Whose Fault Was It (Second Half) Ch. 03

Story Info
And Understanding of the Vow.
5.5k words
4.37
41.4k
14

Part 4 of the 10 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 07/06/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Janet and Mark work things out

Part 8

The next morning they slept late. Mark was up first and ordered coffee. When Janet awoke she was covered. Mark had pulled the spread over her when he had gotten up.

Janet sat up and looked around. When she saw Mark she smiled. "Glad last night wasn't a dream," she smiled. "What time is it?"

"Just about 8:30. I've called in and told them I'm taking the day off. I want you to do the same. We have several things to take care of today. I know they could wait but I don't want to. Now make your call please and get a shower while I order breakfast.

When Janet was in the shower Mark called the front desk. He asked that whatever they left in the room be moved to the Bridal Suite. The girl checked their reservation but reminded him it was only for the night. That done Mark was transferred to room service.

As Janet was showering a worried Hilda pulled into her daughter's drive. She had already called Janet's office and been told her daughter was not at work and had not called in. That worried Hilda. The fear that Janet had become the victim of some undesirable man was too much. She was going to check on her daughter. If she found her daughter had a man in the bedroom, Hilda would demand to meet him. She was a little relieved to see no strange car in the drive.

Ringing the door bell three times with no answer, Hilda used her key to go inside. What she saw frightened her. There on the entrance table was Janet's purse and phone. Fearing the worst Hilda started to retreat and call the police. She would have but for the fear Janet was badly injured and the delay might be deadly. Hilda fought her panic and began to search the house.

The breakfast table had plates with half eaten portions on them. The balance of the food was still in the paper take out container in the center of the table. That was something else to add to Hilda's anxiety. Janet was not one to leave a mess like that. Moving on to Janet's bedroom she saw the bed was neatly made but several drawers were half open like the place had been searched. Looking in Janet's bath room and finding it empty, Hilda searched the rest of the rooms. She had saved the master suite for last. It took all of Hilda's will power to step into that room.

The sight made Hilda break down. Through her tears she saw a messy bed; two wine glasses on the night stand. One glass empty, the other with lipstick on the rim was a quarter full. Hilda knew that Janet had not slept in this room since Mark had left. Even after the new furniture and remodel work, it was still not where Janet slept.

Thinking she had no choice Hilda ventured deeper into the room. She looked for signs of a struggle or blood. Hilda saw none. She looked on the far side of the bed and even under it. No Janet. At the moment not finding her daughter was as bad as finding her.

Into the master bath, Hilda didn't leave a stone unturned. She opened the door to the commode before heading into the walk in closet. There Hilda found a drawer open. It was the top drawer in one of the built in chests. It was empty but that didn't strike Hilda as unusual for most of this closet was empty. Janet just stored a few of her seasonal clothes in it.

Finding no Janet, either alive or dead, Hilda walked back to the door leading to the garage. There she found Janet's Mercedes parked. Now it was time to panic. Wondering if she should call the police Hilda went to the kitchen phone. There on the counter under the cordless phone mount was a tablet. On the top page was written, 'call Emma P' with a telephone number written under it.

Hilda picked up the phone and dialed the number. Emma was standing beside the phone about to call her doctor's office to make an appointment. She recognized the number and answered expecting Janet to be on the other end. "Hello stranger, been a long time," Emma said with a smile.

"Hello, this is Hilda Emerson; I'm Janet Parker's mother. I'm trying to locate Janet. I fear something terrible has happened to her. I found your number by her phone. I was about to call the police. Please can you tell me where Janet is?"

"Mrs. Emerson, this is Emma Parker. I recognized the number but as you can tell I was thinking it was Janet on the line. Why do you want to call the police?"

"I don't know what else to do. Janet had taken up with some...some... man I guess. When I came to get her for church Sunday there was a car in the drive. It was a cheap plain white Ford, the kind a policeman or public servant might drive, but it had out of state plates. That might make him some kind of traveling salesman or maybe a man on the run. When Janet didn't come to the door I let myself in. She came out of the hall to the master bedroom in just a man's shirt. I meant that is all. It barely covered her and not with any modesty. Janet was very vague and sent me on. She promised to explain it all later."

"Did she?" Emma asked.

"No, that's the problem. I came back by after church just in time to see her leave with someone in a yellow sports convertible automobile. They zipped off so fast I couldn't catch up. I called several times Sunday night but got no answer. All I got on her cell phone too was the machine."

"But that was Sunday morning you say?" Emma was a little concerned. She had not made her call till Sunday at 10 a.m. And she knew Mark had a white Ford but the yellow sports car was news to her. Emma wanted to know more. "Go on why are you worried now?"

"I call her first thing Monday morning. Janet is always early to work. She was late and when I did get thru to her about 11 she said she had a meeting and would explain it all later. She just said bye and hung up. Monday night she didn't answer the phone at home or her cell. I called Tuesday to her work and did barely get to talk with her again. She still refused to say anything to me about who she's seeing. I think she must be ashamed of him or her actions. I am just so worried. You hear of women that are lonely that men take advantage of. Now today, her secretary said Janet hadn't made it in and she hadn't heard for her either. I got no answer here today so I came over. And what I found confirmed my greatest fear."

"What did you find Mrs. Emerson?" Emma asked almost afraid of the answer.

I found the door locked but Janet's purse and cell phone on the entrance table. Her car is in the garage. There was spoiled food on the table, a messy bed in the master bedroom, and Janet's room had been ransacked. I know someone has taken advantage of Janet. You don't think she's..." Hilda began to cry.

"Mrs. Emerson I have a good idea what's going on but I'm not completely sure. Give me half an hour, if I can't find them you can call the police."

"Thank you Emma, that is all I know of you, but thank you all the same."

"Mrs. Emerson this is Emma Parker, Mark's sister-in-law."

That surprised Hilda for it was Jeremy, Emma's husband that had represented Mark in the divorce. But at that moment Hilda would have talked to the Devil himself to find out where her daughter was.

Emma called Jeremy. She asked first if Mark had a small yellow car. Jeremy confirmed that he had in fact purchased one but Jeremy hadn't seen it yet. Then she asked if Jeremy had heard from Mark today. Jeremy said that Mark had called to say he had a legal issue to handle. He had offered to help but Mark refused saying he would not be needed. Jeremy surmised that Mark was finally going to change his driver's license from Washington to Tennessee.

Emma tried Mark's cell phone but got no answer. She tried his apartment but got nothing but voice mail. With the time about up Emma found and called one last number. If she had no luck there Emma would have to call Hilda and tell Janet's frantic mother all she knew. The phone rang and was answered, "Bentley Imperial Hotel, how may I direct your call?"

"I am trying to reach a Mark Parker, is he registered there?"

"One moment please," Emma could hear typing in the background, "Yes we have a Mr. and Mrs. Mark Parker as guest here. May I put you thru?" The clerk had seen the flag and knew what it meant.

"Yes if you will, it is most urgent." The woman smiled and thought, yes bet it is, the jig is up. The clerk would listen long enough to make sure there was no threat to the hotel before she silently cleared off the line. But the room had no answer. Coming back on the line the clerk asked Emma to hold while she tried to locate the guests. Alerting the front desk the efficient crew found Mark and Janet on their way out of the hotel.

A bell hop stopped Mark in the lobby and told him of the urgent phone call. He was directed to a private phone with Janet close behind. Picking up the line Mark was surprised. "This is Mark Parker."

"Mark this is Emma, I'm glad I found you, there's a problem."

"Emma how did you find me?" he asked.

"Mark that isn't important now, is Janet with you, and I mean right now?"

"Yes Emma, Janet's here." Mark replied as he looked at Janet.

"Good, put her on the phone," then Emma added, "Please."

"Ok sure, here she is." Mark handed the phone to Janet.

Janet knew who it was and was just a little apprehensive, "Hello"

"Janet this is Emma, and I sure am glad I caught you two. You have a problem. Your mother is about to call the police. She thinks you have been kidnapped or killed. I promised her I would call her back in half an hour. That was 25 minutes ago. Now you have to promise to call her, because if you don't I will have to tell her where you are."

"Emma where is mother?" Janet asked.

Mark thought that Hilda was in a hospital or had been in an accident. He watched Janet closely.

"She called me from your house. You had left my number by your phone so out of desperation she called me. I'm glad in a way, otherwise she would have called the cops. Your face would be on the news by now."

"Thanks Emma, I owe you a lot. I'll call her and let her know I'm ok. If I miss her at the house I'll call her cell. And thanks again."

"It is the least a sister-in-law could do," Emma said before she realized they were no longer related by marriage.

"Got to go if I'm going to catch mom before she calls the police. Bye Emma." Janet hung up and as she dialed the phone she explained to Mark as best she could the situation.

The phone didn't ring on Janet's end before Hilda answered. "Mom, I'm sorry about worrying you but things have just been so hectic for the last few days."

"Janet where are you? I've been worried sick. What are you trying to do to me! Why won't you tell me what you are doing? Your secretary won't say anything either."

"Mother I just spent the night in a hotel. It's a complicated story and I need to run. We have some things to do and I will see you tonight at home." As Janet said that, Marks shook his head then mouthed 'tomorrow night'.

"Make that tomorrow night mother."

"Janet what are you hiding. You not with a woman are you?" Hilda blurted out.

Janet had a good laugh, "No mother that's not it at all, but it might be just as surprising. Now I really have to go. Just trust me and know that I'm safer that I have been in a long time."

Hilda didn't want to take that answer but she had no choice. The call had come in as an unknown on the caller id. All the impatient mother could do was wait for Thursday. She hung up and was looking at the phone. Just then the phone rang again. This time it was Emma to make sure that Janet had indeed called. Emma was told that Janet had called but was still evasive. Hilda then pressed Emma. All she got was the promise to tell all she knew if Janet didn't follow thru on Thursday.

When Emma hung up she called her doctor. She intended to do just as her husband had requested.

Mark took Janet home. He sat her on her couch and knelt on the floor in front of her. Looking up with just a hint of fear in his eyes Mark began. "Janet I know what I did was wrong, not just with Jill but by leaving too. I should have stayed and tried to work it out. I ran because I thought I had lost you. I know what you did to your first husband when you found he had been unfaithful. I just couldn't face the idea of hearing you say it to me. I know that was wrong. I left for 9 ½ long years. Believe me the weight of them has been heavy on me for the last few days. I realize what I gave up. I might not deserve it but I want to ask you to remarry me."

Janet began to cry. Many years earlier she had given up hope of ever having Mark back. She too had felt the weight of her mistake. Janet didn't answer with words, instead she kissed Mark with all the passion in her soul. When she broke the kiss she held his head with her palms on his cheeks. "Yes Mark, you will never know how desperately I want just that."

An hour later they were purchasing the marriage license. Mark had to go by his apartment and get his voters registration to prove residency in Tennessee. With the paper in hand Mark asked her when she wanted to have the ceremony. Janet smiled and said, "Today! And I know who I want to marry us if he's still here."

"Don't we need a preacher?" Mark stammered.

"Or a Justice of the Peace, or a Judge. I know a judge that might do it now," Janet smiled.

Checking with the clerk Janet found Judge Stone was still on the bench. His office was on the 6th floor. Janet led the way and almost begged the clerk to see the Judge. Finally the clerk relented and checked with the Judge Stone. All that Janet had told the women was she needed advice on her marriage.

When they were guided into the office Janet remembered it all too well. "Judge Stone I want to thank you for your time. You might not remember me but you presided over my divorce. I never forgot what you said."

"I'm sorry to say I don't remember the case Mrs. Parker, but please don't be offended. I have had far too many before my bench for that purpose. It is a product of our society it seems," the Judge lamented.

"That is the reason we are here. We failed with our first attempt at marriage. We want, more correctly I want you to explain the full meaning to the vows. I believe neither of us really heard the words we recited." Janet smiled.

"Why do you say that?" Judge Stone asked.

"During the proceeding you kept mentioning that people don't seem to listen to the vow, they just repeat the word. That made an impression on me, I realized I didn't really know what the vow said." Janet explained.

The Judge rubbed his chin. "I am glad I made an impression on someone."

"What did you think of my concept young man?" Judge Stone asked of Mark.

"I am sorry, but I wasn't there. My brother Jeremy Parker represented me." Mark said as he hung his head down in shame.

"I believe I remember the case now that you mentioned Esquire Parker."

Mark looked at the Judge, "Oh I guess it's just my age. I sometimes still refer to representatives of the law by the English title of 'Esquire', guess I am a relic." Judge Stone took a long look at Mark. "If I remember you left, more of a disappearance. I always wondered why. It has been how many years now?"

"About 9 ½ and do I call you Judge or Mr. Stone, or your Honor?" Mark questioned.

"I will answer to all. Nine years is a long time. May I be personal and ask if you were involved in some legal matter that required you do be incarcerated?"

Mark again ducked his head, "No Judge Stone, I was working as a traveling salesman for a company out of Seattle. I can give you my old bosses name if you want to verify that. But I will say it seemed like a prison sentence."

"Mr. Parker, the reason for incarceration is for the person to reflect on their crime and learn from the experience of losing their freedoms. Since you said the time was like a jail term may I ask if you learned anything from that ordeal?"

"Judge Stone I learned a lot. And it really hit home when I saw in the flesh what I had lost." Mark said looking at Janet and taking her hand.

The Judge turned to Janet. "Mrs. Parker, I find it strange that a woman that uses the title of Mrs. is in my chambers seeking to be married. But I understand from the paper in front of me you are indeed single. So I will ask you the same question as I asked Mr. Parker. Did you learn anything for the experience?"

"Yes Your Honor, I did. I learned that...that I had to lose what was most valuable to really appreciate it. And I want you to explain in as much detail as you can the meaning and the intent of the marriage vow. If at the end of the explanation you feel either of us is not ready yet we will not ask you to perform the ceremony."

"Very well, but I will start by saying this. I have a strong belief in GOD as creator of the universe and the ultimate judge of all of mankind. If you will allow me that I will begin."

Both Janet and Mark nodded. They held hands as the Judge explained the entire meaning of the vows. After an hour he was happy to perform the ceremony and pronounce them man and wife.

Mark asked what he owed the Judge. He smiled and said it was his pleasure, but they had best never be before his bench again unless it was for aid in retaining the marriage. Mark asked if the Judge was married. He smiled and said yes for almost 50 years. Mark's comment that his wife was a lucky lady drew the response that he, the Judge, that was the lucky one. However Mrs. Stone might have a different take on her luck of the draw. Mark left $300.00 on the Judge's desk. Judge Stone felt that might be too much. Mark responded that the Judge owned his wife the best dinner in town. The Judge accepted the money for that reason alone.

The next stop was at Janet's jewelry store. Mark wanted to purchase her a new wedding band. She refused. Janet reasoned that if this ring had been good enough for the last 14 ½ years it was good enough for the next 15. A fast thinking jeweler wanting to make a sale offered a suggestion. "Why not purchase a 'Foundation Band' as he called it. Actually he had just invented the term. He explained it would be a new band that went under the original band. His sales pitch was they were popular with married couples that reaffirmed their vows in a ceremony.

The crafty old jeweler sold them a white gold band with 15 diamonds on it. The largest stone was in the center of the ring. On each side were two rows of three smaller diamonds making thirteen in all. No one would buy a ring with 13 diamonds so he had added a stone on each end. These two were smaller than the center stone but larger than the doubles. The result was 15 diamonds. He now unloaded it for what he had in it. It was a win/win situation.

Mark had left to pay for the ring. Janet was standing with a very happy jeweler. "That looks so nice on your finger Mrs. Parker; it was just made for you."

Janet looked at the three ring set on her finger and had to agree. Looking down into the counter Janet pointed to an item. "I want that. Can you give it to me quickly and bill me?"

The jeweler knew Janet well. She was a steady customer. The item was not all that expensive, it was an easy choice.

Back in the car Janet looked at Mark. "Where to now Mr. Parker, home?"

"Not quite yet, Mrs. Parker."

A few minutes later they were back at the Bentley Imperial. Mark went to the desk and was greeted by the same Harold Braxton. "Good evening sir, how may I help you this evening?'

Mark smiled, "I would like the Bridal Suite please."

Harold smiled knowing it was reserved. "Sorry sir the Bridal Suite is reserved."

"It sure is and I'm the one that reserved it." Mark smiled.

Harold raised his eyebrows. He did check and see that in fact one Mark Parker did have the reservation. Trying to bluff Harold shook his head as if to say Mark was wrong.

Mark smiled and leaned over the counter. "Mr. Braxton, may I call you Harold?"

"Yes sir if you wish."

12