Ashley. "You ready?"

"Uh huh." Seeing Jessie still rubbing her back, she felt bad because she had seen her doing it earlier and got lost in the song and those blue eyes. "I'll be right there." Ashley said to her friend then waited for Morgan and Breanne to leave. When she was alone with Jessie, the massage therapist pulled out a card and handed it to the hurting woman. "Here."

Jessie took the card and perused it. "You?"

Smiling, Ashley nodded. "Call me." She stood up and was about to leave when she hesitated and caught those blues eyes again and promised. "You won't regret it."

With that, the brunette walked away, leaving Jessie to ponder the meaning of the beautiful young woman's words.

Chapter Three

Tapping her mechanical pencil on the desktop, Jessie stared at the business card again. It had been like that all morning. The blonde was completely distracted, and she was behind on her paperwork. Every time she sat the card down and concentrated on her bookwork, it didn't take long for her eyes to return to the pretty purple lettering that spelled out Ashley Moore's name. She repeated the phone number several times to herself and had once inserted the number in the accounts receivable column.

Krista pushed open her friend's office door wide and entered without knocking. "They're arguing in the shop again." She cocked a thumb over her shoulder and pursed her lips together, waiting for Jessie to respond.

"I'm just supposed to push numbers around here. Why do I always get involved in personnel matters?" Jessie sent a mock glare at her friend and co-worker.

StormyNite
StormyNite
507 Followers