While You Were Sleeping Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Before I knew it, the week flew by, and it was the day before the wedding. During rehearsal, I think I got my line right. When the minister asked, "Who gives this woman to be married?" I answered properly.

"Her mother and I do." Now I just had to get it right during the real thing.

We all had a great dinner that night, at a local steakhouse. They had a side room for groups that was reserved for the occasion, and the meal was excellent. There was a lot of laughter during the meal, and before too long, we were heading for home.

Sidney had arranged to spend that night with her mother, so she could get ready the next morning for the big day. I was a nervous wreck, and all I had was one simple job. Walk down the aisle, say a few words. I just hoped that the practice from the rehearsal would be enough.

It's funny, but after I thought about it, the only reason I was doing it was for my daughters' sake. I loved her so much, and this was all about her, not me. I was being selfish again. After I realized that, I decided that I would get it right, just for her.

The next morning, the boys and I all got ready in our rented tuxedoes, and drove over to the park. It was a gorgeous morning with the sun shining, and not a cloud in the sky. The day couldn't have been more perfect for this wedding.

There were already quite a few guests there, sitting in the little lawn chairs, or milling about at the coffee and snack table. As it got closer to the time to start, everyone sat down. My wife was already seated in the front row, so I knew that my darling daughter had to be ready. I waited for her to come out as the rest of the wedding party started their walk down the middle aisle.

When she came out of the little prep tent, I almost fell over. She was radiant. There is no other way to describe her. The last time I remembered seeing anything so beautiful, was when my wife walked down the aisle at our own wedding. I know by this point I was choked up a bit, and just smiled from ear to ear at her.

"You ready for this, Dad?" she asked.

No, of course I wasn't ready for my daughter to grow up and move on with her life, what dad ever is? "Yes honey, I am. I love you so much," I said instead.

They started playing the wedding march, and we turned and walked down the aisle. We got to the front, and the minister asked his question.

"Who gives this woman to be married to this man?"

"Her mother and I do," I said. Thank god for small miracles, I got it right.

I sat down and she joined her fiancé in front of the minister to begin. The minister spoke some very elegant words, had them both repeat the traditional wedding vows to each other, and then pronounced them, "Husband and wife. You may kiss your bride."

Through the whole thing, Jenn was sniffling and holding my hand. This was a wonderful moment for all of us, and it felt good to be by her side. At the end, we stood in the greeting line to shake hands and hug the guests, as they congratulated Sidney and Jarred.

Afterwards, we all drove to the rented hall for the reception, and it was packed. There were a lot of toasts to the newlyweds, wishing them a great future together. My wife got up and gave a short speech as her toast.

"There were a lot of people that doubted this marriage, mainly because these two wonderful people are still so young. What I see are two people in love, and to me that is all that matters. Sidney, I love you both and wish you a great future together. To Sidney and Jarred!"

Everyone clapped and drank some of their Champaign. Of course there was clinking of the glasses prompting them to kiss, and they did. I remembered this part from my wedding, and how both great it was, and embarrassing every time someone decided it was time for us to kiss in front of the crowd.

I decided it was my turn to toast them, and got up. My speech wasn't prepared, other than speaking from the heart. It had sounded to me like Jennifer had used the same approach.

"No father ever wants to see their little girl grow up, but they do, anyhow. When Sidney first told me that she was getting married, well, it definitely came as a shock. I thought, 'how could she be in love, she's only eighteen'. She has her whole life ahead of her yet. Well, after seeing her with Jarred, I can tell that she made the right decision. She will be spending the rest of her life with someone she loves, and who loves her just as much in return. Jarred, you better take VERY good care of my little girl. I wish you both the best life together possible! Here is to the lucky couple!" There was a huge chorus of "CHEERS" to the couple.

After the dinner, there was a DJ that had set up. The bride and groom shared their first dance together as husband and wife, and they truly looked like they would be together forever. The next song was for the parents. It was the song "This Kiss" by Faith Hill. It was one of our favorite songs together.

I don't want another heart break

I don't need another turn to cry, no

I don't want to learn the hard way

Baby hello, oh no, goodbye

But you got me like a rocket

Shooting straight across the sky!

It's the way you love me

It's a feeling like this

It's centrifugal motion

It's perpetual bliss

It's that pivotal moment

It's, AH, impossible

THIS KISS, THIS KISS

Unstoppable

THIS KISS, THIS KISS

We both had tears in our eyes. We were so close, it just felt right. If only this song and dance would last forever.

Cinderella said to snow white

How does love get so off course?

All I wanted was a White Knight

With a good heart, soft touch, fast horse

Ride me off to the sunset

Baby I'm forever yours!

She had her head on my shoulder, and it was starting to get a little moist. At this point I can freely admit that I was getting her shoulder wet too.

It's the way you love me

It's a feeling like this

It's centrifugal motion

It's perpetual bliss

It's that pivotal moment

It's, AH, unthinkable

THIS KISS, THIS KISS

Unsinkable

THIS KISS, THIS KISS

The song played on as we danced, and much too quickly, the song was over and had changed to a fast tune. We were still holding tight and slowly moving together as if we were the only two in the room. I leaned to her ear and told her, "We need to talk. I have something I want to show you."

She just nodded her head on my shoulder, and wiped her eyes as we left the dance floor. She ran off to the bathroom as I went out to my car. I came back in and waited outside the ladies room, until she came back out.

She started, "You said you had something to show me?"

"Yes, I do. Here," as I handed her a packet.

She opened it, and put her other hand to her mouth as she cried out.

"That is the divorce packet. I never signed it, and never filed it with the court. I told the lawyer that I would no longer need his services," I said.

She looked up at me, "Is this for real? Matt, what does this mean?"

"Just what you think it does. Jennifer, you are, and have always been, my whole life. I had to do a lot of soul searching, but realized that there was no way I could give you up."

She was still crying, and ran to give me the warmest embrace I had ever felt. We hugged for what seemed like eternity, until we heard some coughing. We turned to see the kids, all smiling at us, from the doorway.

Epilogue:

It has been three years since that day, and I am still the luckiest guy on earth. If I have any regrets at all, it's that I almost gave up the best thing in my life. I have learned that we all make mistakes, some bigger than others.

After talking with our own lawyer, we got a settlement from that trucking company for nearly two million dollars. After all was said and done, we had a lot of extra money left over. We eventually planned to use it to help all the kids and grandkids, with things like college funds and houses when the time came. We also did buy that cottage out in the country, selling our big house in the city.

Jim's murder was never solved, as far as I know. We sent his family a sympathy card, but mostly because his parents were nice people. I will always wonder if someone we knew had anything to do with it.

My daughter is due to graduate from college next year, with a nursing degree, and her husband just got back from his last tour in Afghanistan. He was honorably discharged, and with the training he got in the military, was able to get a great job working at a major airline fixing planes. Sidney promised us, that after they got better established, they would start working on some Grandkids for us.

My sons both went on to college, and are making us proud every day. Both are dating, so we will see where that leads them in the future. For now, they just say that they are very happy.

As for Jennifer and I, we still make passionate love to each other as often as we can. After that wedding, we took a cruise, ourselves, to start over. It was one of the most romantic times of our lives, and we enjoyed every minute of it.

We both continued seeing Rose for a while, making sure that we were able to keep talking to each other about everything, no matter what. We made a promise to each other to always communicate, no matter how bad things got. We also both re-affirmed that we were only meant for each other, and I truly believed Jenn. She is such a great and caring woman, how could I not love her?

All-in-all, things are going well for us, and I have to say my uncle was right. My life is much better with her in it, than without her.

*************

I truly hope that you enjoyed reading this as much as I did writing it. I welcome comments and suggestions, and look forward to moving on to my next adventure! Also, I need to extend a huge thank you again to my editor Guinahart for spending her precious time editing these chapters.

RNebular

*****

Characters:

Matt Jordan - Coma victim

Jennifer (Swenson) Jordan - Wife

Jim - Matt's best friend

Sidney - The daughter

Steven - Older son

Tommy - Younger son

Rachael - Jennifer's childhood best friend

Doctor Stephens - Matt's Doctor

Mary - Sidney's best friend

Donna - Nurse friend of Jenn (black woman)

Doctor Swinson - Matt's therapist (woman)

Doctor McGregor - Counselor

Tammy - Jennifer's college friend

Jarred - Sidney's fiancé