Whose Fault Was It Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A few minutes later Janet was at the far end of the judge's chambers with the two envelopes in her hand. The judge had offered her a letter opener but it was still difficult for Janet to open the thinner of the two. On the outside was marked 'questions'. Janet pulled the single sheet of paper out and opened it. She began to read with tear filled eyes.

Questions.

1.What is your full name?

2.Where do you reside?

3.Are you the lawfully married wife of Mark Randal Parker?

4.Do you remember what you were doing the night of April May 14th of this year?

5.Will you tell us the last time you saw your husband?

That was the only questions and there was no information as to how Mark had anticipated Janet would answer the question. She had to wipe the tears from her eyes before she replaced the folded page back in the envelope and opened the second.

This was three sheets. Unfolding them she began to read.

Legal Sworn Statement

Mark Randal Parker

This 8th Day of September 2000

1 Capital Square

Suite 2110

Nashville TN 37211

I Mark Randal Parker come to give a full and sworn statement to be used in the proceeding of divorce from one Mrs. Janet Lane (Emerson) Parker. I do so with the full knowledge this statement is under oath and must be truthful and accurate.

I wish to state for the record that I, in the month of November 1999, did have sexual relations with another woman. This disclosure of the fact is intended to be used as my full admission of guilt. For this record the woman in question will not be named for she was not married and did not break any vow. I am and will take full responsibility for my actions and will to blame no other. I would ask that woman in question remain anonymous for the proceeding and all guilt be laid at my feet. I am now aware that what I did not only affected me and the woman but many other. This act was the beginning of the end of my marriage with Janet Lane Parker.

It is true that no sin will go punished but the price paid has been great. I have lost a marriage, had to leave my family, and change employment. I did not know all I had to lose until it was lost.

If I could say that Janet asked me to leave for my infidelity I would not lay claim to any of our joint assets. However I do know for a fact that Janet Lane Parker did also at least one time break the covenant of our marriage. Her motives at this point are of no more consequence than my motives at the time of my failure.

Since we have both seen fit to break the vows of our marriage it is only fitting that such be dissolved. I was the first to commit adultery so by right I do accept the added weight of being first. But there is little difference other than timing.

I will not go into how I know of Janet's infidelity but I do know it is a true and accurate fact. As I understand he was not married either so I see no need in bringing his name into the statement since I was so chivalrous and kept my lovers name from these pages.

Again I say I take the loins share of the blame and wish only that the two events had never happened. I have instructed my attorney to request only 50% of the liquid assets, leaving the house entirely to Janet. I have not listed nor do I care to list any benefits held by Janet in retirement accounts. I hope that the court understands the reason I felt it best to move from the state and begin a new life.

This statement is true to the best of my knowledge and I offer it under oath.

Janet read the statement several times. She cried thinking of the things that Mark had not said. He did not go into any details of her adultery or how he came to know about it. He did not list Steve Hill or Jill Stanley by name and he accepted blame.

Janet sorted thru the balance of the papers but they were just the standard notary sheets and legal letter heads. Folding the pages she placed them back in the second envelope and sat quietly for a minute. She stood she walked to the judge. "Your honor, thank you allowing me to see the content of those envelopes. It really helped me a lot. Now if you will, please shred them and allow me to accept Mark Parker's offer."

Back in the court room the judge did pronounce his decision, the only deviation from standard was the decree would not be final for 6 months after it was filed. The norm was 60 days but the judge was adamant on the longer time. His reason was the plaintiff was out of state and the judge wanted him to have plenty of time to challenge, or even Janet for that matter.

Janet left the court room that Tuesday and went home. She had taken the week off for vacation. It was not that she wanted to use her vacation time for the hearing but more over she didn't want to have to go to the office after wards. Was it embarrassment or was it pride, she didn't know, Janet just knew she didn't want to face her subordinates or her superiors. At home that evening she found her mother. Hilda had asked to come to court and support her daughter but Janet had steadfastly refused.

Hilda got Janet to eat a light meal before putting her to bed with a mild sedative. Just after Janet was well into sleep the door bell rang. When the door opened Jill was greeted by a nun too friendly Hilda.

"Hello Jill, what can I do for you?"

"Mrs. Emerson I was just wanting to check on Janet. I know she has been in court and..." Jill stammered.

"And I am sure you know why she was in court." Hilda said in a harsh tone.

"Well yes, it was her divorce wasn't it? I know Janet has been dreading it fiercely." Jill responded meekly.

"And you know why she was in court today don't you?" Hilda demanded.

"Yes for the divorce," Jill said with a puzzled look.

"Don't give me that 'dumb blond' look Jill Stanley. You know what caused this divorce! You are part of it! The cause or the instigator! Now if you will excuse me I need to make sure my daughter is resting well."

"Just tell her I came by," Jill said with lowered head.

"I will, now good evening!" Hilda said shutting the door before Jill could respond. The sight of Jill Stanley got Hilda's blood to a boil. If she was a woman to swear she would have call her woman every explicative for a whore she could think of. Hilda had never liked Jill, feeling she was a woman without morals.

Janet rested the balance of the week, not bothering to leave the house. If it had not been for her mother to run her errands Janet would have been without food and drink. Ever since Mark had left Janet had forgone the chore of cooking. She would catch a bite on the way home or pick up something for the microwave. Hilda worried about Janet's health. A mother's love can be tested but it is a very strong bond. Hilda had and would continue to stand by her daughter.

While Janet was in court Mark was in Seattle moving out of the temporary quarters the company had furnished for him during the first months of his employment. Mark knew he needed to find his own place but could not find the desire to seek out an apartment for himself. All he had to move was the luggage he had brought with him from Nashville. He had not bothered to purchase anything but personal hygiene items, for the apartment was fully furnished. So packing was easy. Instead of looking for a place he headed out on the road to his first stop. He was establishing a routine. He seemed to have plenty of money and sent much of his extra cash back to Jeremy to invest for him. Mark was on the road when Jeremy called. Marked checked the ID and recognizing the number answered the call.

Much to his dismay he did not find closure in the news. All the heard was the divorce was granted he did not hear he had 6 months to contest it. He hung up and pulled to the side of the road. His heart was beating so hard he could see his shirt move. He looked at the phone. He even dialed Janet's number but couldn't complete the call. When he went to push the send button he heard the words, 'he just wouldn't leave till I gave him a blow job."

Mark sat on the side of the road and cried. He knew why he had refused to go to the proceeding. Mark was a coward. He could not bear the thoughts of reliving that night. And to have to do it in front of an audience would have been ten times worse.

Mark had been sitting on the side of the road long enough to attract the attention of the highway patrol. He had not seen the cruiser stop behind him. He jumped when he heard the knock on the window. Looking at the cop he rubbed his eyes and then hit the electric window control.

The trooper looked him over and asked, "Are you alright sir?"

"Yes I am fine, thanks officer."

It was obvious Mark had been crying. The policeman wondered what it was but didn't think it involved alcohol. "Would you step out sir?"

Mark killed the engine and threw the keys in the passenger seat by his cell phone. Standing was harder than Mark had imagined and he needed to be steadied by the officer.

"Are you sure you are alright. You are having trouble standing," the cop said looking hard at Mark before looking over his shoulder toward his partner.

"Yes, I am fine. I just got the news a close friend died in Nashville. It was expected but still I have the grief of the loss."

By that time the other policeman was checking the passenger side of the car. He opened the door and picked up the cell phone. He worked the phone and saw the last number dialed. He hit send. The phone rang at Janet's home. Hilda answered. "Park's residence."

"I'm sorry I was looking for a friend name John. I must have dialed the wrong number," the officer said.

"Yes I am afraid you did. This is the Parks residence and there is no one here by the name of John."

"Could you tell me what time it is?' the policeman asked.

Hilda was considering it a prank call but would go along for another minute. "It is 10 to 6 by my watch."

Then I have gotten a wrong number it is only 10 to 4 here. I am sorry, but could you tell what city I called so when the bill comes in I will recognize it."

"Very well sir, you have reached Nashville Tennessee, now since you obviously have the wrong number and my daughter is trying to sleep after a tragic day in her life I will say good-bye."

The policeman laid the phone back down and looked over the top of the car. "Where did you say your friend was from?"

Mark turned to see the officer for the first time. "Nashville Tennessee, why?"

"Thought that is where you said. I visited there once." With that said the officer walked back to the hood of the police cruiser. His partner took the hint and looked at Mark. "You have been thru quite a shock. You say you are well enough to drive and have not been drinking. We can't leave you on the side of the road. If you can drive you need to move on toward your destination. Let's do this, you get back on the road and we'll follow you. If we see you are capable of driving we will let you go on your way, if not we will have to pull you over and take you into protective custody."

That thought helped Mark pull it back together. He accepted the offer and was soon on the road. He was so busy driving he did not see the patrol car drop off his tail. At the first nice motel Mark pulled in for the night.

To be continued ...