Wicked Angel

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It's alright Jon. I've thought about it, and honestly because of you, I found freedom and happiness. I needed to get away from dad, and from Siu to realize it. Are...the two of you together?"

"No!" Jon frowned. "I never...I was never interested in her. I guess she thought that I was. Anyway, it was really your connection with Lily. I was jealous of it; since we're being honest. Maybe you didn't see it at the time, but she seemed to have feelings for you. I was angry at you for it. You had two beautiful women who loved you, and you were always the favorite. I never got that close to anyone. I went to Siu, and I told her how I felt. I thought that you were cheating, or something. I felt like it wasn't fair to her...or to me, I guess."

Jace sighed, and didn't know how to reply to that. He had been the apple of many a women's eye, and so had his brother. Although it was obvious that Jon had his choice of many beautiful women, his past had probably left him bruised and bitter. It was the rejection of their dying mother that led Jon to envy what he had. This line of thinking was probably irrational, but Jace still understood and pitied him. He wondered if his brother's incapability of finding love really was his fault after all.

"I should apologize too." Jace replied. "I know what you've been through, and at the time I was going through my own problems at school. I know you've suffered, and I'm sorry. When dad told me everything I felt guilty. I didn't want to fight with you anymore. You're still with the company, and it's because you feel that you deserve to be there, right? As punishment?"

Jon didn't reply.

"Are you punishing yourself by staying with him?" Jace asked again, but with more sympathy.

"He needs me. I'm meant to take his place." Jon replied dispassionately.

"No Jon. You're meant to do more than what he's cut out for you. Do you really think you'd be happy there? Can you even imagine being stuck in that place for the rest of your life? Look at your designs. You're an amazing architect!"

"It's not about my happiness. It's about responsibility." Jon replied in a robotic tone.

"Those are his words, not yours. Mom wouldn't have wanted you to be trapped like this. She let dad bind you to the company, but she really wanted us to make our own way. You deserve to be free of him. I understand that he loves us and wants us to be successful, but we're different from the type of man he is. We were happy with the freedom mom offered us."

Jon stared into the bubbling pitcher of beer, and didn't look at his brother for a while. It wasn't a simple decision; Jace knew that much. Yet, he hadn't come to their meeting empty handed, or with a lack of ideas. He not only wanted to reunite with his brother, but he wanted to offer him a way out.

"Listen..." Jace said after a few moments of silence. "I can't bear to see you like this. I've been worried about you for a long time, and I'm going to do everything I can to get you out of this mess."

"What's this? "Jon smiled humorlessly. "I'm the older brother. I'm the one who's supposed to worry about you."

"Maybe so, but I'm not going to abandon you. I left you alone all those years ago, and I won't do it again."

Jace lifted his briefcase to the empty surface of their table, and withdrew a leather portfolio from inside. He handed it to his brother, who accepted it, but gave him a curious look nonetheless.

"As you know, my company has done well for its size, and I wanted to offer you a contract on Lily's and my behalf. I know that you do very well without my help, but you've always had a passion for building things. We've decided to construct two new offices. They won't be on the same scale as dad's buildings, but with your help, we can make the most of what we do have. We'd like to start off small, and see where the future takes us. I'll leave the designs in your capable hands, and compensate you...as a partner, if you think it's best to join us."

Jon had thumbed through the portfolio with a blank expression on his face, but then he smiled. The folder contained images of two vacant lots, and various documents giving details of the requirements he would have to meet once he accepted the contract. Jace was willing to give him full run of the building's construction, to at least make amends for the past. Maybe then Jon would finally decide to become independent of their father. Together, they could show him that they were both capable of leading their own lives.

Jon's eyes had grown glossy then. Jace smiled, because he knew exactly what his brother felt. He felt it too. They had been at war for far too long.

"Jace, this is..." Jon said hoarsely. "I don't know what to say."

"I've taken the liberty of contacting two construction companies. They're ready to work under your supervision. I trust you to do this Jon. You're the best man for the job."

"Thank you Jay. You had the strength to walk away when I couldn't. Maybe I should take a lesson from you. It feels weird to be indebted to my little brother."

"You haven't called me that since we were kids. It feels good to hear it. I missed you, and I want you to meet my daughter. I can't let her grow up without meeting her uncle, can I?" Jace grinned.

"I guess not." Jon said, with another weak smile. "Lily...doesn't hold a grudge against me, does she?"

"No, in fact it we both came up with the idea of setting up this contract for you. I ran it by dad first, because we would be taking you away from your duties. He was alright with it, and said he would have someone else fill in for you, until you made a definite decision. Lily's been hounding me for a while to make up with you, and I wanted to. I just didn't know how, or where to start."

The waiter arrived with their pizza, and set it down on the table, with a straw basket piled with warm Zeppoles. The tiny puffs filled the air with the pleasant aroma of vanilla and cinnamon, and Jace felt the nostalgia of this familiar setting returning. He had ridiculously felt out of place here, when he first entered this modest diner. He had grown accustomed to the prim and proper restaurants which expected nothing but the best behavior from their patrons. Here he could put all that aside, and focus on his brother; his family.

He had reached out to the pastry basket, and quickly popped one of the round puffs into his mouth. Jon began to laugh at him because the white, powdered sugar had clung to his lips.

Jon snickered, "No dessert before lunch, remember? What would mom say if she could see you now?"

Their mother had always reminded them to keep their hands off their desserts before a meal, but Jace had always gone for the sweets first; especially if he got the chance. Their pizza slices were usually the last things to cool off, which always gave him an excuse.

"You knew I wouldn't be able to resist." Jace laughed. "Anyway, I think she'd be happy to see us here, together. We're slowly getting back on track."

Slowly, had been the right word. Jace hoped that they would be able to continue this tradition, and their enmity would one day be forgotten. Years of feuding had conditioned him to expect arrogance, but maybe there was still hope for the Avery brothers.

This was no fairy tale ending. At least not for Jon anyway. They had a lot of work to do before they could truly go back to being family. For all the betrayals and pain that was wrought, they would need time to heal, and let their guards down. Their story definitely didn't end here. Something told Jace that his brother wouldn't be doomed for the rest of his life. Things had, and always would change. Their journeys through life had only just begun.

End