Willie's War Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Snurge
Snurge
132 Followers

Stunned, Willie stepped back. What had happened to the beautiful face of that beautiful young man he had once known?

"I'm not such a good looking catch anymore I fear." Eduard murmured grimly, "The British have some aircraft nearly as good as our own, and one of them put a couple of canon shots into my engine and set it burning. I couldn't bale out quick enough to avoid the flames completely, and I've spent a good deal of time being patched up. The doctors took a lot of trouble with me and did quite a good job I think."

After a moment of surprise and panic Willie decided the disfigurement didn't matter. A person could become used to that kind of thing and love could make a person blind to it. But there had to be love. Could things pick up with Eduard from where they'd left off such a long time ago?

He felt uneasy and unsure of himself. It had been over two years since they had last spoken together. "The English would say that a lot of water as passed under the bridge since we last saw each other." he said in a subdued voice.

The heart of Eduard Dietz beat quick and his feet shuffled awkwardly. He wanted Willie Froehlich again, needed him more than ever, not just physically but mentally and emotionally too. He had never met anyone else who was so artless and so willing to surrender himself to passion, and yet showed such patience and understanding too. But he was a proud man, and he was determined that Willie should feel no obligation to him. It was unthinkable that he should insist on a continuance of their previous relationship and encumber the sweet thing with a disfigured version of his former self.

"Yes, A lot as happened," he said blandly, "Nothing stays the same. Things move on. The soldiers who guard us tell how the Japanese are in the war now, and the Americans have come in on the side of the British."

"People call the war of 1914-18 the Great War, but this one is even bigger."

"Yes, it's on track to being the bloodiest conflict in human history. But it should not concern you or I any longer. I think we are both out of it now."

"You must have suffered a lot of pain. Your wounds, do they trouble you still?"

"They ache a little in bad weather, but I'm told that will rectify in time."

"You seem to think and speak just as you always did. Your ordeal doesn't appear to have affected you on the inside."

"No, no. I'm exactly the same in my head. They would need to put a canon shot in my brain to change me there."

"Where are you going now?"

"I'm on my way to sit in on a lecture about modern art in Hut 9. Dry as dust stuff I expect, but it will help to pass the time. You should come along. You would probably enjoy it."

"I'm on my way there now. I'm giving the lecture you see, so don't be cruel. It won't be as dry as dust stuff. Cubists and surrealists like Dali and Duchamp are very fashionable now, and I know something about them."

"You, giving a lecture? But you never finished at university."

"Blame the war for that. There will be no more than a dozen people there to enthral with what I know, and I'm sure I can do it."

Eduard smiled. "Hut 9 will be crammed with art-philistines just attending to admire the beautiful lecturer."

Suddenly a tidal wave of emotion rolled over Willie's senses, and he thrust out his hand. "Shall we go together?"

Eduard Dietz's Adams apple bobbed has he swallowed, and he grasped the offered hand and gripped it like he was holding on to save his life. "Yes, together would be nice."

A ray of spring sunshine washed over Willie's face as he looked up, and in his eyes shone with all the elements that made him what he was: trustful, strength without arrogance, a desire to give and receive pleasure - and honesty so pure that deception, if ever contemplated, could never succeed.

"If you have time afterwards I can borrow a gramophone and play some music. I'll teach you how to jitterbug." he said.

"Jitter-what?"

"It's a new kind of dance. It's fun. You'll enjoy it."

"I'm sure I will. Whatever you enjoy, I will enjoy too."

Unhurried, taking their time and oblivious to the men who whooped and wolf-whistled around them, the two of them walked hand in hand towards Hut 9.

And in Berkeley Square a nightingale began to sing.

Snurge
Snurge
132 Followers