Winds of Change

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"When do we leave?" The chill in Michelle's voice actually frosted the windows.

"Now," Mike said flatly. He was used to John yelling at him so he took Michelle's coolness in stride. "Follow me," he said flatly, getting up and walking to the door where he waited for them.

Nodding at Michelle, John rose offering her, his hand. She took his hand and got up off the couch. They both turned and walked to the door. Mike was holding it open for them. In the hall, they turned right and followed Mike. When they came to a set of stairs they went down six floors, then turned to the left and down three doors. At the forth door, they entered a large room. John had been here before. The portal was open and sparks were shooting across the poles.

"Michelle is first," John said.

"It's set up for you John," Mike said.

"Michelle first, or the deal is off."

"Reset for the woman," Mike yelled.

"Resetting for the woman," a voice boomed across the room. "In three, two, one, ready," the voice said.

Mike took Michelle's hand, "It won't hurt. You will never realize you were gone."

Nodding, Michelle looked back at John. John smiled, then nodded for her to go. "I'll see you on the other side," he yelled to be heard over the snaps of the sparks flying around the room.

Michelle stepped through the portal and was gone.

"In three, two, one, ready," the voice boomed again.

John looked at Mike. "If she's not there, no deal," he said.

"She's there, you have my word."

John nodded, thinking how much Mike's word was worth once he stepped through the portal. Then he was stepping through...

Chapter 54

"You okay boss," Jimmy was asking.

Shaking his head, John found himself on his knees. He looked around the room at all his friends. "Yes, yes, I'm fine," he said getting to his feet. "Just a little pre-marital jitters," John told him. Then he caught sight of Michelle as she walked down the aisle. "I'm more than fine buddy, more than fine." John couldn't stop smiling as he watched his bride to be, walk towards him.

Michelle finally made it to the altar, the minister started, "Who gives this woman to this man?"

Michelle's father smiled up at John, "I do!" he exclaimed in a loud clear voice.

Then Michelle was standing beside John, her delicate hand in his big beefy one. She was smiling, tears rolling down her cheeks non-stop. John's cheeks hurt from holding his smile for so long.

"You may kiss the bride," the minister said.

John didn't even remember what he said until he leaned in and kissed Michelle gently on the lips.

"I love you," he whispered.

"I love you too," she whispered back.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. Go forth, live your life and enjoy the future together." The minister held his hands in the air. "I present to you, John and Michelle Abernathy, let us welcome them to their future together." The church was filled with applause and cheering. Michelle looked embarrassed and John couldn't stop smiling.

Taking Michelle's hand she and John both walked back down the aisle, Susan and Jimmy following them. At the door, they turned and then thanked all their friends and family for joining them on this happy occasion. Two hours later, they arrived at the reception hall, where the party was in full swing. Jimmy laughed as they entered the VFW hall, which had graciously rented them the hall for one dollar. For the next three hours, John danced with Michelle, her mother, Susan, Bobbie and half the women of Barnes County. Carol was the next to last to dance with John. Then John danced once more with his bride and they called it a night.

At the ranch, after a full parade through town led by three Highway Patrol vehicles, sirens blaring, John and Michelle sat in bed sipping Champagne. Both were exhausted. The lights out, they slipped under the covers and held each other close. Darkness overtook their thoughts.

~~~ [time] ~~~

The next morning, John was in the barn, saddling his chestnut when Michelle joined him.

"Going someplace?" she queried.

"Yes. It's time. Would you like to come?"

"Yes."

Michelle saddled the pinto and joined John in the corral. John helped his bride up into the saddle then he climbed into the saddle on the chestnut. John led the way out into the pasture. They were taking a trail Michelle had never ridden, with John or alone. Rudy trotted alongside her horse, looking up at her.

"Scout," she told him pointing down the trail. "Why is he looking to me?"

"He's yours now," John told her.

Surprised, she nodded, then smiled broadly. "Then I guess that means you're mine too?"

"It does," John smiled at her.

"Good."

An hour later, John brought them to a halt. Climbing down off the chestnut, he helped Michelle off her pinto. Then he walked to a large boulder, knelt down and started digging with his hands. Seconds later, he had a small metal box in his hand.

"May I," Michelle asked holding her hand out toward John.

Nodding, John handed the box to her. Smiling, Michelle took the metal box, opened it and took the small brown envelope from inside. She handed the metal box back to John.

"You're sure?" she asked.

Nodding, John turned away looking down at the metal box in his hand. He closed his eyes. Michelle spilled the disk from the envelope into her hand. She stuffed the envelope in her jacket pocket. Reaching into her shirt pocket, Michelle drew out a small circular magnet. Taking a deep breath, she laid the magnet atop the disk. She did the same to the other side of the disk.

She threw the magnet into the boulders and placed the disk back in the envelope. Reaching around John she gently opened the metal box and dropped the envelope inside. She closed the box and tapped John on the shoulder gently. John nodded, opened his eyes and opened the box. He took the envelope from the box and spilled the disk into his palm. He handed the envelope to Michelle.

Taking an object from his pocket, John placed it on the disk and pressed the button. His thoughts caused emotions to flash across his face as he pressed the object to both sides of the disk. He then dropped the object to the ground and ground his boot heel on top of it. He took the envelope from Michelle, put the disk back inside.

"Well, let's get this back to its rightful owners," John said pushing the envelope in his shirt pocket.

"But, first we take it to my lab and grind off those instructions," Michelle said.

"Right, but that can wait until tomorrow. Tonight I have a date with my wife."

"You do? She's one lucky lady," Michelle giggled. John smiled at his wife as they both sat upon their mounts.

"Call in Rudy," John told her.

"Right," she said. "Rudy, come," Michelle shouted. A black streak bolted from the tall grass to their right only to skid to a halt beside his mistress' horse.

"Scout," Michelle said, pointing down the trail toward her new home.

Rudy trotted off in the direction she pointed.

Epilogue

"Did he press the button?" James Alanson asked.

"Yes, he pressed the button," Michael Williams told him.

"Well?"

"The only data we received was the signal of the button being pressed, twice."

"God damn it! Pull them back here!"

"You can't."

"Don't tell me what I can or can't do," Alanson almost shouted.

"After they were sent back, the council, in accordance with the deal made with Mister Abernathy, locked out both his and Miss Wilfinger's bio-signature from the portal. We can never retrieve them again." Mike explained

"Well then put them back in," Alanson shouted.

"HOLD," a voice boomed from overhead.

"Shit," Alanson hissed running his hands through his hair, a look of consternation on his face, now suffused with red.

"There will be no further attempts to retrieve Mister Abernathy from the time stream by order of the Supreme Council of Shonda," the voice from above said. "Furthermore, Mister Alanson will report to Councilman Carstairs, immediately."

Alanson's face turned white with fright.

"Well, you're in for it now Jim," Mike said softly as he watched his supervisor walk slowly out of the control room.

# # The End # #